Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:43 AM

Thread For PHD Students - Education (61) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Thread For PHD Students (326017 Views)

Which University In Nigeria or abroad Accepts 3.0 Msc Grade For Phd Admission? / 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not / Presidential Scholarship Scheme For Ist Class Nigerian Graduates For Phd Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) ... (105) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For PHD Students by babyfaceafrica: 1:21pm On Nov 01, 2019
Godsknight:
sir, you are really doing a great work. I had MSc in Operations management from Business Administration, university of Benin. I plan to start my PhD next year but I want to get my research topic ready before I apply. pls I need you to suggest a research topic for me in procurement or logistic management. I learnt Business Administration department, Ahmadu Bello university are not taking postgraduate students serious. I need someone to suggest any other federal universities in the north to run the program within three to four years.
unimaid,udus
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Godsknight(m): 1:37pm On Nov 01, 2019
babyfaceafrica:
unimaid,udus
those places are really far from kaduna. I intend to relocate to kaduna very soon. what about unijos, Tafawa balewa university, bauchi?
Re: Thread For PHD Students by babyfaceafrica: 1:40pm On Nov 01, 2019
Godsknight:
those places are really far from kaduna. I intend to relocate to kaduna very soon. what about unijos, Tafawa balewa university, bauchi?
try NDA
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Godsknight(m): 1:44pm On Nov 01, 2019
babyfaceafrica:
try NDA
I went through their website, they dont have PhD in Business Administration
Re: Thread For PHD Students by speakout2015: 4:18pm On Nov 01, 2019
Definately I will Prof. The platform has added to me positively...I have to give back as well...Thanks so much!
wip7:

Thank you also for your contribution!....the thread will need your support regarding your challenge in terms of research, area of research and how others can learn, scholarship opportunities and anything!

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by TadeDetule: 8:33pm On Nov 02, 2019
Adsorptive Treatment of Heavy metal-contaminated water using Sawdust (biomass)

This sounds interesting. You can follow these steps and may modify them to suit your need. You will need to divide the entire work into 6 stages:

Stage 1
1. Sampling: a collection of the water samples at different sources/spots within the research zone/site.
2. Analyzing the heavy metal content of the water samples before treatment (record the concentrations and focus on the most prevalent heavy metal)
3. Storage of the water samples for further use.

Stage 2
1. Collection of adsorbent (sawdust) samples
2. Pretreatment of the sawdusts (washing with distilled water, drying and pulverized to uniform particle size) and label each (example S1, S2, S3)
3. EDTA functionalization of the S1, S2, S3 to produce heavy-metal selective adsorbent which can be named S1-EDTA, S2-EDTA and S3-EDTA.
Note: You will have 6 samples (Functionalized sawdust and raw pre-treated sawdust)
4. Pulverized all the samples (adsorbents) to a uniform size (note down the size)

Stage 3
Characterization: each adsorbent sample must be characterized. These are common characterization you can do:
a. Proximate/ultimate analysis
b. Boehm analysis
c. pH Point zero charge determination/zeta potential determination
d. Surface area (BET), pore volume and pore distribution
e. FTIR, SEM, TGA

Stage 4
Batch Adsorption process: here consider varying the following parameters for each adsorbent
a. adsorbate pH
b. adsorbent dosage
c. Treatment temperature

Stage 5
1.Kinetics (varying the treatment time): Consider fitting your data into pseudo-first order, second order, Elovich, intra-particle diffusion etc.
2. Isotherm (Varying adsorbate concentration): Consider fitting your data into Langmuir, Freundlich, Redlich-Peterson, Temkin etc
3. Thermodynamic study (obtained from the temperature change)

Stage 6
Desorption, regeneration and recycling of the spent adsorbents
Economic and cost-benefit analysis regarding the treatment tech.
Comparative performance of your adsorbents and reported adsorbents for heavy metal removal

NOTE:
Functionalizing with EDTA will be useful to compare the performance of the adsorbent. by comparing the concentration of the heavy metals before treatment to after the treatment. Why EDTA? See below:

EDTA is a chemical that binds and chelates metals such as chromium, iron, lead, mercury, copper, aluminium, nickel, zinc, calcium, cobalt, manganese, and magnesium from water......and when they are bound, they can't have any effects and they are removed from the water.

If that's my master student above steps are what I will give.....please visit Science directly to find suitable articles to support you. Also, you can email me, I will send you some of my recent top-quality journals of adsorption treatment of heavy meta

Hello bros. You talked about Turkish govt paying publishers. Does this apply for Cuprus schools alone or with Turkish Universities too abeg?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by TadeDetule: 8:35pm On Nov 02, 2019
Abeg bros, does money for publications apply for schools in Turkey too?
wip7:

I am happy the information is useful. Thanks for the contribution to this thread also!
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 6:16am On Nov 03, 2019
TadeDetule:

Hello bros. You talked about Turkish govt paying publishers. Does this apply for Cyprus schools alone or with Turkish Universities too abeg?
TadeDetule:
Abeg bros, does money for publications apply for schools in Turkey too?

Yes, the universities in Turkey even enjoy more funding because Turkey is the mainland why Cyprus Island. All reputable papers published from universities in Turkey can get paid.

Reputable means: Your research article must be indexed in either SCI, SSCI, SCi-expanded and must be on WOS (web of science). What they paper per journal depends on the quality and how they qualify journal. The highest pay this year is 15,000TL (950 k Naira) per paper and the lowest is 500 TL.

Also, Turkey gives project funding to Universities in Turkey and Cyprus. In 2015, I got this project funding which I designed magnetic resins to recover valuable from Mediterranean sea....Now they give around 720,000TL (roughly 45 million naira) yearly for up to 3 years.

Are you studying in Turkey? if yes apply via Tubitak!

Best wishes!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by TadeDetule: 4:30pm On Nov 03, 2019
This is jaw-dropping ooo. Yeah, I am studying in Turkey but then I heard you can only apply through your supervisor before one could get funded by Tubitak. Someone even said its mainly for nationals. There is really a mixed description of everything jare.
wip7:

Yes, the universities in Turkey even enjoy more funding because Turkey is the mainland why Cyprus Island. All reputable papers published from universities in Turkey can get paid.

Reputable means: Your research article must be indexed in either SCI, SSCI, SCi-expanded and must be on WOS (web of science). What they paper per journal depends on the quality and how they qualify journal. The highest pay this year is 15,000TL (950 k Naira) per paper and the lowest is 500 TL.

Also, Turkey gives project funding to Universities in Turkey and Cyprus. In 2015, I got this project funding which I designed magnetic resins to recover valuable from Mediterranean sea....Now they give around 720,000TL (roughly 45 million naira) yearly for up to 3 years.

Are you studying in Turkey? if yes apply via Tubitak!

Best wishes!
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 4:38pm On Nov 03, 2019
TadeDetule:
This is jaw-dropping ooo. Yeah, I am studying in Turkey but then I heard you can only apply through your supervisor before one could get funded by Tubitak. Someone even said its mainly for nationals. There is really a mixed description of everything jare.

There is no nationality clause. Anybody can get this funding and also get paid by TUBITAK irrespective of the nationality. To get paid for the publication by TUBITAK you don’t need anybody to apply through, you only need your published paper and bank account detail as simple as ABC....do you have any published paper now if yes, I can guide you how to get the money too simple....

Last 2 months I got 33,000 TL directly paid to my account while i was even teaching in Canada.

Do you have any published paper, tell me
The name of the journal I will tell you how much you will be paid ...

To be funded by TUBITAK, there are lots of funding that TUBITAK gives, you just need to see the one that suits your skills and qualifications. Although, TUBITAK 1001 you have to be Phd holder to be considered, so your supervisor can apply and then take any student to work on the project and you get paid monthly.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by TadeDetule: 5:00pm On Nov 03, 2019
You are such a good guide here. No one is telling us all these here. I am in Nigde Omer Halisdemir University. All they keep telling us is just to write reviews and submit to them. I don't have one yet. The one I have has been published before I left Nigeria. I plan to put up something reasonable from my Master's thesis before the year runs out though.
wip7:

There is no nationality clause. Anybody can get this funding and also get paid by TUBITAK irrespective of the nationality. To get paid for the publication by TUBITAK you don’t need anybody to apply through you only need your published paper and bank account detail as simple as ABC....do you have any published paper now if yes, I can guide you how to get the money too simple....

Last 2 months I got paid 33,000 TL directly paid to my account while i was evening teaching in Canada.

Do you have any published paper, tell me
The name of the journal I will tell you how much you will be paid ...

To be funded by TUBITAK, there are lots of funding that TUBITAK gives, you just need to see the one that suits your skills and qualifications. Although, TUBITAK 1001 you have to be Phd holder to be considered, so your supervisor can apply and then take any student to work on the project and you get paid monthly.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 8:15pm On Nov 03, 2019
TadeDetule:
You are such a good guide here. No one is telling us all these here. I am in Nigde Omer Halisdemir University. All they keep telling us is just to write reviews and submit to them. I don't have one yet. The one I have has been published before I left Nigeria. I plan to put up something reasonable from my Master's thesis before the year runs out though.

Alright, try to publish in a quality SCI/SSCI journal....then register with Tubitak ULAKBİM....you will get your publication paid.

Best wishes!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by TadeDetule: 2:43pm On Nov 04, 2019
Thank you so much. I will surely get back
wip7:

Alright, try to publish in a quality SCI/SSCI journal....then register with Tubitak ULAKBİM....you will get your publication paid.

Best wishes!

Re: Thread For PHD Students by godwinizu: 4:48pm On Nov 04, 2019
Greetings to this great house,

I did my first degree in Animal Science in FUTO, just rounded up MSc in Animal Breeding and Genetics in UI, even though I am applying for PhD in some schools abroad, I still would want to apply to a Nigerian school and I am considering UNN.

Does any one have a first hand information about PhD program in UNN? If yes, I will like to share in your knowledge please.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 5:13pm On Nov 04, 2019
Good Day Prof. WIP,

I recently concluded my master's program(production engineering, industrial option) while my bachelor's from the dept of mechanical engineering. I will be applying for my PhD (Industrial engineering). How 'll I sort out for topics; I need something related to the production industries and where can I get guidelines on publishing journals. Thank You
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 5:20pm On Nov 04, 2019
wip7:

Best wishes!

I have a friend who has over 70 publications who doesn't know about this. Wow

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 10:42am On Nov 05, 2019
BiggyB242:

I have a friend who has over 70 publications who doesn't know about this. Wow

The publication must be reputable (must be SCI, SSCl, WOS).

Since in this particular case, we are talking about Turkey, only researchers with Turkish affiliation or where there articles carry Turkey as address are paid and funded.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 10:45am On Nov 05, 2019
BiggyB242:
Good Day Prof. WIP,

I recently concluded my master's program(production engineering, industrial option) while my bachelor's from the dept of mechanical engineering. I will be applying for my PhD (Industrial engineering). How 'll I sort out for topics; I need something related to the production industries and where can I get guidelines on publishing journals. Thank You

Read more on my write up in this particular thread, you will find where have mentioned how to find topics yourself.

PhD is about research and intending Phd student or Phd candidate must be capable of doing searches.....for some hints, visit sciencedirect to find latest and upcoming challenges in your field and the solutions s being provided and the missing links!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 11:03am On Nov 05, 2019
wip7:

Read more on my write up in this particular thread, you will find where have mentioned how to find topics yourself.

PhD is about research and intending Phd student or Phd candidate must be capable of doing searches.....for some hints, visit sciencedirect to find latest and upcoming challenges in your field and the solitons being provided and the missing links!

You are absolutely right, I will do exactly what you have said. Thank You.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 11:06am On Nov 05, 2019
wip7:

The publication must be reputable (must be SCI, SSCl, WOS).

Since in this particular case, we are talking about Turkey, only researchers with Turkish affiliation or where there articles carry Turkey as address are paid and funded.

Thank you sir, I will find out from him. How about in a case when it is SCI, SSCI, WOS, but Turkey affiliated?

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by benji93: 12:05am On Nov 06, 2019
Hello Bros. Master's student at Bilkent here .Completed my Bsc at ODTU. Note: I may not be well equipped to provide a more informative advice, but i am doing thos anyway. To the best of my knowledge the choice of students for project largely depends on the project coordinator's exposure-past experiences, including education, and their mode of recruitment .At ODTU for instance some professors usually have at least a project under their coordination at a particular point in time and recruit student researchers from a course they offered some semesters prior. Since the number of student researchers allowed for these Tubitak projects is limited, the spaces get filled up by students-local or foreign- from the feeder system, unless the project is in collaboration with the ministry of defence. So there is a chance that admission of a foreign student into an Msc program won't come with the financial benefit of working on a Tubitak projects, or there won't be an opportunity to get on a Tubitak project. They could get it along the line though depending on the educational relationship a foreign student establshes with his/her advisor. Honestly the number of Tubitak projects awarded to each institution depends on the quality of research conducted at that institution, hence the research productivity of researchers. It also depends on the research area. So the smaller the number of Tubitak projects available the lesser the likelihood of you getting a Tubitak project to work on. Establishing a good student-professor relationship could prove vital, although some of the professors don't care. They would still take their countrymen over you. grin. But honestly, generally at the graduate level, research output of potential Supervisor should be the most input in deciding where to pursue graduate work. Keep working and strive make your Supervisor aware of your research potential. They might just get you onboard one of their Tubitak projects. I hope you get what you want. @wip7 , you remember me from North Cyprus travel? I hail ooo, keep up the good work Prof.
TadeDetule:
Re: Thread For PHD Students by TadeDetule: 6:30pm On Nov 06, 2019
Yeah you get the point bro. I just got here a month ago though and I am trying my best too about the relationship thing. But then I found out too that they dont seem to like you showing them a too know attitude. Maybe my bad sha.....I would not know....
benji93:
Hello Bros. Master's student at Bilkent here .Completed my Bsc at ODTU. Note: I may not be well equipped to provide a more informative advice, but i am doing thos anyway. To the best of my knowledge the choice of students for project largely depends on the project coordinator's exposure-past experiences, including education, and their mode of recruitment .At ODTU for instance some professors usually have at least a project under their coordination at a particular point in time and recruit student researchers from a course they offered some semesters prior. Since the number of student researchers allowed for these Tubitak projects is limited, the spaces get filled up by students-local or foreign- from the feeder system, unless the project is in collaboration with the ministry of defence. So there is a chance that admission of a foreign student into an Msc program won't come with the financial benefit of working on a Tubitak projects, or there won't be an opportunity to get on a Tubitak project. They could get it along the line though depending on the educational relationship a foreign student establshes with his/her advisor. Honestly the number of Tubitak projects awarded to each institution depends on the quality of research conducted at that institution, hence the research productivity of researchers. It also depends on the research area. So the smaller the number of Tubitak projects available the lesser the likelihood of you getting a Tubitak project to work on. Establishing a good student-professor relationship could prove vital, although some of the professors don't care. They would still take their countrymen over you. grin. But honestly, generally at the graduate level, research output of potential Supervisor should be the most input in deciding where to pursue graduate work. Keep working and strive make your Supervisor aware of your research potential. They might just get you onboard one of their Tubitak projects. I hope you get what you want. @wip7 , you remember me from North Cyprus travel? I hail ooo, keep up the good work Prof.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by mustyy: 8:13pm On Nov 06, 2019
Theo025:

Greetings Prof @Wip7 and everyone in this thread. Sir I must confessed that your contributions to this thread has been highly motivational and charging. I am a prospective MSc student (Forestry and Wood Science) as I have been admitted but resuming next year. Currently I am volunteering as an intern with my undergraduate supervisor because I am really interested in research. I will like to ask questions based on this but I will like to say it is not a PhD research work but BSc for one of my supervisor's student. He is working on a topic which looks similar to this. He is working on removal of heavy metal in contaminated water using 3 different species of sawdust. He is working on batch adsorption system and he is collecting real water waste. He is using AAS to detect the heavy metals and removing the predominant one. I am interested in the work and I will like to get your advise on the experimental procedures as I wish to contribute to the work and learn from it.

Thank you in advance sir
Good day Prof Wip7, the guidance and educative information you are offering on this platform is highly commendable. May God help you also. I am a prospective PhD student in Environmental Engineering, with research interest on Water supply and waste waste treatment. Hoping to study in Turkish universities. Please I will be happy if I can get some of your publushed articles on adsorption of water treatment using agro based materials to my mail: mohammedmusty88@gmail.com.

Thank you Professor
Re: Thread For PHD Students by goodmanEU: 10:49am On Nov 07, 2019
Hi All and wip7 ,

How do i know a reputable journal?

Is this journal a trusted one with real impact factor : Merit Research Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences (MRJMMS)
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 5:29pm On Nov 08, 2019
mustyy:
Good day Prof Wip7, the guidance and educative information you are offering on this platform is highly commendable. May God help you also. I am a prospective PhD student in Environmental Engineering, with research interest on Water supply and waste waste treatment. Hoping to study in Turkish universities. Please I will be happy if I can get some of your publushed articles on adsorption of water treatment using agro based materials to my mail: mohammedmusty88@gmail.com.

Thank you Professor

Thank you...you will have them shortly!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 5:31pm On Nov 08, 2019
goodmanEU:
Hi All and wip7 ,

How do i know a reputable journal?

Is this journal a trusted one with real impact factor : Merit Research Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences (MRJMMS)

Read one-two pages back, I have provided means to know a reputable journals.

Best wishes

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by ejiykzazi2007(m): 4:00pm On Nov 10, 2019
Please house, I need help...
Part of the application requirements for PhD in the school I intend to run the program state that I submit an abstract of the proposed topic I am interested in. My idea of abstract is that it is brief summary of the entire work. So how do I summarise a work that I have not started?

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by mustyy: 6:14pm On Nov 10, 2019
Good day prof wip7, sir I haven't received the published works (adsorption method of water treatment using agro waste) yet. My interested research area for PhD.
Thank you

mohammedmusty88@gmail.com
wip7:

Thank you...you will have them shortly!
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 11:26am On Nov 11, 2019
mustyy:
Good day prof wip7, sir I haven't received the published works (adsorption method of water treatment using agro waste) yet. My interested research area for PhD.
Thank you

mohammedmusty88@gmail.com

Please check your email. I have sent you about 35 of my SCI publications related to wastewater treatment.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 11:40am On Nov 11, 2019
ejiykzazi2007:
Please house, I need help...
Part of the application requirements for PhD in the school I intend to run the program state that I submit an abstract of the proposed topic I am interested in. My idea of the abstract is that it is brief summary of the entire work. So how do I summarise a work that I have not started?

Yeah, an abstract is the summarized version of the literature review, methodology applied, results, trend and quantitative conclusions.

In your case, kindly supply them with 200-400 words if there is no word count:

The abstract can be structured in three parts:

1. The first part is the introduction section, give the background, the global and specific issues, and the hypothesis (about 3-4 sentences). This should take 40%.

2. The second part abstracts: the proposed/frequently used methodology for data gathering, give a brief overview of the proposed sampling/methods and techniques to use in gathering your data (about 2-4 sentences). This part should take 50% of the abstract.

3. The third part abstracts: the Proposed solution you intend to provide to the challenges/issues in the first part. This should take 10% of the abstract.

Best wishes!

5 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by goodmanEU: 7:48pm On Nov 11, 2019
Can we discuss how to hunt, apply and get selected for oversea PHD scholarship with funding?

3 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by mustyy: 10:15pm On Nov 11, 2019
Good day prof wip 7, I have seen the mail Thank you, but it seems like I cannot access it/ is not opening. Sorry for disturbing sir, should you please resend it. Thank you so much.
wip7:

Please check your email. I have sent you about 35 of my SCI publications related to wastewater treatment.

(1) (2) (3) ... (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) ... (105) (Reply)

2018/2019 Admission Process Thread Guide / 2016/2017 UTME And Admission Process Thread / Apply for 2018/2019 PTDF Scholarship in Germany/France/China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.