Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,597 members, 7,812,956 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:41 PM

4 Reasons Why You Should Consider Running A Marathon - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 4 Reasons Why You Should Consider Running A Marathon (742 Views)

4 Reasons Why You Should Always Drink Lemon Water / Mums: Would You Consider An Epidural? / 3 Reasons You Should Consider Visiting A Public Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Reasons Why You Should Consider Running A Marathon by crestime(m): 8:34am On Dec 16, 2014
When you hear of a marathon, what really comes to your mind? Maybe you envision people sweating it out and running like their life depends on it. But, do you really think there's actually any health benefit from running a marathon or is it just a waste of time and energy? Some people may agree that they're actually running a marathon just for the prize, but there's actually many underlying health benefits, even bigger than whatever prize you will get from running the marathon. And those are the benefits we will be discussing today. So, the question here is why should you even attempt running a marathon? for your health? If there wasn't a prize to be won, will you still attempt a marathon race? Here are the reasons why you should run a marathon.

1. Build stronger bones.

Since running or jogging is a weight bearing exercise, running a marathon will help you build stronger bones. The more kilometers you cover, the more of your weight you'll be able to lift and the more exercising your bones will undergo. If you think you need stronger bones for undergoing strenous activity, then you need to do a lot of jogging or even run a marathon.

2. Replace fats with healthy muscles.

It is already popular that running a marathon or other long races will help you put out huge amount of sweat. This comes with a lot of fats burning that will help you improve your shape, balance and fitness. But not to forget, a marathon will also help you grow lean healthy muscles to replace those lost fats, and you'll see how much your fitness will improve.

3. Support your cardiovascular fitness.

Have you heard of the "run for your heart" campaign? If you haven't, then it's time to know that running a marathon can help you improve both your heart and your respiratory organs. By running and covering more distance, you'll start building stronger lungs and improve the health of your heart. This is why jogging is recommended if you want to decrease your risk of heart diseases and other unhealthy heart conditions.

4. Maintain a healthy weight.

Are you watching your weight? Do you want to maintain a more balanced and healthy size? Then you have to try running a marathon. Light jugging can do this for you, but a marathon can also work wonders and even surpass your expectations. If you want to lose more weight and keep fit, simply start running marathons.

I've gone for two marathons all my life, and I must say that both races weren't as easy as I expected. I noticed that there was a huge difference between running a 10,000 meters race and running a marathon. But, I also noticed the huge difference in my health, heart and body. You should try running a marathon too. It's not a must that you finish, but make sure you get really really exhausted. That's the point where you'll say you've run a marathon. Try a marathon today. Run for your body, run for your heart and run for your health.

http://www.afrimedi.com/2014/12/5-reasons-why-you-should-run-marathon.html
Re: 4 Reasons Why You Should Consider Running A Marathon by spartoo: 9:00am On Dec 16, 2014
I have never done the 10,000m but I enjoy running. looking for a chance to give it a try. it's a good feeling after each run every Saturday
Re: 4 Reasons Why You Should Consider Running A Marathon by crestime(m): 7:47pm On Dec 16, 2014
spartoo:
I have never done the 10,000m but I enjoy running. looking for a chance to give it a try. it's a good feeling after each run every Saturday
Good to hear that. You just have to take it one step at a time. The more you run, the stronger your breathing will become and you'll start running longer distances. Keep at it.
Re: 4 Reasons Why You Should Consider Running A Marathon by spartoo: 8:12pm On Dec 16, 2014
crestime:

Good to hear that. You just have to take it one step at a time. The more you run, the stronger your breathing will become and you'll start running longer distances. Keep at it.

max I did was a 5000m
Re: 4 Reasons Why You Should Consider Running A Marathon by crestime(m): 9:01pm On Dec 16, 2014
spartoo:

max I did was a 5000m
Now, that's a good start. If you can keep it at least thrice per year, that'll will do good for you.
Re: 4 Reasons Why You Should Consider Running A Marathon by Nobody: 9:18pm On Dec 16, 2014
I run 2x a week. Never thought about running a marathon but it's a goal worth considering.

(1) (Reply)

I Am Your Holistic Doctor, Hold My Hand Let's Walk Through Your Problem. / Causes Of Female Infertility / World First PE NIS TRANSPLANT Done Today In South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.