Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,194 members, 7,839,065 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

Spam On Webmaster Section Vs Spam On Programming Section - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Spam On Webmaster Section Vs Spam On Programming Section (627 Views)

An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Sack The Spam Mod Before He Ruins Your Forum / The Programming Section Of Nl Is Now Bloody Worthless / Nairaland Is Falling (Webmaster Section) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Spam On Webmaster Section Vs Spam On Programming Section by yawatide(f): 12:44pm On Dec 05, 2008
Why oh why does it seem like there is little or no spam in the programmer section as opposed to this section where of recent, it seems like we are getting tons?

I have noticed this for a while but it has finally reached critical mass for me.

Possible answers are appreciated.
Re: Spam On Webmaster Section Vs Spam On Programming Section by DualCore1: 12:49pm On Dec 05, 2008
check who mods the programming section wink tongue
Re: Spam On Webmaster Section Vs Spam On Programming Section by yawatide(f): 12:51pm On Dec 05, 2008
hhmmmmm, are you implying that you do a better job of moderating than our one and only amanyanabo of "anambara", Omnipotens? tongue tongue cool tongue tongue
Re: Spam On Webmaster Section Vs Spam On Programming Section by pie1ect(m): 12:55pm On Dec 05, 2008
shocked I was beginning to think I was the only one noticing it. It's such a turn-off when you are looking for a credible post to read/reply to, you have to sift through these extremely offensive titles. Seun should do something about this, isn't there like a way to implement CAPTCHA in SMF, or can't you deploy ASKIMET? I really don't think implement CAPTCHA for new topics will be that difficult.

Glad I got that off my chest.

Yawa. . How you dey?

I finally launched my web design blog yesterday - [WebPro. Please, check it out and tell me what you think - I'm starting a new thread which I will be updating.

Thanks.
Re: Spam On Webmaster Section Vs Spam On Programming Section by DualCore1: 12:58pm On Dec 05, 2008
i didnt say that o, abeg o. Sir Omni, na beg i beg o, yawa wan cause yawa for me. lol

na, actually those scams are bosted by bots mostly owned by russians. The owners of the bots just set a particular target for the forum bombing, its so unfortunate this section is set as a prime target. Programminf section isnt a target.
The mostly hit sections are Webmasters and Romance.
Re: Spam On Webmaster Section Vs Spam On Programming Section by yawatide(f): 2:07pm On Dec 05, 2008
pie1,

I like the layout and in particular, I like your blog roll. I will reserve more of my comments for when you launch a separate post for this wink

It is something I have always wanted to do but have lacked the time. Good job and good luck!
Re: Spam On Webmaster Section Vs Spam On Programming Section by kehers(m): 2:22pm On Dec 05, 2008
I dont see captcha as a solution here. Dat is only effective in cases in which d bots posts without member registeratn - which i doubt is d case here. Catchas wil only work if members as well av to use it wen posting/replying any thread - an idea which im not down wit.
Re: Spam On Webmaster Section Vs Spam On Programming Section by DualCore1: 2:40pm On Dec 05, 2008
imagine having to "captcharize" every post. the tot of captcha before post go just discourage posting.

I've got this problem on me forum but mine is mild. The solution (which i havnt had time to implement) is to get a bot question mod or a maths puzzle mod, so users do a little of brain work during registration. Some bots are smart enough to scale through tht but just a few bot herders have them. This solution will help in keeping the bots away, it'll also help in keeping some silly humans away too, lol.
Re: Spam On Webmaster Section Vs Spam On Programming Section by pie1ect(m): 3:01pm On Dec 05, 2008
Implementing CAPTCHA during registration should be neccesary. At least, that'll reduce the number of bot registrations. The implementing a maths puzzle for New topics - I think it may help reduce bot posts even more. Of course, they can also reply to existing posts.

This SPAM problem is one of the vices with forum software. Seun needs to do something about it, though.

@Yawa
Thanks. I already started the thread. You can comment away now.
Re: Spam On Webmaster Section Vs Spam On Programming Section by Seun(m): 3:06pm On Dec 07, 2008
Currently, the Programmer section has more spam than the Webmaster section. How about that? wink
Re: Spam On Webmaster Section Vs Spam On Programming Section by niyyie(m): 3:37pm On Dec 07, 2008
The discussion should not be trivialized into which section has more spam but real solutions must be implemented. The spam threads are a big turn-off and keeps me away from Nairaland.
Re: Spam On Webmaster Section Vs Spam On Programming Section by OmniPotens(m): 4:21pm On Dec 07, 2008
@niyyie

There is no need running away from Nairaland. Spam thing is not what you can easily avoid. You just have to always be online to check those filthy trash the post then get rid of them. You can always stay around here as there are not so many of them though from time to time, you might come by one or two but before you know it, off it goes. wink
Re: Spam On Webmaster Section Vs Spam On Programming Section by Seun(m): 5:14pm On Dec 07, 2008
@niyyie: Relax, the problem is under control.   The moderator is dong his job.

(1)

Happy New Year To U All / Help Me Out! / Yahoo For Real On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.