Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,673 members, 7,813,242 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:19 AM

Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister (10336 Views)

Arik Air Delays Passengers For 6Hours At Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport, Abuja / Lagos Plane Crash: List Of Passengers & Survivors / Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister by Obinoscopy(m): 7:05am On Dec 10, 2014
Nigeria- Minister of Aviation, Osita Chidoka, on Monday, said plans had been concluded to ensure that passengers were compensated for delayed and cancelled flights by airline operators in the country.

Speaking at the official inauguration of the Aviation Passengers Service (APS) Portal and Helpline Number in Abuja, Chidoka said the portal was designed to enhance efficiency and provide first hand information on the operations of airlines and the activities of the aviation sector in the country.

According to him, airline operators will be closely monitored on delayed and cancelled flights through the portal ``and the Aviation Commit Initiative’’ of the ministry.

"It is not enough to say that flights are delayed; we will make sure that failure to take off after 15 minutes will be considered as delay and after one hour passengers will be entitled to some compensation.

``We will force the airlines to compensate passengers after six hours delay, and if there is a delay for 12 hours, airlines will be compelled to provide passengers with accommodation for the night.’’

The minister said that the ministry had on its own made commitments to ensure that mails and applications from the airlines were treated within 24 hours.

He added that plans had been concluded to make it mandatory for passengers using Nigerian airports to carry a means of identification.

According to him, passengers using local flights must either have international passports or driver’s licence or the national identity card.

``What this means is that any passenger that misbehaves at the airport could be refrained from using any aircraft in Nigeria because with the identity, the passenger will not be allowed to get boarding pass.

``Passengers are therefore advised to behave in an orderly manner at the airport and ensure that rules and regulations are obeyed.’’ he said.
http://www.nigerianbulletin.com/threads/airlines-will-now-compensate-passengers-for-delay-cancelled-flights-minister.103124/

6 Likes

Re: Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister by simplemach(m): 7:12am On Dec 10, 2014
Ok. Atleast now i can start flying. You know i did not just want to get involved with flights in the past because of all these flight delays and unwarranted cancellations. But now that it has been adressed, i think i will have to just start patronizing them.

4 Likes

Re: Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister by Nobody: 7:23am On Dec 10, 2014
Good development.
But it's not strict enough.

1 Like

Re: Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister by englishmart(m): 7:24am On Dec 10, 2014
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh
Dana airline that delayed my flight to Burundi will have to compensate me handsomely
smiley cool

3 Likes

Re: Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister by Nelsman(m): 7:26am On Dec 10, 2014
This is indeed a huge step forward, quite a welcomed development.

3 Likes

Re: Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister by Odunharry(m): 7:28am On Dec 10, 2014
confirmento
Re: Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister by lilprinze: 7:53am On Dec 10, 2014
Nice
Re: Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister by Burger01(m): 7:53am On Dec 10, 2014
Well done minister..
Re: Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister by Nobody: 7:53am On Dec 10, 2014
airlines will be compelled to provide passengers
with accommodation for
the night.’’
only accommodation? They should be Feed also

1 Like

Re: Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister by gbodimowo(m): 7:53am On Dec 10, 2014
I wish
Re: Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister by bigfamo(m): 7:53am On Dec 10, 2014
hmmmm
Re: Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister by lekanolaolu: 7:54am On Dec 10, 2014
Hope it is true...
Re: Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister by iceberylin(m): 7:54am On Dec 10, 2014
Cool
Re: Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister by Ptoocool(m): 7:55am On Dec 10, 2014
Well, ion fly so diz iz non of ma biz

Ma biq uncle Jonz diz iz 4u..
#Brinq'EmBack

ion fink diz iz 2much 2ask 4..

2 Likes

Re: Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister by Prodeegee(m): 7:55am On Dec 10, 2014
Ope o
Re: Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister by pekeyim: 7:55am On Dec 10, 2014
That's gonna be good.
Thanks to FRSC.

But sometimes it's not the fault of the Airlines sometimes it's the fault of FAAN, and Co, so in that case Who is going to compensate the passengers?
Re: Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister by Newkidoo(m): 7:56am On Dec 10, 2014
Which post are you vying for in 2015 that is making you do this

2 Likes

Re: Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister by phransix147(m): 7:57am On Dec 10, 2014
If this is true I go dey hammer every week... Cos I always have like 3 delayed flight every week and this particular airline is never repentant... Won't call their name so ppl no go dey rush dem, if we too plenty dem no go dey get money pay me...

7 Likes

Re: Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister by teeghurl(f): 7:57am On Dec 10, 2014
Nice one
Re: Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister by sunnshyn(f): 7:57am On Dec 10, 2014
We shall see....
Re: Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister by Elusive9(f): 7:57am On Dec 10, 2014
embarassed
Re: Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister by MillionDollars: 7:57am On Dec 10, 2014
naso dem go dey run their mouth like IKOGOSI WATER FALLS

1 Like

Re: Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister by QuiverBox(f): 7:58am On Dec 10, 2014
englishmart:
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh
Dana airline that delayed my flight to Burundi will have to compensate me handsomely
smiley cool

I guess Every thread on Nairaland is a joke?

1 Like

Re: Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister by jvera(f): 7:58am On Dec 10, 2014
wat sought of compensation wud worth wat d individual has missed due to d delay
Re: Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister by texazzpete(m): 7:58am On Dec 10, 2014
What Is all this 'we will' and 'we may'?

Make it law, make it a guideline and enforce it. It doesn't take Ages to get this done.

This is something Stealer Oduah should have put in place. It's a no-brainer. People should not have to land in lagos by 12 midnight because of airline delay and be left to meander home in the dark.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do You Ever Think Of Moving Back To Nigeria / Pls What's The Difference Between Fatal And Ghastly Accident? / How To Apply For / Renew A Nigerian Passport In The UK 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.