Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,028 members, 7,828,611 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

What Is The True Position Now,selling My Car With Or Without The New Plate Numbe - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is The True Position Now,selling My Car With Or Without The New Plate Numbe (2801 Views)

A Car With Ankara Paint / Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? / New Plate Number And Driver's License (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The True Position Now,selling My Car With Or Without The New Plate Numbe by airfresher(m): 9:11am On Dec 18, 2014
Please my people,I recently bought a car and registered it,but now I knew that what I actually need is Van for my business,I have sold the the car now,will I give buyer my plate number or just only the vehicle papers.please what did the law says thanks.
Re: What Is The True Position Now,selling My Car With Or Without The New Plate Numbe by gambus007(m): 9:40am On Dec 18, 2014
airfresher:
Please my people,I recently bought a car and registered it,but now I knew that what I actually need is Van for my business,I have sold the the car now,will I give buyer my plate number or just only the vehicle papers.please what did the law says thanks.
one car one number plate.buyer will do change of ownership when due for renewal.
Re: What Is The True Position Now,selling My Car With Or Without The New Plate Numbe by Ikenna351(m): 9:57am On Dec 18, 2014
Don't sell with the new number plate. It has become yours permanently. If the new owner or the vehicle is used in something illegal and the number is captured, its you that will be traced and apprehended. Your data is already saved in FRSC database for life against that number plate. You can re-register it on another vehicle of yours in your name, not on vehicle particulars not bearing your name.

Ikenna

2 Likes

Re: What Is The True Position Now,selling My Car With Or Without The New Plate Numbe by bravolad(m): 10:57am On Dec 18, 2014
Ikenna351:
Don't sell with the new number plate. It has become yours permanently. If the new owner or the vehicle is used in something illegal and the number is captured, its you that will be traced and apprehended. Your data is already saved in FRSC database for life against that number plate. You can re-register it on another vehicle of yours in your name, not on vehicle particulars not bearing your name.
Ikenna

To register a number plate on another car is no longer possible. You will be advised at any Vehicle Licensing Office to obtain a new number plate for your car. There seems to be some kind of confusion regarding the registeration of an existing number plate to a newly acquired car. If you go to a licensing office, they would tell you it is not possible to do this. But I remember their recent pronouncement that number plates belong to individuals whose names are registered with them. It is actually contradictory in real practice as VIO do not keep to that.
Re: What Is The True Position Now,selling My Car With Or Without The New Plate Numbe by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:03am On Dec 18, 2014
Ikenna is right, unfortunately most of us are lazy and don't want to follow a matter to a reasonable end.

The plates are all yours, registered in your name.there's a form to fill when you sell the car, so the plates are disassociated from the vin, when you buy another car go back and re-register.
That's how its done in the (north).
Re: What Is The True Position Now,selling My Car With Or Without The New Plate Numbe by airfresher(m): 12:12pm On Dec 18, 2014
Please house let us agree on one thing,why all this contradictions,getting more confused.can we have where d pronouncement is published or source of the pronouncement
Re: What Is The True Position Now,selling My Car With Or Without The New Plate Numbe by gambus007(m): 12:36pm On Dec 18, 2014
What i heard,u can not register one car with differnt number plate dats for the new number plate.dats why FRSC will always say stolen cars can't b register again. u can go to vio office to confirm.
Re: What Is The True Position Now,selling My Car With Or Without The New Plate Numbe by chukel(m): 3:08pm On Dec 18, 2014
bravolad:

To register a number plate on another car is no longer possible. You will be advised at any Vehicle Licensing Office to obtain a new number plate for your car. There seems to be some kind of confusion regarding the registeration of an existing number plate to a newly acquired car. If you go to a licensing office, they would tell you it is not possible to do this. But I remember their recent pronouncement that number plates belong to individuals whose names are registered with them. It is actually contradictory in real practice as VIO do not keep to that.
this is not true. I used my old plate on my former car to register my new car. Sold d old car without the plate. No problems at all. I only spent 15k to do the transfer and get all my papers. Everything was done with frsc. U can go to their office and make inquiry
Re: What Is The True Position Now,selling My Car With Or Without The New Plate Numbe by airfresher(m): 6:06pm On Dec 18, 2014
[quote author=chukel post=28994879] this is not true. I used my old plate on my former car to register my new car. Sold d old car without the plate. No problems at all. I only spent 15k to do the transfer and get all my papers. Everything was done with frsc. U can go to their office and make inquiriy[/quote.]. If everything was done in FRSC,what then happen in Licence office where d vehicle was registered.when did frsc became Licence office.who ever dat brought this idea,still have a lot of work to be done.
Re: What Is The True Position Now,selling My Car With Or Without The New Plate Numbe by bravolad(m): 9:53pm On Dec 18, 2014
chukel:
this is not true. I used my old plate on my former car to register my new car. Sold d old car without the plate. No problems at all. I only spent 15k to do the transfer and get all my papers. Everything was done with frsc. U can go to their office and make inquiry

You are absolutely wrong. FRSC does not issue number plates, they are issued by the licensing office of the VIO. Get your information right. I just changed one of my cars from private to commercial, so I know what I am talking about. Most people just sit at home & order for the registration of their cars and often times, driving license through FRSC Officers they meet on the road. This is why you have a lot of fake number plates & driving licenses.

Please, for those who do not know, FRSC does not issue vehicle license, number plate or driving license. They are only in charge of driving license production.
Re: What Is The True Position Now,selling My Car With Or Without The New Plate Numbe by Ikenna351(m): 12:39am On Dec 19, 2014
bravolad:

You are absolutely wrong. FRSC does not issue number plates, they are issued by the licensing office of the VIO. Get your information right. I just changed one of my cars from private to commercial, so I know what I am talking about. Most people just sit at home & order for the registration of their cars and often times, driving license through FRSC Officers they meet on the road. This is why you have a lot of fake number plates & driving licenses.

Please, for those who do not know, FRSC does not issue vehicle license, number plate or driving license. They are only in charge of driving license production.

FRSC issues Drivers Licence. My current Drivers Licence was issued by FRSC at FRSC. In fact, I did the data capture at FRSC headquarters at Zone 7, issued and collected at FRSC Utako. I paid into FRSC bank account. I applied for the licence renewal on FRSC website. Only thing VIO did was to examine if I knew how to drive. Every other thing was done at FRSC office, here in Abuja.

FRSC not only produce the number plate, they allocate number plates too. Your personal and vehicle data is stored in FRSC database against the number plate. You can confirm the authenticity of number plate online on FRSC database/website, not VIO. VIO doesn't exist in all states of the federation. Even in states, you renew your drivers licence at FRSC not licencing office, unless you want to be issued fake licence.

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: What Is The True Position Now,selling My Car With Or Without The New Plate Numbe by chukel(m): 6:42am On Dec 19, 2014
bravolad:

did u even bother to really read what I wrote. No. U just read a part and jumped to Ur keypad. I did not get a new number plate. I transfered a number plate from one car to the other. And please which agency owns the site that registers a plate number to a car. Maybe u r the ignorant one here.
Re: What Is The True Position Now,selling My Car With Or Without The New Plate Numbe by airfresher(m): 7:31am On Jun 17, 2016
So what is the final conclusion on the subject matter.Please those that have changed their cars and still use the plate number should help us with the procedure.On how best to handle it,including the prices.whether is better to just go for a new plate and keep the old at home thanks.
Re: What Is The True Position Now,selling My Car With Or Without The New Plate Numbe by Nobody: 11:32am On Jun 17, 2016
airfresher:

If your vehicle is with the new no plate, remove your no plate @ the point of sale. The new owner is to go for a change of ownership and re registration of already registered vehicle while you can use that same no plate in registering any other of your Vehicle.

You will also need to take back from the current owner of the vehicle the original copy of your allocation and prove of ownership certificate after he must have processed his own documents.

As soon as you are ready to use this very no plate on any of your Vehicle, walk into the MVAA station where this no plate was originally registered which you can dictate from both your prove of ownership certificate and the allocation of registration no and demand for a re - registration.

In most cases, we have observed that the the current owners after having processed there documents, find it difficult to return the original of the former owner's allocation of registration no and prove of ownership certificate so we advice that before u sale your vehicle especially if it's with the new no plate, make a copy of your allocation of registration no and prove of ownership certificate as you will need it.

MVAA means motor vehicle administration agency and this is where your vehicles are beeing registered irrespective of which ever government official helping you to process it.

In vehicle documentation, VIO only issues road worthiness.

While in processing driver'slicense, FRSC, VIO, AND MVAA worktogether.
The processing begins with the mvaa up to payment confirmation, the vio does the texting ( sight, driving and the use/application of road signs) and finally, the biometric capturing is done by the frsc.

Note: both payment for driver's license and data capturing for both no plate and driver's license is done through the frsc because frsc is federal.
Re: What Is The True Position Now,selling My Car With Or Without The New Plate Numbe by airfresher(m): 12:25pm On Jun 17, 2016
achalugonata:

If your vehicle is with the new no plate, remove your no plate @ the point of sale. The new owner is to go for a change of ownership and re registration of already registered vehicle while you can use that same no plate in registering any other of your Vehicle.

You will also need to take back from the current owner of the vehicle the original copy of your allocation and prove of ownership certificate after he must have processed his own documents.

As soon as you are ready to use this very no plate on any of your Vehicle, walk into the MVAA station where this no plate was originally registered which you can dictate from both your prove of ownership certificate and the allocation of registration no and demand for a re - registration.

In most cases, we have observed that the the current owners after having processed there documents, find it difficult to return the original of the former owner's allocation of registration no and prove of ownership certificate so we advice that before u sale your vehicle especially if it's with the new no plate, make a copy of your allocation of registration no and prove of ownership certificate as you will need it.

MVAA means motor vehicle administration agency and this is where your vehicles are beeing registered irrespective of which ever government official helping you to process it.

In vehicle documentation, VIO only issues road worthiness.

While in processing driver'slicense, FRSC, VIO, AND MVAA worktogether.
The processing begins with the mvaa up to payment confirmation, the vio does the texting ( sight, driving and the use/application of road signs) and finally, the biometric capturing is done by the frsc.

Note: both payment for driver's license and data capturing for both no plate and driver's license is done through the frsc because frsc is federal.
Thanks my Oga.
Re: What Is The True Position Now,selling My Car With Or Without The New Plate Numbe by Nobody: 8:06am On Jun 27, 2018
Any questions on vehicle registration?

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Cars That Last Over 300k Miles (nearing 500km) / On Engine Oil And Coolant For Honda Accord / How Reliable And Maintenance Friendly Are Ford Cars?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.