Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,128 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:52 PM

How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently (13677 Views)

Al-Jazeera Portrays Nigerian Women As Prostitutes: Nigerians On Twitter React / Ben Bruce Compares Price Of Kerosene In Nigeria And India / China And Russia Send Sophisticated War Weapons To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by Nobody: 2:45am On Dec 11, 2014
all4naija:

Those your overly painting of a good picture for those two Asian countries is preposterous to say the least. No intelligent person is going to buy into it.[/i]

I alluded to the fact that both countries had widespread poverty (didn't you read?), but conceded the points which they have over us as far image, PR, Economy and so on.

What is overly rosy about what I said?

How many Indians and Chinese are represented in science and technology fields compared to Africans (even is Africa as a whole is taken to be a country and compared to just India or just China)?
What is the view of Indian and Chinese immigrants in most countries the world over, compared to Nigerians, Cameroonians?
List contributions to ancient and modern history from Egypt, China, and India individually and compare it with individual contributions from Nigeria, Cameroon, Congo, Gabon?
Which countries are the US or Europe likely to consider an Economic threat - China or Nigeria? India or Ethiopia?

Based on the above, which countries are likely to be shown as more "equal" than others?
Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by kmariko: 3:02am On Dec 11, 2014
chulla12:
As true as this post may be, there are several things that China and India have (despite widespread poverty) that Nigeria and most Sub-Saharan countries don't:

1. A trillion dollar economy, BRIC membership, image of big economies on a global scale.
2. Cultures and norms that have greatly influenced the modern world. Think of maths, spirituality, gun-powder, paper, etc. (And please don't even mention Egypt. An Egyptian family would not be portrayed in a degrading manner anyway and most people associate Egypt with the middle-east and not Black Africa...whether you think this is right or wrong is another matter).
3. Antiquated societies with substantial physical and written evidences to show for it (see my comment above regarding Egypt).
4. Migratory cultures that seem to produce the image of model minorities everywhere Indians and Chinese are (dominating local markets, over-representation in STEM programs or science and technology, generally avoiding petty crimes such as being drug mules). This is unlike Africans who seem to not hold an upstanding reputation in most countries they migrate to except maybe the US or Canada.
5. More of a threat to the domination of Europe than Sub-Saharan African countries.

Actually your assertion is not backed by facts.
1. South Africa is one of the BRICS.
2.sub- Saharan (if I may use the term) economy is 2.2 trillion.
3. Contribution to civilization from Africa, please read your history.
4. Who are the largest importers of heroin if I may ask.
Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by Horus(m): 3:07am On Dec 11, 2014
chulla12:

But Black men can continue plunging into assorted Caucasian "baby cats" despite having higher numbers of interracial relationships abi?

grin grin grin

You should know that a Black man cannot become pregnant. The female has the Mitochondrial DNA which is passed from mother to daughter only. Men cannot pass it on, only women.
Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by Nobody: 3:12am On Dec 11, 2014
kmariko:

Actually your assertion is not backed by facts.
1. South Africa is one of the BRICS.
2.sub- Saharan (if I may use the term) economy is 2.2 trillion.
3. Contribution to civilization from Africa, please read your history.
4. Who are the largest importers of heroin if I may ask.

1. BRICS membership is just one piece of the economic puzzle (South Africa was recently added anyway and is one of a few anomalies in SSA. I think most people know why).
2. Okay..I was talking about individual sub-saharan countries compared to China and India. There is no individual Sub-Saharan African country with a trillion dollar economy. Maybe Nigeria will get there soon but its shady reputation and Boko Haram antics ruins the super power wannabe image.
3. Ok, please list the contributions to global civilization from countries in Africa (outside Egypt) and compare with China and India.
4. I was talking about petty crime and not organized drug empires that you see in Mexico, Colombia, etc. Which immigrants are you likely to see in corners of shady neighborhoods in Asia or Europe hawking or retailing drugs to downtrodden junkies?
Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by Nobody: 3:16am On Dec 11, 2014
Horus:

You should know that a Black man cannot become pregnant. The female has the Mitochondrial DNA which is passed from mother to daughter only. Men cannot pass it on, only women.

Doesn't that argue against Black men mating with other races as opposed to Black women? Biracial children from Black men and Caucasian mothers are less likely to be Black compared to those from Black women.

Anyways, keep banging Caucasian "Baby cats," while telling Black women to put up or shut up. undecided
Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by Nobody: 3:24am On Dec 11, 2014
chulla12:

Biracial children from Black men and Caucasian mothers are less likely to be Black compared to those from Black women.

Lie.

Men carry both the X and Y chromosome. Women only have the X chromosome. Going by this a white man having a biracial son with a black woman passes his male genes to him. The case is the same with black men and white women.

A biracial male from a white male and black female couple is more white gene wise than the reverse.

Skin tone has nothing to do with it as some biracial people may appear more Caucasian irrespective of the race of the mother either black or white.
Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by kmariko: 3:28am On Dec 11, 2014
chulla12:

1. BRICS membership is just one piece of the economic puzzle (South Africa was recently added anyway and is one of a few anomalies in SSA. I think most people know why).
2. Okay..I was talking about individual sub-saharan countries compared to China and India. There is no individual Sub-Saharan African country with a trillion dollar economy. Maybe Nigeria will get there soon but it's shady reputation and Boko Haram antics ruins the super power wannabe image.
3. Ok, please list the contributions to global civilization from countries in Africa (outside Egypt) and compare with China and India.
4. I was talking about petty crime and not organized drug empires that you see in Mexico, Colombia, etc. Which immigrants are you likely to see in corners of shady neighborhoods in Asia or Europe hawking or retailing drugs to downtrodden junkies?

So organised crime is much more noble than petty crime . perception is not reality but a comfort zone. If you are looking for a Nigerian drug peddler you will find one even when a Chinese peddler is standing by.

Once again read your history we can debate that on another thread. There are even you tube videos that makes it easier to understand.

The thread is not about individual countries in Africa but the continent. If want to then choose countries with comparable size..not apples to oranges
Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by Horus(m): 3:39am On Dec 11, 2014
chulla12:

Doesn't that argue against Black men mating with other races as opposed to Black women? Biracial children from Black men and Caucasian mothers are less likely to be Black compared to those from Black women.

Anyways, keep banging Caucasian "Baby cats," while telling Black women to put up or shut up. undecided

Only a black woman can pass the Mitochondrial DNA of the black race from mother to daughter, not a caucasian female
Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by Nobody: 3:46am On Dec 11, 2014
Horus:

Only a black woman can pass the Mitochondrial DNA of the black race from mother to daughter, not a caucasian female

Ok so that means that biracial children (particularly daughters) from Black women are more genetically advantaged than those from Black men, right?

So why do Black men, the so called leaders of the Black race, date out? Imagine the non-black kids inheriting the wealth of rich Black fathers in interracial marriages.
Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by Nobody: 3:50am On Dec 11, 2014
Ok...I was playing around with your friend's argument so take that up with him.

Even considering your points and his together this just means that Black men and Black women, at worst are at equal genetic disadvantage when dating out.

Which brings us full circle - why are Black women still held to different dating standards than men? I don't actually care for White men anyway but don't be hypocrites!

BackDatAssUp:

Lie.

Men carry both the X and Y chromosome. Women only have the X chromosome. Going by this a white man having a biracial son with a black woman passes his male genes to him. The case is the same with black men and white women.

A biracial male from a white male and black female couple is more white gene wise than the reverse.

Skin tone has nothing to do with it as some biracial people may appear more Caucasian irrespective of the race of the mother either black or white.

Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by Nobody: 3:59am On Dec 11, 2014
kmariko:

So organised crime is much more noble than petty crime . perception is not reality but a comfort zone. If you are looking for a Nigerian drug peddler you will find one even when a Chinese peddler is standing by.

Once again read your history we can debate that on another thread. There are even you tube videos that makes it easier to understand.

The thread is not about individual countries in Africa but the continent. If want to then choose countries with comparable size..not apples to oranges

1. No crime is dignified but petty crime sends out certain signals if perpetrated by certain groups. There may be Chinese, Indian or American drug pushers but Nigerians are stereotyped the world over for this for a reason.

2. Well Afrocentric history articles are swamped with references to mostly Egypt...is this rooted in some truth we'd rather not address? For example, can we compare ancient Angola with Ancient China? Even Ancient Mali doesn't have the rich tapestry of antiquity compared to China or India. I can think of 2 countries that try....modern Sudan or Ethiopia but IMO they still don't equate to the philosophies, inventions, spirituality and other cultural attributes of the far East.

3. My bad...the 3 pictorial examples in family dining were China, India and Chad so this was the basis for my argument.
Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by Nobody: 4:11am On Dec 11, 2014
chulla12:
Ok...I was playing around with your friend's argument so take that up with him.

Even considering your points and his together this just means that Black men and Black women, at worst are at equal genetic disadvantage when dating out.

Which brings us full circle - why are Black women still held to different dating standards than men? I don't actually care for White men anyway but don't be hypocrites!

Most black women I know that date white men are usually more successful than the white women who date black men.

Most black men that date white women are usually successful financially and they seek out the white women for whatever reason.

While Black women who date white men are also successful, their choice of dating white men fall within the social circles their success grants them. Not that they prefer white men over black men but because the men that normally would compliment their success are usually white (most of the time).

This example is usually reoccurring in the US.

In Nigeria, black women that have white partners do it for financial reasons and as such can not be considered a relationship.

In short, black women dating white men are usually making a rational choice of choosing a suitable mate irrespective of race.

While in most cases black men seeking out white women have no justification for it other than testing the waters or soothing their inferiority complex

I prefer black women any day and no matter the level of success will make me want a white woman over my ebony queen.

1 Like

Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by Horus(m): 4:54am On Dec 11, 2014
chulla12:

Ok so that means that biracial children (particularly daughters) from Black women are more genetically advantaged than those from Black men, right?

So why do Black men, the so called leaders of the Black race, date out? Imagine the non-black kids inheriting the wealth of rich Black fathers in interracial marriages.

Only Black man + Black woman + Black child = Original Family
Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by Blackvampire(m): 6:06am On Dec 11, 2014
I hate this westerners dey say africa is this n that but what are they here in the continent ..gosh u see them everywhere with their pasty pale bodies n slippers yansh women..stay away from african countries if its that bad nonsense bloody hypocrites

2 Likes

Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by Iroh88(m): 6:10am On Dec 11, 2014
onoja12:
my brother wake up, they just hate you, they know you are rich naturally so they have to brain wash you into thinking you are poor so they can keep stealing from you, wake up

Bone that thing. I don't need their love, and honestly, I really don't care about them either. Their love or hate doesn't really stop us from becoming what we desire to become as a nation, all it takes is having the right thinking and selfless leaders.

It doesn't take someone's love or hatred for you to know if you are rich or poor materially. The greatest economies we have today never depended on "western love" to rise from the dust. Take WWII Germany for instance, the WORLD hated them with passion because of the role they played in the war and given that the whole thing started with their country's president. That country was literally turned into a pile of rubble and dust at the end of the war, and all manner of sanctions including the Treaty of Versailles were slapped on them!! They didn't wait for the US and co to start "loving" them before they started the process of rebuilding their country. Today, it is the most industrialised country in the world and the power house of Europe!!

When our leaders and indeed their followers start doing the right things, all the propaganda wouldn't matter anymore. Self pity and acting victimised has never solved anyone's problem in history, let alone a country's.
Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by kobikwelu(m): 6:23am On Dec 11, 2014
As for the OP, after the presentation, did you walk to the presenter and make known this fact ?

Or did you rush here to vent your frustration??

CHANGE CAN ONLY COME TO THOSE WHO SPEAK UP FOR WHAT IS RIGHT. Stop hiding behind the shadows and lamenting
Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by igbo2011(m): 7:12am On Dec 11, 2014
European ideology is very anti-African in philosophy so it only shows the bad in the media. Also inn school it teaches you that Africa has no history and culture. Africa is just wars, famine, starving children, etc. That is the way the white supremacists made it.

This is why black people are treated badly in the west due to this ideology. They don't want Africa to rise because if Africa rises then the west will fall. That is how slavery in America started with Africans being at the bottom

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by cocoduck: 8:16am On Dec 11, 2014
BackDatAssUp:

And who controls most of the UN agencies?

My point being that you can not refute western perceptions based on their own data.

That is like cherry picking and taking the values that suit you.

What Africa desperately needs is to fix her problems by themselves with their own home grown solutions.

Every time there is a conflict some where in Africa, the UN and red cross get there before any regional or continental response.

The world is tired of fixing Africa.
Excuse me Mr Ignorant, Just Go And DIE, the whole world is tired of fixing your father's a55 hole, not me, I work hard to make ends meet just as any body on this planet does legally, I don't need their useless help, Go and play D'Princes' OYO on YouTube. STUP1D
Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by LogicPower(m): 8:24am On Dec 11, 2014
PapaBrowne:
Just sad the powerful effect this kind of propaganda reflects.

I was in Italy recently(Florence & Bologna) specifically and I kept wondering to myself why on planet earth we are made to believe these folks are better than us. My life(economically) is better in Nigeria than probably 80% of Italians. Yes they have better infrastructure, security and access to public icicles amenities, but on a person one on one level in my house I live better than a large chunk of Europeans and I can bet 20% of Nigerians can proudly attest to that.

Yes there are poor Nigerianss and very plenty but surely not as many as they want it to look.

The part in bold is the grim reality that you would be faced with whenever you attempt to compare life in Nigeria and in those poor European countries and, to a large extent, some Asian countries like China, India, Malaysia and Thailand, and African countries.

As you rightly observe, many Nigerians like yourself might be considered, on one on basis, as living a far better life than over 20% of people in those EU countries and over 50% of people in Asian countries. Yet those same people have far greater and freer ACCESS to modern public infrastructure and basic amenities such as good roads, hospitals, uninterrupted electricity, clean portable water and security than most Nigerians.

I think even an average city dweller in an African country like S.Africa, Egypt, Cabon, Morocco, Tunisia, and others, enjoys far greater and better ACCESS to these public infrastructure and social amenities than an average middle class Nigerian.

I have not been to any of these African cities but I do not think power generators, for instance, are as part of their daily life as they have become part of the daily life of an average city dweller in Nigeria, including an apparently well-to-do people like you.
Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by PapaBrowne(m): 8:34am On Dec 11, 2014
LogicPower:

The part in bold is the grim reality that you would be faced with whenever you attempt to compare life in Nigeria and in those poor European countries and, to a large extent, some Asian countries like China, India, Malaysia and Thailand, and African countries.

As you rightly observe, many Nigerians like yourself might be considered, on one on basis, as living a far better life than over 20% of people in those EU countries and over 50% of people in Asian countries. Yet those same people have far greater and freer ACCESS to modern public infrastructure and basic amenities such as good roads, hospitals, uninterrupted electricity, clean portable water and security than most Nigerians.

I think even an average city dweller in an African country like S.Africa, Egypt, Cabon, Morocco, Tunisia, and others, enjoys far greater and better ACCESS to these public infrastructure and social amenities than an average middle class Nigerian.

I have not been to any of these African cities but I do not think power generators, for instance, are as part of their daily life as they have become part of the daily life of an average city dweller in Nigeria, including an apparently well-to-do people like you.

You are right in the context you speak of. But those photos actually dwell on the private lives(average meal) of an individual family and not on public social amenities. Ask yourself why they presented pictures of a refugee camp for Africa and choose the poorest African country while presenting city life for China and India? If you have been in India you notice that Africans do live a much better quality of life than Indians
Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by Nobody: 12:57pm On Dec 11, 2014
Ilekokonit:

Nigeria (i.e Nigerian leaders lootocrats) past and present have let down the black race. If not, Nigeria ought to have become a Mecca of sorts for all black people on the planet.

Fela Kuti must be shaking his head at the international joke Nigeria has now become.

You just have to watch see the commentaries and documentaries about Nigeria during independence. The hope of the black world was on Nigeria...but the country has been an utter failure.

Heck, it has failed to make any real progress in terms of proper development since the 60s - shameful.
Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by onoja12: 1:48pm On Dec 11, 2014
I couldn't agree with you more. I swear there is always great joy in my heart when I get write ups like this

Iroh88:
Bone that thing. I don't need their love, and honestly, I really don't care about them either. Their love or hate doesn't really stop us from becoming what we desire to become as a nation, all it take for us to rise is just to have the right thinking and selfless leaders.

It doesn't take someone's love or hatred for you to know if you are rich or poor materially. The greatest economies we have today never depended on "western love" to rise from the dust. Take WWII Germany for instance, the WORLD hated them with passion because the role they played in the war and given that the whole thing started with their country's president. That country was literally turned into a pile of rubble and dust at the end of the war, and all manner of sanctions were slapped on them!! They didn't wait for the US and co to start "loving" them before they started the process of rebuilding their country. Today, it is the most industrialised country in the world and the power house of Europe!!

When our leaders and indeed their followers start doing the right things, all the propaganda wouldn't matter anymore. Self pity and acting victimised has never solved anyone's problem in history, let alone a country's.
Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by iamord(m): 1:56pm On Dec 11, 2014
igbo2011:
European ideology is very anti-African in philosophy so it only shows the bad in the media. Also inn school it teaches you that Africa has no history and culture. Africa is just wars, famine, starving children, etc. That is the way the white supremacists made it.

This is why black people are treated badly in the west due to this ideology. They don't want Africa to rise because if Africa rises then the west will fall. That is how slavery in America started with Africans being at the bottom
. Since you know...why don't u rise
Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by iamord(m): 1:59pm On Dec 11, 2014
Ilekokonit:

Nigeria (i.e Nigerian leaders lootocrats) past and present have let down the black race. If not, Nigeria ought to have become a Mecca of sorts for all black people on the planet.

Fela Kuti must be shaking his head at the international joke Nigeria has now become.
. I will make ghana the mecca of the black race. Its has been. Our possession!
Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by asala1: 2:34pm On Dec 11, 2014
The sad part is that most sub-Sahara African countries (like Nigeria) are not trying to develop their infrastructure and economy, it's just still business as usual. The truth is that the gap between African countries and Asia countries (like India and China) will be very wide in next 20 years. I was in the city of Bangalore in India last year where I spent 4 months, I didn't experience a single power cut throughout my stay (not even for 1 sec.), I later got to understand that the power provided for Karnataka State (where Bangalore is the capital) is 4 times that of Nigeria, this is a state of less than 12 million and they still have power projects going on till 2050. Education is Nigeria is totally shitty at a levels, in India all the students in the public owned university are on paid scholarship from undergraduate to post-doctoral level, public university are very well funded and equipped. I think it's time we get rid of this I pass my neighbor syndrome and get dirty to work, that's the only way we can help ourselves.
Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by asala1: 2:46pm On Dec 11, 2014
ROSSIKE:
'More poor' in India than Africa - BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10609407

Yes. But if look at it objectively, India has more population than the whole of Africa, bigger middle class than all of Africans middle class combined and have a bigger GDP than the whole of Africa combined. Africa will still be portrayed as poor until Africans start to take themselves serious.
Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by Nobody: 2:51pm On Dec 11, 2014
chulla12:
Ok - I was talking in context of this thread and the pictures Rossike presented. An Egyptian family having dinner would be shown in a more dignifying manner than the Chadians.

Even with all the grimy pictures you show - None of these countries are ever shown in the degrading manner that Black African countries are presented. Deny it all you want.

I'm sure there are equally scandalous pictures from the US but does that take away it's dominant power in the world? No:

Why don't my other points make sense to you?

Please, stop using rural people living in the poor home and swamp in USA to define this argument. The fact that you posted abandoned buildings, possibly in Michigan, where drug-using twerps do their criminal activities in the hood doesn't make sense. Those are abandoned homes where illegal and homeless people choose to hide. Even at that it provides roofs over their heads but that is not the case with those countries because of endemic poverty. Your comparison is very skewed.

1 Like

Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by Nobody: 3:09pm On Dec 11, 2014
all4naija:
Please, stop using rural people living in the poor home and swamp in USA to define this argument. The fact that you posted abandoned buildings, possibly in Michigan, where drug-using twerps do their criminal activities in the hood doesn't make sense. Those are abandoned homes where illegal and homeless people choose to hide. Even at that it provide roofs over their head but that is not the case with those country because of endemic poverty. You comparison is very skewed.

Ok....my points have obviously flown over your head. If you knew that I even agree with your quoted post and that it makes my points even all the more valid then this pointless discussion won't even take place.

I'm done here!
Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by Nobody: 3:21pm On Dec 11, 2014
chulla12:

Ok....my points have obviously flown over your head. If you knew that I even agree with your quoted post and that it makes my points even all the more valid then this pointless discussion won't even take place.

I'm done here!
No, you don't have to quit because your argument is baseless. Those images you presented of USA are not the way other nations or developed nations see almighty USA citizens. But for those other developing nations in this discussion they are seen as poor due to the magnitude of hunger and squalid life there. Did you get my point now?

1 Like

Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by igbo2011(m): 3:30pm On Dec 11, 2014
[quote author=iamord post=28787294]. Since you know...why don't u rise [/quote

]

What do you mean?
Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by Wallie(m): 3:51pm On Dec 11, 2014
Those with power decide what kinds of story we see, hear, or read about. They tell the narration that conforms to their bias and/or believe.

You want to tell a different story, the real story? Attain power. Nobody will listen to you if you're powerless; you'll just die of frustration.

1 Like

Re: How The Western Media Portrays Africa, China, And India Differently by netotse(m): 3:57pm On Dec 11, 2014
Wallie:
Those with power decide what kinds of story we see, hear, or read about. They tell the narration that conforms to their bias and/or believe.

You want to tell a different story, the real story? Attain power. Nobody will listen to you if you're powerless; you'll just die of frustration.
Spot on! case in point, Obj's new book. Imagine him saying 3rd term was the governors' idea...dude is trying to rewrite history.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Psychiatric Test To Be Conducted On Serving Policemen, Recruits – IGP / Aisha Buhari Attends Babatunde Osotimehin Memorial Lecture In London(photos) / Tony Momoh: Obasanjo Created Chaos In Nigeria, Buhari Working To Restore Order

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.