Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,428 members, 7,830,148 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:57 PM

16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today (34291 Views)

Funny Ways Kids Are Taught In Schools(share Your Experience) / Water Scarcity In Nigerian Schools / President Jonathan Commissions 64 Almajiri Model Schools Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by Ruq: 10:42am On Dec 06, 2014
Irrelevant kinda
Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by Nobody: 10:50am On Dec 06, 2014
nice one, op.
i would love to visit ecuador someday, standing at the top of that mountain and screaming like a craze-o.
Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by fridayj(m): 10:53am On Dec 06, 2014
Pls op pus to fp.....
Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by Odinaka00(m): 11:14am On Dec 06, 2014
Does it mean that none of our mods has seen this thread? This is frontpage material nah...........nice one op, I ve learnt sth new today
Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by spade: 11:49am On Dec 06, 2014
Another...

"There Are 2 Allotropes Of Carbon, And They Are: Diamond And Graphite"

This is incorrect; because, at the moment, there are Eight recognized allotropes of carbon. They are:

1. Diamond
2. Graphite
3. Buckminsterfullerene
4. Carbon Nanotube
5. Lonsdaleite
6. Amorphous Carbon
7. C70
8. C540

Our education system needs to be updated.

1 Like

Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by IKJ66(m): 11:57am On Dec 06, 2014
REASON Y THE SOCIETY SHOULD BE DESCHOOL
Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by dammybambo: 12:01pm On Dec 06, 2014
Highly informative!
Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by stanisbaratheon: 12:02pm On Dec 06, 2014
really!!!
Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by Olypeppy(f): 12:04pm On Dec 06, 2014
Change is constant....that's why we have curricu innovators n research institutes
Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by Nobody: 12:07pm On Dec 06, 2014
Weed causes irrational behaviour: this is a theory that I have personally disproved. As an ardent weed smoker, I have personal studied the effect of weed and I have come to the realisation that weed induces a clarity of mind entrenched in a tranquil trance, which stimulates creativity and productivity, and amplifies the whole efficiency of its users.

Smoke weed today, and have an improved mental capacity.

1 Like

Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by born2fuckpussy: 12:09pm On Dec 06, 2014
Mobuch I dey read everything wey you dey type for equality section, thank God says; ddem don banned me there with this ID, I know say people like rrockstation no go fit get husband for house, and thunder go fire her where she dey. Me dey vex, halla me if you wan fight man to man for real. U sabbi my PM seh! I go demolish your teeth remain 4

Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by makzeze: 12:10pm On Dec 06, 2014
nobilis:
OP, this is wonderful. I must commend your efforts. How I wish our svhools will put these changes into effect. But why did you stop along the way na? Come and complete it o.

More power to your elbow and your thumbs. smiley cheesy
u dey craze? Didnt u see his source' sahara reporters'
Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by ROZZAYY(f): 12:15pm On Dec 06, 2014
Hmmmmmmmm is all I can say
Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by Nobody: 12:24pm On Dec 06, 2014
Educative.. cheesy
Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by Googleus(m): 12:24pm On Dec 06, 2014
if u know u are yet to pass ur waec and jamb,
dont follow this op ooo!
Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by BizBloke(m): 12:26pm On Dec 06, 2014
Noneroone:

There are nine planets in the solar
system :
Astronomers are regularly
discovering new planets all over the
universe. However, the number of planets in
our own solar system has been reduced
from nine to eight. This is due to the
declassification of Pluto as a planet. Pluto
was officially downgraded by astronomers
at the 26th General Assembly of the
International Astronomical Union which
was held in Prague, Czech Republic, in
2006. It is now a dwarf planet.
Astronomers found out that it is merely a
huge ball of ice and rock orbiting the Sun in
an area known as the Kuiper Belt. The
Kuiper Belt is located beyond the planet
Neptune (which is now the farthest planet
in the solar system) and it contains over
70,000 icy objects similar to Pluto. Pluto
happens to be one of the biggest of these
icy objects, but it’s not the biggest. The
biggest is Eris. Eris, a dwarf planet, is the
largest object in the Kuiper Belt. It’s about
25% more massive than Pluto.

Humans have only five senses: It turns out
that sight, hearing, touch, smell and taste
are not the only sensory responses human
beings exhibit. Human sensory receptors
can also respond to pain (nociception),
changes in temperature (thermoception),
changes in balance (equilibrioception),
position (proprioception), magnetic
direction (magnetoception) and the
passage of time (chronoception).

Humans evolved from apes: This is a great
lie and misconception that has been here
with us since the day Charles Darwin
published his controversial “On the Origin
of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or
the Preservation of Favoured Races in the
Struggle for Life.” According to this well-
known biological framework, human
beings and the modern-day apes evolved
from a single, now-extinct ancestor. As time
passed by, these ancestors of ours began to
evolve differently based on climatic,
nutritional, geographical and social
changes.

http://saharareporters.com/2014/12/05/16-errors-are-still-taught-nigerian-schools-today-chinedu-rylan

I was spoon-fed the above very well. angry Imagine!

This is what happens when the educational system (textbooks, teachers' knowledge base) isn't constantly in a progressive state; this happens when a static mode of education is indirectly preferred to a dynamic mode.

Some peeps teaching these neglect Google a lot. And I wonder why!
Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by nickz(m): 12:27pm On Dec 06, 2014
most. annoying is pronunciation of the word 'FORK'
Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by MDelgado(m): 12:27pm On Dec 06, 2014
After reading so much trash on NL this morning one can finally read a post that is worth reading abinitio to the end..
Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by cannonnier(m): 12:29pm On Dec 06, 2014
Elantracey:

Then it wasn't wrong but now it is , he is just pointing them out so it will be corrected .

You are wrong.

It was all wrong, we just didn't know that then, and there are still too many things we don't know.
And that mean all the fact up there might still be wrong.
Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by DesChyko: 12:30pm On Dec 06, 2014
1. That 'Yours' Sincerely' is used in informal letters. Oxford dictionary shows otherwise.

2. That Level of Organization in Biology has four stages. It has 'seven' levels.

3. That there are five vowel sounds in English. The vowel sounds are '20+'.
Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by domido(m): 12:35pm On Dec 06, 2014
They've been lying for too long. Even that 5 senses,add the one of corruption. Nigerians have a sixth sense.
Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by Timmytimmy: 12:39pm On Dec 06, 2014
DesChyko:
1. That 'Yours' Sincerely' is used in informal letters. Oxford dictionary shows otherwise.

2. That Level of Organization in Biology has four stages. It has 'seven' levels.

3. That there are five vowel sounds in English. The vowel sounds are '20+'.

There is a world of difference between Alphabets and Speech sounds. No one teaches what you wrote.
Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by Nobody: 12:40pm On Dec 06, 2014
Surprised to see such great info from Sahara reporters...
Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by PROCTOR: 12:41pm On Dec 06, 2014
Is the moon really stationary??
Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by TeaYMize(m): 12:45pm On Dec 06, 2014
Mcbussy:
Op,nice job....but I'm gonna argue about John Locke's tabula rasa.

Truly,cognitive traits and capabilities are passed from parents to offspring. But what John Locke was saying is dat a child comes to the world with a blank slate (tabula rasa) i.e blank mind...the child's experience in life is written on that slate and therefore is one on the key factors that develop d individuals personality.

If you look at urself. your childhood experience, the kind of environment u grew up in helped shape who you are today. Every individual responds to d world according to his own experience, views and perception.

Definitely, parents can't pass their own life experience to their ofsprings through the genes. If that was the case, every Jew born in present day would naturally hate Germans even without hearing the world war 2 stories. African Americans would still be feeling the pains of their slave ancestors... Lolz grin

So I think the scientists that related genetics with "tabula rasa" must av had d wrong perception of what John Locke meant. Memory and perception cannot be passed by genes. It is possible to pass cognitive capabilities and patterns.
Exactly wot came 2 ma mind.....dis is y a yoruba child born in an hausa land will behave lyk an hausa child if he lives in d land all his life....its nt as if the language or d behaviour will b pased onto d child naturally.......Environment n surrounding affects d life of a growing child

2 Likes

Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by Nobody: 12:50pm On Dec 06, 2014
nobilis:
OP, no school ever taught that Faraday invented electricity. At least I'm very sure that what I was taught in school was that Faraday discovered electricity.

There has always been a difference between discovery and invention and my primary school teachers always made sure we knew about that difference.

I thought i was the only one who saw that error.

However, a great deal of what's written there is actually not thought only in Nigerian schools, but also in western schools.

2 Likes

Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by Octaves(m): 12:53pm On Dec 06, 2014
spade:
Another...

"There Are 2 Allotropes Of Carbon, And They Are: Diamond And Graphite"

This is incorrect; because, at the moment, there are Eight recognized allotropes of carbon. They are:

1. Diamond
2. Graphite
3. Buckminsterfullerene
4. Carbon Nanotube
5. Lonsdaleite
6. Amorphous Carbon
7. C70
8. C540

Our education system needs to be updated.
. I thought allotrope meant one of the many crystal structure forms of a substance. amorphous carbon doesn't have a crystal structure. e don tey wet I do chemistry
Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by darlingnuel(m): 1:01pm On Dec 06, 2014
Noneroone:

Diabetes is caused by sugar: Sugar doesn’t
directly cause diabetes, but if you consume
too much sugar, you are likely going to get
diabetes. What sugar does is that it
increases the quantity of calories in the
body. Too many calories in the body lead to
weight gain which significantly increases a
person’s likelihood to develop type 2
diabetes.

This explanation is NOT scientific enough to convince me. But I was thought that diabetes is triggered by the inability of the pancreas to secrete (enough) insulin which regulates blood sugar level. Hence, diabetes is NOT directly caused by sugar but by insulin deficiency or issues with the pancreas!

1 Like

Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by OkikiOluwa1(m): 1:05pm On Dec 06, 2014
Noneroone:
It may sound a little bit misleading,
because this problem is not only limited
to Nigerian schools. It’s a worldwide
phenomenon occasioned by teachers,
lecturers and instructors who make no
effort to update themselves and add to
what they already know. These lies – at
least some of them – were facts at some
point in time, but things have since moved
on. Truths become lies as new discoveries
are being made.
Here are 16 lies that are still dished out the
world over even as you read this:

There are six classes of food: I was taught
and I know most of you were taught – that
there are 6 classes of food, namely,
proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, fats and
oil, minerals and water. It is no longer the
case. Officially, there are now SEVEN classes
of food: proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins
(or vegetables), fibers, fats and oil, minerals
and water. Fiber is derived from plants and
it was initially left out by nutritionists
because it seemingly does not add any
nutrient to the body. What fiber does that it
alters the way our gastrointestinal tract
absorbs food. Fiber itself is indigestible; it is
broken down in the large intestine not by
the body’s digestive system, but by the
trillions of bacteria that live there.

There are nine planets in the solar
system :
Astronomers are regularly
discovering new planets all over the
universe. However, the number of planets in
our own solar system has been reduced
from nine to eight. This is due to the
declassification of Pluto as a planet. Pluto
was officially downgraded by astronomers
at the 26th General Assembly of the
International Astronomical Union which
was held in Prague, Czech Republic, in
2006. It is now a dwarf planet.
Astronomers found out that it is merely a
huge ball of ice and rock orbiting the Sun in
an area known as the Kuiper Belt. The
Kuiper Belt is located beyond the planet
Neptune (which is now the farthest planet
in the solar system) and it contains over
70,000 icy objects similar to Pluto. Pluto
happens to be one of the biggest of these
icy objects, but it’s not the biggest. The
biggest is Eris. Eris, a dwarf planet, is the
largest object in the Kuiper Belt. It’s about
25% more massive than Pluto.

There are four oceans: That was until the
year 2000 when the International
Hydrographic Organization concluded that
a distinct body of sea that completely
surrounds the continent Antarctica will be
the Earth’s fifth ocean. The exact
geographic coordinates of the salty water
are yet to be agreed upon, but most
sources will tell you that it lies to the south
of Australia, New Zealand and the tip of the
South American continent.

There are three states of matter: There are
several states of matter, in fact. According
to physicists, in addition to solid, liquid and
gaseous, plasma can be observed in
everyday life. Actually, scientists claim that
plasma is the most abundant form of
matter in the universe, because most of the
stars, including our own Sun, are in a
plasma state. Other states of matter include
the neutron-degenerate matter, Bose-
Einstein condensates, liquid crystals,
superfluids, quark-gluon plasmas, quantum
hall state, supersolid, string-net liquid,
superglass and dark matter. But these
forms of matter are very rare and some of
them have not been observed, but are
believed to exist.

Humans have only five senses: It turns out
that sight, hearing, touch, smell and taste
are not the only sensory responses human
beings exhibit. Human sensory receptors
can also respond to pain (nociception),
changes in temperature (thermoception),
changes in balance (equilibrioception),
position (proprioception), magnetic
direction (magnetoception) and the
passage of time (chronoception).

Humans evolved from apes: This is a great
lie and misconception that has been here
with us since the day Charles Darwin
published his controversial “On the Origin
of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or
the Preservation of Favoured Races in the
Struggle for Life.” According to this well-
known biological framework, human
beings and the modern-day apes evolved
from a single, now-extinct ancestor. As time
passed by, these ancestors of ours began to
evolve differently based on climatic,
nutritional, geographical and social
changes.

Mount Everest is the highest place on
earth :

Mount Everest is the highest
mountain in the world quite alright, but it’s
not the part of the world that is closest to
outer space. Here how it works: the Earth
does not have a perfectly round structure
like the world globes you’ll find in most
schools. Geographers call this anomaly an
oblate spheroid, which means that the
earth has a bulge towards the equator. As a
result of this bulge, places close to the
equator are

http://saharareporters.com/2014/12/05/16-errors-are-still-taught-nigerian-schools-today-chinedu-rylan
Even WAEC and NECO syllabus never upgrade to this level
Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by Nobody: 1:06pm On Dec 06, 2014
Hey, before we go about shouting, "expository, I've learned something today!", let's bear in mind that a good deal of what the OP stated above are more opinionated than factual. We've always known about these debates but you don't expect our institutions to swiftly start teaching these controversies. I don't know why we derive pleasure from calling ourselves names. The subject of this thread implicitly suggests that Nigeria is way backwards for teaching these stuffs yet most of them are still taught in the Western world. Gone are the days when teachers were the only source of knowledge. Today, we have the Internet and most things are verifiable. Some of us do have American Curriculum for Basic classes and most of these arguable stuffs are not even there. It takes long for researches to find its way into academic schemes, dudes.

Once again, these are someone's opinion. We should mind the way we copy stuffs from the Internet and paste here with misleading captions.

Nice research, though.
Re: 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:08pm On Dec 06, 2014
[size=38pt]HUMANS EVOLVED FROM EARLY APES!

THESE APES ARE DIFFERENT FROM TODAYS APES.

NOT A SINGLE ANCESTOR!

ARE YOU SAYING THAT THE ANCESTOR BRED ASEXUALLY

GO GET AN EDUCATION AT OP!

KEEP YOUR USELESS XTIAN DOCTRINE TO YOURSELF![/size]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Difference Between ‘in the night’ and ‘at night’ / What I Saw On Twitter About Jamb Exam / Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.