Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,474 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:47 PM

Natural Hair Care - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Natural Hair Care (3174 Views)

My Natural Hair Wants To Kill Me Before My Time / Men’s Hair Care: Tips For Grooming Hair. / Dr Miracle Hair Care Products (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Natural Hair Care by thediva(f): 5:52pm On Dec 14, 2014
The natural hair trend has been around for quite a while now, but in recent times, it seems like everybody and their sister is jumping on the bandwagon. You've probably wondered why anyone would want to keep their hair in a difficult-to-manage state of wiry, semi-unkempt, trauma inducing dryness. Really, what exactly are the benefits of ‘’going natural’’? For those of us who have asked ourselves (or others) that question, this thread is for you. Sit back, and enjoy. You never know, after this, you just may join us!
Growth
A lot of the time, many ladies have experienced hair growth only up till a certain point. (Chin length, shoulder length, etc.) But after going natural, the hair gains a life of its own and reaches lengths that they could only dream about before (myself included).
Fullness
Going natural means an end to lifeless, thin, limp hair. Chemical straightening of hair results in breaking the bonds in our hair which makes it lose its curls, and many times, its thickness too. My hair is fine in texture, and relaxers just made it worse. I would look like the proverbial ‘’iya eko’’ after retouching, and I just ended up covering it with weaves. Since going natural, my hair is full and strong, and I’m even getting compliments about it.
General health
Lauren Wise of Boston University’s Slone Epidemiology Center led a research team that found that that hair relaxer use could increase the risks of uterine leiomyomata commonly known as fibroids because of the exposure to chemicals in the relaxer from lesions caused by burns to the scalp.
Uniqueness
Because DNA is unique to each individual, our hair is also distinctive, meaning that your hair is an exclusive! No two people can have the same type of hair, not even twins, and this allows you to rock styles and trends in a way that is uniquely yours. We can all agree that hair is a major identifier for us ladies, so imagine the possibilities…
It’s more affordable
I can hear some people shouting out at this point, but trust me, I’m right. Black hair care is a $9 billion industry while 30 percent to 34 percent of all hair products in the United States are purchased by Black women, 9try adding up the amount you’ve spent on weaves, extensions, relaxer, salon fees, etc. in the last year!). I know that natural girls buy a lot of products for their hair, but this is simply because a lot of us are in the process of trying out things that work (or not). When you settle into a hair routine, you’ll find that most of your hair treatments can be done with a lot of stuff in your fridge/kitchen cabinets within a few minutes, and by yourself, no less!
Versatility
Natural hair has so many styling options, it’s ridiculous. You can actually wear a different style every day. From an afro, to straw curls, to straightened, to protective styles like weaving, braids and dreadlocks, your choices are endless.
Black and proud!
Our natural hair is uniquely African, the afro has been a symbol of Black Empowerment for a long time, and it represents our beauty and strength as a people. Many view going natural as an awakening or an acceptance of the natural beauty of Black women and a rejection of the European concepts of what has been regarded as “beauty” for far too long. The natural hair movement is helping a lot of Black women confirm that we are beautiful just the way we are.
I've been on my natural journey for about 2 years now, (one year transitioning and one year fully natural), and I love learning and teaching about how to get the best out of my tresses. Please feel free to ask questions about natural hair, or just post your own story to help others. Thanks.
Image Credits
naturalcosmopolitan.com
napturallycurly.com
Se more at http://naturalcosmopolitan.com/2014/10/why-go-natural/#sthash.LcZXVRPZ.dpbs

Re: Natural Hair Care by dapsoneh: 5:53pm On Dec 14, 2014
K

1 Like

Re: Natural Hair Care by golor(m): 6:07pm On Dec 14, 2014
Hmmmmm
Re: Natural Hair Care by Empressgifted(f): 9:42am On Dec 15, 2014
#naturalalltheway!
Only Brave Women Can Go Natural.
Natural Women, Unique Women!
Re: Natural Hair Care by Mprex(f): 5:05pm On Dec 15, 2014
I've been rocking my natural hair for the past 3months+ and its way so cool cool
Re: Natural Hair Care by Ezibless: 9:16pm On Dec 15, 2014
I really wanna go natural.
I have very stong hair texture.

Please do you have any tips on how to soften natural strong hair,without relaxing or stretching?
Re: Natural Hair Care by marieolae(f): 9:56pm On Dec 15, 2014
I find it so hard rocking my natural hair.
My hair is breaking, its short, its not cute to be honest.

This christmas I want to stay natural, but I need my hair to grow embarassed
Re: Natural Hair Care by GbemiOO(f): 10:14pm On Dec 15, 2014
marieolae:
I find it so hard rocking my natural hair.
My hair is breaking, its short, its not cute to be honest.

This christmas I want to stay natural, but I need my hair to grow embarassed

Have you tried the black tea rinse ? It helps

Have you thought about rocking a TWA ?

And you need to have lotta patience , natural hair needs a lot of care and patience.

Visit Natural Hair Babes group on Facebook , you'll find great hair info there.
Re: Natural Hair Care by marieolae(f): 10:18pm On Dec 15, 2014
GbemiOO:

Have you tried the black tea rinse ? It helps

Have you thought about rocking a TWA ?

And you need to have lotta patience , natural hair needs a lot of care and patience.

Visit Natural Hair Babes group on Facebook , you'll find great hair info there.
please can you explain what black tea rinse is? And what is TWA? embarassed sorry for all the questions
Re: Natural Hair Care by GbemiOO(f): 10:40pm On Dec 15, 2014
marieolae:
please can you explain what black tea rinse is? And what is TWA? embarassed sorry for all the questions

TWA - Teeny Weeny Afro

Black tea rinse - rinsing the scalp with black tea. It reduces hair breakage. You can use Lipton, two or more tea bags , boil some water , leave the tea bags in the water till it cools down , shampwash or cowash your hair , the black tea rinse next , leave it for a few minutes then rinse out if you want to. You need to do it whenever you wash your hair.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Natural Hair Care by marieolae(f): 10:43pm On Dec 15, 2014
GbemiOO:

TWA - Teeny Weeny Afro

Black tea rinse - rinsing the scalp with black tea. It reduces hair breakage. You can use Lipton, two or more tea bags , boil some water , leave the tea bags in the water till it cools down , shampwash or cowash your hair , the black tea rinse next , leave it for a few minutes then rinse out if you want to. You need to do it whenever you wash your hair.
woow please when will I see improvements? I will try it once I loose these braids.
Re: Natural Hair Care by GbemiOO(f): 10:50pm On Dec 15, 2014
marieolae:
woow please when will I see improvements? I will try it once I loose these braids.

When you try it, you'll see a change , don't forget patience also, you need it.

I hope you do take care of your braids too , and don't forget to use sulphate-free products.
Re: Natural Hair Care by marieolae(f): 11:09pm On Dec 15, 2014
GbemiOO:

When you try it, you'll see a change , don't forget patience also, you need it.

I hope you do take care of your braids too , and don't forget to use sulphate-free products.

what products do u recommend please?
Re: Natural Hair Care by Nobody: 11:16pm On Dec 15, 2014
Mprex:
I've been rocking my natural hair for the past 3months+ and its way so cool cool

3 months? wow thats pretty long.
Re: Natural Hair Care by GbemiOO(f): 11:20pm On Dec 15, 2014
marieolae:

I don't know much about hair products , just started my natural hair journey.
Re: Natural Hair Care by marieolae(f): 11:21pm On Dec 15, 2014
GbemiOO:

I don't know much about hair products , just started my natural hair journey.
alright,, thanks for the advice
Re: Natural Hair Care by GbemiOO(f): 11:30pm On Dec 15, 2014
marieolae:
alright,, thanks for the advice

You're welcome.
Re: Natural Hair Care by bree01: 3:19am On Dec 16, 2014
Hi ladies,

I went natural about 6 years ago after a brief stint at a dermatologist's office. Unfortunately, I did many things wrong in taking care of my hair. Recently, I became more interested in finding information about how to care for natural hair. I started with some simple steps

1. No more HEAT
2. I co-wash- 1 part shampoo, 3 parts conditioner (hope to graduate to full conditioner wash, soon)
3. Twists every 2 weeks (with shea butter, creamy hair dress)
4. Nightly or every 2 nights, treat the tips with olive oil
5. warm water spray at least once daily,

My hair feels less brittle, I still have some breakage but much less than before as I am finger combing now. I am challenging my hair to grow past my neck.
Will definitely try the black tea rinse!
Re: Natural Hair Care by Mprex(f): 7:50am On Dec 16, 2014
mirenda:

3 months? wow thats pretty long.
yea. Will be wearing a weave soon. I dont wanna expose my hair to this harzadous harmattancheesy
Re: Natural Hair Care by blacksmicht(m): 1:51pm On Dec 16, 2014
There are numerous benefits are there with the use of black tea. It will be good for hair and also health. Black tea can also be used as a home remedy to treat acne, burns and also as a hair conditioner as the DHT hormone

black tea benefits
Re: Natural Hair Care by lovethyhair: 6:27pm On Dec 17, 2014
marieolae:

Hiya, you don't really need much. I have been natural for 18 months and I have had a lot of growth. You can read what I do here- darkchildlovethyhair..com/2014/09/5-secrets-to-longer-hair.html

I usually tell new naturals not to jump on every bandwagon. You basically need moisture( you van get that from a water based leave in conditioner), a sealant( like an oil or shea butter) a rinse out conditioner (like VO5 moisturising conditioner) a deep conditioner( I usually recommend ORS replenishing conditioner) and a shampoo ( like kids organics shampoo) Everything else is just jara.

Darkchildlovethyhair..com
Re: Natural Hair Care by lovethyhair: 6:29pm On Dec 17, 2014
bree01:
Hi ladies,

I went natural about 6 years ago after a brief stint at a dermatologist's office. Unfortunately, I did many things wrong in taking care of my hair. Recently, I became more interested in finding information about how to care for natural hair. I started with some simple steps

1. No more HEAT
2. I co-wash- 1 part shampoo, 3 parts conditioner (hope to graduate to full conditioner wash, soon)
3. Twists every 2 weeks (with shea butter, creamy hair dress)
4. Nightly or every 2 nights, treat the tips with olive oil
5. warm water spray at least once daily,

My hair feels less brittle, I still have some breakage but much less than before as I am finger combing now. I am challenging my hair to grow past my neck.
Will definitely try the black tree rinse!

It seems like all that's left for you is weekly deep conditioning. Alternate between a moisture deep conditioning weekend and a protein one and the breakage will most like stop :-)
Re: Natural Hair Care by lovethyhair: 6:34pm On Dec 17, 2014
Ezibless:

Please do you have any tips on how to soften natural strong hair,without relaxing or stretching?

Hiya, here are a few tried and trusted tips to get your hair softer.

1. Heat up your conditoner and apply it while its still warm to your hair. It should soften instantly
2. Use a spray bottle mixed with one part vegetable glycerin and 2 parts water and spritz your hair with it. It should soften immediately.

Ps. Its best to use a MOISTURISING conditioner since your hair is tough. Any other type won't give you a lot of result.
Re: Natural Hair Care by lovethyhair: 6:34pm On Dec 17, 2014
Ezibless:

Hiya, here are a few tried and trusted tips to get your hair softer.

1. Heat up your conditoner and apply it while its still warm to your hair. It should soften instantly
2. Use a spray bottle mixed with one part vegetable glycerin and 2 parts water and spritz your hair with it. It should soften immediately.

Ps. Its best to use a MOISTURISING conditioner since your hair is tough. Any other type won't give you a lot of result.

(1) (Reply)

Looking For Ladies Bags? Oasis Bags Ladies Bags Wholesaler / Flawless By Sonya Organic Mineral Makeups / Home of Exceptional Graphic Designs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.