Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,574 members, 7,812,870 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:02 PM

Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ (712 Views)

Ifeanyi Ubah's Mocked Coffin Carried By Ihiala People Over Mass Rigging / Three Arrested Over Mass Purchase Of PVCs In Niger State / Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by tainot2002(m): 6:32pm On Dec 18, 2014
Some sets of identical twins and other multiple births in the country have called on President Goodluck Jonathan to intervene in stopping the mass discrimination against them by the Independent National Electoral Commission’s biometric system.

They alleged that currently about 1,000 sets of identical twins in the country have been denied their Permanent Voter Cards due to failure of the INEC’s biometric machines to distinguish their identities.

Joint Presidents of United Twins and Multiple Births for Transformation in Nigeria, Akpos Mamuzee-Dixon and Andos Mamuzee-Dixon, who are themselves twins, addressed journalists in Abuja on the problem on Thursday.

Other sets of twins, who said they were facing similar problems, attended the press conference.

Akpos and Andos are musicians and actors. According to them, while Akpos has got his PVC, Andos was not given because of the inability of INEC’s biometric machine to distinguish them.

In their letter dated November 25 and addressed to the INEC chairman, Prof. Atahiru Jeega, they threatened to institute a N1bn law suit against INEC “if within 14 days from the date of your receipt of this letter, you fail, refuse to carry out our modest demands.”

But they said all their attempts to get remedy, including the letter they wrote to Jega through their lawyer, Chief Mike Ozekhome (SAN), had yielded no result.

Akpos said, “When we got to the point of our registration in Wuse Zone 7, Akpos presented his Temporary Voter Card, and they found his name on the list and they gave him his PVC. But when it was my turn, they said they could not find my name on the list despite providing my temporary card. They asked to search for my name in other centres. We did but we could not find my name.
“We were then asked to go to Karu. When we got to Karu a woman who was an INEC official told us that when they saw the pictures of the two of us and they decided to keep one of the cards on the assumption that it was the same person who was being fraudulent by registering twice.”

They said each or both of many sets of twins in the country have been denied their PVCs and would be likely disenfranchised if urgent step was not taken.

“Is it now a crime to be twins? I have no apology for being a twin or being identical with my twin. President Goodluck Jonathan must intervene in this. The essence of biometric system is to distinguish persons. If INEC machine cannot distinguish us as different persons then, with due respect, INEC has failed.”

Akpos and Andos have threatened to sue INEC as the commission had failed to respond to their letter dated November 25, 2014.

They called on INEC to immediately provide Andos his PVC to enable him perform his fundamental and civil obligation as enshrined in Section 12(1) of the Electoral Act, 2011.

In the letter written on their behalf by Ozekhome’s law firm, the twins further demanded N20m as compensation for the trauma, psychological depression‎ and feeling of societal rejection they have been made to pass through with the denial of Ando’s PVC.

SOURCE: http://www.punchng.com/news/identical-twins-threaten-to-sue-inec-over-mass-disenfranchisement/
Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by Nobody: 7:00pm On Dec 18, 2014
The idiots should be ignored.
I guess I've got no stake in their trouble.

Some things are better settled without all the noise and publicity, I think.

Since you've written to the authorities , why not wait for their replies instead of going all heaty on the media and polity?
Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by ypzilanti: 7:09pm On Dec 18, 2014
blizard44:

The idiots should be ignored.
I guess I've got no stake in their trouble.

Some things are better settled without all the noise and publicity, I think.

Since you've written to the authorities , why not wait for their replies instead of going all heaty on the media and polity?
Ever heard of freedom of expression and righteous anger?
Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by Nobody: 7:16pm On Dec 18, 2014
ypzilanti:

Ever heard of freedom of expression and righteous anger?

I recognise righteous anger when I see them.

If you were able to read it all and not just jump to quote me, you'll see the lapses between mischeviousness and righteous anger.
Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by hushmail: 7:45pm On Dec 18, 2014
me i no be twin still my PVC no appear

although INEC promise to issue me with one

but if i no get am , temporary card or driver's license i go use vote for gej

(1) (Reply)

Does PDP Have the Chance Not To Be Defeated In This Coming Election? / For Buhari's Friends Only / INEC Should Make Aspirants Undergo Medicals Before Contesting Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.