Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,882 members, 7,817,597 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:14 PM

It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri (11680 Views)

Masai Ujiri Win NBA Executive Of The Year / Nigeria's Masai Ujiri Of The Denver Nuggets Collects NBA Executive Of The Year. / Why Is It Great Britain At The Olympics But England At Other World Events? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by TheRealMrStan(m): 1:41pm On Dec 13, 2014

The name of Hakeem Olajuwon readily comes to mind whenever basketball is being discussed in the United States of America and beyond, especially after his successes with the Houston Rockets. But beyond 'The Dream’, another Nigerian - Masai Ujiri, has broken the barriers and rose to the position of the General Manager of NBA Club - Toronto Raptors, the first by an African. In 2012-13 season, he was voted the NBA Executive of the Year. Ujiri was in the country to organise his yearly Giant of Africa/Nestle Top-50 Basketball Camp for boys and girls, which has been on now for over a decade. In an interview with Kunle Adewale he gave an insight into some of the achievements of the camp so far

After ending a professional playing career in 2002, Masai Ujiri worked as a youth coach in Nigeria. But it was during a National Basketball Association summer league game in Boston that he met David Thorpe, who introduced him to college coaches. He started accompanying young Nigerian players to draft tryout in Orlando when he impressed scouting director, Gary Brokaw, who then introduced him to Coach Doc Rivers and General Manager, John Gabriel.
He then became an unpaid scout for Orlando Margic paying his own way when he had to and sharing rooms with scouts or players when he could.
Later Jeff Weltman, then a young Nuggets executive, introduced him to Nuggets General Manager, Kiki Vandewehe, who then hired Ujiri on salary as an international scout.
“Denver Nuggets took a chance on me and it thus came a time when this opportunity was so big and it put me on some form of a stage, where I can affect basketball a little bit more, especially on the continent here. I had a great run in Nuggets; they gave me an unbelievable opportunity to be a first time General Manager,” he recalled.
After four seasons with the Nuggets, he was hired by Bryan Colangelo of the Toronto Raptors as their director of global scouting. Ujiri became the Raptors’ assistant general manager in 2008, and returned to the Nuggets in 2010, when he accepted his position as executive vice president in charge of basketball operations.
On May 31, last year, Ujiri signed a five-year, $15 million deal to become general manager of the Toronto Raptors: “It was a difficult decision leaving Denver Nuggets, but because I had worked in Toronto, I’m familiar with the organisation, ownership and I was happy to go back,” he said.

Though his pet Africa Top 50 basketball is now in its 12th year, for him every home-coming is always great: “To come and be part of the camp we started several years ago is always great. The Top Fifty and Giant of Africa Camp mean a lot to me. It’s something that will always be close to my heart and I’ll always be close to home through this. I’d like to thank Nestle Milo for being a strong supper of the project and also Nike for their continuous support. It’s not only with what they have provided but the sustenance over the years; it’s always good to have sponsors that will continue to stay by you. Other than that, I’m glad to be here and we hope to always help these kids,” the first African-born general manager for an American major league sports team emphasized.
Continuing he said: “Obtaining a camp and giving young kids opportunity to better their lives gives me pleasure and I really want to thank all the coaches, especially the Proprietor of Dodan Warriors Basketball Club, Colonel Sam Amedu (rtd) and all the people that have really helped in keeping this camp going. I think the ground is the most special thing in the camp before finding and selecting players. The bottom line of this camp is for the kids to go to America but I have always told the kids that if they are good enough, they will end up doing something good with their life. I just wanted to create an opportunity for kids and now that I am back with a better opportunity. I think we are going to broaden some of the things that we can do and one of the things we are going to really look at is developing out-door courts and trying to make an impact with the facilities for these kids to play. That’s what on our minds and we are going to discuss this
extensively obviously with my guys on ground. With Amedu and the coaches, we’ll try and put our resources together to see what we can do.”

On how Nigerian players can get into NBA through his influence and camp, the NBA Executive of the Year said: “I don’t think there has been any young Nigerian basketball player that is really good that hasn’t left the country. If you are good enough, you will be found. However, our emphasis is on education and being prepared for what life is all about, that is what we are trying to teach these kids. The NBA has only 400 players and only a few players are going to make it. We are proud that a lot of them have gone through universities in the US. I have been a big influence on these kids in a big way, showing them that it is not only through basketball that they can make it. One can also do other things outside basketball using the game as a tool and basketball can create that avenue just like what I’m doing now. We stressed the need for the participants to take their education seriously, as it was not possible for all of them to be drafted into the NBA league even if they play at colleges in the US."
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/masai-ujiri-great-being-first-african-born-manager-of-an-nba-club/196537/

5 Likes

Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by gen2briz(m): 1:43pm On Dec 13, 2014
Summary pls
Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by paleo(m): 1:43pm On Dec 13, 2014
Wow. I am proud of him. Sire, keep making Nigeria proud.
Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by rhythyson: 1:43pm On Dec 13, 2014
congrat man
FTC?
Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by sukkot: 1:43pm On Dec 13, 2014
cool i guess
Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by dre11(m): 1:44pm On Dec 13, 2014
This is an old story

He has being there since the beginning of last year as the general manager and all web site were all buzzing about his appointment being a Nigerian.....

The moral of the story is that Nigerian are breaking all bariers to make it to the top

1 Like

Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by MillionDollars: 1:44pm On Dec 13, 2014
OOOOOKKKKKKK O
Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by Nobody: 1:44pm On Dec 13, 2014
Zarian's doin well in basketball!

1 Like

Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by Hardeywerlay(m): 1:44pm On Dec 13, 2014
Nice One
Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by Odinaka00(m): 1:44pm On Dec 13, 2014
We are just too much, I'm so proud to be a nigerian, Long live Buhari, Sai Buhari

Mana GEJ till 2019
Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by EphraimSpencer(m): 1:45pm On Dec 13, 2014
Where was his girl when he started

Kill me not
Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by mimicious(f): 1:45pm On Dec 13, 2014
kuddos!!!
Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by Dreyl(m): 1:46pm On Dec 13, 2014
Congrat bro!
Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by free2ryhme: 1:47pm On Dec 13, 2014
na wa oooo
not again
Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by PerfumeRepublik: 1:48pm On Dec 13, 2014
Cool Story....
Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by dre11(m): 1:48pm On Dec 13, 2014
I wish the guy

Best of luck in his managerial position because it's not easy being an African males it more challenging self
Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by Nobody: 1:48pm On Dec 13, 2014
abeg which ethnic group is he from? Make I know before I claim am.
Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by adrainuche(m): 1:49pm On Dec 13, 2014
Pace Setters
Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by Babaneh(m): 1:49pm On Dec 13, 2014
kudos to him cos its not easy to be the first in anything.... even corruption grin
Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by phransix147(m): 1:49pm On Dec 13, 2014
Him try for him hustle oh...
Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by momodub: 1:50pm On Dec 13, 2014
Nice one I love NBA
Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by zopaks: 1:50pm On Dec 13, 2014
this is old news na...since 2013
Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by Maczeelly(m): 1:51pm On Dec 13, 2014
Abi nah..............
Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by Newkidoo(m): 1:52pm On Dec 13, 2014
undecided undecided undecided cool..
Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by dre11(m): 1:52pm On Dec 13, 2014
zopaks:
this is old news na...since 2013

Yes oooo
Since the beginning of last year
Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by Emmyginger(m): 1:53pm On Dec 13, 2014
he would av been the gm of san antoniospurs,we av a good gm anyway
raptors aint bad sha
Re: It's Great Being First African To Manage NBA Club - Nigerian, Masai Ujiri by slap1(m): 1:53pm On Dec 13, 2014
Nice suit

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rangers Vs ASCK: Ugwuanyi Gives Rangers' Fans Free Entry Into The Stadium / Get More Than You Are Looking For: 4 Odds/day / Abuja International Marathon: Runners Throng Abuja International Expo For Kits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.