Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,208 members, 7,836,015 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:15 PM

Babysitters Or Housemaids? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Babysitters Or Housemaids? (1593 Views)

Career Women Battle Housemaids’ Sexcapades, Randy Husbands / 16 Frighteningly Creepy Tins Kids Hv Said 2 Dia Babysitters (in Yankee O'course) / Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Babysitters Or Housemaids? by CoCoLav(f): 7:18am On Dec 13, 2014
If there was a TRUSTED babysitters agency in Nigeria will you opt for babysitters or housemaids?

For those who don't know who babysitters are, they are young girls (mostly college or high school students) between the ages of 18-23 who take care of your kids for a number of hours depending on how long you will be out.

So which will you opt for and why? please I need your opinions.

Please also note the emphasis on TRUSTED
Re: Babysitters Or Housemaids? by Gelco(f): 8:28am On Dec 13, 2014
Only if there's absolutely no other option i.e nobody to look after my baby and I really need to leave her behind, knowing it's not for the whole day. Other than that I don't think I can leave my baby with a babysitter "trusted", "verified" or not.

You're taking a market survey?
Re: Babysitters Or Housemaids? by CoCoLav(f): 8:37am On Dec 13, 2014
Gelco:
Only if there's absolutely no other option i.e nobody to look after my baby and I really need to leave her behind, knowing it's not for the whole day. Other than that I don't think I can leave my baby with a babysitter "trusted", "verified" or not.

Yes I'm talking of where relatives are unavailable and you probably have an impromptu meeting and the daycare is even closed.
Re: Babysitters Or Housemaids? by Nobody: 8:41am On Dec 13, 2014
Nigerians are one of the most selfish people on earth.

Get a babysitter whose job is to take care of anything concerning the baby. <Like feeding, nap, sleep,change of clothe and provide what is required for her to do the job.
Here, you find the househelps take care of baby, go to market, wash plates, grind beans for moi moi, laundry etc, only one person. And you dont think the person is supposed to have a breaking point? Which will be later transferred to the child.

If you want a baby sitter, get one and let her job be on just the baby. You want a housemaid, get one and let her job be taking care of the house.

Some stay at home mum sacrifice a lot to achieve these but they know the kids are theirs, not subjecting a total stranger to 18hrs hardship all in the name of employment.

I hope im still on topic

3 Likes

Re: Babysitters Or Housemaids? by Nobody: 8:43am On Dec 13, 2014
CoCoLav:

Yes I'm talking of where relatives are unavailable and you probably have an impromptu meeting and the daycare is even closed.

if relatives are not around, and the day care is closed, i can at least ask my neighbours depending on how long i will take. If all fails, i will have to cancel the impromptu meeting and take a fix date.
Re: Babysitters Or Housemaids? by CoCoLav(f): 8:52am On Dec 13, 2014
Chillisauce:
Nigerians are one of the most selfish people on earth.

Get a babysitter whose job is to take care of anything concerning the baby. <Like feeding, nap, sleep,change of clothe and provide what is required for her to do the job.
Here, you find the househelps take care of baby, go to market, wash plates, grind beans for moi moi, laundry etc, only one person. And you dont think the person is supposed to have a breaking point? Which will be later transferred to the child.

If you want a baby sitter, get one and let her job be on just the baby. You want a housemaid, get one and let her job be taking care of the house.

Some stay at home mum sacrifice a lot to achieve these but they know the kids are theirs, not subjecting a total stranger to 18hrs hardship all in the name of employment.

I hope im still on topic

Yes you are still on topic. What most women want is someone to assist with the housework but because the husbands won't agree they now change it to 'I need someone to take care of the kids'.

I know a couple whose husband was against bringing a housemaid but when the wife started bringing up the issue of a needing a help to take care of the kid he accepted but on the condition that she never cooks his food.

I think if we had babysitters, it would reduce the conflict between couples on the housemaid issue.
Re: Babysitters Or Housemaids? by CoCoLav(f): 8:54am On Dec 13, 2014
Chillisauce:

if relatives are not around, and the day care is closed, i can at least ask my neighbours depending on how long i will take. If all fails, i will have to cancel the impromptu meeting and take a fix date.

Not everyone can ask their neighbours. Some people are very sensitive about placing their burdens on others or inconveniencing people no matter how close they are

3 Likes

Re: Babysitters Or Housemaids? by Nobody: 9:05am On Dec 13, 2014
CoCoLav:

Yes you are still on topic. What most women want is someone to assist with the housework but because the husbands won't agree they now change it to 'I need someone to take care of the kids'.
I know a couple whose husband was against bringing a housemaid but when the wife started bringing up the issue of a needing a help to take care of the kid he accepted but on the condition that she never cooks his food.
I think if we had babysitters, it would reduce the conflict between couples on the housemaid issue.

The truth remains people need help. I understand what you saying but what i dont understand is when someone expects one to handle 4 to 5 kids, cook, wash (no washing machine), feed, teach and wake up most night to tend for the ones that sleep 3 to 4 hrs asking for food, or change of diaper. And the man just sit and pretend as if nothing is happening. This is wickedness!

ANd na this kin couple dey want 4-8kids.
If you think the work is too stressful for you, pls shout! shout oh!! ask for help before you transfer aggression to innocent children. Applicable to husbands, wives and househelps
Re: Babysitters Or Housemaids? by Anaskie(m): 9:13am On Dec 13, 2014
I'd opt for none.

If my wife is too busy to take care of the baby and none of my relatives are around to help out, I'd simply drop the baby at a creche and pick him up on my way back from work.

They usually have dedicated babysitters who feed, bathe and change the dirty diapers. They even have a mini-clinic manned by trained nurses in case of an emergency. Furthermore, my baby will have a chance to 'socialize' with other babies.

Its a win-win situation. We get to continue with our busy schedules while our baby still gets taken care of.
Far better than letting a total stranger come into my house in the name of taking care of my baby.
The stories I've been hearing recently of housemaids/babysitters kidnapping and maltreating little children are scaring me silly.
Re: Babysitters Or Housemaids? by stinggy(m): 9:28am On Dec 13, 2014
If possible, none. But if I must pick one to let peace reign, then it would rather be a baby-sitter. Though wifey might raise objections due to the average age of baby-sitters as most of them are mature ladies and I can't be very sure of what temptation might lead a man to smiley but it's a No-No for househelps, I can't stand how wives threat those young girls badly.
Everyone has a breaking point and surely the revenge will be on your loved children.
Re: Babysitters Or Housemaids? by CoCoLav(f): 10:22am On Dec 13, 2014
Anaskie:
I'd opt for none.

If my wife is too busy to take care of the baby and none of my relatives are around to help out, I'd simply drop the baby at a creche and pick him up on my way back from work.

They usually have dedicated babysitters who feed, bathe and change the dirty diapers. They even have a mini-clinic manned by trained nurses in case of an emergency. Furthermore, my baby will have a chance to 'socialize' with other babies.

Its a win-win situation. We get to continue with our busy schedule and our baby still gets taken care of.
Far better than letting a total stranger come into my house in the name of taking care of my baby. The stories I've been hearing recently of housemaids/babysitters kidnapping and maltreating little children is scaring me silly.

it would amaze you what most creches do. Sometimes the number of staff to kids is 1 to 8 and I'm sure you know kids need full attention because you never can tell why they are crying.

I understand the problem of security as it is hard to let a stranger into your home and leave her unsupervised but what if you have a CCTV? I think I will feel better knowing my kid is at home.

Besides there's gonna be a very high level of profiling.
Re: Babysitters Or Housemaids? by CoCoLav(f): 10:24am On Dec 13, 2014
stinggy:
If possible, none. But if I must pick one to let peace reign, then it would rather be a baby-sitter. Though wifey might raise objections due to the average age of baby-sitters as most of them are mature ladies and I can't be very sure of what temptation might lead a man to smiley but it's a No-No for househelps, I can't stand how wives threat those young girls badly.
Everyone has a breaking point and surely the revenge will be on your loved children.

No. most babysitters are young girls who just need some spare cash to assist their education. Like university girls that take up ushering jobs
Re: Babysitters Or Housemaids? by stinggy(m): 1:23pm On Dec 13, 2014
CoCoLav:

No. most babysitters are young girls who just need some spare cash to assist their education. Like university girls that take up ushering jobs

Yea, uni girls are the most tempting na, and that's where the risk is
Re: Babysitters Or Housemaids? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Dec 13, 2014
I will get a househelp, btw ages of 10 and 17, a school girl/boy. .. can always drop my kid at a creche but will need some assistance at home as regards washing plates, running small errands, doing some cleanings and stuffs..

Have always had house helps in our house right from growing up, most of them get acquainted that they refuse even going for xmas to their villa.Their parents always come visiting....Currently, we have two, one is in ss3 and preparing for Jamb...

Once a househelp comes and he/she is stubborn or has attitude, my mum takes him/her home the nxt week, no time for stories about her maltreating someone else's kid...
Re: Babysitters Or Housemaids? by CoCoLav(f): 9:06pm On Dec 13, 2014
MarvellousGod:
I will get a househelp, btw ages of 10 and 17, a school girl/boy. .. can always drop my kid at a creche but will need some assistance at home as regards washing plates, running small errands, doing some cleanings and stuffs..

Have always had house helps in our house right from growing up, most of them get acquainted that they refuse even going for xmas to their villa.Their parents always come visiting....Currently, we have two, one is in ss3 and preparing for Jamb...

Once a househelp comes and he/she is stubborn or has attitude, my mum takes him/her home the nxt week, no time for stories about her maltreating someone else's kid...

A house help of age 10? What happens to the child's education? what can that child do at home?

I once home tutored a kid whose help was the same age as he was...10 years. The girl would be washing clothes even I couldn't wash and was always looking unkempt and wearing the same clothes everyday. This kid would be at home every day doing chores while the boy I was tutoring will go to school. Its unfair and I don't support it. I almost called social services.
Re: Babysitters Or Housemaids? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Dec 13, 2014
CoCoLav:

A house help of age 10? What happens to the child's education? what can that child do at home?

I once home tutored a kid whose help was the same age as he was...10 years. The girl would be washing clothes even I couldn't wash and was always looking unkempt and wearing the same clothes everyday. This kid would be at home every day doing chores while the boy I was tutoring will go to school. Its unfair and I don't support it. I almost called social services.
I don't get your point, So a househelp doesn't go to school? ? Maybe your own definition of a househelp is diff from mine..undecided By my saying I will be keeping my kid at a creche, you should deduce whether my help will attend school or not..

A househelp can't wash my clothes etc, just need someone that can run small errands and stuffs, give me this, give me that, just those minor stuffs.....Must I treat my help the way your client treated hers? undecided undecided... btw, you should have called social service. ..

I will even prefer a relative..If I say I wouldn't need a househelp, then I'm simply lying to myself....
Re: Babysitters Or Housemaids? by CoCoLav(f): 10:53pm On Dec 13, 2014
MarvellousGod:
I don't get your point, So a househelp doesn't go to school? ? Maybe your own definition of a househelp is diff from mine..undecided By my saying I will be keeping my kid at a creche, you should deduce whether my help will attend school or not..

A househelp can't wash my clothes etc, just need someone that can run small errands and stuffs, give me this, give me that, just those minor stuffs.....Must I treat my help the way your client treated hers? undecided undecided... btw, you should have called social service. ..

I will even prefer a relative..If I say I wouldn't need a househelp, then I'm simply lying to myself....

No matter how much I look at it, I still think 10 years is too young for a house help.
Re: Babysitters Or Housemaids? by Nobody: 8:11am On Dec 14, 2014
Housemaids are better and cheaper than babysitters. Dats wat I think sha
Re: Babysitters Or Housemaids? by sexybash(f): 12:27pm On Dec 14, 2014
Most people like it cheap
I have A help that is 20 years old
Take a mature househelp but most of you are to afraid of your husband humping on them
And you go for underage which always results to kidnapping and chocking

(1) (Reply)

20 Things Must Do At Age 30 To Benefit Your Life At 50 / Help, My Step Dad Will Beat My Mum To Death! / Problems With Father And Son relationship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.