Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,967 members, 7,817,841 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:58 PM

Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! (10182 Views)

Uzodinma Iweala: 'Beast Of No Nation', Based On Novel By Okonjo-iweala‘s Son / Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) / Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Kenai: 1:17am On Dec 17, 2014
Lupita Nyong'o is set to reteam with Brad Pitt's Plan B production company on the drama 'Americanah'.

Plan B, which produced 12 Years a Slave, has acquired big-screen rights to the Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie-penned novel and will produce alongside D2 Prods. and Potboiler Prods. (The Last King of Scotland, Generation Kill).

Lupita Nyong'o, who won the best supporting
actress prize in March for her turn in Steve
McQueen's 12 Years a Slave, is set for a lead
role in Americanah, and will also produce it.

"It is such an honour to have the opportunity
to bring Ms Adichie's brilliant book to the
screen," Nyong'o said. "Page after page, I
was struck by Ifemelu and Obinze's stories,
whose experiences as African immigrants are
so specific and also so imminently relatable.
It is a thrilling challenge to tell a truly
international story so full of love, humour
and heart."

Americanah is the epic love story of young Nigerians, a romance that spans continents, visas, phone cards and breakups, while exploring the cruelties and the humor of both the modern immigrant experience and the difficulty of finding your way home. The novel was the winner of the 2013 National Book Critics Circle Award for fiction and was selected as one of the 10 best books of the year byThe New York Times Book Review, the BBC andNewsday.

Adichie is the MacArthur Fellowship-winning author of the novels Purple Hibiscus and Half of a Yellow Sun, the film adaptation of which recently premiered in the United Kingdom and Nigeria.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/lupita-nyongo-brad-pitt-reteam-709653

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Nobody: 11:29am On Dec 17, 2014
kiss

Hope The Nigerian Film and Videos Censors Board doesn't mess it up like they did "Half of a Yellow sun"

It would have been nice to see the Original Version before the whole Censorship thing came up.

8 Likes

Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Brightology2(m): 11:29am On Dec 17, 2014
Do u know chimamanda is from utuoke. In case u don't know. N she is my kid sister too we also skul in France

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by CuppyCakie: 11:29am On Dec 17, 2014
ok
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Nobody: 11:29am On Dec 17, 2014
Chimamanda impresses me everyday. Perhaps, what I am most impressed by is her rejection of the Otueke shoeless man in power. We will speak with one voice come 2015!

-CramJones

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by chibwike(m): 11:31am On Dec 17, 2014
that novel tho'
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by superjaks(m): 11:31am On Dec 17, 2014
I was here
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Nobody: 11:31am On Dec 17, 2014
Should be interesting.

Read Americanah in May this year. Was like going back in time to my childhood. I would have been a few years younger than the protagonists Obinze and Ife(if they had existed).

Good book.

Modified at 11.34

Americanah is basically in some ways the story of Nigeria from the late 70's to date. The bits about the protagonists's childhood in the 80's....growing up during the SAPPing times and army rule. And the desire to get out of the country in the 1990's....evidenced by both protagonists, and one of their relatives.

But I get ahead of myself. Read the book.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by omanifrank(m): 11:31am On Dec 17, 2014
nice anyway
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Samcenation(m): 11:32am On Dec 17, 2014
nice one.
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by chibwike(m): 11:32am On Dec 17, 2014
cramjones:
Chimamanda impresses me everyday. Perhaps, what I am most impressed by is her rejection of the Otueke shoeless man in power. We will speak with one voice come 2015!

-CramJones
must you bring politics into everything...tufiakwa!

23 Likes

Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Nobody: 11:34am On Dec 17, 2014
I wish her the best.

I develop goose pimples all over whenever I hear about Chimamanda. She's so successful in what she does even though I don't really like her books.

I love the fact that she brings out the best descriptions and knows exactly what her readers want.

Looking forward to watching the movie.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by DoctorTim: 11:34am On Dec 17, 2014
Chimamanda.. Chimamanda... Chimamanda!!! how many times did I call u? Come to Nigeria and marry before u make too much money and forget your roots. This americanah people like u too much. Come home

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Cashio(m): 11:34am On Dec 17, 2014
A
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Saintly01(m): 11:35am On Dec 17, 2014
Good news to Nigerians and congratulations to Chimamanda Adichie.
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by okochauche: 11:35am On Dec 17, 2014
nice cant wait for it....front page i tink

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Orikinla(m): 11:37am On Dec 17, 2014
OLD NEWS.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by efepro(m): 11:38am On Dec 17, 2014
kennygee:
kiss
Hope The Nigerian Film and Videos Censors Board doesn't mess it up like they did "Half of a Yellow sun"
It would have been nice to see the Original Version before the whole Censorship thing came up.
There are 2 different stories..they wanted to ban half of a yellow sun because of the civil(tribal) wAr, which is not good for our present security challenge in the northern part of naija
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Nobody: 11:39am On Dec 17, 2014
DoctorTim:
Chimamanda.. Chimamanda... Chimamanda!!! how many times did I call u? Come to Nigeria and marry before u make too much money and forget your roots. This americanah people like u too much. Come home

She's married.

8 Likes

Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by shaboti: 11:41am On Dec 17, 2014
9ja no dey carry last
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by PerfumeRepublik: 11:42am On Dec 17, 2014
Nice one ..
Chimamandah is a great story teller,She never disappoints

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by kingopta(m): 11:42am On Dec 17, 2014
Money Making Machine
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Ishilove: 11:43am On Dec 17, 2014
bushdoc9919:
Should be interesting.

Read Americanah in May this year. Was like going back in time to my childhood. I would have been a few years younger than the protagonists Obinze and Ife(if they had existed).

Good book.

Modified at 11.34

Americanah is basically in some ways the story of Nigeria from the late 70's to date. The bits about the protagonists's childhood in the 80's....growing up during the SAPPing times and army rule. And the desire to get out of the country in the 1990's....evidenced by both protagonists, and one of their relatives.

But I get ahead of myself. Read the book.
You're younger than I thought.
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by IGBOSON1: 11:46am On Dec 17, 2014
preshuzpearl:
I wish her the best.

I develop goose pimples all over whenever I hear about Chimamanda. She's so successful in what she does even though I don't really like her books.

I love the fact that she brings out the best descriptions and knows exactly what her readers want.

Looking forward to watching the movie.

^^^She reminds me of Sade for some funny reason! undecided.......A literary/homegrown version!!
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Milly02(m): 11:46am On Dec 17, 2014
Nyc move
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Nobody: 11:48am On Dec 17, 2014
chibwike:
that novel tho'

Mr Man this your "tho" line is fast becoming a cliche in Nairaland. If you don't have what to say, just don't comment. Read comments and exit the post; don't make it an obligation to say something, then end up typing some nonsense.

Chibwike Tho undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Nobody: 11:49am On Dec 17, 2014
I love this woman scatter.

She's a source of inspiration. smiley

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by uzolexis(f): 11:49am On Dec 17, 2014
I hope it'll be nothing like the movie adaptation of "half of a yellow sun" cause that movie was awful, spoilt the book for me cause i really loved that book. Americanah is also a wonderful story and i expect nothing short of the best from Lupita.....so i'm looking forward to this movie.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? / Learning TV Presenting In Nigeria / The Village Headmaster Returns To TV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.