Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,926 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:23 PM

What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' (6448 Views)

Jamb! This Better Be True!!! Please Help My Cousin Confirm This.. / What You Don't Know About National Open University Of Nigeria (noun) / The Origin Of The Word Oyibo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by Mrwhalex(m): 3:50am On Dec 05, 2014
Using Matrix makes it more complicating
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by Nobody: 4:20am On Dec 05, 2014
Esdb:
I was taken aback when I saw this too.
And this can cause confusion so read fastidiously.

The children of brothers and sisters are First cousins to each other.

The children of first cousins are second cousins to each other. The child of one's first cousin and the first cousin[/b]of one's parents is one's [b]first cousin first removed.

The grand child of one's first cousin or the first cousin of one's grand child is one's second cousin twice removed .

Phew! The top of my head hurts from trying to know what that means. I got lost at the first removed part whoevver understands pls do explain.

Torh... I read this and it explained a bit to me what all that means... Hope it does to you too.

If someone walked up to you and said "Howdy, I'm your third cousin, twice removed," would you have any idea what they meant?
Most people have a good understanding of basic relationship words such as "mother," "father," "aunt," "uncle," "brother," and "sister." But what about the relationship terms that we don't use in everyday speech? Terms like "second cousin" and "first cousin, once removed"? We don't tend to speak about our relationships in such exact terms ("cousin" seems good enough when you are introducing one person to another), so most of us aren't familiar with what these words mean.

Relationship Terms
Sometimes, especially when working on your family history, it's handy to know how to describe your family relationships more exactly. The definitions below should help you out.
Cousin (a.k.a "first cousin"wink
Your first cousins are the people in your family who have two of the same grandparents as you. In other words, they are the children of your aunts and uncles.
Second Cousin
Your second cousins are the people in your family who have the same great-grandparents as you., but not the same grandparents.
Third, Fourth, and Fifth Cousins
Your third cousins have the same great-great-grandparents, fourth cousins have the same great-great-great-grandparents, and so on.

Removed

When the word "removed" is used to describe a relationship, it indicates that the two people are from different generations. You and your first cousins are in the same generation (two generations younger than your grandparents), so the word "removed" is not used to describe your relationship.
The words "once removed" mean that there is a difference of one generation. For example, your mother's first cousin is your first cousin, once removed. This is because your mother's first cousin is one generation younger than your grandparents and you are two generations younger than your grandparents. This one-generation difference equals "once removed."

Twice removed means that there is a two-generation difference. You are two generations younger than a first cousin of your grandmother, so you and your grandmother's first cousin are first cousins, twice removed.

If my mother's first cousin are my first cousin once removed then, my first cousin(my sis/bro children) are my children's first cousin once removed... And so on.
I think dat was what I understood. I'm I wrong?
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by mejai(m): 4:43am On Dec 05, 2014
we have to give dis thread an award biko.......

d most confused thread ever on nairaland.

meanwhile, nairaland is second cousin removed to Linda ikeji blog added= yaba left escapee
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by Wisegeek01(m): 6:31am On Dec 05, 2014
Op I think you might still be confused .. .
Because I am flummoxed lipsrsealed
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by jejemanito: 6:50am On Dec 05, 2014
oseiwe:
removed from where?
gringringringringringringringringringringrin
chai! In the midst of all the funny comments on this thread yours is da bomb!!
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by asaridokuboyansh(m): 6:54am On Dec 05, 2014
grin
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by stuff46(m): 7:49am On Dec 05, 2014
mejai:
we have to give dis thread an award biko.......

d most confused thread ever on nairaland.

meanwhile, nairaland is second cousin removed to Linda ikeji blog added= yaba left escapee

Lwkm
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by stuff46(m): 7:51am On Dec 05, 2014
Wisegeek01:
Op I think you might still be confused .. .
Because I am flummoxed lipsrsealed

grin
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by temmyt20(m): 8:11am On Dec 05, 2014
vous les gars sont juste vous déranger, ici en
France, cousin est le cousin ( you guys are just disturbing yourselves, here in France, cousin is cousin)
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by psyqs(m): 8:37am On Dec 05, 2014
u jst made it worse

zaynie:
A and B are cousins, also first cousins.
A gave birth to X
B gave birth to Y
X and Y are second cousins.
X/ Y are first cousins once removed to A/B and vice versa.
A has a grandchild P
B has a grandchild Q
P/Q are second cousins twice removed to A/ B and vice versa.

You get?
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by Les: 9:05am On Dec 05, 2014
Funny thread grin, it's not that hard to understand, just read in between lines. Som1 asking removed from where! grin
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by Nobody: 10:42am On Dec 05, 2014
temmyt20:

vous les gars sont juste vous déranger, ici en
France, cousin est le cousin ( you guys are just disturbing yourselves, here in France, cousin is cousin)

Bro, that Google translator kinda messes up the language. cheesy

I guess you wanted to type, "Vous les gars sont juste en train de vous deranger. Ici, en France, le cousin, c'est le cousin".

Maybe we are not in the same part of France shaa, lol wink
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by tempest01(m): 10:47am On Dec 05, 2014
Oboy we relate, we relate.

Triplets removed or twins removed no follow
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by nickz(m): 11:12am On Dec 05, 2014
who's this goat putting my moniker on this thread
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by temmyt20(m): 11:15am On Dec 05, 2014
GozieDiora:

Bro, that Google translator kinda messes up the language. cheesy

I guess you wanted to type, "Vous les gars sont juste en train de vous deranger. Ici, en France, le cousin, c'est le cousin".

Maybe we are not in the same part of France shaa, lol wink
na different yoruba language dey....na so e b for french........u sha gt d concept #kidding
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by Nobody: 11:18am On Dec 05, 2014
temmyt20:

na different yoruba language dey....na so e b for french........u sha gt d concept #kidding

Hehe... me get you, bro.

Thank God say you still sabi your Yoruba small. People in France dey forget their language anyhow. grin
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by samurairulzz(m): 12:13pm On Dec 05, 2014
ifa talk say i understand , undecidedGod punish me
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by Askthelawyer: 12:23pm On Dec 05, 2014
lol grin this is really confusing but i think i get it. So if you don't, why not Ask the Lawyer @ www.askthelawyeronline.com. its free...
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by Biggty(m): 1:00pm On Dec 05, 2014
To be honest i don't really understand anything.
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by killercute16(m): 2:26pm On Dec 05, 2014
zaynie:
A and B are cousins, also first cousins.
A gave birth to X
B gave birth to Y
X and Y are second cousins.
X/ Y are first cousins once removed to A/B and vice versa.
A has a grandchild P
B has a grandchild Q
P/Q are second cousins twice removed to A/ B and vice versa.

You get?
Wait wait.....what have we done to you,we are complaining that we dont understand the first one you are bringing matrix into the game again...why evils
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by salbis(m): 2:44pm On Dec 05, 2014
Digging deep.
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by Networkingprof: 3:22pm On Dec 05, 2014
So, how can we restore all cousins ever removed? PiclingGrammar and Grammarians.
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by akinsadeez(m): 4:37pm On Dec 05, 2014
This is the kinda thing I like reading when I want to sleep. Nothing induces sleep as fast as trying to make sense out of something as confusing as this cheesy

1 Like

Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by experimentist: 5:18pm On Dec 05, 2014
What are they removing twice?
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by tpiah2: 5:33pm On Dec 05, 2014
All these people who do nothing but track other people's families, una matter pass be careful.
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by AdeniyiA(m): 6:03pm On Dec 05, 2014
EroticAngelina:
confused
twice confusedly removed cheesy
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by Oyimzy(m): 7:59pm On Dec 05, 2014
I don't understand !
Cousin Na Cousin

......Finish!!!
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by Varagous(f): 8:29pm On Dec 05, 2014
hmmmmm...got the removed part sha.
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by Esdb(m): 11:15pm On Dec 05, 2014
cococandy:
OP it seems like you're my third cousin four times removed angry
if that is you gan gan in the picture then we are cousins no removing.. See the daddy that born the son that born thhe daddy that born the daddy of the daddy that born the daddy are brothers... Infact we could be destined lovers cause the mum that born all those daddies said that two cousins will marry each other.... I'v been looking for you like.. Oya here is my pin... 2b......
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by jeflexy(m): 11:20pm On Dec 05, 2014
Seun must see this..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Latest Waec Ranking Of Best Schools In Waec Exams / Free Download Of Gre, Gmat, Toefl & Sat Preparation Materials / 14 Pictures That Depict Some Campus Relationships

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.