Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,171 members, 7,825,658 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:04 PM

The Unbiblical Practice Of Altar Calls & The Sinner's Prayer - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Unbiblical Practice Of Altar Calls & The Sinner's Prayer (2533 Views)

10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church / POPULAR JOHN 3:16 Destroys The Unbiblical Tri-ni-ty / Obama's Unbiblical Declaration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Unbiblical Practice Of Altar Calls & The Sinner's Prayer by JeSoul(f): 7:01pm On Dec 04, 2008
I've been meaning to talk about this for a long time now. I read a book a while back by Ernest Reisinger called "Today's Evangelism" written before I was born but there was so much truth that was in the 1980's that still rings true today. You will not go wrong if you buy n read this book, I got it for only $3 bucks at amazon.

There are many people walking around today who believe that they are "saved" because they were led to believe that if they prayed the "sinner's prayer" Jesus would "come into their heart" and they would make Him their "personal Lord and Savior" and they'd be all set for heaven. After they're done repeating the prayer, the preacher then declares the person "saved".
  Rubbish. 

-I challenge the Christians to show me an example in the scriptures where Jesus, or any of the apostles, disciples etc led people to Christ in the prevalent format we see today. A church setting the preacher makes an invitation for the altar call for the 'sinners' to come forward, while the congrgation sits and watches, the worship band is playing softly creating an emotional atmosphere, he leads them in the 10 second prayer, and then declares "If you just said that prayer you have been saved". Jesus as far as my bible reads did not hold a single altar call once or lead people in the "sinners prayer".
-I also challenge you to look into your bible, search and nowhere will you see anything like making Jesus your "personal Lord and Savior". We don't make Jesus Lord, He IS Lord.

Infact in one of the best examples of a service, when Peter preached before thousands, he did not give an altar call afterwards, he did not lead the crowd to say the "sinners prayer" But instead the people convicted by the HolySpirit, asked Peter, "what should we do?" People as they experience the power of God in the plain simple gospel were moved and convicted by the HolySpirit, and took the next step to submit their lives to God.

They weren't coaxed or persuaded into conversion. Much of today's evangelism is a hollywood, romantic spin-off that is empty of real power in bringing about real and genuine and long lasting change in people. Today churches are filled with people who are lost, still clinging to their idols and sinful lifestyles, having never truly repented and all the while believing (because their pastor told them) that if they said a prayer they would be saved.
Now I know not everything is in the bible, and if a practice has biblical basis then it is permissible. But in this instance I think examples are aplenty on how to go about this business. Now are some genuinely saved thru these methods? absolutely yes, because God can bring about good from our wrongs. But does this justify the wrong? absolutely not.
Re: The Unbiblical Practice Of Altar Calls & The Sinner's Prayer by DavidDylan(m): 7:18pm On Dec 04, 2008
I will return to address a few of my concerns later but two things struck me:

search and nowhere will you see anything like making Jesus your "personal Lord and Savior". We don't make Jesus Lord, He IS Lord. - It is true that Jesus IS Lord but it is our conscious duty to make the personal decision to accept him as Lord over our lives. So in that sense i dont see anything wrong with "making Jesus your personal Lord and Saviour.

Christ is the Saviour of the world but until you come to Him in Godly repentance, His death on the cross is of no value to you.

- Is there anything wrong with an "altar-call"? I say not . . . Because the bible does not expressly say that Peter called for those who wanted to be saved to come forward does not mean what we do now is wrong.
Re: The Unbiblical Practice Of Altar Calls & The Sinner's Prayer by JeSoul(f): 7:34pm On Dec 04, 2008
DavidDylan:

It is true that Jesus IS Lord but it is our conscious duty to make the personal decision to accept him as Lord over our lives. So in that sense i don't see anything wrong with "making Jesus your personal Lord and Saviour.
  True we make the decision to accept Him and follow Him BUT we don't make Jesus Lord, He already is, right?

Is there anything wrong with an "altar-call"? I say not . . . Because the bible does not expressly say that Peter called for those who wanted to be saved to come forward does not mean what we do now is wrong.

I agree. My beef is not with the altar call in itself David, it's moreso with the way it is prevalently practiced: calling the sinners down, playing the emotional music, telling them to repeat a prayer, and then declaring them saved - that's what I mean by "altar call" and that's my gripe lays brotha.
Re: The Unbiblical Practice Of Altar Calls & The Sinner's Prayer by Cristalz(f): 8:31pm On Dec 04, 2008
JeSoul:

True we make the decision to accept Him and follow Him BUT we don't make Jesus Lord, He already is, right?

You seem to be missing David's point.

Jesus is already Lord yeah,but he isn't Lord over an individual's life until that individual makes a conscious decision to that effect. Jesus doesn't force anybody to put him first in their lives. . .you make that decision all by yourself.
When you choose to do that, then he is your personal Lord. Emphasis on ''personal''.

JeSoul:

I agree. My beef is not with the altar call in itself David, it's moreso with the way it is prevalently practiced: calling the sinners down, playing the emotional music, telling them to repeat a prayer, and then declaring them saved - that's what I mean by "altar call" and that's my gripe lays brotha.

Dearie you would be surprised at the number of people that actualy get saved that way. Of course it doesn't go down that way for all, but it happens.

It all depends on the heart of whoever's praying. If one prays that prayer and really means it with a truly contrite heart and broken spirit,why won't Jesus answer?

Never heard that labelled as ''the sinner's prayer'' though. Funny grin
Re: The Unbiblical Practice Of Altar Calls & The Sinner's Prayer by SisiJinx: 8:59pm On Dec 04, 2008
Interesting Topic!

Just a one teeny tiny correction, they don't say Make Jesus your Lord and Persona savior, they say TAKE. . . Do You TAKE Jesus as your Lord and Personal Savior.
Re: The Unbiblical Practice Of Altar Calls & The Sinner's Prayer by DavidDylan(m): 9:00pm On Dec 04, 2008
Cristalz:

Jesus is already Lord yeah,but he isn't Lord over an individual's life until that individual makes a conscious decision to that effect. Jesus doesn't force anybody to put him first in their lives. . .you make that decision all by yourself.
When you choose to do that, then he is your personal Lord. Emphasis on ''personal''.

thank you. Saved me having to explain all over again. JeSoul, my point in a nutshell.

JeSoul:

You have a point. There's one thing i noticed, create an atmosphere of fear (of hell, the devil and the afterlife), play some emotional music and you are bound to get emotional reactions from the congregation (popularly mistaken as genuine conviction).

The idea that saying a 5 sec sinners prayer automatically makes a person saved is false. You dont get saved until YOU as an individual:

1. Realise that you have sinned and wronged God
2. Realised that God has provided a way of escape through His death on the cross
3. Are willing to, of your own accord not the prompting of your pastor, decided to give your life to Jesus.

I usually remember the conversion of the Eunuch by Philip. It was he who was reading the book of Isaiah, it was he who asked the questions about salvation . . . Philip's role was not to "lead him in prayer" but to guide him through a journey of discovering salvation.
Note that Philip must have seen the body of water but it took the insistence of the eunuch before Philip would baptise him.

Conversion is a heart thing, your pastor cannot do it for you neither can merely repeating a generic prayer save you.
Re: The Unbiblical Practice Of Altar Calls & The Sinner's Prayer by JeSoul(f): 9:46pm On Dec 04, 2008
Cristalz:

I see what you & David mean and it makes sense. My intent on raising that point in the first place is that when the disciples/apostles were evangelising, putting it in that form and structure was not used even once.

Dearie you would be surprised at the number of people that actualy get saved that way. Of course it doesn't go down that way for all, but it happens.
smiley and I acknowledged that in the original post:
JeSoul:

Now are some genuinely saved through these methods? absolutely yes, because God can bring about good from our wrongs. But does this justify the wrong? absolutely not.
Re: The Unbiblical Practice Of Altar Calls & The Sinner's Prayer by JeSoul(f): 9:57pm On Dec 04, 2008
Sisi Jinx:

Interesting Topic!

Just a one teeny tiny correction, they don't say Make Jesus your Lord and Persona savior, they say TAKE. . . Do You TAKE Jesus as your Lord and Personal Savior.
  lol . . . I haven't heard that one yet.

DavidDylan:

thank you. Saved me having to explain all over again. JeSoul, my point in a nutshell.
   Point taken sir  wink.

You have a point. There's one thing i noticed, create an atmosphere of fear (of hell, the devil and the afterlife), play some emotional music and you are bound to get emotional reactions from the congregation (popularly mistaken as genuine conviction).

The idea that saying a 5 sec sinners prayer automatically makes a person saved is false.
   Exactly!

I usually remember the conversion of the Eunuch by Philip. It was he who was reading the book of Isaiah, it was he who asked the questions about salvation . . . Philip's role was not to "lead him in prayer" but to guide him through a journey of discovering salvation.
Note that Philip must have seen the body of water but it took the insistence of the eunuch before Philip would baptise him.
   Right on the money. Also remember the Jailer in Phillipi, he asked of his own accord "sirs what must I do to be saved". The problem is we're trying to do the convicting work of the Holyspirit, instead of simply letting the power of the gospel take a hold of the person and bring them to their knees.

Conversion is a heart thing, your pastor cannot do it for you neither can merely repeating a generic prayer save you.

Amen. The thing is the new 'convert' does not know this fact! and they leave with this false assurance of salvation. Just last sat I was speaking with a brotha was spoke of how he believed that one one point. I shudder at how many people more are sitting in churches with that same belief.
Re: The Unbiblical Practice Of Altar Calls & The Sinner's Prayer by KunleOshob(m): 10:38am On Dec 05, 2008
@Jesoul
Intersting topic, i am suprised it is coming from you though, cos you have always been very defensive of church doctrines in the past whether right or wrong.

@At all
As i have always advocated on this forum we need to re-examine the practise of our christian faith. The church as really drifted from the original practise of christianity practised in the early church established by the apostles for more on this you can check out my submissions onthis thread: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-148850.0.html
Re: The Unbiblical Practice Of Altar Calls & The Sinner's Prayer by Carlosein(m): 2:50pm On Dec 05, 2008
DavidDylan:

search and nowhere will you see anything like making Jesus your "personal Lord and Savior". We don't make Jesus Lord, He IS Lord. - It is true that Jesus IS Lord but it is our conscious duty to make the personal decision to accept him as Lord over our lives. So in that sense i don't see anything wrong with "making Jesus your personal Lord and Saviour.

Christ is the Saviour of the world but until you come to Him in Godly repentance, His death on the cross is of no value to you.

- Is there anything wrong with an "altar-call"? I say not . . . Because the bible does not expressly say that Peter called for those who wanted to be saved to come forward does not mean what we do now is wrong.

david, i find the above rather amusing.

one question: is it possible for anything not expressly written in the bible to be correct?
Re: The Unbiblical Practice Of Altar Calls & The Sinner's Prayer by JeSoul(f): 6:01pm On Dec 05, 2008
KunleOshob:

@Jesoul
Intersting topic, i am suprised it is coming from you though, because[b] you have always been very defensive of church doctrines in the past whether right or wrong[/b].
lol . . . I'm in a good mood today kunle, so I'll overlook this cheap shot which if begged for evidence would fall flat. I've always been defensive of the bible, to that I'll plead guilty.

@At all
As i have always advocated on this forum we need to re-examine the practise of our christian faith.
And re-examination is not even something to be done once in a while, it should be a daily thing. Not just for the church as a whole, but moreso each christian on an individual basis, becos afterall, we'll only have to answer for ourselves.
Re: The Unbiblical Practice Of Altar Calls & The Sinner's Prayer by DavidDylan(m): 9:45pm On Dec 05, 2008
Carlosein:

david, i find the above rather amusing.

one question: is it possible for anything not expressly written in the bible to be correct?

your "question" is based on the fact that your own false faith is largely dependent on extra-biblical heresy.

The Berean christians searched where to determine whether Paul's doctrines where true? You guessed it - the scriptures!
Re: The Unbiblical Practice Of Altar Calls & The Sinner's Prayer by Image123(m): 1:34am On Dec 07, 2008
@JeSoul
Philippians1v18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretense, or in truth, CHRIST IS PREACHED; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.
Sister,you see from this scripture ve more important thing and the mind of Christ. As you've said,many have genuinely given their lives to Christ through this method and many will still do. Its not every altar call/sinners' prayer that lasts for just 10secs. And the sinner's confessio and declaration of assurance of salvation is a good step in the right direction if followed through. I think though that one of the aim of preachers who make altar calls is for followup and further help.Great people of God have being saved through this medium. A few that I recall now include Billy Graham(famous evangelist), Jack Coe, Kathryn Kuhlman(the woman who believed in miracles) and A,A Allen. I don't know the salvation testimony of nigerian preachers but I think I read in a mag sometime last year that W.F Kumuyi(Deeper Life pastor) have his life to Christ through an altar call. I'll reconfirm that though,but as mentioned,some do genuinely get saved and are mightily used of God.Its not a worry
Re: The Unbiblical Practice Of Altar Calls & The Sinner's Prayer by KunleOshob(m): 11:57am On Dec 10, 2008
Image123:

@JeSoul
Philippians1v18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretense, or in truth, CHRIST IS PREACHED; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.
Sister,you see from this scripture ve more important thing and the mind of Christ. As you've said,many have genuinely given their lives to Christ through this method and many will still do. Its not every altar call/sinners' prayer that lasts for just 10secs. And the sinner's confessio and declaration of assurance of salvation is a good step in the right direction if followed through. I think though that one of the aim of preachers who make altar calls is for followup and further help.Great people of God have being saved through this medium. A few that I recall now include[b] Billy Graham(famous evangelist), Jack Coe, Kathryn Kuhlman(the woman who believed in miracles) and A,A Allen.[/b] I don't know the salvation testimony of nigerian preachers but I think I read in a mag sometime last year that W.F Kumuyi(Deeper Life pastor) have his life to Christ through an altar call. I'll reconfirm that though,but as mentioned,some do genuinely get saved and are mightily used of God.Its not a worry

How do you know for sure that these people you named have been truly saved  Are you the one that saved them undecided
Re: The Unbiblical Practice Of Altar Calls & The Sinner's Prayer by trinigirl1(f): 2:49pm On Dec 10, 2008
Yes yes yes yes yes! Thank you Je Soul. This has been a belief of mine for some time now. Every knows how anti-religion I am and always translates it to me being anti-God. However there are so many things the "church" has made up for themselves in order to trap people into church membership and manipulate them into what they say salvation and the path the heaven (including tithing) that are absolute rubbish.

I totally agree that this practice is unscriptural when the bible simply states believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you'll be saved, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

KUDOS!
Re: The Unbiblical Practice Of Altar Calls & The Sinner's Prayer by JeSoul(f): 5:05pm On Dec 10, 2008
Trini girl, thanks!  kiss

Image,
I agreed as much that some good does come out of altar calls because God in His infinite mercies can use anything to save a person. [b]BUT does the end justify the unscriptural means?  God wants us to be in step with His word at all times, not deviating when whenever we like and then persisting in that deviation because some good comes out of it. [/b]No.

God would rather have us walk at all times according to His word, and in that He will use us to draw men - through His Holy Spirit - to Himself, and not thru our carnal methods that produce half-baked, lukewarm converts whom God has promised to spit out His mouth.
Re: The Unbiblical Practice Of Altar Calls & The Sinner's Prayer by Carlosein(m): 11:28am On Dec 11, 2008
DavidDylan:

your "question" is based on the fact that your own false faith is largely dependent on extra-biblical heresy.

The Berean christians searched where to determine whether Paul's doctrines where true? You guessed it - the scriptures!

dearest david, i know what my question is based on. i'd just like for you to answer it please.

in case you have forgotten your point, here it is again:

DavidDylan:

search and nowhere will you see anything like making Jesus your "personal Lord and Savior". We don't make Jesus Lord, He IS Lord. - It is true that Jesus IS Lord but it is our conscious duty to make the personal decision to accept him as Lord over our lives. So in that sense i don't see anything wrong with "making Jesus your personal Lord and Saviour.

(1) (Reply)

I Used Music To Spread The Gospel – Patty Obasi / The Kingdom Of Heaven / 2014 Prophecies By Prophet Olaye George

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.