Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,760 members, 7,824,182 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:15 AM

40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb (25127 Views)

10 Misused English Words That Make Smart People Look Silly / List Of Commonly Used Words In Nigeria That Are Not In Dictionary / 10 Words And Phrarses That Too Many People Say Incorrectly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by Nobody: 2:25pm On Dec 04, 2014
I used to/I am used to..verb+ing
The first means you are reporting something you did in the past and have stopped while the other is still on going.
Example1: I used to go shopping... but my kids do that now.
Example2: I am used to buying things from Shoprite...you still stick with them.
You can still say: I am used to Shoprite..you have been accustomed to them.
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by Pdizzle(m): 2:30pm On Dec 04, 2014
ITbomb:

I use it interchangeably but deep down, I know something is not right
Example

Increasing pressure will make oil production more effective / efficient

In a lay man's word, efficiency and effectiveness are towards a common end. Being effective is getting the job done, but being efficient is getting the job done with the least cost incurred such as time, money, strength etc.
For example if a rat enters your room, and you killed it, but in the process you broke plates and glass cups, you were effective but not efficient due to the cost incurred. But let's say you got a stick and killed it on the first strike, you were efficient.

1 Like

Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by babaluckey: 2:35pm On Dec 04, 2014
I like american english pass british english...akatah no send, dey nack their english as dem like...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by geedot: 3:09pm On Dec 04, 2014
What about "Borrow" Ãήϑ "Lend"?
Borrow- means take while,
Lend- means give..
Ε̲̣̣̣̥ .g: Σαท ℓ borrow/take Your̶̲̥̅̊ book?
Σαท y̶̲̥̅̊o̶̲̥̅̊и lend/give ♍ƺ Your̶̲̥̅̊ pen?..
Cheers! More still coming..

1 Like

Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by papaejima1: 3:48pm On Dec 04, 2014
Please tell them about "Being" and "Been"
Most Nigerians kill these two words. Even some topics on Frontpage are guilty of this.
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by Blankstare(m): 4:09pm On Dec 04, 2014
My headache for a longtime.
ITbomb:
What of Efficient and Effective
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by coolzeal(m): 4:57pm On Dec 04, 2014
Amazing. Nice one op.
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by DAVE5(m): 5:40pm On Dec 04, 2014
holatin:
kk
No wonder I woo pastor oyedepo daughter and she said No.

So na because of my Engrish

must u be on first page of every thread i visit, mtttteeeeewwww

are u a wizard, how do you do it sef grin angry
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by holatin(m): 5:44pm On Dec 04, 2014
DAVE5:

must u be on first page of every thread i visit, mtttteeeeewwww

are u a wizard, how do you do it sef grin angry
what do u expect from someone obasanjo fathered
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by DAVE5(m): 6:04pm On Dec 04, 2014
holatin:

what do u expect from someone obasanjo fathered

u get mouth grin

but shei u know u can lie sha, obj fathered you
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by holatin(m): 6:33pm On Dec 04, 2014
DAVE5:

u get mouth grin

but shei u know u can lie sha, obj fathered you
obasanjo tajudeen not olusegun obasanjo
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by laykhorn(m): 6:39pm On Dec 04, 2014
LordReed:

Excuse me, what is the difference between spectacle(s) and glasses?

BTW "toaster" is slang so it is permitted whatever the original meaning.
They actually mean same, but you use Spec when its on you, glass when not in use.
Toaster is the word for Electric Toastbread Machine... Admirer seem the right word for what people use it.
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by DAVE5(m): 6:53pm On Dec 04, 2014
holatin:
obasanjo tajudeen not olusegun obasanjo

hmmnn...no wonder
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by holatin(m): 7:22pm On Dec 04, 2014
DAVE5:

hmmnn...no wonder
i dnt like u much so leave me alone
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by DAVE5(m): 8:00pm On Dec 04, 2014
holatin:
i dnt like u much so leave me alone

sorry ohh, i wasn't expecting u 2 like me niqqa undecided

wharefer jare
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by tuneryblue(m): 10:05pm On Dec 04, 2014
Its, sorry it is Oyedepo's daughter and not 'oyedepo daughter'..... English yi na nikan
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by tuneryblue(m): 10:11pm On Dec 04, 2014
What about :
neither / either
i'm / am
stood / stool
loose/lose
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by Jasperwhizz(m): 11:07pm On Dec 04, 2014
colossus2:
English hard sha embarassed

Na only for India film lecturer go catch student with expo and dem go begin dance
that is eerie imagination so-called fiction.
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by professore(m): 12:12am On Dec 05, 2014
I dey follow based on the things I don learn
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by LordReed(m): 12:48am On Dec 05, 2014
laykhorn:

They actually mean same, but you use Spec when its on you, glass when not in use.
Toaster is the word for Electric Toastbread Machine... Admirer seem the right word for what people use it.

These are your own personal rules and not general English grammar rules.

Spectacles is a synonym for glasses so it can be freely substituted for glasses on or off you.

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/glasses
Main Entry: glasses
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: object worn to correct vision
Synonyms: bifocals, blinkers, cheaters, contact
lenses, eyeglasses, four eyes, frames, goggles,
lorgnette, pince-nez, rims, shades, specs,
spectacles, trifocals

Toaster I repeat is slang and can be used, same way dough, cheese, pepper are used as slangs for money. Slangs are not formal English and so do not follow normal grammar rules but you cannot use them in formal writing.

1 Like

Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by laykhorn(m): 6:56am On Dec 05, 2014
LordReed:

These are your own personal rules and not general English grammar rules.

Spectacles is a synonym for glasses so it can be freely substituted for glasses on or off you.

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/glasses
Main Entry: glasses
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: object worn to correct vision
Synonyms: bifocals, blinkers, cheaters, contact
lenses, eyeglasses, four eyes, frames, goggles,
lorgnette, pince-nez, rims, shades, specs,
spectacles, trifocals
Why would I want to influence English with my personal rules and come up here to state it. My Dad would just call you to correct you when you use such word in the wrong frame. He used to be an English Language teacher till over a decade ago when he started Lecturing. I used one of his old 70s Textbook for UME and most of those things including that of Glass and Spec is in it. It was misplaced by me and It doesnt has a back cover, I would have tried to remember its Title.
Toaster I repeat is slang and can be used, same way dough, cheese, pepper are used as slangs for money. Slangs are not formal English and so do not follow normal grammar rules but you cannot use them in formal writing.

Is this in the Dictionary?
Do those using it know its a slang?
Most of them say it and think they've used a mighty English word.
In all, I take your corrections and I've atleast learnt something. Thank You
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by Nobody: 6:15pm On Dec 07, 2014
[quote author=laykhorn post=28606575]
Why would I want to influence English with my personal rules and come up here to state it. My Dad would just call you to correct you when you use such word in the wrong frame. He used to be an English Language teacher till over a decade ago when he started Lecturing. I used one of his old 70s Textbook for UME and most of those things including that of Glass and Spec is in it. It was misplaced by me and It doesnt has a back cover
Hmmmm..... lecturer's child. 'It doesnt has a back cover' is wrong. The correct sentence is 'it does not have a back cover'.
Another correction. 'Till over a decade' is wrong. You should say 'for a decade'.
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by Nobody: 6:24pm On Dec 07, 2014
People always use sabatical leave. It is wrong. It should, I am on sabatical.
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by Nobody: 8:52am On Dec 10, 2014
[quote author=Jimmychoo post=28675531][/quote]
Nice one!
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by natalyanders: 11:44pm On Jan 31, 2016
I would add misused words like maybe and may be, every and versus everyday, some time and sometime.
Maybe – perhaps or possibly (as in something might happen),
may be – has the ability to happen (as in implies something can happen).  

Every day – means each day individually,
everyday – (acts as an adjective) means: frequent or often.

Some time - an extended period of time. Here the word “time” acts as a noun and the word “some” acts as an adjective describing time. Sometime - at some unspecified point of time. Sometime is an adverb telling when.

If I have some doubts I use dictionaries(like http://www.dictionary.net/). Hope this helpful information...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

UNN Students Thrown Out Of The Hostel In Enugu (pics) / 5 Qualities Of 'first Class' Students / Professor Fawole Adeniran Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.