Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,213 members, 7,815,237 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:27 AM

Thread For PHD Students - Education (96) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Thread For PHD Students (326625 Views)

Which University In Nigeria or abroad Accepts 3.0 Msc Grade For Phd Admission? / 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not / Presidential Scholarship Scheme For Ist Class Nigerian Graduates For Phd Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) ... (105) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 8:24am On Dec 24, 2021
MrAmaechi:
Yes. Natural Language Processing.
In my MSc, I applied data mining techniques on Nigerian sentiment. Basically it was on extracting sentiment analysis from Nigerian tweets as regards the administration of Willie Obiano of Anambra State Nigeria.

I propose to do is to develop a speech recognition tool, which transcribes clinicians’ speech into an electronic health record. Preferably local Nigerian language.

What do you think?

So you will do voice to text right ? How much Word Error Rate are you looking at ?

It’s fantastic project, you just need to keep training the data. I think if you will go to several local languages then due to accent in different region you may be working to get lots of voices to ensure the WER is quite low.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by lecturer50(m): 10:37am On Dec 28, 2021
Please I want to verify something here.

If you are doing Masters or PhD, it is expected that you publish your work before you progress to the next level.

Maybe you need to publish 1 journal to progress from proposal to first seminar.

So, if you put your supervisor's name first and then your own name second, it means your supervisor is the author of the journal.

Will it still count as journal to progress to the next level?

Please those who are in the system should enlighten me.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 6:07pm On Dec 28, 2021
lecturer50:

If you are doing Masters or PhD, it is expected that you publish your work before you progress to the next level.

I’m not familiar with the system or the levels you described. Publication is optional for a master's program, as far as I know. While in a PhD school where I studied overseas, you must have at least 1 or 2 reputable publications before you may graduate, not by level or seminar.

So, if you put your supervisor's name first and then your own name second, it means your supervisor is the author of the journal.

No. That isn't what it means at all! The authors of the published paper are all listed in the paper. However, the sequence of names is determined by the university and most organizations, with the first author being the primary author, followed by the second, and so on. It also matters who is the corresponding author. In a nutshell, all names in a published paper are the authors.

While studying, any credible publications bearing your name are taken into account, regardless of the number of names in the article or the order in which they are listed. Several universities, on the other hand, prohibit two authors from using the same paper for the same purpose. For example, author A uses the same paper to graduate, and author B uses the same paper to graduate as well.

Best wishes!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by lecturer50(m): 7:53pm On Dec 28, 2021
wip7:

I’m not familiar with the system or the levels you described. Publication is optional for a master's program, as far as I know. While in a PhD school where I studied overseas, you must have at least 1 or 2 reputable publications before you may graduate, not by level or seminar.

No. That isn't what it means at all! The authors of the published paper are all listed in the paper. However, the sequence of names is determined by the university and most organizations, with the first author being the primary author, followed by the second, and so on. It also matters who is the corresponding author. In a nutshell, all names in a published paper are the authors.

While studying, any credible publications bearing your name are taken into account, regardless of the number of names in the article or the order in which they are listed. Several universities, on the other hand, prohibit two authors from using the same paper for the same purpose. For example, author A uses the same paper to graduate, and author B uses the same paper to graduate as well.

Best wishes!

Thank you Sir for the clarification and the answer.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by ChiefBee: 8:52pm On Dec 29, 2021
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 3:22am On Dec 30, 2021
ChiefBee:
Good evening. Please can a graduate of Human Resource Management apply for a lecturing job in the department of Business education?

Such person can always apply and let the selection team decide based on whatever criteria they have.

There’s no harm in applying!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by KelvinCoaster(m): 7:27am On Dec 30, 2021
lecturer50:

Most Federal Universities in Nigeria,depending on the department would prefer to admit an applicant into Ph.D who has at least 1 publication from an MSc.
However,progressing from proposal to first seminar does not compulsorily demand that you publish an article.Your Supervisor is a major determinant here,his/her views matter!

On the question of order of names on a published work: This greatly depends on the Journal. Read the Author's Guide to understand how each Journal stipulates 'name arrangement'.
In support of Wip7's earlier submission, all the names on a published work are all considered as Authors of such work!

Good luck to you!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by KelvinCoaster(m): 7:38am On Dec 30, 2021
ChiefBee:
Good evening. Please can a graduate of Human Resource Management apply for a lecturing job in the department of Business education?
It is advisable to visit the Department of Business Education where you intend to apply and make a direct enquiry!

If they have modules on Human Resource Education or Management in their curriculum, authoritatively,you stand a good chance.

Good luck to you!
Re: Thread For PHD Students by ChiefBee: 4:22pm On Dec 30, 2021
wip7:

Such person can always apply and let the selection team decide based on whatever criteria they have.

There’s no harm in applying!
Thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate
Re: Thread For PHD Students by ChiefBee: 4:27pm On Dec 30, 2021
KelvinCoaster:

It is advisable to visit the Department of Business Education where you intend to apply and make a direct enquiry!

If they have modules on Human Resource Education or Management in their curriculum, authoritatively,you stand a good chance.

Good luck to you!
Thank you very much sir. I appreciate. Your reply gave me vim lol. I already applied for a Graduate Assistant position without making inquiries. I pray for the best. And yes, I accept the good luck smiley cos I really need it. And good luck to you too in anything you do. Thank you once again for your reply.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by KelvinCoaster(m): 4:34pm On Dec 30, 2021
ChiefBee:
Thank you very much sir. I appreciate. Your reply gave me vim lol. I already applied as a Graduate Assistant without making inquiries. I pray for the best. And yes, I accept the good luck smiley cos I really need it. And good luck to you too in anything you do. Thank you once again for your reply.
Thank you!
Re: Thread For PHD Students by lecturer50(m): 9:27pm On Dec 30, 2021
KelvinCoaster:

Most Federal Universities in Nigeria,depending on the department would prefer to admit an applicant into Ph.D who has at least 1 publication from an MSc.
However,progressing from proposal to first seminar does not compulsorily demand that you publish an article.Your Supervisor is a major determinant here,his/her views matter!

On the question of order of names on a published work: This greatly depends on the Journal. Read the Author's Guide to understand how each Journal stipulates 'name arrangement'.
In support of Wip7's earlier submission, all the names on a published work are all considered as Authors of such work!

Good luck to you!

Thanks you my brother.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by UC92: 8:19am On Jan 04, 2022
Happy New year to each and every one of us here.
I have a B.Sc and M.Sc degree in Architecture and I am about to commence a Ph.D in Architecture.

I am yet to see any Ph.D Architecture student here. Please kindly indicate if you are one, I have some pressing questions to ask.

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by iamclime(m): 10:38am On Jan 04, 2022
Is there anyone here pursuing an MSc or PhD in Digital Marketing or E-Marketing/New Media Marketing?
Anyone writing any papers or looking for collaborations?
Re: Thread For PHD Students by oke48(m): 11:36am On Jan 04, 2022
Please house how much is the current visa application fee in Naira? Thanks
Re: Thread For PHD Students by essy4060: 4:32pm On Jan 04, 2022
I am currently enrolled in an MBA program; I intend majoring in marketing.
iamclime:
Is there anyone here pursuing an MSc or PhD in Digital Marketing or E-Marketing/New Media Marketing?
Re: Thread For PHD Students by KelvinCoaster(m): 10:18am On Jan 05, 2022
UC92:
Happy New year to each and every one of us here.
I have a B.Sc and M.Sc degree in Architecture and I am about to commence a Ph.D in Architecture.

I am yet to see any Ph.D Architecture student here. Please kindly indicate if you are one, I have some pressing questions to ask.

Thanks in anticipation.
UC92,

Good to see you here bro!

Ask your 'pressing questions', there are capable hands to answer them here!
Re: Thread For PHD Students by UC92: 4:32pm On Jan 05, 2022
KelvinCoaster:

UC92,

Good to see you here bro!

Ask your 'pressing questions', there are capable hands to answer them here!

Thank you my Oga.

I actually do not know your discipline and others here but I will like to know if the research approach is the same for every discipline.

M.Sc Architecture here in Nigeria is a design based research, where the candidate identifies a problem and proffers Architectural solution to such problem. Usually the Architectural solution comes in the form of a dissertation like every other research work combined with an Architectural design.
For example I worked on "Special Education Centre; A study of wayfinding and circulation in public buildings", at the end the outcome was an Architectural design of a Special Education Centre with the design being able to solve the issue of circulation and wayfinding for the visually impaired and physically challenged persons.

Now, I intend to work on "Adopting sustainable approach to special needs Architecture" for my Ph.D Architecture program, which will commence this year.

What research approach or methodology should I be expected to adopt, I don't know if you get me. Though I understand I will do some coursework before the research proper, I just want to be ahead.

Another question here, can one get funding from the government for the research work, my school is a state school in South East Nigeria.

I really wish to get info from a PhD Architecture holder or a candidate here.

Thank you sir.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by KelvinCoaster(m): 10:16pm On Jan 05, 2022
UC92,

The objective of any research is to collect,organize,analyze,summarize data and to make inference on the data.

Generally, the approach for conducting a research is first to identify the research problem,review literature on the research topic,identify variables and formulation of objectives.

Second,identification and collection of data and sampling of data,then the use of statistical inferences and descriptive statistics.

Finally,results are interpreted and conclusions are made.
The approach is mostly the same for all research work!

On the question of government funding:
You can enquire from your 'professional body' or even the department.They're in the best position to direct you.

Good luck to you!

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by UC92: 6:26pm On Jan 07, 2022
KelvinCoaster:
UC92,

The objective of any research is to collect,organize,analyze,summarize data and to make inference on the data.

Generally, the approach for conducting a research is first to identify the research problem,review literature on the research topic,identify variables and formulation of objectives.

Second,identification and collection of data and sampling of data,then the use of statistical inferences and descriptive statistics.

Finally,results are interpreted and conclusions are made.
The approach is mostly the same for all research work!

On the question of government funding:
You can enquire from your 'professional body' or even the department.They're in the best position to direct you.

Good luck to you!

I really appreciate your response.
Thank you my Oga.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by KelvinCoaster(m): 9:57pm On Jan 07, 2022
UC92:

I really appreciate your response.
Thank you my Oga.
You're welcome!
Re: Thread For PHD Students by MrJaay(m): 10:16pm On Jan 08, 2022
iamclime:

I am pursuing a PhD in Media and Communication.

My ongoing work is on Computational Politics and not exactly Marketing, but, I feel we can come up with something for a new paper.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by iamclime(m): 11:54am On Jan 09, 2022
Great! I'll keep in touch.

I am pursuing a PhD in Media and Communication.

My ongoing work is on Computational Politics and not exactly Marketing, but, I feel we can come up with something for a new paper. [/quote]
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 10:59am On Jan 15, 2022
wip7:
Recent Publication from our lab: on the Application of Machine learning for predicting solar air heater performance

Recently, concerted interests have been directed toward renewable energy conversion systems due to their potential in providing a sustainable future. Solar collectors are widely applied in various thermal equipment for the optimal and efficient utilization of solar energy. In this study, data from uncontrollable input variables were fed into an artificial neural network model to predict the efficiency of the optimized solar air collector, and data were collected over 1 year on the field.

This research illustrates the use of machine learning, artificial neural network to predict performance and to extract valuable information regarding the factors affecting the device.
This is impressive as usual . I can adopt this for my research on bioenergy production.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by SilaV: 1:11am On Jan 16, 2022
Hello Prof WIP7, and everyone in here, I would like to get some insights from you in respect of getting specific research topic from the generic Digital Twin Applications in Supply Chains. My interest is in exploring Digital Twins capabilities in supply chains but I have not been able to wrap my head around the specifics.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by TheLasyBuddha: 2:13pm On Jan 16, 2022
UC92:

Thank you my Oga.

I actually do not know your discipline and others here but I will like to know if the research approach is the same for every discipline.

M.Sc Architecture here in Nigeria is a design based research, where the candidate identifies a problem and proffers Architectural solution to such problem. Usually the Architectural solution comes in the form of a dissertation like every other research work combined with an Architectural design.
For example I worked on "Special Education Centre; A study of wayfinding and circulation in public buildings", at the end the outcome was an Architectural design of a Special Education Centre with the design being able to solve the issue of circulation and wayfinding for the visually impaired and physically challenged persons.

Now, I intend to work on "Adopting sustainable approach to special needs Architecture" for my Ph.D Architecture program, which will commence this year.

What research approach or methodology should I be expected to adopt, I don't know if you get me. Though I understand I will do some coursework before the research proper, I just want to be ahead.

Another question here, can one get funding from the government for the research work, my school is a state school in South East Nigeria.

I really wish to get info from a PhD Architecture holder or a candidate here.

Thank you sir.

Hello,

It's exciting that you hope to pursue a rather progressive topic in your PhD. Not many recent research in the field of architecture is looking towards sustainable development at the core of the work.

In response to your first question, have you thought of your research questions for this topic? I do believe they would guide your methodology or approach. It's one thing to have a tentative topic and another thing to have a drafted proposal, which would guide how you choose to answer your research questions, collect and analyse data and so on.

To your second question, there are very few funding opportunities in Nigeria. Look abroad, my piece of advice. Your topic seem to be interesting and with a good proposal showing your intent, especially solving architectural problems relating to people with special needs, this would receive a lot attention and possibly a funding.

I hope this helps.

Best regards.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by joyousmother2016: 1:37pm On Jan 20, 2022
Is there anyone here that studied building engineering and could refer me to books written on the history of women in Nigeria construction industry?
Re: Thread For PHD Students by UC92: 6:34pm On Jan 20, 2022
TheLasyBuddha:

Hello,

It's exciting that you hope to pursue a rather progressive topic in your PhD. Not many recent research in the field of architecture is looking towards sustainable development at the core of the work.

In response to your first question, have you thought of your research questions for this topic? I do believe they would guide your methodology or approach. It's one thing to have a tentative topic and another thing to have a drafted proposal, which would guide how you choose to answer your research questions, collect and analyse data and so on.

To your second question, there are very few funding opportunities in Nigeria. Look abroad, my piece of advice. Your topic seem to be interesting and with a good proposal showing your intent, especially solving architectural problems relating to people with special needs, this would receive a lot attention and possibly a funding.

I hope this helps.

Best regards.

Thank you for this piece of advice sir.
I have done some background work already from my M.Sc, I hope to leverage on that.

Is there a possibility of going into collaborative research with guys abroad?
Re: Thread For PHD Students by TheLasyBuddha: 10:49am On Jan 22, 2022
UC92:

Thank you for this piece of advice sir.
I have done some background work already from my M.Sc, I hope to leverage on that.

Is there a possibility of going into collaborative research with guys abroad?

Yes. You could look out for studentship opportunities, they offer collaborative research.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by jiggyniga: 7:59pm On Jan 22, 2022
I do data analysis/machine learning /questionnaire analysis and whatever type of analysis tasks at an affordable rate.
DM on awodea@rocketmail.com
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Unigrad: 9:35am On Jan 23, 2022
Meel:

Thanks for this sir.

Diabetes which is a carbohydrate disorder characterized by hyperglycemia due insulin defficiency and resistance leads to many complications. Early diagnosis and proper sequencial therapeutic interventions reduce incidence of complications and increase life expectancy.
I am just seeing this now.
I would have been interested in this project work.
I am also interested in Machine Learning and AI, where can I get a good materials or notes as a beginner?
Thanks for your responses.

Though the treatment plan after diagnosis depends on severity and age, the first line of treatment is change in lifestyle and use of biguanide. After the initial intervention, the response level is checked, if there is a positive response, status quo is maintained but a HBA1c level <7 leads to inclusion of basal insulin, and other hypoglycemic agents to the interventions.

AI now comes in here, it will allow us to know the appropriate therapeutic interventions for each person ( personlised treatment) after diagnosis using a known pattern, instead of more of a trial and error treatment type. We have particular treatment regimen that works for each patient.

The project is a long term cross sectional study. Getting 8000 data set means working with all tertiary healthcare in a geopolitical zone( the average diabetic patient attending endocrinology clinic of a tertiary clinic a years is less than a 1000).
Thanks so much for this sir, i will be involving my colleagues in this, and update you as it progress.

(1) (2) (3) ... (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) ... (105) (Reply)

2018/2019 Admission Process Thread Guide / 2016/2017 UTME And Admission Process Thread / Apply for 2018/2019 PTDF Scholarship in Germany/France/China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.