Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,742 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:05 AM

Buhari-the Man With Promise - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari-the Man With Promise (399 Views)

Aisha Buhari: The North Should Hold Amaechi Responsible / Osinbajo Contradicts APC, Buhari’s Promise Of 3 Million Jobs Annually / Dino Melaye Is A Man With No Reputation For Honour Or Decency – Okonjo-iweala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Buhari-the Man With Promise by OAM(m): 11:47am On Dec 16, 2014
One of my Professors likes to say, "good leadership is a blessing, bad leadership is a curse." This statement is very true indeed. What we have witnessed in Nigeria in the past six years or so is what I may call the curse of leadership failure. This same curse has been the main cause for war and divisions and poverty. It is unfortunate to say that there has been more crisis than leadership for the most part. It's often said that everything rises and falls on leadership. So if nothing is done, like training up and nurturing future leaders in the proper manner, if Nigeria does not retreat to the past to interpret her present and direct her future, the curse will always remain effective. We will see history repeat itself over and over.

To achieve different results, someone has to rise and say no to the politics of the past-the politics and ideologies that have only left Nigeria destitute, desolate, divided, and deformed. We must begin to think differently if we are to achieve different results. Saying no to things like tribalism, wars and divisions will not happen by accident, the people must first purpose in their hearts to seek peace and ensure unity among the people in the midst of great cultural diversity within one nation. Diversity should not be a dividing factor, but the opposite of it. It should be seen as a hallmark of Nigeria-many tribes, different dialects, and various rich cultures-yet existing tegether in harmony and as one nation.

The aspiring leaders in the Nigeria must enter the race for public office with a clear and pure mindset, a mindset that really puts the people first. Most of the previous leaders have always promised to fight for the people and promote good governance. But by the time they leave office, after their leadership has been weighed in the balance, the majority have been found wanting. Many leaders have embezzled huge sums of money for personal profit at the expense of common citizens. Some have governed through fear instead of good governance. Those who oppose or criticize them are seen as threats or targets to annihilate. Worse still, those who don’t share the same tribal backgrounds with public leaders get to eat the crumbs from the table. More often than not, it gets down to where you came from and what language you speak.

Fiscal mismanagement is part of the root problem. If we were to ask how many former Nigerian presidents have been found to have misappropriated public funds while in office, our findings would be shoking. Nearly half of them have been implicated in cases of embezzling funds in one way or another while in office. Some have swindled their people of millions, if not billions of dollars. Shame on them! What Nigeria needs is leadership with a servant’s heart, not imperialistic-like leaders who are only in the game for themselves and not for the people. Africa needs leaders who can deliver real results. We can’t just be independent theoretically, now is high time to get practical. We need tangible deeds, not merely sugar-coated empty promises. When I hear of countries such as South Africa, Kenya and Angola among a few others that are making great strides economically, my heart leaps for joy.

So, in a nutshell, what exactly has been the cause of failure and poverty in Nigeria in spite of us being the most endowed with natural resources? It is simply bad governance, lack of vision, and selfish leadership. If am wrong, then someone had better tell me what the root cause is. For this one thing is sure, proper planning, right motives, and good governance do not lead nations to poverty, war, divisions, weak military , and bloodshed.

I see a new Nigeria emerging with Buhari. Please lets join hands and ensure this dream is realized....

OAM

(1) (Reply)

My Opinion On Religious Sentiments In Nigerian Politics / Ex-pdp Chairman Compared Buhari To Old Plane Parked For Toolong– / Sokoto Is NOT The Poorest!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.