Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,038 members, 7,825,287 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 10:50 AM

Thread For PHD Students - Education (53) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Thread For PHD Students (328249 Views)

Which University In Nigeria or abroad Accepts 3.0 Msc Grade For Phd Admission? / 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not / Presidential Scholarship Scheme For Ist Class Nigerian Graduates For Phd Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) ... (105) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Geosystem(m): 9:32am On Dec 12, 2018
olawalepopoola:
My PhD research focuses on the impact of Artisanal Mining on Geological Media, Ecology and Human Health in Selected Geological Settings of Nigeria.
For this study with the approval of the PG Board, I collected: Groundwater, Surfacewater, Mine water, Soils, Rocks, Stream Sediments, Mine Tailings, Human hair and nails. In all I collected 550 samples.
I got a research grant of 10,000 RMB from the State Key Laboratory of Environmental Geochemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Guiyang in 2017 for my research. I traveled there for three months for my analysis.
Based on this research I was given a conference grant to Boston, USA this year. I will be presenting part of the work at the 1st Annual conference of the International Association of Medical Geologists, Nigerian chapter which holds in UI.
This research is already bringing more collaborations for me.
How I wish I could be at the event I got the invite but distance and time won't allow me. Good work bro. My research interest is in Hydrogeology

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by guiddoti: 5:15pm On Dec 12, 2018
udi2111:
Hello house, does is Bsc considered when applying for a PhD.
B.Eng Electrical engineering
MSC information technology
I intend pursuing a PHD in information technology. I just want to know if I will be considered since my Bsc is in electrical engineering.
Sure, both are considered for admission, but predominantly, your master's degree should go inline with your PhD.

It seems to me that both are inline.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by ensamy(m): 5:31pm On Dec 12, 2018
I have a Bachelor's degree in Biomedical Sciences and M.Sc in Medical microbiology and Parasitology with CGPA of 4.20.
I intend starting PhD but getting a supervisor overseas in my field has been challenging. I am interested to work on an aspect of Malaria that has to do with Multiple insecticide resistance of Anopheles gambianse s.s .
Gurus in the house, ur advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by ensamy(m): 5:46pm On Dec 12, 2018
wip7:

Consider the following to make your publishing journey feasible:

1. Identify the research you will work on
2. Consider reading at least 30 reputable articles and some books as secondary sources (literature review)
3. Focus on both the theoretical model, hypothesis and methodology
4. Formulate your research title and work on study area/respondent or primary data sources.

Below, I will provide some brief intro to your quest

How to Determine Sample Size

Before you can calculate a sample size, you need to determine some parameters as described below:

1. Population Size — How many total people fit your demographic? For instance, if you want to know about mothers living in the US, your population size would be the total number of mothers living in the US. Not all populations sizes need to be this large. Even if your population size is small, just know who fits into your demographics. Don’t worry if you are unsure about this exact number. It is common for the population to be unknown or approximated between two educated guesses.

2. Margin of Error (Confidence Interval) — No sample will be perfect, so you must decide how much error to allow. The confidence interval determines how much higher or lower than the population mean you are willing to let your sample mean fall. If you’ve ever seen a political poll on the news, you’ve seen a confidence interval. For example, it will look something like this: “68% of voters said yes to Proposition Z, with a margin of error of +/- 5%.”

3. Confidence Level — How confident do you want to be that the actual mean falls within your confidence interval? The most common confidence intervals are 90% confident, 95% confident, and 99% confident.

4. Standard of Deviation — How much variance do you expect in your responses? Since you haven’t actually administered your survey yet, the safe decision is to use 0.5.

Calculating Sample Size
You can use the expression below to estimate your sample size:

Sample Size = (Z-score)2 * StdDev*(1-StdDev) / (margin of error)2

Your confidence level corresponds to a Z-score. This is a constant value needed for this equation. Here are the z-scores for the most common confidence levels:

90% – Z Score = 1.645
95% – Z Score = 1.96
99% – Z Score = 2.576

Here is an example of how the math works assuming you chose a 95% confidence level, 0.5 standard deviation, and a margin of error (confidence interval) of +/- 5%.

((1.96)2 x .5(.5)) / (.05)2
(3.8416 x .25) / .0025
.9604 / .0025

=384.16

385 respondents are needed

Thanks

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by bilal4riid(m): 11:39pm On Dec 13, 2018
Good day prof. wip7.
i hope you are doing well in good health, may God continue to reward you for the good work.
i wish to request for your previous work on S. cerevisiea, thanks

''In one of my researches, I had isolated 3 different S. cerevisiae nucleotides, however, we found that Candida tropicalis F0-5 exhibited rapid catalytic activity compared to the commonly used C8-5 ''.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by fatsonm: 9:40am On Dec 14, 2018
I am so glad to have found this thread. I have been motivated by the profs and Dr's in the house.. You guys have stirred up the research interests in me.

B.Agric Animal Science (completed)
Msc and PhD(in-view)

Skills : I am an intermediate-level user of SPSS,SAS.

Research areas: Animal products and/or meat science!

Any advice for me? prof @wip7
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 3:48pm On Dec 14, 2018
fatsonm:
I am so glad to have found this thread. I have been motivated by the profs and Dr's in the house.. You guys have stirred up the research interests in me.

B.Agric Animal Science (completed)
Msc and PhD(in-view)

Skills : I am an intermediate-level user of SPSS,SAS.

Research areas: Animal products and/or meat science!

Any advice for me? prof @wip7

Nice research area. Kindly enhance your skills in statistical optimization and polymeric/inorganic synthesis (very important).

You may focus on:

1. Biopreservative synthesis for minced meat

2. Synthesis of edible polymeric materials as active food packaging for meat products

3. Fabrication of nanofluids/particles as antimicrobial coatings for meat packages

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by fatsonm: 4:04pm On Dec 14, 2018
wip7:
How to Find Reputable Journals from respected and Standard Publishing Houses

In continuation of Steps to Publishing in a Reputable Journal posted in some pages back, I like to show the young scholars how to find reputable journals.

Again, for any journals, the authors must first check that the Journals have the following metrics:

1. Must be peer-reviewed Journal

2. Belong to either of these: SCI/SCIE, SSCI, AHCI, Institute for Scientific Information/Web of Science (ISI/WOS), Medical citation index (MCI), Emerging Sources Citation Index (ESCI) (this is very new).

3. Must have verified impact factor or cite score

Below are how to find journals from reputable publisher like Springer. First follow the steps by typing the web address, then write few words in your title and select the subject area. Bunch of journals and their information including acceptance rate, impacta factor, journal name details will be shown to you. Then you can read the aim and scope to see if it fits your research or visit some pages back where I have explained what to do.

To be continued!

Hello prof wip 7. I searched a journal according to procedures you highlighted from springer....but unfortunately they ask charges for publication. What could be wrong?

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 5:06pm On Dec 14, 2018
fatsonm:

Hello prof wip 7. I searched a journal according to procedures you highlighted from springer....but unfortunately they ask charges for publication. What could be wrong?

The charges may not be for regular publication may be open access format of the journal...May I know name of the journal you want ?

Also, take note ALL springer NATURE journals are open access hence they charge. This is different from SPRINGER JOURNALS with subscription based journals!

If you can’t find in springer, please visit Elservier journals or tell me area you want to publish I can suggest reputable free journals for you!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by fatsonm: 5:09pm On Dec 14, 2018
wip7:

Nice research area. Kindly enhance your skills in statistical optimization and polymeric/inorganic synthesis (very important).

You may focus on:

1. Biopreservative synthesis for minced meat

2. Synthesis of edible polymeric materials as active food packaging for meat products

3. Fabrication of nanofluids/particles as antimicrobial coatings for meat packages
Thanks alot prof. I will contact you via your e-mail for some personal questions i have. Thanks oncr again.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by fatsonm: 5:13pm On Dec 14, 2018
wip7:

The charges may not be for regular publication may be open access format of the journal...May I know name of the journal you want ?

Also, take note ALL springer NATURE journals are open access hence they charge. This is different from SPRINGER JOURNALS with subscription based journals!

If you can’t find in springer, please visit Elservier journals or tell me area you want to publish I can suggest reputable free journals for you!

The name of the journal is Journal of Animal Science And Biotecnology..

I want to publish on the Area of meat product &processing!
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 10:13am On Dec 17, 2018
fatsonm:

The name of the journal is Journal of Animal Science And Biotecnology..

I want to publish on[b] the Area of meat product &processing[/b]!

You can publish in the following Reputable Journals free of charge

1. Food Research International (SCI and Impact factor of 3.52)

2. Meat Science (SCI and Impact factor of 2.81)

3. Trends in Food Science & Technology (SCI and impact factor of 6.61)

4. Food Chemistry (SCI and impact factor of 4.94)

5. Food Control (SCI and impact factor of 3.66)

6. The Brazilian Journal of Infectious Diseases (SCI and impact factor of 2.08)

7. Food and Chemical Toxicology (SCI and impact factor of 3.97)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 10:15am On Dec 17, 2018
bilal4riid:
Good day prof. wip7.
i hope you are doing well in good health, may God continue to reward you for the good work.
i wish to request for your previous work on S. cerevisiea, thanks

''In one of my researches, I had isolated 3 different S. cerevisiae nucleotides, however, we found that Candida tropicalis F0-5 exhibited rapid catalytic activity compared to the commonly used C8-5 ''.

This is a project work submitted under sponsored funding organization ...you may ask for specific details.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 10:27am On Dec 17, 2018
My Recent 2019 Publication: The use of porous magnetic resins for phenol recovery for medical uses

Here, porous magnetic resins were synthesized via a simple co-precipitation technique and applied for recovery of two types of phenolics. Natural phenolic compounds play an important role in cancer prevention and treatment. Phenolic compounds from medicinal herbs and dietary plants include phenolic acids, flavonoids, tannins, etc and are responsible for their chemopreventive properties (e.g., antioxidant, anticarcinogenic, or antimutagenic and anti-inflammatory effects).

Work published in the International Journal of Biological Macromolecules and SCI journal of Q1 and impact factor of 3.909.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by YemziAdez(m): 2:32pm On Dec 17, 2018
wip7:
My Recent 2019 Publication: The use of porous magnetic resins for phenol recovery for medical uses

Here, porous magnetic resins were synthesized via a simple co-precipitation technique and applied for recovery of two types of phenolics. Natural phenolic compounds play an important role in cancer prevention and treatment. Phenolic compounds from medicinal herbs and dietary plants include phenolic acids, flavonoids, tannins, etc and are responsible for their chemopreventive properties (e.g., antioxidant, anticarcinogenic, or antimutagenic and anti-inflammatory effects).

Work published in the International Journal of Biological Macromolecules and SCI journal of Q1 and impact factor of 3.909.

Lovely Sir!

More publications Prof.

I'll follow through on Researchgate.

3 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by adewale4jesus: 3:34pm On Dec 17, 2018
Can a first class graduate go for PhD directly in Nigeria
Re: Thread For PHD Students by fatsonm: 6:43pm On Dec 17, 2018
wip7:

Kudos prof... Continue to good works!More exlpoits

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by fatsonm: 6:46pm On Dec 17, 2018
wip7:

Thanks prof! I apprecaite...
I sent you a mail, pls check sir!

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 7:57pm On Dec 17, 2018
adewale4jesus:
Can a first class graduate go for PhD directly in Nigeria

Yes, UNN I think has such opportunity. Do your findings
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 7:04am On Dec 18, 2018
fatsonm:

Thanks prof! I apprecaite...
I sent you a mail, pls check sir!

Ok would check and respond!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by topearos(m): 10:17am On Dec 18, 2018
topearos:

**https:///4EFUZL5SjI5CaWhnBYyRKm

Ignite Edu consult is a Nigeria based Educational consulting group dedicated to:

- providing Educational advisory and consultancy (career discovery, counseling, mentoring and development events and workshops).

- Providing general school services to prospective school owners (feasibility studies and general school set up tips).

-We also help students seeking international admission (Self - funding or partial scholarship) in making their dreams of studying abroad a reality.

Contact us today:

+2348066072646 (WhatsApp only)

igniteeduconsult@gmail.com

like our page on facebook and linkedIn
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Profeme: 9:57am On Dec 19, 2018
wip7:

Please prof can you help me with free computer science jourmals that I can publiah my articles

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by subcbouy: 3:20pm On Dec 21, 2018
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Ezilytina(f): 12:29am On Dec 22, 2018
wip7:

Good day wip7, please can you recommend me to free education or educational foundation journals that I can publish my articles. Thanks
Re: Thread For PHD Students by clementbiola(m): 5:08pm On Jan 02, 2019
Dear prof.
I want to publish some part of my master work. It deals with anti-termatic activity of some tropical work. Pls I need a free journal for it
Re: Thread For PHD Students by olaarie(m): 8:19pm On Jan 02, 2019
Good day house.

HND Physics/Electronics IMT, Enugu,
BSc Physics/Electronics OOU, Ago-Iwoye
MSc Physics (Radiation Physics) OOU, Ago-Iwoye
PhD Physics (in view) UKZN, South Africa

Pls suggest reputable free Physics Journal for me.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by ready4glory: 4:55pm On Jan 07, 2019
Hello, I've been silently following this thread since 2015, during my service year, and it feels buzzing to be able to comment now.

B.A.
M.A.
PhD. (in-view)

I'm looking at 'International migration, migrant integration and sense of indebtedness'. My research site is in Edmonton, and hopefully very soon, I'll proceed to the field.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Kryfori001: 5:48pm On Jan 07, 2019
Good day guys and it's a pleasure to be here

I'm actually a graduate of chemical engineering and vying for a direct PhD position in the following region (US, Canada and Germany ) with US of major priority.
However, my major challenge is choosing a promising research interest applicable to both industries and academia. My research of interest includes
Process system engineering
Energy sustainability
Environmental Engineering and
Material science

Thus, I would like to get responses from experienced guys in order to know the best choice to explore. Thanks
Re: Thread For PHD Students by AAI2019: 11:32am On Jan 08, 2019
hello every body. new member
Re: Thread For PHD Students by AAI2019: 12:08pm On Jan 08, 2019
prof wip7
i sent you a mail
thank you sir

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) ... (105) (Reply)

2018/2019 Admission Process Thread Guide / 2016/2017 UTME And Admission Process Thread / Apply for 2018/2019 PTDF Scholarship in Germany/France/China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.