Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,236 members, 7,811,651 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:41 PM

Thread For PHD Students - Education (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Thread For PHD Students (326180 Views)

Which University In Nigeria or abroad Accepts 3.0 Msc Grade For Phd Admission? / 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not / Presidential Scholarship Scheme For Ist Class Nigerian Graduates For Phd Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (105) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For PHD Students by osaki(m): 11:50pm On Jun 09, 2016
Very educative forum to academist
Bsc Geology
Msc Geophysics
PhD Geophysics (in view)
Pls i intend to look for greener pasture outside Nigeria after completion of my Phd eg post doctoral research/work or lecturing opportunities.... How possible and preferred location for my discipline?.... Contributions and suggestion pls

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Alleybuy(m): 2:50am On Jul 21, 2016
Hi ppl wat is the admissions policy for a phd at unilag? Are funding opportunities common there?
Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by chemashie(m): 7:10am On Jul 21, 2016
Alleybuy:
Hi ppl wat is the admissions policy for a phd at unilag? Are funding opportunities common there?
Thanks in anticipation.
Admission is not that difficult but you need to have your proposed supervisor at hand before going to obtain the form unlike MSc programmes. For the funding, there's Graduate Fellowship (GF) scholarships of 45k per month. For MSc, it is called Teaching Assistantship scholarships and the successful students are given 30k per month. You must attend and pass interview to be eligible for the TA; but I don't know much about GF. I got the TA in 2011-2012, you might need to confirm if the scholarships are still on till now. Just take a trip to your proposed department and school of postgraduate to get the necessary information. Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by babyfaceafrica: 7:41am On Jul 21, 2016
bunlizlaw:
Wow! This is a kind of thread I love to be associated with on NL.
I have a B.A.(Ed) English Language &Literature, M.A (English Language)-I will be through in January by God's grace and I intend to proceed for my PhD immediately(Although I desire to do it abroad,preferably in the US).
My research interests are in English Syntax (Advanced Transformational Grammar) and Phonology.I will appreciate any advice given to me on this forum. Thanks
syntax!!!!...please can we talk?
Re: Thread For PHD Students by essayHelp(m): 8:04am On Jul 21, 2016
Journal articles -- sci-hub.bz
Academic books -- libgen.io

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by benELOHIM7(m): 11:43am On Jul 21, 2016
Greetings scholars. I have a B.tech in chemical eng with an intention of pursuing a masters degree in thesame field. I have long admired works in renewable and green energy, I want to know if I can embark its research while pursuing my m.sc in chemical eng?
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Alleybuy(m): 12:43pm On Jul 21, 2016
Thanks a lot I rily appreciate.

chemashie:

Admission is not that difficult but you need to have your proposed supervisor at hand before going to obtain the form unlike MSc programmes. For the funding, there's Graduate Fellowship (GF) scholarships of 45k per month. For MSc, it is called Teaching Assistantship scholarships and the successful students are given 30k per month. You must attend and pass interview to be eligible for the TA; but I don't know much about GF. I got the TA in 2011-2012, you might need to confirm if the scholarships are still on till now. Just take a trip to your proposed department and school of postgraduate to get the necessary information. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Ejiod(m): 7:54pm On Jul 21, 2016
Pls do i need 2 write a TOEFL EXAM if am applying for a PhD Scholarship abroad..Pls i need more light on this
Re: Thread For PHD Students by jeebz: 7:26am On Jul 23, 2016
Ejiod:
Pls do i need 2 write a TOEFL EXAM if am applying for a PhD Scholarship abroad..Pls i need more light on this
Bro, you would need to check the requirements on the school's website.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by doziej84: 4:37pm On Jul 25, 2016
Guys, I have a skype interview coming up soon with an European University for a PhD position.

Can anyone, who has a similar experience, give me an idea on what it looks like or entails?

opportunities like this don't come often & I need to be in top form.

Thanks.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 6:56am On Jul 27, 2016
doziej84:

Guys, I have a skype interview coming up soon with an European University for a PhD position.
Can anyone, who has a similar experience, give me an idea on what it looks like or entails?
opportunities like this don't come often & I need to be in top form.
Thanks.

Two things they want to check.

Your ability to communicate in English language and your technical ability. Make sure you know everything about your masters thesis.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by DehunkMoralle: 12:57am On Aug 07, 2016
Please I am new to this forum. Can someone please tell me if it's possible to do a PhD with an MS GPA of 3.88 in Computer Science or Telecommunication Engineering related course. I just had a master in Information & Telecommunication Engineering.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by chaiks: 6:21am On Aug 08, 2016
Hello gurus. I admire d wonderful discussion going on here. Please am in d dark over wat to do. I v graduated from the University with a degree in international studies and history. Now I want to know if it I'll be possible for me to go into direct phd in any foreign university. Already, it's my grand plan to get an MBA and reside in overseas for a no of years bf coming back, but I intend to do PhD and save money along the line. Now, please from among d following areas of interest- international relations, international development, peace and conflict studies, refugee studies, diplomacy and governance, which do you think is more relevant and broader in scope and in tandem with current realities? I I'll appreciate your response.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 2:01pm On Aug 08, 2016
chaiks:
Hello gurus. I admire d wonderful discussion going on here. Please am in d dark over wat to do. I v graduated from the University with a degree in international studies and history. Now I want to know if it I'll be possible for me to go into direct phd in any foreign university. Already, it's my grand plan to get an MBA and reside in overseas for a no of years bf coming back, but I intend to do PhD and save money along the line. Now, please from among d following areas of interest- international relations, international development, peace and conflict studies, refugee studies, diplomacy and governance, which do you think is more relevant and broader in scope and in tandem with current realities? I I'll appreciate your response.

Your certificate says History & International Studies. Be proud of being a Historian, there's no need to hide it and tuck it away under international studies.

To do PhD directly from B.A would mean having a university grade/degree (mostly first class with a high CGPA) & number of publications that rivals or equals that of someone with just a B.A & M.A (with little to no publications).

International development, refugee studies, & diplomacy/governance all fall under Peace & Cobflict Studies --- then totally fall under history &international studies. Right now, Peace & Conflict studies iss the hot cake; too many conflicts but not too many professionals to take care of them.

I'll advise that you do M.A in PCS locally or internationally first then step into PhD. Going directly from BA to PhD in humanities requires a lot but for sciences it is quite easier as long as you're very competent in the hot areas of research.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by chaiks: 4:55pm On Aug 08, 2016
@9jacrip, tnks for your insightful response . well, I didn't grad with a first class and I v no publication. From ur response, I feel it I'll be right to go for masters in pcs. I hate d fact that d undergrad prog contain too many history courses. But dats by D way. Please do u feel it's easy to get like funding in pcs with d right documents n cgpa of 4.49 internationally. I am handicapped in terms of finances but I prefer it abroad for internship purposes which I'll give one practical knowledge.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 5:29pm On Aug 08, 2016
chaiks:
@9jacrip, tnks for your insightful response . well, I didn't grad with a first class and I v no publication. From ur response, I feel it I'll be right to go for masters in pcs. I hate d fact that d undergrad prog contain too many history courses. But dats by D way. Please do u feel it's easy to get like funding in pcs with d right documents n cgpa of 4.49 internationally. I am handicapped in terms of finances but I prefer it abroad for internship purposes which I'll give one practical knowledge.

Hate ke? I enjoyed every bit of it. You should open your heart to & accept the fact that you're a Historian - the international studies attached to it holds no weight really.

Funding at M.A level requires convincing the faculty you have knowledge of; resources of and will contribute heavily to the area of interest in the faculty. Funding at M.A level for humanities is very rare but at PhD level funding is quite rampant it is about having papers aligned with a research the faculty takes or will take interest in.

I want to quit PhD in PCS and go back to PhD in History, Yoruba culture history. That topic is quite hot across HBCUs in the USA and there are not too many authoirities in the field -- this makes me wish my MA was in History rather than the PCS I did but it will make my qualifications versatile.

Funding at MA level except for sciences is rare but you may start writing faculties to see of they'll have something for you or take interest in your proposal.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by chalxdon(m): 2:01pm On Aug 15, 2016
DehunkMoralle:
Please I am new to this forum. Can someone please tell me if it's possible to do a PhD with an MS GPA of 3.88 in Computer Science or Telecommunication Engineering related course. I just had a master in Information & Telecommunication Engineering.
Few schools do accept CGPA less than 4.0. I think you have to check out the requirements from the particular school you want
Re: Thread For PHD Students by guiddoti: 8:16pm On Aug 15, 2016
wonderful! following
Re: Thread For PHD Students by yinchar(m): 10:33pm On Aug 20, 2016
Good day guys, if there is any Nigerian PhD student anywhere in the world currently doing research in the field of Internet of Things, Semantic Web, Ontology, Wireless Sensor Networks.

Kindly let us get to know each other, share ideas and collaborate. It will be a great thing for our career development. I am in the second year of my PhD research at a University in South Africa.

B.Tech Computer Science

M.Sc Information Systems (India)

P.hD Information Technology (1st Year)(South Africa)

Research Area: Semantic Integration of Wireless Sensors Data for Internet of Things (IoT)

My email is lokeloke9300@gmail.com, feel free to get in touch. I will go through this thread from the beginning to the end and list the moniker of PhD researchers in the aforementioned field in this post.

cc:
Urine
chat2deen
jeebz

Cheers
Re: Thread For PHD Students by jeebz: 6:26pm On Aug 21, 2016
yinchar:
Good day guys, if there is any Nigerian PhD student anywhere in the world currently doing research in the field of Internet of Things, Semantic Web, Ontology, Wireless Sensor Networks.

Kindly let us get to know each other, share ideas and collaborate. It will be a great thing for our career development. I am in the second year of my PhD research at a University in South Africa.

My email is lokeloke9300@gmail.com, feel free to get in touch. I will go through this thread from the beginning to the end and list the moniker of PhD researchers in the aforementioned field in this post.

cc:
Urine
chat2deen
jeebz

Cheers

Sent you a PM. Kindly acknowledge
Re: Thread For PHD Students by veave(f): 9:01am On Aug 22, 2016
Hi fam, I'm looking for schools to apply for phd in. I've not made up my mind on what i want to do yet but it definitely be close to speech and text synthesis. BTW, how do i calculate the aggregate in percentage? For example what would 60, 70, 80% be?

I'd love to do it out of the shores of Nigeria. Do you know how i could apply for full scholarships? And what countries i could get it easily?
Re: Thread For PHD Students by omoghene1: 1:13pm On Aug 22, 2016
Hello all , please are there any funding opportunities for Phd Anatomy at ABSU.Thanks.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by chaiks: 1:29pm On Aug 22, 2016
Tnks @9jacrips for responding. Not that I hate history but to me it's kind of an old course no longer needed in the contemporary Era. and besides, I see people who read history only end up in classroom tins while d privileged find demselves in govt. U wish to leave pcs and go back to history? Lol. What do u mean by HBCUs? Is like say if one decides to carry on with masters and phd in say igbo cultural history, can one be retained as a lecturer there in d States? Are u in USA now and does history and international relations v internship be it at masters or phd level? I know USA is home for diplomacy and international relation studies, but it's kinda expensive to study there now. That's y I prefer Europe for masters and den phd in USA by God's grace.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Ndawe(f): 2:27pm On Oct 14, 2016
Hi,

Please where are you undertaking your PhD?
Thanks
Roundabout:
What an interesting thread!...
B.Tech-Industrial Chemistry.
M.sc- Environmental Chemistry and Pollution Control.
PhD (just few months into the programme)-Analytical /Environmental Chemistry...
Re: Thread For PHD Students by whys: 5:35am On Oct 19, 2016
Pls I need assess to recent medical journals.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Ladon7: 10:44am On Oct 21, 2016
Pls is it possible to do my PhD in chemical engineering, my first n second degree is in industrial chemistry
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Ovipoet: 10:47am On Oct 21, 2016
Are you working yet?
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Ovipoet: 10:49am On Oct 21, 2016
osaki:
Very educative forum to academist
Bsc Geology
Msc Geophysics
PhD Geophysics (in view)
Pls i intend to look for greener pasture outside Nigeria after completion of my Phd eg post doctoral research/work or lecturing opportunities.... How possible and preferred location for my discipline?.... Contributions and suggestion pls

Are you working yet?
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 1:32pm On Oct 21, 2016
pls is there anyone doing an mphil or phd in the field of health
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 2:39pm On Oct 21, 2016
wip7:

If the research is published in international journals and you know the full name of the author or title of the article..then you can state it here. I have full subscription to most journals (85%) and i can get the full text for you and email you downloaded copy free!
hihi..is it still possible?
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 2:46pm On Oct 21, 2016
2fine2fast:
Hello everyone.
B.Tech - Biochemistry, FUTMinna

M.Tech - Applied Biochemistry (Toxicology Option), FUTA.
Thesis: Acetaminophen Induced Liver Damage: The effects of Parinari flavonoids on some Biochemical Indices and Antioxidant Parameters.

PhD- Next..........

Going through this thread has made me to realize that i still have a lot to learn.
I am planning to start my PhD in Europe next year and want to focus my research on Toxicology/ Phytomedicine.
I am so open to your suggestions and guidance. Thanks.
ur msc topic was what i fid for bsc
Re: Thread For PHD Students by bantonbow(m): 9:13pm On Oct 21, 2016
I am a PhD student in UI and recently published an article in Elsevier which took a year and a month from submission to publication. However I observed that some authors from developed countries with similar research publication have theirs published far less than others. do we call this selective discrimination

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (105) (Reply)

2018/2019 Admission Process Thread Guide / 2016/2017 UTME And Admission Process Thread / Apply for 2018/2019 PTDF Scholarship in Germany/France/China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.