Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,171 members, 7,867,396 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 03:17 PM

Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) - Poems For Review (42) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) (72331 Views)

NPC End Of The Year Thanksgiving Cypher. / NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta / 6 Memorable Poetry Collections By Nairaland Poets For 2014 - NPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (61) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jan 20, 2015
Till Tuesday. I am laykorn and I remain humble.
Herald9 and standd. Come and read wo!
Ayamlaykorn
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by harrysterol(m): 9:39pm On Jan 20, 2015
I don miss class sotey I d fear to attend classes again cos I no sabi wer to begin read angry

VC my daddy has refused to pay my tuition fee, hence the absenteeism from lectures
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 4:29pm On Jan 21, 2015
"Men who fail
Are men who fear
To thread and trade
With risk"
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Dannidom(m): 8:59am On Jan 25, 2015
laykorn:
[font=georgia][i]FREE VERSE TEST QUESTIONS:

Rules: Answer these questions on your assignment threads and tag me.

Answer all 5 questions.

1. What makes free verse different from all other styles of poetry ? [20 marks]

2. What is a stanza in poetry ? [20 marks]

3. Explain how a stanza arrangement will make your poem better. [20 marks]

4. Write a poem in free verse on Free Verse with title 'Free Verse' [40 marks]

Note that your poem will be scored by:
1. Grammatical Accuracy - 10
2. Poetic Devices - 10
3. Organaisation/Structure - 10
4. Imagery - 10

Goodluck cheesy

[b]Ayamlaykorn
sir pls I have nt been attending classes lately and I didnt even know that this assignment existed.

Pls sir has the time for the assignment elapsed and can i do and submit my own nw?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 10:16am On Jan 25, 2015
Dannidom:
sir pls I have nt been attending classes lately and I didnt even know that this assignment existed.

Pls sir has the time for the assignment elapsed and can i do and submit my own nw?
No, Dannidom. You can still submit I anytime. cheesy
Ayamlaykorn
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Dannidom(m): 12:24pm On Jan 25, 2015
laykorn:

No, Dannidom. You can still submit I anytime. cheesy
Ayamlaykorn
thank you sir
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 8:32pm On Jan 25, 2015
Hi peeps,
Let's try to unravel this puzzle,while we await for tonight's class. Here;

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 8:34pm On Jan 25, 2015
Honjohnbright , osesthedon , try these out...tell me what the pix are saying,each
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 8:50pm On Jan 25, 2015
1) "Woman on the side"
Hint; u can see d world 'w o m a n' arranged by d side of d box.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jan 25, 2015
Its still not clear... But I think the other two boxes should be "12:00gmt" and "look before you leap" respectively

Am I right?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 9:00pm On Jan 25, 2015
honjohnbright:
Its still not clear... But I think the other two boxes should be "12:00gmt" and "look before you leap" respectively

Am I right?
No o, rack up a bit,almost close.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 9:03pm On Jan 25, 2015
EverestdeBliu:

Actually "look before you leap" is right.

Not 12:00T Though.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 9:05pm On Jan 25, 2015
texanomaly:

Actually "look before you leap" is right.

Not 12:00T Though.
Oh didn't see that,he clustered all o' em together.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jan 25, 2015
EverestdeBliu:

Kk. How about
"12:00T" in the middle of the second box
And "look u leap" in the last box
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 9:09pm On Jan 25, 2015
honjohnbright:

Kk. How about
"12:00T" in the middle of the second box
And "look u leap" in the last box
"Look before U leap" was correct.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 9:13pm On Jan 25, 2015
Ok guys there is not really a class...per se tonight. I started a lesson and realized I wanted more time to develop it. I've started a lesson on the history of poetry in Nigeria. It needs more time though.

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 9:15pm On Jan 25, 2015
Everest and I decided we would do Bio poems instead. We can get to know a little about each other that way. If you prefer you can make up a character to write about.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jan 25, 2015
EverestdeBliu:

"Look before U leap" was correct.

Then d middle box should be "12:00GMT"
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 9:21pm On Jan 25, 2015
[b] A BioPoem is a structured collection of vivid details about a character's life, personality traits and aspirations: a portrait in words. In creating your BioPoem, try to avoid generalizations, which tend to be boring and uninteresting, in favour of vivid details which reveal interesting aspects of your subject. The structure of the BioPoem you are going to use is outlined below.

Begin each line with the words in quotes where indicated, and after research supply the details requested in the parentheses. Good luck!

Line 1: (Character's first name)
Line 2: "Relative of..." or Friend of..." (List 3 or 4 relatives or friends)
Line 3: (List 4 character traits that would describe this person or his personality
Line 4: (Position or job)
Line 5: "Lover of..." (3 things, people, activities, etc.)
Line 6: "Who felt..." (3 emotions and explanations)
Line 7: "Who has been..." (3 places or events this character has been)
Line 8: "Who needed..." (3 descriptions of things this character may have needed)
Line 9: "Who feared..." (3 descriptions of things this character may have feared)
Line 10: "Who gave..." (3 descriptions of what this character has given to family, friends, the world,
etc.)
Line 11: "Who longed for..." (3 descriptions)
Line 12: "Who would like to have seen..." (3 descriptions of things the character may have wanted to
have seen in his lifetime)
Line 13: (Synonym - one profound word that describes the character)
Line 14: "Resident of..." (description of place, dates, location, etc.)
Line 15: (Character's last name) [/b]
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 9:22pm On Jan 25, 2015
honjohnbright:

Nope grin
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 9:22pm On Jan 25, 2015
honjohnbright:

No,'afternoon tea'
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 9:22pm On Jan 25, 2015
Here is an example of a bio poem.

Winnie the Pooh

Winnie
Cheerful, optimistic, loyal, 'a bear of very little brain'
Friend of Piglet, Christopher Robin, Eeyore and Tigger
Teddy bear, friend, confidante and honey hunter
Lover of honey, impromptu songs and hums, honey and more honey
Who feels adventurous on expeditions, fearful of Woozles and protective of Piglet
Who fell out of a tree, got pulled into the air by a kite and walked in the 100 Acre Wood
Who needed advice from Christopher Robin, occasional mothering from Kanga and a 'little something' at 11:00
Who feared empty honey pots, Tigger's bounces and bees
Who gave Eeyore the house he already had, the game of Pooh-Sticks to his friends and unlimited love to
Christopher Robin
Who longed for more honey, to look like a cloud and fly
Who would like to have seen Christopher Robin remain a child forever, the return of 'small' and Eeyore
happy
Loveable
Resident of 100 Acre Wood and Christopher Robin's imagination
The Pooh

2 Likes

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jan 25, 2015
texanomaly:

Nope grin

angry
:/
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 9:36pm On Jan 25, 2015
Write your bio poems and bring them here. Let's get to know each other, or just have a little fun by making a silly bio poem.

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jan 25, 2015
EverestdeBliu:

No,'afternoon tea'

12:00 isn't "AFTER"noon. Its Noon
Afternoon starts by 12:01 K? angry
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 9:41pm On Jan 25, 2015
honjohnbright:

But the "T" come after the 12:00. It is "after" noon. tongue
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Mynd44: 9:50pm On Jan 25, 2015
Hmm
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:52pm On Jan 25, 2015
Thanks Tex and Everest, you guys did a great job... Please teach up

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 9:53pm On Jan 25, 2015
Mynd44:
Hmm

Do you mind writing a bio poem Mynd? grin
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 10:06pm On Jan 25, 2015
honjohnbright:

Woreffa, either afternoon or 'noon tea'
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Mynd44: 10:09pm On Jan 25, 2015
texanomaly:

Do you mind writing a bio poem Mynd? grin
I don't know how to write poems cry
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jan 25, 2015
Mynd44:

I don't know how to write poems cry
This man can lie wo. shocked
That's how he told me one day that it is his picture that is on his profile. I went through 2 weeks of tedious research to realise that he isn't the one on his dp. undecided
Ayamlaykorn

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (61) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.