Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,295 members, 7,811,884 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:13 PM

Is Saying "Thank You" As A Response To Someone's Greeting Appropriate? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Saying "Thank You" As A Response To Someone's Greeting Appropriate? (2600 Views)

Eid Ul Adha 2015 E-cards Greeting Cards Download Free / Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? / How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Saying "Thank You" As A Response To Someone's Greeting Appropriate? by uboma(m): 3:36pm On Dec 07, 2014
I get pissed after saying 'Good morning' or 'Good day' and the response i get is 'Thank you'. Should that be an appropriate response? What makes some people respond in such manner? Has anyone experienced same or is it just me?
Re: Is Saying "Thank You" As A Response To Someone's Greeting Appropriate? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Dec 07, 2014
uboma:
I get pissed after saying 'Good morning' or 'Good day' and the response i get is 'Thank you'. Should that be an appropriate response? What makes some people respond in such manner? Has anyone experienced same or is it just me?
the gesture that goes with it, will gve u a better understanding.
Re: Is Saying "Thank You" As A Response To Someone's Greeting Appropriate? by starlingbawa(m): 3:52pm On Dec 07, 2014
It's totally inappropriate!
Re: Is Saying "Thank You" As A Response To Someone's Greeting Appropriate? by uboma(m): 3:55pm On Dec 07, 2014
afolag:

the gesture that goes with it, will gve u a better understanding.

Can you be more explicit as to the kind of gestures that likely goes with such responses?
Re: Is Saying "Thank You" As A Response To Someone's Greeting Appropriate? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Dec 07, 2014
uboma:

Can you be more explicit as to the kind of gestures that likely goes with such responses?
like when ur girl fwend says she is sorry.....u can tell if actually she is.
some thank you will carry exclamation, some goes with a faint smile, some b like THANK YOU shocked
Re: Is Saying "Thank You" As A Response To Someone's Greeting Appropriate? by motherlode: 5:04pm On Dec 07, 2014
THANK YOU is polite way of accepting and also rejecting anything offered to you undecided. But don't be pissed off you can sense the meaning of their replies based on expression grin
Re: Is Saying "Thank You" As A Response To Someone's Greeting Appropriate? by Basildvalour(m): 5:44pm On Dec 07, 2014
A greeting is like a wish and should not only be wholly accepted by the first recipient.

It should be returned in order to show acceptance. If you get a Good morning greeting, the response should be Good morning to you too OR I wish you the same.

Just saying THANK YOU to me means you just don't want me to continue greeting you and its totally inappropriate.
Re: Is Saying "Thank You" As A Response To Someone's Greeting Appropriate? by uboma(m): 7:16pm On Dec 07, 2014
Basildvalour:
A greeting is like a wish and should not only be wholly accepted by the first recipient.

It should be returned in order to show acceptance. If you get a Good morning greeting, the response should be Good morning to you too OR I wish you the same.

Just saying THANK YOU to me means you just don't want me to continue greeting you and its totally inappropriate.

i share same feelings too.

(1) (Reply)

Seven Really Cool Places To Hang-out In Lagos With 5,000 Naira Or Less / Girl Stripped, Harassed In Public For Wearing Skimpy Dress In Abuja (video) / Traditional Wrapper: How Rivers Women Preserved This Heritage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.