Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,496 members, 7,830,497 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:50 PM

A Piece On Foreign Policy By Dante West - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Piece On Foreign Policy By Dante West (626 Views)

Why I Support Buhari Naira/dollar policy by Dr. Bode Olowoporoku (ph.d Econs) / Biafra: Nigeria Is Coming Apart At The Seams - Foreign Policy / $1m On Foreign Trips: Fayose Can Say ‘ Whatever He Likes’ – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Piece On Foreign Policy By Dante West by dantewest: 8:57am On Dec 17, 2014
Nigeria. Been touted as the giant of Africa, its often wondered and asked what exactly is the foreign policy and the current political ideology really is.

I ponder relentlessly as to why our foreign policy led by the PDP government is not making the projected impact in the world’s affairs despite Nigeria being among the G-20 nations, which should mean we have leverage over most countries right?

I admire the mentality behind the ‘Manifest Destiny Doctrine’ of the USA which makes them feel exceptional, the manifest destiny has evolved to today’s American exceptionalism which gives them the moral guts to saber rattle the greatest Eurasian bear called Russia.

On the outside, Russia looks weak and impotent due to its reluctance to engage in numerous military adventures compared to its nemesis, the Americans under various acronyms like the NATO, IMF, World Bank, UN and other bullshit alphabetical brouhaha.

The Russians wisely refused to join the coalition of the willing (gung-ho bunch of gun totting gangster countries) fight against terrorism led by the bosses at Washington DC and Brussels.

Russia is a country I admire, for her strength relies heavily on the phenomenon called Putin and his current government. Putin is a man of the people (Americans hate his guts), loved across the sphere of the planet, from South America to Germany, from Africa to China, Putin is indeed a strong man with solid moral fiber, unlike the neocons in the Western hemisphere whose adventurism created monsters like the Islamic State (IS, formally ISIS or ISIL) and the dreaded Boko haram Islamic terrorist group operating in our beloved Nigeria.

The question remains, what indeed is our foreign policy? Is it a white paper document or is it our national mood? As an average Nigerian, it may seem like I don’t really care about it because it rarely props up in my conversation with my peers, I believe it should be among our top priority, which includes DNA research and involvement in the 2045 human genome project (another topic to be discussed nationwide).

In my own opinion as usual, Nigeria needs a blend of both soft power and hard power to maintain a strong hold on Africa, starting with upgrading our military hardware to the standards of the Israeli Government including the use of nuclear weapons to safe guard our democracy and economy. The need to align ourselves more with Russia and China cannot be over emphasized.

Due to the decline in the American empire and their Manifest Destiny mantra, organizations like the IMF, World bank, NATO, and the silent but extremely powerful BIS (Bank of International Settlement); the only thing backing the petrol dollar is not gold, oil or any particular natural resources but the military industrial complex in pentagon.

The petrol dollar rides on the strengths of humvees, B – 52s and nukes, we are indeed quite fortunate there is not much monopoly on the production of nuclear weapons, arch rivals also possess them too.

Here are a few of my recommendations:

1. As for our country Nigeria, our geopolitical drama starts from ECOWAS. We need to maintain dominance and big brother role. We have to reserve the right to be more nationalistic in deals than been too much of a good Samaritan, just like the US does with Mexico.

2. Nigerian troops must maintain a presence in all boarders of the ECOWAS region, and with time, at all major coasts and sea ports in Africa with a view to project power outwards to either the Atlantic or Pacific axis.

3. Crude oil and natural gas are economic weapons and should be treated as such.

4. We should strive to project power within a short window of time to all parts of Africa with no white elephants to resist.

5. We have to act as the final frontier in Africa in this increasing multi-polar planet

6. A national unity mood, identity and patriotism should be gradually enforced into the minds of each citizen as a mantra and belief.

We need a new doctrine, and I propose a new doctrine called Sea to Sea (Salt to salt), meaning we strive to have dominion over all landmass between the oceans. Meaning all the landmass in Africa needs to look up to Nigeria in all aspect of life, and in a longer time, after this current multi-polar world order expires, Nigeria should and must be a contender for the new set of world governance, either in a uni-polar setting or in a multi-polat setting or in a coalition. We must believe wholeheartedly that we are destined to rule the planet and mankind.

The purpose of this piece is to set a debate going about what happens next after our peace is shattered and restored. How to build a Nigeria where we set the pace in Technology, Science, Health, War, Standards of living and other joys of living, a country where others believe to be heaven and paved with diamond streets and golden alleys.

If you have an ounce of greatness in you, you will spread the word, get involved in any way possible and let’s all join hands and tell the world that Nigeria matters and they better make wise decisions when it comes to doing business with Nigeria. We will prosper.

I encourage you to come up with catchy phrases, get involved (again) and let’s make this a movement like the Council of Foreign Relations and the Trilateral Commission agency…

United we rule.

2 Shares

Re: A Piece On Foreign Policy By Dante West by Maccoy1(m): 9:25am On Dec 17, 2014
Life is too short to read long post...but 'll be back to read the whole post...i'll hope you bear with me

(1) (Reply)

Please Mr President Save The Military And Nigeria From Collapsing / Will The Missing Chibok School Girls Know It's Christmas? / News Alert!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.