Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,554 members, 7,955,058 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:43 PM

Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East (26504 Views)

Russian Military War Weapons Will Blow Your Mind ||2015, New Documentary / Superman Soldier Spotted In North East Battle Ground / Prof. Soludo’s Rebuttals Concerning His Latest Political Woes In Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by Melahou(m): 10:39am On Dec 15, 2014
the Dogs are the ones controlling their handlers...
Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by Mcowubaba: 10:44am On Dec 15, 2014
MrMcJay:
First Soldiers, then hunters, then dogs. I'm sure, traffic wardens would be next to be deployed to fight BH.

Talk of treating the symptoms and not the disease.

2015, and Jonathan would be beaten like a drum.
mtcheeeew..u will politicalise (nt English) eveytin...just calm dwn nd be hapi
Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by Nobody: 10:46am On Dec 15, 2014
MrMcJay:
First Soldiers, then hunters, then dogs. I'm sure, traffic wardens would be next to be deployed to fight BH.

A dog could be used to sniff out explosive devices, and mine clearance activities.

So, not entirely useless.

Dogs are also used by the US Army too...

For more info on dogs in warfare....Wikipedia is a good place to start.
Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by Nobody: 10:48am On Dec 15, 2014
Melahou:
the Dogs are the ones controlling their handlers...

Nope....the handlers control the dogs.

Obviously you have never owned or looked after dogs! smiley

4 Likes

Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by Nobody: 10:57am On Dec 15, 2014
dynamo77:
So now it is dogs we are deploying..... Anything that will eradicate boko boys is welcomed even if na babalawo dem go use self, we don't mind!!
holatin:
Jonathan never fail to amuse me.

outstanding comedian of the year
adedayourt:
So hw does des dogs work, do dey shoot BH @ sight or bite der ass off.

Somtin tels me jus 20 bullets ll be enof fr d dogs deployed

Hey, the three of you......google is your friend in matters like these....

From the article on Wikipedia....Dogs in warfare

War dogs were used by the Egyptians, Greeks, Persians, Sarmatians, Alans, Slavs, Britons, and the Romans.[1][2] The Molossus dog of the Molossia region of Epirus was the strongest known to the Romans, and was specifically trained for battle.[3] Among the Greeks and Romans, dogs served most often as sentries or patrols, though they were sometimes taken into battle.[4] The earliest use of war dogs in a battle recorded in classical sources was by Alyattes of Lydia against the Cimmerians around 600 BC. The Lydian dogs killed some invaders and routed others.[5]

Often war dogs would be sent into battle with large protective spiked metal collars and coats of mail armor.[citation needed]

During the Late Antiquity, Attila the Hun used giant Molosser dogs in his campaigns.[1] Gifts of war dog breeding stock between European royalty were seen as suitable tokens for exchange throughout the Middle Ages. Other civilizations used armored dogs to defend caravans or attack enemies. The Spanish conquistadors used armored dogs that had been trained to kill natives.[6]

In the Far East, Emperor Lê Lợi raised a pack of 100 hounds, this pack was tended and trained by Nguyễn Xí whose skills was impressive enough to promote him to the Commander of a shock troop regiment.

Later on, Frederick the Great used dogs as messengers during the Seven Years' War with Russia. Napoleon also used dogs during his campaigns. Dogs were used up until 1770 to guard naval installations in France.[citation needed]

The first official use of dogs for military purposes in the United States was during the Seminole Wars.[1] Hounds were used in the American Civil War to protect, send messages, and guard prisoners[7] Dogs were also used as mascots in American World War I propaganda and recruiting posters.

The Nigerian Army is just following historical preccedent.

Again from the same article....

Many dogs were used to locate mines. They did not prove to be very effective under combat conditions. Marine mine detecting dogs were trained using bare electric wires beneath the ground surface.[34] The wires shocked the dogs, teaching them that danger lurked under the dirt. Once the dog's focus was properly directed, dummy mines were planted and the dogs were trained to signal their presence. While the dogs effectively found the mines, the task proved so stressful for the dogs they were only able to work between 20 and 30 minutes at a time. The mine detecting war dogs anticipated random shocks from the heretofore friendly earth, making them extremely nervous.[clarification needed] The useful service life of the dogs was not long. Experiments with lab rats show that this trend can be very extreme, in some tests rats even huddled in the corner to the point of starvation to avoid electric shock.

Dogs have historically also been used in many cases to track fugitives and enemy troops, overlapping partly into the duties of a scout dog, but use their olfactory skill in tracking a scent, rather than warning a handler at the initial presentation of a scent.

I am not a fan of this PDP government....but for once the Nigerian Army and Government are doing something right.....

The humble K-9.....useful to mankind in many different ways!

2 Likes

Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by ikweremilitant: 10:58am On Dec 15, 2014
MrMcJay:

for ur mind, you dy make sense abi? Ofe ke.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by Rexyl(m): 11:01am On Dec 15, 2014
Dbboy:
That beautiful.
The insurgency might be bad but it is sure bringing large development to the army.

you mean Nigeria has developed to the level of exploiting ability in disability. If so that is good, very soon Nigeria will be like western countries and the Americans which improve on technology and find success out of all challenges.

1 Like

Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by onatisi(m): 11:03am On Dec 15, 2014
ikweremilitant:
for ur mind, you dy make sense abi? Ofe ke.
bro,I swear dat guy foool no be small.
Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by snazzy5050(m): 11:08am On Dec 15, 2014
Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by snazzy5050(m): 11:08am On Dec 15, 2014
boujaye:

what is wah?
ask your lecturer
Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by DWJOBScom(m): 11:09am On Dec 15, 2014
onatisi:
just to chip in,I won't be surprised if bh is using satellite phones to communicate which can be very difficult to trace at times

Definitely my brother
My question is,'how did they get so sophisticated? The weapon they possess is too expensive to be back by the numerous Nigerians as claimed.
We will expose their backers
Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by onatisi(m): 11:17am On Dec 15, 2014
DWJOBScom:

Definitely my brother
My question is,'how did they get so sophisticated? The weapon they possess is too expensive to be back by the numerous Nigerians as claimed.
We will expose their backers
boko haram source of funding is numerous, bank robberies,kidnapping and ransome payment, drugs and etc . I think the political sponsors come last. And don't forget that the nation is fighting more than one group of islamic militants.

1 Like

Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by PointB: 11:18am On Dec 15, 2014
The dogs even have ranks - privates and lance corporals.
Na wa oo. Do they get special feeding and housing depending on their rank? Just curious.

Good one nonetheless.
Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by IdomaLikita: 11:18am On Dec 15, 2014
Pigs would have been better, since we are dealing with a Brainwashed Enemy! Pigs should trained in Large quantities and allowed to Charge into suspected Boko Haram Hide-outs! They will betray their positions by shooting at the Pigs since contact with them means "Hell fire"!
But then, the Army itself has muslim soldiers who may object to this treatment!
Either way! Ingenuity wins battles, not Brute force!
Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by Afroconnect: 11:19am On Dec 15, 2014
The dogs will sure play a large role in sniffing out ied's and other materials-depends on training.
Training,training and re-training in all aspects of our armed forces is essential.
Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by Melahou(m): 11:27am On Dec 15, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Nope....the handlers control the dogs.

Obviously you have never owned or looked after dogs! smiley

i bet you have not watched there training on channels tv
then you`ll understand better
Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by Afroconnect: 11:30am On Dec 15, 2014
MrMcJay:

Oga u are either a kid or really dumb.
Now get some education lil mind
1)Dogs can sniff out boko animals position-charge at them and give them out-its quite hard to target a charging dog anyway.

(2) Dogs can be trained to sniff out anything-ied's,human smell,e.t.c...this will really help the armed forces.

(3)Dogs can give out positions of enemies laying ambush to attack the military,this will help them conqur such ambush plans.

Pls this is not about Goodluck jonathan,the Nigerian military is a Nigerian institution hs always been there and will remain after Goodluck is long gone.

I think the politics section should have age restriction,too many dumb kids and low iq peeps here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by PapiWata: 11:39am On Dec 15, 2014
The German Shepherd war dogs, that went into battle with US infantry forces during the Vietnam and Gulf Wars, were credited with saving MANY soldier's lives by fore-warning foot patrols about hidden ambushes, by sniffing out man-killer traps set in the path of advancing troops, and on occasion, by engaging armed enemy combatants in desperate do-or-die hand-to-bite combat.

Like their human warrior counterparts, war dogs earn promotion to higher military rank in reward for bravery under fire, and, when those war dogs die in the theater of war, they are buried with FULL military honors, while the brave men, so many of whose very lives were saved by their four legged platoon mates, shed tears of mourning as fighting canines are committed to mother Earth.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by obaayo2: 11:44am On Dec 15, 2014
experimentist:
Men I'm gona need dis type of dog inna mi house..
i ve got some full breed russian import caucasian shepherd pups available..if intersted hala me

1 Like

Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by nonen(m): 11:54am On Dec 15, 2014
Afroconnect:

Oga u are either a kid or really dumb.
Now get some education lil mind
1)Dogs can sniff out boko animals position-charge at them and give them out-its quite hard to target a charging dog anyway.

(2) Dogs can be trained to sniff out anything-ied's,human smell,e.t.c...this will really help the armed forces.

(3)Dogs can give out positions of enemies laying ambush to attack the military,this will help them conqur such ambush plans.

Pls this is not about Goodluck jonathan,the Nigerian military is a Nigerian institution hs always been there and will remain after Goodluck is long gone.

I think the politics section should have age restriction,too many dumb kids and low iq peeps here.

While dogs can be used for security, dogs are not useful for fighting terrorism.
Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by Afroconnect: 11:57am On Dec 15, 2014
nonen:

While dogs can be used for security, dogs are not useful for fighting terrorism.
Even u re dumb am sure you are not blind.

Just read my post well before you quote,then you see how dogs can be used to fight terrorism.

Or don't you know what ied means. Improvised explosive devices-bombs.
Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by TS2(m): 12:06pm On Dec 15, 2014
jkendy:
A war that our military can't fight, it would be a shame on the Armed Forces if animals (dogs) are used to achieve victory.

You are ignorant sha.

If America does this you will be amongst the people that will hail them as being ingenious.
Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by pamdaniel(m): 12:07pm On Dec 15, 2014
wow so terrible that they have not been using this sniffer war dogs? Na now them begin... can u imagine, I can trust those dog cos they are not bias, 20 military dogs die at the mercy of bokoharam warrants national burial, just as the major gen did give his dog a wonderfully burial.
Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by mavelo: 12:15pm On Dec 15, 2014
Abegi! wen dey go bring octopus boko onboard mak we dey knw where suicide bomber go target nxt 2avoid such place. grin
Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by Nobody: 12:22pm On Dec 15, 2014
ok
Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by Successdude(m): 1:04pm On Dec 15, 2014
jkendy:
A war that our military can't fight, it would be a shame on the Armed Forces if animals (dogs) are used to achieve victory.
My brother, when you go civilize. haven't u heard about robot army ?
Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by Successdude(m): 1:04pm On Dec 15, 2014
jkendy:
My brother, when you go civilize. haven't u heard of robot army ?
Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by ifypedro38(m): 1:40pm On Dec 15, 2014
Intelligence Gathering dose the magic meaning getting the informations of attacks before and foiling it gives result , Dog is just there as pets !!!
Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by hardbody: 1:56pm On Dec 15, 2014
Adminisher:

War dogs can unearth Boko Haram camps and dug in positions. They can detect IEDs, they can smell explosives on individuals.

......and they can survive bullets from AK47....
Re: Military War Dogs Compound Boko Haram’s Woes In The North-East by Popemax(m): 2:05pm On Dec 15, 2014
Who ask you for it....that's not what the thread for....vote and allow me vote,you can't force someone to vote wrongly....light and Roads has bin like dis since 1900 so wake up
Chibuke56:
#GMB till 2019
#TeamChange
c'mon NLers arent u tired of d epileptic power supply d bad roads poor education system corruption embezzlement syphoning of public funds failed nd unfufilled promises these are just one of the few things we have experiened .. I tink its high time nigeria experienced a change..
Vote wisely in 2015
#teamGMB
#teamChange

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

EFCC Transfers Fani-kayode To Kuje Prison / Nnamdi Kanu Vows To Shutdown Ebonyi State For Three Days / Governor Suntai Discharged From German Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.