Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,213 members, 7,811,583 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:05 PM

FAITH In Mathematics - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / FAITH In Mathematics (4234 Views)

Pastor Adeboye As A Mathematics Lecturer In Unilorin (pics) / The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria / Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

FAITH In Mathematics by sinequanon: 1:32pm On Dec 05, 2014
There is a very vocal stratum of lay wannabe academics, who think they can "educate" everybody with their naive understanding of the nature of mathematics. They say naive things like "mathematics is totally consistent", "mathematical proof is incontrovertible evidence in physics", etc. etc.

This is what real mathematicians know..

One legendary mathematician to another:

[size=16pt]"there is no rigorous foundation for classical mathematics"[/size]

The following video is EXCELLENT! Don't be put off by the guy who introduces the speaker. You can skip to the fourth minute -- 4:00.

This is the clearest description of the foundations of mathematics that I have come across. Anybody willing to learn would do well to see it.

He breaks down the statement and meaning of Gódel's first and second theorems in as simple a way as I have ever seen.

I majored in mathematics, but I think this talk is totally accessible to a non-mathematician of normal intelligence.

Never again will you be paying attention to the ignorant regurgitation of uncritical noise makers.

[size=16pt]What if Current Foundations of Mathematics are Inconsistent? | Vladimir Voevodsky[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O45LaFsaqMA

[size=16pt]In summary, mathematics is not known to be consistent.

Scientists have faith in the consistency of mathematics.[/size]
Re: FAITH In Mathematics by Kay17: 2:21pm On Dec 05, 2014
In summary, mathematics is not known to be consistent.

Scientists have faith in the consistency of mathematics.

This itself is inconsistent.

1 Like

Re: FAITH In Mathematics by tpiah2: 4:20pm On Dec 05, 2014
How are you this christmas season?
Re: FAITH In Mathematics by Nobody: 6:34pm On Dec 05, 2014
What is/are the inconsistencies noticed in godels theorem?
Re: FAITH In Mathematics by sinequanon: 6:48pm On Dec 05, 2014
Dapo777:

It is not about an inconsistency in his theorem, itself.

His 2nd theorem proves that there is no way of proving that classical mathematical systems are consistent.

(gotta read it slowly, it's quite subtle)

i.e it proves that classical mathematical systems MAY be inconsistent. We can never prove consistency, only inconsistency.
Re: FAITH In Mathematics by asalimpo(m): 9:37pm On Dec 05, 2014
Jargonistics! What is a mathematical system?
Re: FAITH In Mathematics by asalimpo(m): 9:41pm On Dec 05, 2014
sinequanon:
There is a very vocal stratum of lay wannabe academics, who think they can "educate" everybody with their naive understanding of the nature of mathematics. They say naive things like "mathematics is totally consistent", "mathematical proof is incontrovertible evidence in physics", etc. etc.

This is what real mathematicians know..

One legendary mathematician to another:

[size=16pt]"there is no rigorous foundation for classical mathematics"[/size]

The following video is EXCELLENT! Don't be put off by the guy who introduces the speaker. You can skip to the fourth minute -- 4:00.

This is the clearest description of the foundations of mathematics that I have come across. Anybody willing to learn would do well to see it.

He breaks down the statement and meaning of Gódel's first and second theorems in as simple a way as I have ever seen.

I majored in mathematics, but I think this talk is totally accessible to a non-mathematician of normal intelligence.

Never again will you be paying attention to the ignorant regurgitation of uncritical noise makers.

[size=16pt]What if Current Foundations of Mathematics are Inconsistent? | Vladimir Voevodsky[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O45LaFsaqMA

[size=16pt]In summary, mathematics is not known to be consistent.

Scientists have faith in the consistency of mathematics.[/size]

no rigorous foundation? Watabout set theory. The foundation on which modern maths is built.
Re: FAITH In Mathematics by asalimpo(m): 10:00pm On Dec 05, 2014
I'm not a mathematician, but i think Godel proved tht all the truths tht can be discovered logically/mathematically cannot be achieved thru any formal symbolic system (which mathematics is).

Iow, maths cannot know all there is to know.
Maths doesnt even know what it doesnt know .

Before godel's bombshell, mathematicians/logicians wanted to know if mathematics , esp set-theory based math, could be used to prove all truth there is to prove,
i.e if there was a perfect language or system tht cud do this?
Turns out there isnt,thanks to godel.
If godel's proof were wrong,then everything cud b mathematically proven.

Before godel, bertrand russel and his colleague, george whitefield (name correct?) were working on a treatise tht wud place mathematics on a thoroughly bullet-proof iron logical footing.
Suitable for use as a tool for all logical enquiry because it wud b theoretically infallible.

Impressive and ambitious goal but it wasnt to be. Godel shattered it all.

*this is a summary, cud b straightened out ,in some areas *
Re: FAITH In Mathematics by asalimpo(m): 4:35pm On Dec 06, 2014
sinequanon:

His 2nd theorem proves that there is no way of proving that classical mathematical systems are consistent.

i.e it proves that classical mathematical systems MAY be inconsistent. We can never prove consistency, only inconsistency.
Re: FAITH In Mathematics by asalimpo(m): 4:35pm On Dec 06, 2014
sinequanon:

the op needs to go back to school.

@dapo(the bladdy atheist)

a math theorem cannot be fallible.
A math theorem is a truth.
Any mathematical propsition elevated to d height of a theorem is unfaultable.
So "inconsistency" in a math theorem is a joke. Crap talk.
Godel's theorem has no loopholes.
Re: FAITH In Mathematics by PastorAIO: 5:16pm On Dec 06, 2014
asalimpo:

the op needs to go back to school.

@dapo(the bladdy atheist)

a math theorem cannot be fallible.
A math theorem is a truth.
Any mathematical propsition elevated to d height of a theorem is unfaultable.
So "inconsistency" in a math theorem is a joke. Crap talk.
Godel's theorem has no loopholes.

You need to read the OP again. He doesn't say Godel's theorem is inconsistent. He says :
Re: FAITH In Mathematics by wiegraf: 7:38pm On Dec 06, 2014
PastorAIO:

You need to read the OP again. He doesn't say Godel's theorem is inconsistent. He says :

Oga, abegi, then what is the clown saying?

On a serious note has this dude ever made an iota of sense? He's like uyi on steroids

Might need to make time to permanently shut him up, but then there's no one else providing his level of entertainment around. They all cried and left cry
Re: FAITH In Mathematics by asalimpo(m): 9:32pm On Dec 06, 2014
PastorAIO:

a maths theorem cannot be inconsistent or contain loop holes
, thts y mathetical proofs of ground intractable problems attract so much attention outside of the world of mathematics because it's a break thru for the world as a whole.
Theyre are cases where something formerly assumed to b true was proven false but d problem wasnt from the tool (mathematics) but from d logician who created the erroneous proof in d first place.
A thereom today remains so 2000 yrs from today. Mathematics is truth. Thts y maths books of a century ago are still relevant.

1 Like

Re: FAITH In Mathematics by wiegraf: 11:30pm On Dec 06, 2014
Person go tire, intellectual masturbator thinking his audience has never heard of Godel etc

So, Godel's theories prove mathematical systems are inconsistent? Wow, I never knew that. But I somehow, magically, know he meant that one could always pull out an inconsistency within that particular system. One can always be clever and input some ambiguity into whatever formal system. Doesn't mean the other statements in the system are flawed, just that some statements can never be shown to be either of true or false universally. That is, in all systems. Simple.

So when our hero says

op:
They say naive things like "mathematics is totally consistent", "mathematical proof is incontrovertible evidence in physics", etc. etc.

Err, yes, especially the bold. Just that there would always be ways, so long as the system contains some basic elements, to force a system into a corner and provoke contradictions like "This sentence is false" out of it. Doesn't make the statement "This sentence is true" invalid or any less true. Doesn't void the framework the statement was derived from, etc. The framework remains consistent, these particular statements/axioms, however, do not.

Actually, this his whole exercise is a nice example perhaps. I mean, he says mathematics is inconsistent while using the same inconsistent mathematics to show how. See? Maybe it's hypocrisy day or something. Why should we take op seriously if mathematics is inconsistent??

Then again, he also happens to be, within his system (at least to a degree, and not in the way he implies), true.

Nothing new to see here. Another failed tap dancer

4 Likes

Re: FAITH In Mathematics by plaetton: 11:57pm On Dec 06, 2014
wiegraf:
Person go tire, intellectual masturbator thinking his audience has never heard of Godel etc

So, Godel's theories prove mathematical systems are inconsistent? Wow, I never knew that. But I somehow, magically, know he meant that one could always pull out an inconsistency within that particular system. One can always be clever and input some ambiguity into whatever formal system. Doesn't mean the other statements in the system are flawed, just that some statements can never be shown to be either of true or false universally. That is, in all systems. Simple.

So when our hero says

Err, yes, especially the bold. Just that there would always be ways, so long as the system contains some basic elements, to force a system into a corner and provoke contradictions like "This sentence is false" out of it. Doesn't make the statement "This sentence is true" invalid or any less true. Doesn't void the framework the statement was derived from, etc. The framework remains consistent, these particular statements/axioms, however, do not.

Actually, this his whole exercise is a nice example perhaps. I mean, he says mathematics is inconsistent while using the same inconsistent mathematics to show how. See? Maybe it's hypocrisy day or something. Why should we take op seriously if mathematics is inconsistent??

Then again, he also happens to be, within his system (at least to a degree, and not in the way he implies), true.

Nothing new to see here. Another failed tap dancer

Abi oo sad.
Re: FAITH In Mathematics by sinequanon: 12:45am On Dec 07, 2014
Anybody who is serious about improving their understanding should ignore Kay17, Dapo777, asalimpo, wiegraf and plaetton.

Apart from their appalling understanding of simple logic and a host of other hopeless misconceptions, none of them have even been able to state Gódel's assertions correctly, let alone discuss them. Discussing with them is a completely lost cause.

Just don't let them hold you back. They are the type of folk, where you come back in a year's time, and they have learned nothing.

The topic of the video can be quite challenging, but it is accessible to anyone with a mature and balanced frame of mind.
Re: FAITH In Mathematics by plaetton: 1:09am On Dec 07, 2014
sinequanon:
Anybody who is serious about improving their understanding should ignore Kay17, Dapo777, asalimpo, wiegraf and plaetton.

Apart from their appalling understanding of simple logic and a host of other hopeless misconceptions, none of them have even been able to state Cantor's assertions correctly, let alone discuss them. Discussing with them is a completely lost cause.

Just don't let them hold you back. They are the type of folk, where you come back in a year's time, and they have learned nothing.

The topic of the video can be quite challenging, but it is accessible to anyone with a mature and balanced frame of mind.

Well, unlike some people, I don't argue blindly about or againsts things that I do not have a firm grasp of.

I am humble enough to let those who know more do the arguments.
But I could and do recognize inconsistencies and artful dodging anytime I see it.lol.

I also recognize those who are too cowardly to stick their necks out to make meaningful and insightful arguments, but would rather whip up word salads here and there to evade and obfuscate simple facts.

3 Likes

Re: FAITH In Mathematics by Kay17: 2:10am On Dec 07, 2014
sinequanon:

Apart from their appalling understanding of simple logic and a host of other hopeless misconceptions, none of them have even been able to state Cantor's assertions correctly, let alone discuss them. Discussing with them is a completely lost cause.

Slut shaming works sometimes.

1 Like

Re: FAITH In Mathematics by sinequanon: 12:01pm On Dec 07, 2014
Gódel's second theorem proves that there is no way of proving consistency of a mathematical system.

i.e, even if a mathematical system is consistent, you can't prove it -- you cannot distinguish it from a system which has unknown inconsistencies.

The only person who took his time to understand is PastorAIO.

wiegraf:
So, Godel's theories prove mathematical systems are inconsistent? Wow, I never knew that. But I somehow, magically, know he meant that one could always pull out an inconsistency within that particular system.

Clueless.

plaetton:

Abi oo sad.

plaetton agrees with wiegraf's clueless summary.

asalimpo:
I'm not a mathematician, but i think Godel proved tht all the truths tht can be discovered logically/mathematically cannot be achieved thru any formal symbolic system (which mathematics is).

Meaningless.

Also a failed attempt at the wrong theorem. The thread is about Gódel II not I.

Dapo777:

Can't read.

Kay17:

This itself is inconsistent.

Comprehension problems.

These are the trolls who have set themselves up to educate us all: plaetton and wiegraf, the halfwits + 1 clueless ranter + 2 illiterates.

Don't let these folks hold you back with their disease of wanton ignorance.

4 Likes

Re: FAITH In Mathematics by asalimpo(m): 12:49pm On Dec 07, 2014
sinequanon:

Apart from their appalling understanding of simple logic and a host of other hopeless misconceptions, none of them have even been able to state Gódel's assertions correctly, let alone discuss them. Discussing with them is a completely lost cause.

mature frame of mind indeed.
you cudnt xplain a concept in layman's terms because u either didnt understand it or/and are a poor communicator.

1 Like

Re: FAITH In Mathematics by plaetton: 1:02pm On Dec 07, 2014
^^^
So you a math major whose primary mission on this thread in rekigious forum was to regurgitate the opinions of another mathematician that mathematical theorems cannot be proven to be consistent?

Wow!
Clap for yourself Einstein.

In my simple unsophisticated mind, I am wondering; does this imply that when I dial my mother's phone number, she picks up, says " hello son", that it cannot be proven with consistency that it is 100% my mother I am speaking to ?
The reason I ask is that both the instruments and the mechanisms of cellular telecommunications follows very consistent rules of all aspects of mathematics.

" The preeminence of any system is measured by the quality of it's output. " - Manley P. Hall.

Science , the scientic process has proven itself as by far the preeminent arbiter of our reality.

2 Likes

Re: FAITH In Mathematics by asalimpo(m): 1:10pm On Dec 07, 2014
sinequanon:
Gódel's second theorem proves that there is no way of proving consistency of a mathematical system.

i.e, even if a mathematical system is consistent, you can't prove it -- you cannot distinguish it from a system which has unknown inconsistencies.

The only person who took his time to understand is PastorAIO.

Clueless.

plaetton agrees with wiegraf's clueless summary.

Meaningless.

Also a failed attempt at the wrong theorem. The thread is about Gódel II not I.

Can't read.

Comprehension problems.

These are the trolls who have set themselves up to educate us all: plaetton and wiegraf, the halfwits + 1 clueless ranter + 2 illiterates.

Don't let these folks hold you back with their disease of wanton ignorance.

mumu like you hiding behind jargons. Godel's theorems are as popular as einstein's relativity theorems. Any body interested in such knowledge can find a lay man explanation online.. He doesnt need anything other than primary school training to get d gist of talk.
To sit as judge because you think your (mis)education qualifies you,is to misgiuded in ur thinking.
Fyi, i made a stab @ explaining from memory rather than consult any media (web page, book etc).

Let me ask you a question.
What is a mathematical system?

what is 'inconsistency' ?

How these terms be relayed to a layman in his own language?

because u can't communicate , you hide behind jargons, mouthng senseless nonsense like
"mature and balanced mind".

What were the historical antecedents and backdrop around Godel's work?

because your inept you point to a youtube video!

Go back to school.

5 Likes

Re: FAITH In Mathematics by sinequanon: 1:59pm On Dec 07, 2014
https://www.nairaland.com/2030474/faith-mathematics#28666212

That is what years of being a troll does to people. This is the damage wiegraf, plaetton, davien, dapo777, asalimpo etc. do to themselves. Their spin and hypocrisy has become so second nature that they have lost the ability to understand even a basic statement. Their ignorance, listed in the link above, cannot be blamed on "jargon" or "word salad" or the plethora of other terms they have picked up in their troll lives. It is all to do with wanton ignorance and them not giving themselves a chance, by their trolling attitude.

Come back in three years, and they will have learned nothing. In their wanton ignorance, everything will still look like "jargon" or "word salad" to them.

And nobody will help you if you stink at helping yourself.

DON'T FOLLOW THEM.

That is the lesson of this thread.
Re: FAITH In Mathematics by asalimpo(m): 2:10pm On Dec 07, 2014
Half wit op,
you cannot intelligently defend your position on d your mathematical proposition. And you shy away from an honest intellectual discus on d matter.

So, who is the quark, here?
And who shud every1 avoid?

Are u sure u're a graduate of mathematics?

1 Like

Re: FAITH In Mathematics by Nobody: 3:09pm On Dec 07, 2014
sinequanon:

This guy really can't handle his opinion being proved wrong,you need to grow up psychologically, you could be an old person chronologically,but psychologically you are not matured enough to handle people's oppositions to your beliefs, I have been studying you. I also noticed every time you bring up an argument you aim is always to mock atheist,you don't bring up arguments to learn,in fact most of the argument you bring up,you don't talk about them,you simply start accusing others of not understanding you when you haven't even given any point to support your claims,man you have low self esteem,you need others to be patting you on your back to feel good,you can't handle criticism, right now you are fuming with anger because of the truth I am telling you about yourself,you just can't handle opposition in a matured way.

Whenever anybody says anything, especially if you have had a fight with that person recently, your brain switches to autopilot and assume the person want to attack your opinion,learn how to handle opinions that are different from yours without being cynical or unnecessarily belligerent.
I simply asked a simple question:

And you took that question as an attack on your opinion or as a mockery,I don't understand how you interpret things. You are So unreasonable, man.

2 Likes

Re: FAITH In Mathematics by plaetton: 3:17pm On Dec 07, 2014
Dapo777:

This guy really can't handle his opinion being proved wrong,you need to grow up psychologically, you could be an old person chronologically,but psychologically you are not matured enough to handle people's oppositions to your beliefs, I have been studying you. I also noticed every time you bring up an argument you aim is always to mock atheist,you don't bring up arguments to learn,in fact most of the argument you bring up,you don't talk about them,you simply start accusing others of not understanding you when you haven't even given any point to support your claims,man you have low self esteem,you need others to be patting you on your back to feel good,you can't handle criticism, right now you are fuming with anger because of the truth I am telling you about yourself,you just can't handle opposition in a matured way.

Whenever anybody says anything, especially if you have had a fight with that person recently, your brain switches to autopilot and assume the person want to attack your opinion,learn how to handle opinions that are different from yours without being cynical or unnecessarily belligerent.

And you took that question as an attack on your opinion or as a mockery,I don't understand how you interpret things. You are So unreasonable, man.
He is like woman running naked in the market place, while we are pursuing her. She running faster because she is paranoid and thinks we are trying to harm her, whereas, we only trying to cover her unclothedness.

7 Likes

Re: FAITH In Mathematics by sinequanon: 3:20pm On Dec 07, 2014
Dapo777:

learn how to handle opinions that are different from yours without being cynical or unnecessarily belligerent.

See what I am saying folks. They are hopelessly stuck. How do you deal with this sort of id.iocy? He can't even tell if his opinions are different.

DON'T GET LIKE THEM.

PastorAIO:

Re: FAITH In Mathematics by Nobody: 3:20pm On Dec 07, 2014
plaetton:

He is like woman running naked in the market place, while we are pursuing her. She running faster because she is paranoid and thinks we are trying to harm her, whereas, we only trying to cover her unclothedness.

cheesy nice illustration, it perfectly suits this Op situation

1 Like

Re: FAITH In Mathematics by Nobody: 3:24pm On Dec 07, 2014
sinequanon:

See what I am saying folks. They are hopelessly stuck.

DON'T GET LIKE THEM.

An I the same person that made that statement? Later you would say I can't see,who is blind now in the both of us,someone who can't read to differentiate between dapo777 and asalimpo,or someone who simply asked a question to understand an ambiguous explanation.

Guy work on yourself ooo,I know the next thing you would pick on is to say you are not talking about ability to see but ability to read,that still won't make sense,cos if I can read how am I able to use nairaland?
Re: FAITH In Mathematics by sinequanon: 3:26pm On Dec 07, 2014
My work here is done!

I'll leave the trolls to further confirm what I have said.

Anyone serious about the subject matter in the video, please feel free to comment or ask questions.
Re: FAITH In Mathematics by Longstride: 3:29pm On Dec 07, 2014
this OP has all knowledge and no intelligence sad

2 Likes

Re: FAITH In Mathematics by Nobody: 3:29pm On Dec 07, 2014
sinequanon:
My work here is done!

I'll leave the trolls to further confirm what I have said.

Anyone serious about the subject matter in the video, please feel free to comment or ask questions.

So you that posted the video you can't explain What's in the video,and you have the effrontery to call us illiterate.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

His Holiness Olumba Olumba Obu Appeared And Set Me Free / Why Yahoo Boys Are Better Than Pastors / Biblical Laws For Rape

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.