Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,804 members, 7,820,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:22 PM

‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ (1446 Views)

Do You Still Remember? Who Can Solve This Jss1 Maths Question? Ja / Meet Nigeria's 42-yr-old JSS1 Student And Her Son, In Same School [photo] / Why, At 42, I Am In JSS1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by lalasticlala(m): 10:45pm On Dec 06, 2014
Mrs. Juliana Godwin, a 42-year-old Junior Secondary School I (JSSI) student of Junior Secondary School, Gosa, Abuja, has become one of those persons with strong will to change her condition.

Mrs. Godwin, who hails from Riyom in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau State, had her education stalled by lack of sponsorship, a situation that made her to drop out, in 1983, of LEA Primary School, Riyom.

“I had to leave for Jos in 1983, since my father could no longer sponsor my education to secondary school because he had no money. While I was with my cousin, I enrolled in a tailoring shop to learn dress making. I completed it within a year and six months”, she told Sunday Vanguard.

In 2001, she and her children left Jos to join her husband in Abuja, where they live at Gosa village, along Airport Road.
An industrious woman, Godwin became the bread-winner of her family. Since had skill in hair plaiting, that became a source of livelihood for her and the family. Later she ventured into hawking of water in a basin in Gosa market to boost the family’s income.

“In 2003, I was able to save some money from water hawking. I started pepper and tomato business with N1,000 from the savings. I also went into corn roasting business, but my husband stopped me from the business in 2007,” she said.

In 2008, Godwin decided to go into vocational training with a non-governmental organisation called Refocusing Nigerian Talents Organisation, RENITO, where she was trained in soap (liquid, medicated and bar), pomade and disinfectants production.

“Now I can produce and sell the products I was trained on, and I started with N1,500”, Mrs. Godwin narrated.

“I came to realise that the business was lucrative and helpful to me and my family. I decided to make savings towards going back to school after I dropped out in 1983.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/12/42-jss1/

Pix: •L-R: Mrs. Juliana Godwin with her son, Sam Godwin, in front of Junior Secondary School, Gosa, Abuja signboard

Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by Goahead(m): 10:47pm On Dec 06, 2014
Good for her...
mama and pikin in the same school Wow what a country!
Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by daveP(m): 10:58pm On Dec 06, 2014
Wait this is in Abuja right?

(wondering and pondering)

well if OBJ the Muscovite could go back to school, any popc or mumc fit.

But wait o, if her son be her senior, e fit punish her?

Na confirm, state of the science monitoring be this!! grin grin

1 Like

Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by luigiajah(m): 11:00pm On Dec 06, 2014
Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by Nobody: 11:05pm On Dec 06, 2014
She's too old for this.
Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by JEITO: 11:16pm On Dec 06, 2014
I guess Albert Einstein was referring to this industrious mother when he said," keep sleeping, don't give up on your dream."
Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by PROCTOR: 11:32pm On Dec 06, 2014
I love her determination BUT she should have get a personal teacher,

2 Likes

Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by Nobody: 11:48pm On Dec 06, 2014
Shey na by force to attend school? Or she wan pull cheap publicity stunt.

See as she resemble Sikiratu my neighbour for that Uniform. embarassed
Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by ERCROSS(m): 11:49pm On Dec 06, 2014
In J.S.S 2 @ 42...But to what end..?

I can bet it that her brain won't even be ready for books and academical stress at that age..

To me, it's a waste of time and resources but as e be say na Election period, some of our politicians fit take advantage of her case cha...

#whoKnows undecided
Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by lanxlot(m): 12:21am On Dec 07, 2014
dem Fit still include ha 4 guinex buk of record una de here de run mouth.
Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by barackodam: 12:21am On Dec 07, 2014
daveP:
Wait this is in Abuja right?

(wondering and pondering)

well if OBJ the Muscovite could go back to school, any popc or mumc fit.

But wait o, if her son be her senior, e fit punish her?

Na confirm, state of the science monitoring be this!! grin grin

My boss, you get bad mind
Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by stuff46(m): 5:07am On Dec 07, 2014
naija as a country always has such kind of news everyday....
Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by Tberry01(f): 5:27am On Dec 07, 2014
Nice one
Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by oliidell(m): 5:39am On Dec 07, 2014
She could have enrolled for adult/evening classes and sat for GCE. She didn't have to go tru the whole school uniform and stockings palaver.

1 Like

Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by Medunah: 6:11am On Dec 07, 2014
waste of money and time. She knows how to make dresses and has little education, she even has other skills, cant she use the money to open a shop and become industrious and send her children to good skuls where they can get quality education. She is meant to focus on her children now. Education is not a must b4 u can successful.

Even if she really wants to be educated, what happened to adult schools??
Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by hatux: 6:57am On Dec 07, 2014
OMG! All is well!
Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by lilmax(m): 7:14am On Dec 07, 2014
Waste of time
Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by onuwaje(m): 7:48am On Dec 07, 2014
Never gift up!
Illiteracy is a disease
Atleast I av heard of a 70yr old going to primary sch

Good courage
Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by Janeify(f): 8:19am On Dec 07, 2014
Ehyah...poverty sucks but wait

If her children are stubborn, na gobe we dey call that one.she beats her son and he is like'mummy,we go meet for school' grin

1 Like

Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by Ariyke: 8:33am On Dec 07, 2014
shocked shocked
Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by daveP(m): 8:34am On Dec 07, 2014
barackodam:

My boss, you get bad mind
ah its true now. Well e get as e be.
Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by Nobody: 8:42am On Dec 07, 2014
PROCTOR:
I love her determination BUT she should have get a personal teacher,
thank you very much. The thought occured to me as well

1 Like

Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by Kolade9(m): 9:05am On Dec 07, 2014
Ah pity the boy...yabbing go too much embarassed
Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by PrettyHausaGirl(f): 9:31am On Dec 07, 2014
K
Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by widowhusband: 1:53pm On Dec 07, 2014
Medunah:
waste of money and time. She knows how to make dresses and has little education, she even has other skills, cant she use the money to open a shop and become industrious and send her children to good skuls where they can get quality education. She is meant to focus on her children now. Education is not a must b4 u can successful.

Even if she really wants to be educated, what happened to adult schools??
Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by widowhusband: 1:58pm On Dec 07, 2014
oliidell:
She could have enrolled for adult/evening classes and sat for GCE. She didn't have to go tru the whole school uniform and stockings palaver.

Had a mum like her in my sec sch, she was not made to wear socks sha, she used skirt and blouse version of our pinafore.

1 Like

Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by temhab(f): 5:49pm On Dec 07, 2014
Front page things

2 Likes

Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by WIZGUY69(m): 8:04pm On Dec 07, 2014
am coming lemme read the reasons.
cheesy
Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by Nobody: 8:36pm On Dec 07, 2014
waste of time! having a certificate is not everything. from her story it seems they're still a little below average in terms of income. she had better not waste that time and money on school but rather on her business which she can use to cater for children which I'm sure are still in school. she can always become rich someday. certificate does not guarantee a good life
Re: ‘why, At 42, I Am In JSS1’ by englishmart(m): 8:41pm On Dec 07, 2014
maybe a yaba left escapee

(1) (Reply)

JAMB Announce 2015/2016 UTME CBT Date / How To Carry Out Titration Experiment / FG BEA Scholarship Awardees In Russia Weep Say We Skip Meals To Survive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.