Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,974 members, 7,817,867 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:41 PM

Thread For PHD Students - Education (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Thread For PHD Students (327045 Views)

Which University In Nigeria or abroad Accepts 3.0 Msc Grade For Phd Admission? / 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not / Presidential Scholarship Scheme For Ist Class Nigerian Graduates For Phd Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (105) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For PHD Students by GboyegaD(m): 3:22pm On Aug 21, 2018
ejibaba:

He can get a study leave without pay it will be approved faster than with pay. Let him accept the job oh..He can always get another scholarship.

Trust me, I have friends who were higher in rank who came to North America to do PhD. None is thinking of going back home mainly for 2 reasons: the pay in Nigeria is an eye sore when averagely as a TA you earn $2kcad/1800usd monthly and as an Assistant prof., you would earn better. Secondly, no research sponsorship in Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 2:54pm On Aug 22, 2018
GboyegaD:

Trust me, I have friends who were higher in rank who came to North America to do PhD. None is thinking of going back home mainly for 2 reasons: the pay in Nigeria is an eye sore when averagely as a TA you earn $2kcad/1800usd monthly and as an Assistant prof., you would earn better. Secondly, no research sponsorship in Nigeria.

I agree though!!! But not everyone are lucky to get placement there.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by GboyegaD(m): 5:10am On Aug 23, 2018
ejibaba:

I agree though!!! But not everyone are lucky to get placement there.

You are very right with academic placement after studies. I think in the long run, it all depends on what we want.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by MizTyna(f): 7:18am On Aug 23, 2018
borie4u, check this post
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 7:59am On Aug 23, 2018
GboyegaD:

You are very right with academic placement after studies. I think in the long run, it all depends on what we want.

That's right
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Sunteck(m): 10:43am On Aug 24, 2018
Pls am new here and i think we sopposed create whatsapp group for everyone here, and if there is any pls add me with my number 08106901351
Re: Thread For PHD Students by xtosync: 1:38pm On Aug 24, 2018
Warmest Regard to everyone for the wealth of knowledge on this thread.

I am currently a PhD student in a Federal University in Nigeria. My field of study is in Food and Nutrition Biochemistry with my research area covering on Electroculture.

I am processing my Canada PR and would love to get advice from experienced persons here. I need career guidance.

In all humility, my academic qualifications are BSc (BCH), MSc(BCH), PGDE, MPhil (BCH) and BSc (Comp.Sc.). Obtained in that order.

I observed that our education system is quite poor in comparison to that in Canada and fear a situation where it will look like all my academic qualification comes to 'nothing' on getting to Canada.

What position in Academia can one via for in Canada as a PR with these educational qualifications from Nigeria? (I only have two co-authored published work - 1 in an international journal the other in a local journal).

Should I include going back to do a MSc program with my Comp. Science degree as a plan (Canadian Education: The onlyCanadian Education route I can take now since I will be obtaining a PhD from Nigeria)? If yes what area/course can I do that blend some biochemistry with computer science? (I don't wish to be redundant in my academic achievement in the field of Biochemistry. Hence my thought that a collaboration of the two field will be nice.)

Actually, I have a flare for computer related stuffs (Aiming to go into programming and software development) and have 10years of experience working as a cybercafe owner hence my desire to obtain a degree in Computer Science (God helped and I got a CGPA of 4.35/5). Never really worked for anyone since I started the biz immediately after NYSC. I am married with kid and I am closing in on middle 30's.

I will really really appreciate feedback and advice, PLEASE.

Cc: Wip7
Cc: GboyegaD

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by GboyegaD(m): 7:36pm On Aug 24, 2018
xtosync:
Warmest Regard to everyone for the wealth of knowledge on this thread.

I am currently a PhD student in a Federal University in Nigeria. My field of study is on Food and Nutrition Biochemistry with my research area covering on Electroculture.

I am processing my Canada PR and would love to get advice from experienced persons here. I need career guidance.

In all humility, my academic qualifications are BSc (BCH), MSc(BCH), PGDE, MPhil (BCH) and BSc (Comp.Sc.). Obtained in that order.

I observed that our education system is quite poor in comparison to that in Canada and fear a situation where it will look like all my academic qualification comes to 'nothing' on getting to Canada.

What position in Academia can one via for in Canada as a PR with these educational qualifications from Nigeria? (I only have two co-authored published work - 1 in an international journal the other in a local journal).

Should I include going back to do a MSc program with my Comp. Science degree as a plan? If yes what area/course can I do that blend some biochemistry with computer science? (I don't wish to be redundant in my academic achievement in the field of Biochemistry. Hence my thought that a collaboration of the two field will be nice.)

Actually, I have a flare for computer related stuffs (Aiming to go into programming and software development) and have 10years of experience working as a cybercafe owner hence my desire to obtain a degree in Computer Science (God helped and I got a CGPA of 4.35/5). Never really worked for anyone since I started the biz immediately after NYSC. I am married with kid and I am closing in on middle 30's.

I will really really appreciate feedback and advice, PLEASE.

Cc: Wip7
Cc: GboyegaD

How long more do you have to finish your PhD and are you considering academics being a doctoral student? If yes, then you might want to start from a Post Doc otherwise, I will suggest you think through why you want that which you want and focus on it.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by OvaSabi1(f): 9:48pm On Aug 24, 2018
Hello to everyone here. I just got employed as an assistant lecturer in a state university. I work in the department of accounting. I have my MSc in Accounting (merit; Bsc: 2:2) and just stated with professional examinations. I have no published papers yet and I have just started reading and hope to publish a couple of papers within the next few months. I have not been confirmed yet, I heard that it takes 2 years to be confirmed.
Right now, I want to complete my professional qualifications, publish papers and then, apply for a PhD in a Scandinavian country. I am not sure when Tetfund will "reach my turn" and I don't know if Nordic countries are eligible under the scheme. I have a feeling that the application to these Nordic Universities will be madly competitive. I want to know my chances and work towards it.
I have gone through the thread and have not seen anyone in accounting yet. Please reply with any helpful tips that you have.

Cc: GboyegaD, Wip7 clumsydyna, ejibaba

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by GboyegaD(m): 11:27pm On Aug 24, 2018
OvaSabi1:
Hello to everyone here. I just got employed as an assistant lecturer in a state university. I work in the department of accounting. I have my MSc in Accounting (merit; Bsc: 2:2) and just stated with professional examinations. I have no published papers yet and I have just started reading and hope to publish a couple of papers within the next few months. I have not been confirmed yet, I heard that it takes 2 years to be confirmed.
Right now, I want to complete my professional qualifications, publish papers and then, apply for a PhD in a Scandinavian country. I am not sure when Tetfund will "reach my turn" and I don't know if Nordic countries are eligible under the scheme. I have a feeling that the application to these Nordic Universities will be madly competitive. I want to know my chances and work towards it.
I have gone through the thread and have not seen anyone in accounting yet. Please reply with any helpful tips that you have.

I truly do not know anything about admission process into Scandinavian and Nordic Universities and don't know how the TETFUND operates as well. Hopefully, the experienced ones can help.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 11:57pm On Aug 24, 2018
Sunteck:
Pls am new here and i think we sopposed create whatsapp group for everyone here, and if there is any pls add me with my number 08106901351

No need to create WhatsApp groups and also is not encouraged in this particular thread. Please remove your number. All conversations should be on this thread.

8 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 7:19am On Aug 25, 2018
OvaSabi1:

I am not in accounting..congrat on your appointment...Tetfund has nothing to do with turn just apply...Find out from the desk officer in the VC office...
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 7:22am On Aug 25, 2018
wip7:

No need to create WhatsApp groups and also is not encouraged in this particular thread. Please remove your number. All conversations should be on this thread.

I so support..It's an open access thread indexed in the best indexing companies and high impact factor of 10.0.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 9:50am On Aug 25, 2018
OvaSabi1:

As a new Assistant lecturer: For every academic in the true sense; to develop relatively or competitively, you will need to enhance your academic profile in terms of research output, teaching quality, projects and community engagement. Yeah, I heard it takes 2-3 years for you to be confirmed and after which you can always proceed with study leave. Also, you can apply to any country under TETFUND provided you meet their requirements which is expressed as follows: Choice of the country of study must be guided by the World University Ranking of Times Higher Education. Scholars should seek for admission in countries that have Universities ahead of the best university in Nigeria (based on the ranking of that year)

Regarding your intention to start your PhD in Nordic countries: Majority of the universities in the Nordic countries favours more of Engineering, technology, Sciences and Nanotechnology in comparison with offering PhD in Accounting specifically in Sweden and Norway. However, you will find a quantifiable number of Universities in Finland and Denmark offering social science courses at the PhD level. Since the majority of the PhD positions is funded, hence, the competition is fierce.....so would require great CGPA, a good number of research publications related to your intended field of PhD research and other emerging/demanding soft skill-sets.

Major conditions to avail TETFUND: To be eligible for TETFund scholarship, a nominee must:

a. Be a full-time confirmed Nigerian Academic Staff, working at and nominated by a beneficiary institution;
b. Have secured admission to pursue a full-time programme of study
c. Be bonded by the institution

Research in Accounting: First, research is about providing solutions to national and global challenges, improving existing solutions, developing new ideas that cover the existing knowledge gap or support proven theoretical models. The research involves training, dedication and development of writing skills, research skills, analytical and empirical skills.

1. First, identify which research areas interest you, the problem/issues you wish to provide solutions to or existing knowledge gap you intend to cover in your research areas. Note that, it's advantageous to have multidisciplinary research and approach. Also, ensure your research is not just answering local challenges or your approach is not fully local. You must ensure reproducibility and global approach to any issues.

2. Find quality related journals in your field, scan 5 years back to see a trend in the research that is being published. Read through their abstracts and conclusion. From their title and abstract sit down and pounder on the issues, the articles were trying to provide solutions to. Do a lot of jolting, learn from it and formulate your own research topics/titles. Ensure you will have access to both the primary and secondary data or materials for your formulated topics/titles.

3. As soon as you formulate your research titles, learn all the analytical skills (mathematical models, computing and optimization) required to process your observed data so as to provide concise and meaningful trend to all irrespective of the field of the reader.

4. Focus on publishing your results on respected and internationally acceptable journals. And keep doing that till you create a highly competitive academic profile.

NOTE:
The following Journal publisher will be useful, just google the journals they have in your field and related publications: Elsevier, Springer, Taylor and Francis and Willey.

Tips:
You may look at how you can infuse time-series, data analysis, predictive models, forecasting analytics into any aspect of the accounting research you want to do. Also, consider bridging accounting and financial management, risk controls, culture and tail risk.
You may also look towards the relationship between accounting and energy, environment, and markets (tax, bonds, etc) considering different
predictive and optimization models.

Best wishes!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by OvaSabi1(f): 10:54am On Aug 25, 2018
wip7:

As a new Assistant lecturer: For every academic in the true sense; to develop relatively or competitively, you will need to enhance your academic profile in terms of research output, teaching quality, projects and community engagement. Yeah, I heard it takes 2-3 years for you to be confirmed and after which you can always proceed with study leave. Also, you can apply to any country under TETFUND provided you meet their requirements which is expressed as follows: Choice of the country of study must be guided by the World University Ranking of Times Higher Education. Scholars should seek for admission in countries that have Universities ahead of the best university in Nigeria (based on the ranking of that year)

Regarding your intention to start your PhD in Nordic countries: Majority of the universities in the Nordic countries favours more of Engineering, technology, Sciences and Nanotechnology in comparison with offering PhD in Accounting specifically in Sweden and Norway. However, you will find a quantifiable number of Universities in Finland and Denmark offering social science courses at the PhD level. Since the majority of the PhD positions is funded, hence, the competition is fierce.....so would require great CGPA, a good number of research publications related to your intended field of PhD research and other emerging/demanding soft skill-sets.

Major conditions to avail TETFUND: To be eligible for TETFund scholarship, a nominee must:

a. Be a full-time confirmed Nigerian Academic Staff, working at and nominated by a beneficiary institution;
b. Have secured admission to pursue a full-time programme of study
c. Be bonded by the institution

Research in Accounting: First, research is about providing solutions to national and global challenges, improving existing solutions, developing new ideas that cover the existing knowledge gap or support proven theoretical models. The research involves training, dedication and development of writing skills, research skills, analytical and empirical skills.

1. First, identify which research areas interest you, the problem/issues you wish to provide solutions to or existing knowledge gap you intend to cover in your research areas. Note that, it's advantageous to have multidisciplinary research and approach. Also, ensure your research is not just answering local challenges or your approach is not fully local. You must ensure reproducibility and global approach to any issues.

2. Find quality related journals in your field, scan 5 years back to see a trend in the research that is being published. Read through their abstracts and conclusion. From their title and abstract sit down and pounder on the issues, the articles were trying to provide solutions to. Do a lot of jolting, learn from it and formulate your own research topics/titles. Ensure you will have access to both the primary and secondary data or materials for your formulated topics/titles.

3. As soon as you formulate your research titles, learn all the analytical skills (mathematical models, computing and optimization) required to process your observed data so as to provide concise and meaningful trend to all irrespective of the field of the reader.

4. Focus on publishing your results on respected and internationally acceptable journals. And keep doing that till you create a highly competitive academic profile.

NOTE:
The following Journal publisher will be useful, just google the journals they have in your field and related publications: Elsevier, Springer, Taylor and Francis and Willey.

Tips:
You may look at how you can infuse time-series, data analysis, predictive models, forecasting analytics into any aspect of the accounting research you want to do. Also, consider bridging accounting and financial management, risk controls, culture and tail risk.
You may also look towards the relationship between accounting and energy, environment, and markets (tax, bonds, etc) considering different
predictive and optimization models.

Best wishes!

Thank you for this. I am grateful. You may hear from me soon. Have a great weekend.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by YemziAdez(m): 12:07pm On Aug 25, 2018
Hi All,

Trust you're doing great?

Please follow this link: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/327121104_Larvicidal_activity_of_the_cold_and_hot_water_leaf_extracts_of_Azadirachta_indica_A_Juss_Meliaceae_against_the_larvae_of_Culex_quinquefasciatus_Say_Diptera_Culicidae to gain access to my most recent publication (August, 2018) at the Animal Research International (Journal) with impact factor of 0.89.

A big shout out to Prof. wip7 and other Scholars making this thread a great one.

I hope to publish in very high impact factor journals such as Springer, Elsevier amongst others by God's Grace.

Regards

3 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 1:58pm On Aug 25, 2018
YemziAdez:
Hi All,

Trust you're doing great?

Please follow this link: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/327121104_Larvicidal_activity_of_the_cold_and_hot_water_leaf_extracts_of_Azadirachta_indica_A_Juss_Meliaceae_against_the_larvae_of_Culex_quinquefasciatus_Say_Diptera_Culicidae to gain access to my most recent publication (August, 2018) at the Animal Research International (Journal) with impact factor of 0.89.

A big shout out to Prof. wip7 and other Scholars making this thread a great one.
I hope to publish in very high impact factor journals such as Springer, Elsevier amongst others by God's Grace.
Regards

Congrats Sir/Ma. The work is quite nice, impressive and of academic interest. I just read through your work and I must say Well done!. But I have some questions or suggestions that may help you to improve your next work.

Questions:

1. Why not separate the bioactive compounds from the extract using TLC instead of using filter paper?

2. Why you guys did not carry out phytochemical screening of the plant extracts?

3. You reported that you collected the eggs of Cx. quinquefasciatus in an open stagnant water. How do you identify the species? because An. stephensi also play around stagnant waters.

4. Why not use laboratory reared vector mosquitoes that will be free of exposure to insecticides and pathogens?

Suggestions:

1. You may also investigate the mode of action of the bioactive components against the mosquito species

2. Studying at least 3 species of vector mosquito at once will be nice for comparative performance.

3. You may take optical images of the mosquito species before and during exposure to the extract.

4. Will you be able to study DNA changes after exposure to extract?

Best wishes!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by xtosync: 1:58pm On Aug 25, 2018
GboyegaD:

How long more do you have to finish your PhD and are you considering academics being a doctoral student? If yes, then you might want to start from a Post Doc otherwise, I will suggest you think through why you want that which you want and focus on it.

Thank you very much for your answer.

I started this year and have two more years to finish PhD program. Hopefully, I would love to be in the academics as that has been my intention from the onset. Working with computers is my hobby and something I am good at. I wish I could get an idea of which area of science that will be suitable for someone with my set skills i.e ICT and Biochemistry. I have seen courses like Computational Biology, Biomedical Informatics, Bioinformatics, Health Informatics. But also observed a lot of debates about which is better as a course, in relation to getting a job and competition therein weither in academics or industries.

Pardon my ignorance. Being a doctoral student, can one be able to get a job with good enough income to fend for his family of 3? I ask this because immigrating to a new country (even if developed) has its own challenges and I am trying to get as much information as possible from experienced folks.

Please @wip7 I need your input on this and my earlier question. Thank you Sir.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by YemziAdez(m): 2:55pm On Aug 25, 2018
wip7:

Congrats Sir/Ma. The work is quite nice, impressive and of academic interest. I just read through your work and I must say Well done!. But I have some questions or suggestions that may help you to improve your next work.

Questions:

1. Why not separate the bioactive compounds from the extract using TLC instead of using filter paper?

2. Why you guys did not carry out phytochemical screening of the plant extracts?

3. You reported that you collected the eggs of Cx. quinquefasciatus in an open stagnant water. How do you identify the species? because An. stephensi also play around stagnant waters.

4. Why not use laboratory reared vector mosquitoes that will be free of exposure to insecticides and pathogens?

Suggestions:

1. You may also investigate the mode of action of the bioactive components against the mosquito species

2. Studying at least 3 species of vector mosquito at once will be nice for comparative performance.

3. You may take optical images of the mosquito species before and during exposure to the extract.

4. Will you be able to study DNA changes after exposure to extract?

Best wishes!

Many thanks for you kind words and comments.

These are my humble responses to your comments cum questions.

Q1: I would have loved to do that, however, I don't have the facilities to carry out such studies at my disposal. In addition, we were very much interested in creating a method in which the "common" man finds user-friendly.

Q2: A plethora of publications exist on the phytochemical composition of the neem plant, consequently we decided not to conduct phytochemical screenings/studies.

Q3: The eggs of Culex quinquefasciatus are quite distinct from that of any Anopheles species. They're usually laid in rafts (you might check the pictures for more clarification), while that of Anopheles species are usually laid singly (I learnt these during my training at the molecular entomology and vector control unit, Nigerian Institute of Medical Research, Lagos).

Q4: Previous studies have investigated the mosquitocidal activities of different extracts (e.g. ethanol, methanol, acetone, ethyl ether amongst others) of the neem plant against several laboratory reared mosquito species including Cx. quinquefasciatus, however, studies focusing on the aqueous extracts (using water) of the plant against field mosquito species are scarce and uncommon. Thus the reason for the study.

Response to Suggestions generally
Following the end of my bioassay, I noticed some significant changes in the morphology of the larvae, however, I never took It to heart as I was only interested in their mortality.

I'll love to conduct DNA studies too, however, I don't have enough fundings to proceed to that level.

In my next study, I'll put in consideration all what you've suggested.

Kind regards.

PS: Are you open to a collaborative study Prof.?

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 3:23pm On Aug 25, 2018
YemziAdez:

Many thanks for you kind words and comments.

These are my humble responses to your comments cum questions.

Response to Suggestions generally
Following the end of my bioassay, I noticed some significant changes in the morphology of the larvae, however, I never took It to heart as I was only interested in their mortality.

I'll love to conduct DNA studies too, however, I don't have enough fundings to proceed to that level.

In my next study, I'll put in consideration all what you've suggested.

Kind regards.

PS: Are you open to a collaborative study Prof.?

That's quite nice. Reasons, I made those comments and suggestion is to allow you enhance your work to allow publication in higher quality journals. Also, I have seen research that focus more on the DNA mutation after exposure and studies the mode of mutation.

I have works on antimicrobial, not from plant extract but using lab-synthesized nanoparticles. Am open to collaboration!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by YemziAdez(m): 4:17pm On Aug 25, 2018
wip7:

That's quite nice. Reasons, I made those comments and suggestion is to allow you enhance your work to allow publication in higher quality journals. Also, I have seen research that focus more on the DNA mutation after exposure and studies the mode of mutation.

I have works on antimicrobial, not from plant extract but using lab-synthesized nanoparticles. Am open to collaboration!

Many thanks for your response.

I'll write to you sooner rather than later.

I need to peruse some of your publications.

Please, can you share the links to your publications?

I'll also love to follow you on Researchgate.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by GboyegaD(m): 6:16pm On Aug 25, 2018
xtosync:

Thank you very much for your answer.

I started this year and have two more years to finish PhD program. Hopefully, I would love to be in the academics as that has been my intention from the onset. Working with computers is my hobby and something I am good at. I wish I could get an idea of which area of science that will be suitable for someone with my set skills i.e ICT and Biochemistry. I have seen courses like Computational Biology, Biomedical Informatics, Bioinformatics, Health Informatics. But also observed a lot of debates about which is better as a course, in relation to getting a job and competition therein weither in academics or industries.

Pardon my ignorance. Being a doctoral student, can one be able to get a job with good enough income to fend for his family of 3? I ask this because immigrating to a new country (even if developed) has its own challenges and I am trying to get as much information as possible from experienced folks.

Please @wip7 I need your input on this and my earlier question. Thank you Sir.

Being a doctoral student in Canada, funding varies depending on Universities. So using Ucalgary for instance, Engineerung and Haskyne Business School on funding gets free tuition alongside $22,700 annually. Economics for instance gets 22,700 and students pay tuition themselves which is about 10k pre candidacy and $6k post candidacy. As a PR there are many scholarships to apply for however, your funding is adjusted a bit. For instance, a Vanier scholar gets the Vanier scholarship of 50k annually and the department gives extra 10k and same for Eyes High scholars which is scholarship of 30k plus 10k from department. Over all, there are many PhD students who are married and are living fine.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 9:49am On Aug 26, 2018
YemziAdez:

Many thanks for your response.
I'll write to you sooner rather than later.
I need to peruse some of your publications.

Attached here is my recent publication on the Antimicrobial activity of engineered nanoparticles. This is published in the International Journal of Biological Macromolecules with an impact factor of 3.909 indexed under SCI.

Here, the focus was on two different bacterial species with the engineered nanoparticles completely killed E.coli within 24 h using very minute quantity. The same nanoparticles completely destroyed both fields and reared mosquitoes in an ongoing work within 20 secs.

A possible collaborative work is to compare the efficacy, time and performance of various extract with the nanoparticles. Study the activity of a certain quantity of the nanoparticles are mixed with the extract and its effects on various other pathogens.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by YemziAdez(m): 7:05pm On Aug 26, 2018
wip7:

Attached here is my recent publication on the Antimicrobial activity of engineered nanoparticles. This is published in the International Journal of Biological Macromolecules with an impact factor of 3.909 indexed under SCI.

Here, the focus was on two different bacterial species with the engineered nanoparticles completely killed E.coli within 24 h using very minute quantity. The same nanoparticles completely destroyed both fields and reared mosquitoes in an ongoing work within 20 secs.

A possible collaborative work is to compare the efficacy, time and performance of various extract with the nanoparticles. Study the activity of a certain quantity of the nanoparticles are mixed with the extract and its effects on various other pathogens.

Fantastic studies I must say!

But I want to ask, are these laboratory synthesized nano particles user-and ecologically friendly?

If yes, I'll love to know more about the synthesis of these nano-particles as it can be integrated in malaria and other mosquito borne diseases' control and management.

How can I get such knowledge/experience Prof.?

I'll be glad if you can be of help.

Although at the Nigerian Institute of Medical Research where I'm currently volunteering as an intern, we are often interested in synthetic insecticides (E.g Pyrethroids).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Engrsommy: 8:31am On Aug 27, 2018
NEW READ!!! Share with those who need this

CHOOSE A PROGRAMME AND APPLY NOW!

---[Professional PGD, MSc & PhD Graduate Programmes in Petroleum, Energy Economics, Management & Policy.]----

University of Port Harcourt, Emerald Energy Institute admissions for 2018 is on

For more details and to apply online:
http:///eeiuniport2018
------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROFESSIONAL PROGRAMMES OF THE INSTITUTE

1. PGD Petroleum and Energy Economics

2. Professional Masters of Energy Economics, Options-Oil and Gas Economics, Gas and Power Economics, Energy Policy & Regulation

3. M.Sc. Petroleum Economics, Management and Policy Programm

4. M.Sc. Energy Economics, Management and Policy Programm

5. Ph.D. Petroleum Economics

6. Ph.D. Energy Economics

NOTE: The PhD Programme runs for 24 months (full time) and 36months (part time)

There's also a special arrangement for industry/company workers to easily under the programme

Emerald Energy Institute Uniport is specially equipped and setup to educate, empower and engage professionals to acquire skills that are relevant for careers in;

----->>> the Petroleum and Energy industries;
----->>>In government ministries, departments and parastatals that are responsible for managing petroleum and energy resources;
------>>>In banking/financial institutions,
------>>>Energy and petroleum policy consulting units,
-->> The Academia.

For more details and to apply online:
http:///eeiuniport2018
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 9:20am On Aug 27, 2018
YemziAdez:

Fantastic studies I must say!

But I want to ask, are these laboratory synthesized nano particles user-and ecologically friendly?

If yes, I'll love to know more about the synthesis of these nano-particles as it can be integrated in malaria and other mosquito borne diseases' control and management.

How can I get such knowledge/experience Prof.?
I'll be glad if you can be of help.
Although at the Nigerian Institute of Medical Research where I'm currently volunteering as an intern, we are often interested in synthetic insecticides (E.g Pyrethroids).

The numbers of commercial Engineered nanoparticles (ENPs) that have been incorporated into drugs, body cream, hand wash, dish wash, surface cleaning agents and hospital detergents. The concentrations of these ENPs are safe and not harmful to humans. Notably, more efficient and enhanced potency.

Synthesis: These ENPs are synthesized via various tech. In most cases, we use greener synthesis pathway via leaf extracts in some cases. You can read one of my papers on the Biosynthesis of the MgO below:

You can also read this article to see the huge commercial utilization of ENPs in various home and industrial products against antimicrobial and antimalaria: Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2015, 12, 8717–8743; doi:10.3390/ijerph120808717

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 4:08pm On Aug 28, 2018
My latest Research on SOLAR AIR HEATER (SAH)

What is SAH?: Solar air heater is a solar thermal technology in which the renewable energy from the sun is captured by an absorbing medium and used to heat or condition air for buildings or process heat applications. SAH is typically the most cost-effective solar technology, especially in commercial, residential and industrial applications. See pictures below for some of SAH.

The Research: Here, we fabricated a double pass perforated glazed SAH packed with iron wools and mesh layers as shown in the Figure below and experimentally investigated the heat output and exergy efficiency. We applied Taguchi and trained Artificial neural network to optimize both the controllable and uncontrollable parameters during and after the fabrication.

Cost analysis: We carried out cost analysis for the heat gained and fabrication. Considering a mass flow rate of 0.033 kg/s, the cost of useful kW gained was calculated as 1743.5 kW/year and cost of fabrication was 68.5USD.

Publication: Work is submitted to International Journal of Green energy and recently accepted for publication.

5 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by mustyy: 10:35pm On Sep 05, 2018
Good day my fellow students.
I have been following this thread for quite close to a year, I am so grateful for the guiding information I am receiving, God bless you all, especially ...prof. Whip
I am an intending PhD student.
Bsc. In agricultural and environmental resources engineering (2.1)
Msc. In Civil engineering wish specialization in environmental and public health engineering (PhD grade)
I want to go for PhD in Civil engineering with specialization of the environmental engineering.
Please I need some very interesting and innovative research topics which I can use it to apply for PhD positions in universities abroad.
And if possible I want some topics to be related to oil and gas engineering (I want try my luck for PTDF scholarship ).
if I may need to drop my contact for efficient communication, please indicate. Thank you.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by transbut5(m): 11:22pm On Sep 05, 2018
Good day professor. (Wip7)
You promised to get back to me. I'm still waiting for your reply.
Kind regards.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by lizzybett: 11:27pm On Sep 05, 2018
clumsydyna:
I am in need of anyone in the business administration field interested in writing research papers with me, my interest is in climate change.

Hello, I am interested. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by lizzybett: 11:46pm On Sep 05, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I have a Bsc and Msc in Management. I intend to begin my PhD studies as soon as possible and I'm looking at being fully -funded. I have actually gotten admission into two schools in the UK, but i wasn't given a scholarship. One of the requirements for obtaining studentship is having relevant research experience and I only have experience doing my MSC and BSC thesis. Please, I will appreciate suggestions on how to get relevant research experience or be part of publications so as to increase my chances of obtaining a studentship. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 2:02am On Sep 06, 2018
transbut5:
Good day professor. (Wip7)
You promised to get back to me. I'm still waiting for your reply.
Kind regards.

Sorry for late response. I have been on vacation and traveling various Countries where I am having limited access to my computer.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (105) (Reply)

2018/2019 Admission Process Thread Guide / 2016/2017 UTME And Admission Process Thread / Apply for 2018/2019 PTDF Scholarship in Germany/France/China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.