Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,602 members, 7,816,500 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:04 PM

The 'homeless' Pastor - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The 'homeless' Pastor (874 Views)

Homeless Man Inspired Me To Go To Church Today (Photo) / The Lesson Of The Homeless Man / Pope Francis Puts On Costume To Sneak Out Of Vatican To Help The Homeless (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 'homeless' Pastor by Nobody: 10:17pm On Dec 06, 2014

"Pastor Jeremiah Steepek (pictured) transformed himself into a homeless person and went to the 10,000 member church that he was to be introduced as the head pastor at that morning. He walked around his soon to be church for 30 minutes while it was filling with people for service....only 3 people out of the 7-10,000 people said hello to him. He asked people for change to buy food....NO ONE in the church gave him change. He went into the sanctuary to sit down in the front of the church and was asked by the ushers if he would please sit n the back. He greeted people to be greeted back with stares and dirty looks, with people looking down on him and judging him.

As he sat in the back of the church, he listened to the church announcements and such. When all that was done, the elders went up and were excited to introduce the new pastor of the church to the congregation........"We would like to introduce to you Pastor Jeremiah Steepek".... The congregation looked around clapping with joy and anticipation.....The homeless man sitting in the back stood up..... and started walking down the aisle.....the clapping stopped with ALL eyes on him....he walked up the altar and took the microphone from the elders (who were in on this) and paused for a moment....then he recited

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

After he recited this, he looked towards the congregation and told them all what he had experienced that morning...many began to cry and many heads were bowed in shame.... he then said....Today I see a gathering of people...... not a church of Jesus Christ. The world has enough people, but not enough disciples...when will YOU decide to become disciples? He then dismissed service until next week....... Being a Christian is more than something you claim. I'ts something you live by and share with others."

... according to Snopes, this is an urban legend. But what do you think?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The 'homeless' Pastor by henryobinna(m): 10:26pm On Dec 06, 2014
hmm..

I've heard/read this somewhere.....

but this is very much obtainable in our churches today.. so the story being a legend is not a problem.. its still the same...
Re: The 'homeless' Pastor by Nobody: 10:32pm On Dec 06, 2014
I think it was a very good strategy of evangelization.
Re: The 'homeless' Pastor by Nobody: 10:53pm On Dec 06, 2014
Err..... *scratches head*
Re: The 'homeless' Pastor by SeverusSnape(m): 11:53pm On Dec 06, 2014
Very touching story, I believe there's a lesson to be learnt from this story, Be you a Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu and Atheist. Your religious affiliation and mine doesn't matter; what matters the most is the fact that the person is HUMAN, So any help whatsoever you can render to the person should be done wholeheartedly.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 'homeless' Pastor by smsshola(m): 2:49pm On Dec 07, 2014
@oop nice topic..ds us real in tday church. Mets u asked for my contact in one if my post dt u are recruiting youth fo a change Nigeria..ds is it 08030711384.
Re: The 'homeless' Pastor by AreaFada2: 4:47am On Dec 13, 2014
Legend or no legend, this is actually spot on.

People go to church as a mere habit/routine or as a social thing.

The heart is very from from Christ's teaching.

Many are called, few are chosen.
Re: The 'homeless' Pastor by malvisguy212: 6:10am On Dec 13, 2014
MissMeiya:

"Pastor Jeremiah Steepek (pictured) transformed himself into a homeless person and went to the 10,000 member church that he was to be introduced as the head pastor at that morning. He walked around his soon to be church for 30 minutes while it was filling with people for service....only 3 people out of the 7-10,000 people said hello to him. He asked people for change to buy food....NO ONE in the church gave him change. He went into the sanctuary to sit down in the front of the church and was asked by the ushers if he would please sit n the back. He greeted people to be greeted back with stares and dirty looks, with people looking down on him and judging him.

As he sat in the back of the church, he listened to the church announcements and such. When all that was done, the elders went up and were excited to introduce the new pastor of the church to the congregation........"We would like to introduce to you Pastor Jeremiah Steepek".... The congregation looked around clapping with joy and anticipation.....The homeless man sitting in the back stood up..... and started walking down the aisle.....the clapping stopped with ALL eyes on him....he walked up the altar and took the microphone from the elders (who were in on this) and paused for a moment....then he recited

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

After he recited this, he looked towards the congregation and told them all what he had experienced that morning...many began to cry and many heads were bowed in shame.... he then said....Today I see a gathering of people...... not a church of Jesus Christ. The world has enough people, but not enough disciples...when will YOU decide to become disciples? He then dismissed service until next week....... Being a Christian is more than something you claim. I'ts something you live by and share with others."

Re: The 'homeless' Pastor by malvisguy212: 6:11am On Dec 13, 2014
MissMeiya:

God bless you for this wonderful post my sister.many are called few are chosen.
Mod frontpage.

1 Like

Re: The 'homeless' Pastor by Nobody: 6:52am On Dec 13, 2014
Hmmmn...If not for the BH saga...Nigerians are known to be more hospitable and charitable than the western worlds.
Re: The 'homeless' Pastor by Nobody: 7:17am On Dec 13, 2014
A harsh reminder on what Christianity is all about. Love for everyone!
Re: The 'homeless' Pastor by lastmessenger: 7:37am On Dec 13, 2014
This is obtainable everywhere.

(1) (Reply)

Pray Yourself And Don't Be Gullible! / Receive Jesus Today - Prophet Dr Chris Okafor (liberation City) / The Back From The Dead Gospel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.