Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,900 members, 7,814,048 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:21 AM

Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? (23193 Views)

James Ibori Marries Senami Sosu As Second Wife? - The Capital / TINUBU Hijacks NASS Positions; Oyegun, Others Kick- The Capital.ng / Why Is Abuja The Capital Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by Muza(m): 11:27pm On Dec 03, 2008
kai grin,
let me get out of this thread,this one na Niger Delta terrorist affair grin
Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by shotster50(m): 12:02am On Dec 04, 2008
It simply doesnt make sense to shift the capital from Asaba to Warri just to satisfy your old delta province (whatever that is). These people are from Delta State so they should have equal rights when it comes to state capitals. As if people from Sapele/Warri are more delta than people from Agbor/Asaba/Ogwashiukwu,
Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by RedHotChic(f): 12:52am On Dec 04, 2008
Like someone asked earlier,why is a delta Igbo man now the president of Ohaneze ndi Igbo ?
and why are there Rivers state and delta Igbos in the World Igbo congress here in the USA?
I wonder oh. Who can answer this question?
Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by bawomolo(m): 4:51am On Dec 04, 2008
shotster50:

It simply doesnt make sense to shift the capital from Asaba to Warri just to satisfy your old delta province (whatever that is). These people are from Delta State so they should have equal rights when it comes to state capitals. Like people from Sapele/Warri are more delta than people from Agbor/Asaba/Ogwashiukwu,

Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by shotster50(m): 4:56am On Dec 04, 2008
Mr Chi Town i see you are bored.
Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by ow11(m): 8:49am On Dec 04, 2008
@poster

So which tribe should remain in Delta?

After this You will seek to pursue the Ijaws from DT to go and join BY and RV abi?
Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by otokx(m): 9:17am On Dec 04, 2008
delta state is ok the way it is with asaba as the capital; the truth howbeit is that they might never produce an executive governor.
Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by KnowAll(m): 2:11pm On Dec 04, 2008
It might be that Warri being further south in the tropical rain forest has developmental dis-advantage in terms of building roads and some other infrastructure. I remember the first time I went to Warri in the early eighties with my dad the only thing I could remember was rain, rain, I said to myself this rain no go stop. Such an enviroment could prove costly in terms building and maintaining roads. Asaba on the other hand is just between the tropical savannah and tropical rainforest.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by presido1: 10:00pm On Apr 23, 2009
Nigeria too complex, too many problem and the people don't know from where to start solving their problems.
Asaba people will claim they are not igbos, delta people will say asaba is not delta.
Asaba people wetin una be? were una belong? Abi una chop aduro for Delta/Igboland?.

*shaking head*

1 Like

Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by sosisi(f): 10:05pm On Apr 23, 2009
presido1:

Nigeria too complex, too many problem and the people don't know from where to start solving their problems.
Asaba people will claim they are not igbos, delta people will say asaba is not delta.
Asaba people wetin una be? were una belong? Abi una chop aduro for Delta/Igboland?.

*shaking head*

I have never met anyone from Asaba that says he's not Igbo.
The Asagba of Asaba Prof. Edozien calls himself an Igbo man
Ogwashi uku and Ibusa folks proudly call themselves Igbo
It's the Agbor area and Ukwuani people that are divided
Some say they are Igbo,others say they are from Bini
Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by sosisi(f): 10:10pm On Apr 23, 2009
presido1:

*shaking head*

see this article.

Asagba of Asaba: why some Igbos denounce their heritage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

, The chairman of the lecture, Obi Edozien, re-emphasised this point: “we Igbo people are one. We must stop fighting over irrelevancies and emphasise the essential.”

This point arose out of the tendency among Igbo people to regard some groups as not “real” Igbos on basis of dialectal differences. It also exists in the form of clearly Igbo-speaking people with Igbo names and cultural patterns declaring themselves as “not Igbo” but ethnic minorities.

This is very rampant among Igbo groups in the South-South zone who believe that by so self-declaring publicly, they would be more acceptable among the real minorities and allowed to take their places as ethnic minorities.

Experience has, however, shown that this self-delusion hardly ever produces their desired results. Whenever the push comes to the shove, the real minorities remind them that they are Igbo people who are out to take what belongs to the minorities through the back door.

This phenomenon was evident in 2006 when former Governor Peter Odili of Rivers State (who loved to call himself a “Rivers man,” as if Rivers State is a tribe) was running for president. Ijaw leader, Chief Edwin Clark openly declared Odili an Igbo man, arguing that the South-South president that the minorities have been agitating for was not meant to go to “an Igbo man.”

Given this situation, there has been an increasing shift of paradigm. Many Igbo groups, especially in Delta State, have decided no longer to play the masquerade. The Obi of Asaba, Professor Edozien, actually laid out conditions he believes will cement Igbo unity permanently.
Obi Edozien then called on the people of the South-East zone to support the creation of Anioma State and another for Igbo-speaking people of Rivers State to make for seven states, all of which will be lumped together in one zone or region.
Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by Abagworo(m): 10:39pm On Apr 23, 2009
@poster.why is awka the capital of anambra and not onitsha?why is oshogbo the capital of osun and not ife?why is umuahia tha capital of abia and not aba?
Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by RichyBlacK(m): 11:07pm On Apr 23, 2009
This whole affair of selective Igboness is a vestige of the Biafran War. The Igbo people are not defined by recently created artificial boarders but by their culture, reflected in language, names, customs, ceremonies, belief systems, etc.

The Igbos in Delta State who deny their Igboness are of three categories:
1. Those who are still hostages of the anti-Igbo mentality that was part of the policy of the Nigerian government in the mid 1960s to early 1970s.

2. Those who consider the River Niger as not just a geographical marker but also a cultural divide that separates Igbos in the east and non-Igbos in the West. This view was hyped up in the dark days leading to the Biafran War.

3. Those who have come to believe that the Igbos east of the River Niger do not see them as "real" Igbos, and in reaction to this sentiment declare their non-Igboness.

The fact of the matter is that the Afikpo man is no more Igbo than the Asaba man, and the Umunede woman is no less Igbo than the Awka woman. Igbo bu Igbo!

1 Like

Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by sherifatou: 1:21am On Apr 24, 2009
hmph.

Bullheadedness is not good!!! See some idiotic mod jumping over his double talking mouth to salvage what's left of his shredded reputation! As if he hasnt sunk himself in the muddy waters of xenophobic jealous bigotry!!!

@ topic

Anywhere they want to locate the capital, no sweat!!!!!!!
Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by lyar(m): 8:21pm On Apr 25, 2009
u guys are funny asking dis unimportant and enless question. una no get work! infact wether Asaba is in delta or delta state in asaba(make d calculation urself)is not an issue to crack our already troubled brains about.
Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by lyar(m): 8:25pm On Apr 25, 2009
[b]infact wether Asaba is in delta state or delta state in asaba shuld nt be an issue to bother our pretty heads about.
Bleep it man who cares if sokoto is the capital of bayelsa state! lipsrsealed
Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by Afam4eva(m): 9:08am On Oct 23, 2011
Pls was there ever anything like old delta state like the OP alluded to?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by Yeske2(m): 9:50pm On Oct 23, 2011
afam4eva:

Pls was there ever anything like old delta state like the OP alluded to?
No, he meant old DELta province that was merged with BENin province to form old BENDEL state which was later disjoined to form edo and delta states, i think the boundaries of the old provinces and the present states remain the same
Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by FIDAN: 12:54am On Oct 24, 2011
Guy,dnt u knw dt apart from oil,land is another resources,Asaba has d land resources and besides it will cost more trying to develop Warri to a state capital required standard because 1-it is a riverine area 2-there is high rate of insecurity 3-no peace.there are quite more reasons.in my own opinion I must say that those against the igbo speaking area should count it as a blessing having such a blessed area like ASABA being part of Delta state.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by jason123: 1:01am On Oct 24, 2011
FIDAN:

Guy,dnt u knw dt apart from oil,land is another resources,Asaba has d land resources and besides it will cost more trying to develop Warri to a state capital required standard because 1-it is a riverine area 2-there is high rate of insecurity 3-no peace.there are quite more reasons.in my own opinion I must say that those against the igbo speaking area should count it as a blessing having such a blessed area like ASABA being part of Delta state.

I am not against it but I have to say, your line of argument is weak!
Going by your logic, the National capital should be in Kano, Taraba or Benue, after all, there is relative peace there. Its not riverine and the cost of build is cheap.
Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by igboboy1(m): 6:12am On Oct 24, 2011
Well Asaba is the capital because it is closer to oshimili (my hometown) than warri grin (yes IBB was a family friend and he did us a favour, na paddy paddy dey reign for naija abeg hapu asaba aka) cool

Still gat mad love for Waff town though

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by Beaf: 6:41am On Oct 24, 2011
igbo boy:

Well Asaba is the capital because it is closer to oshimili (my hometown) than warri grin (yes IBB was a family friend and he did us a favour, na paddy paddy dey reign for naija abeg hapu asaba aka) cool

Still gat mad love for Waff town though

Chei! Man pikin no fit laf dis morning! grin
Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by monkeyleg: 7:54am On Oct 24, 2011
Should this really matter? Is the big Issue Why successive Governments have failed Deltans in general? I think we must all learn to put things like this aside a focus on the main matter. If Delta was working believe me Warri and most other major towns in Delta state would have had the necessary facelift / investment that it rightfully needs.

The selfishness of our leaders is pitting us against each other. Really this is not an issue. Conversely if Warri was actually made the capital, I doubt the major issues that plague her would go away. There are too many unecessary in-fighting, Fanned by those selfish leaders
Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by ektbear: 9:20am On Oct 24, 2011
Warri axis got kinda screwed

Smh @ IBB

Oh well, if this call for Anioma State goes through, then things will be corrected
Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by monkeyleg: 9:33am On Oct 24, 2011
@ekt_bear,

whilst I would love to have anioma state, do you really think any thing would change in Delta state. Asaba is not really the issue
Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by ektbear: 9:39am On Oct 24, 2011
It probably isn't. But it is just a small, kind of "why the fvck did you do that to us?" type of move.
Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by monkeyleg: 9:45am On Oct 24, 2011
Yeah, but we should deal with the deeper issues first. We cannot all seek states because the goverment of the day is not functioning. The diversity of Delta state is one of its positive attraction and quality. Even as old Bendel state we all lived together peacefully and this were not so bad
Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by Afam4eva(m): 10:13am On Oct 24, 2011
So, what's the criteria of citing a state capital or the capital of any entity. Personally i don't believe Warri should have been the capital. You don't make a commercial city, the capital of a state or a country.
Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by igboboy1(m): 10:06pm On Oct 24, 2011
ekt_bear:

Warri axis got kinda screwed

Smh @ IBB

Oh well, if this call for Anioma State goes through, then things will be corrected

Warri did not get screwed. Capital or no capital WARRI is still the oga in Delta state.

abeg focus on ekiti. you are not a Delta state native so let us handle our differences ourselves without interferrence from EKiti
Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by Beaf: 10:15pm On Oct 24, 2011
igbo boy:

Warri did not get screwed. Capital or no capital WARRI is still the oga in Delta state.

abeg focus on ekiti. you are not a Delta state native so let us handle our differences ourselves without interferrence from EKiti

Catch dat madly cold odeku! cool

[img]http://1.bp..com/_mUwt0ygX8Vw/SteG85MI8cI/AAAAAAAAABE/OWkjJxx4A6s/s320/guiness_ad.jpg[/img]
Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by mikedore: 10:20pm On Oct 24, 2011
Sleek:That is not wat should bother u, its more than 20 years Asaba became the state capital, bring up issues of immediate concern like fuel subsidy removal lets discuss them,instead of crying over what u cant change.
be matured.
Re: Why Is Asaba The Capital Of Delta State, Instead Of Warri? by ektbear: 10:22pm On Oct 24, 2011
igbo boy:

Heh. If "native" was the rule for defining what people can comment on, then the NL politics section would have a fraction of the traffic.

I'll follow that rule as soon as I see everyone else following it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Boko Haram: Nigeria And Neighbours Chad, Cameroon And Niger Celebrate Victories / President Buhari’s Frequent Foreign Trips & The Cost - Sahara Reporters / Lagos Begins Work On Cable Car Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.