Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,525 members, 7,812,638 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:37 PM

My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. (14156 Views)

KAI & LASTMA Officials Drive Branded Cars (pics) / The Overloaded Vehicle Seized In Bauchi By FRSC Officials Today / Photos Of The New LASTMA Cabs Set To Be Launched (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by ceasare: 3:12pm On Dec 19, 2014
viperman:
Go back there with a lawyer who will disguise as a friend.
While begging them, let your "friend"ask them what your offence was and use your phone video camera to mae sur you catch a recording of when they say it is because of this so called docuement. Once you have the recording....walk away.
Lt your lawyer then come back the following day with his case and sue them. do not let them go on an easy count.
When we as nigerians start fighting back lawlessness at this lower level, some others will grow some guts to fight it at the higher level.
You would also be saving someone else in the future from suffering same thing.
DO NOT LET THIS GO. SUE THEM.

U just spoke my mind!
Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by joeyekembele: 3:14pm On Dec 19, 2014
It is ethically wrong as it is constitutionally criminal for anyone under any guise to board your car and drive it to any office. No constitution empowers any state law enforcement agency to do that. You may claim anything to be missing in that car in the law court and they cannot escape it. The constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria does not give any state or body any legal allowance to design and impose any drivers' licence on anyone living in Nigeria, not even a foreigner. The driver licence designed and produced by the FRSC is and remains the only valid one that authorises a qualified driver to ply the road. The design, issuance of licence by Lagos or any state is criminal as it is fraudulent. Besides, it is only a federal body that is authorised by law to confiscate a property and impose any fine on a defaulter. Consequently. It's only the FRSC or a court of law that is permitted by law to do that. Make any claim and the law is by your side. Shave off timidity and ignorance and express your right. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by ogawisdom(m): 3:16pm On Dec 19, 2014
Sue wetin for naija lol abeg go settle them n pick ur car n buy d damn sticker tongue

Lastma no go shak beer ni this xmas grin na beer n isi ewu money dem dey find lipsrsealed

Nb u can sue them if u ve d money n neccessary connection to win d case. angry else na garagara u jst they do

1 Like

Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by ojoadeola: 3:21pm On Dec 19, 2014
My candid advice

1. See the head of the LASTMA office at Oshodi and put up your complaints. Get his reply. If not favourable
2. Refer the matter to their Head Office at Alausa, Secretariat
3. Take the issue personally to the Commissioner for Transport, Mr Kayode Opeifa (ask to see him personally). He will attend to you and you will get your car back
4. If not, refer it to the office of the Governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola. Send a text to his official line or email, chat or call the governor using this thread http://www.tundefashola.com/contact/index2.html
5. If all these fail, then engage your lawyer

Thanks

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by michylabo(m): 3:25pm On Dec 19, 2014
It can be frustrating...
Well its good u didnt struggle with them, cos those LASTMA boys are thugs..
But Bro, sue there ass.... Take a lawyer to there office... Make claims of missing stuff in ur car... Dnt insult them oh... Just be really civil about it... They wld beg u to carry ur car and go.. Dnt agree.. Make sure there big boss get wind of it...

Next time, whether its the police, boys scout, red cross, road side beggars e.t.c. Dnt even allow anyone into ur car. Ensure ur doors are always locked. Wind down the glass alittle and speak thru the small space

1 Like

Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by Nobody: 3:32pm On Dec 19, 2014
mollytinrox:
Next time put your central lock on; just wind down a little and give them what they are asking for. They are looking for money is all
so, what if you give them the Docs, and how do you think they will give you back at such state. simple ask them what they want, if they ask you for things they ain't supposed to, you simply speed off. afterall, they don't carry guns.
Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by Rastamann: 3:32pm On Dec 19, 2014
Nigeria is a lawless country where anything goes. My guy please find a way of getting your vehicle out of there ASAP or else it can be vandalized in addition to the insult you already received. Just look for a Lawyer and get you vehicle out and leave them for God to judge.

1 Like

Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by Ilekeh(f): 3:35pm On Dec 19, 2014
Pele my brother, the officer go use your car to flex muscle in his village.
Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by Nobody: 3:40pm On Dec 19, 2014
The more I read this stories the more I think I will add a Pitbull as my rear seat passenger whenever I drive in Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by mistabiola: 3:58pm On Dec 19, 2014
Anticabal:
Hello people, I was stopped by Lastma around oshodi yesterday morning, they asked for all my car documents, i tendered them. They then asked for Lagos drivers sticker, i was like WTF?. The other one jumped into the drivers seat and my car was towed to their nearby office. I simply left the car with them, and took a commercial bus to attend to more important issues at the Island. Has anyone ever experienced this? Can i sue?. I am not even listening to them anymore, i want to consider all options before knowing what steps to take. I hate being treated like a criminal and intimidated.

Please drop your much cherished advice. Lawyers in the house, please share your thoughts.

Mods please help push this forward.

Your car was seized simply because you don't know your right!!!
If this happen to me and i did what you've done cheesy grin My dad{boss} would demote me from CEO to MD with immediate effect tongue
Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by fisaylab: 4:00pm On Dec 19, 2014
Lets not make comment blindly,they have educated staffs at their offices there,narrate to them this and lets hear the outcome but what i dont believe is by asking for your vheicle paper,i dont wnt to be one sided like ano illitrate.
Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by jaz(m): 4:00pm On Dec 19, 2014
there are 2 things involved....

1. if you work in the kind of place where i do work which does not give room for social crusade due to plentiful terms and conditions in the well crafted contract letter then you better go settle and get your car out.

2. if you have the time and the money, then my advice, pursue the matter. please see the steps and implications below:

- as earlier advised, go wit a lawyer in disguise, and discuss what the offence was and modality for in-house settlement, remember to tape it all down and mention names in the recording
- take pictures of your vehicle in their compound. this will get them upset, worried and suspicious. make sure you take the pictures with another phone cos they might attempt to forcefully collect and damage your phone
- come back to discuss with the superior officer there that you are making a case and you have evidence of extortion and wilful abuse of power authority and jurisdiction. in this case you will have to pay the requested fine and remember to have a copy of the revenue receipt.
- give them a copy of decided cases where lastma, frsc etc are not empowered to fine any motorist as it is a case of one judging in his own case for their reading pleasure
- send a letter to head of lastma, commissioner of transport and governor's office informing them of your case. and document the status of your car

I guarantee you they will beg you to come collect your car... but make sure you have all you tax payments till date

1 Like

Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by Anticabal: 4:11pm On Dec 19, 2014
RichDad1:
Those crooks at Oshodi are at it again.
Which of the garages did they parked your car? Is it the one very close to the main building or the other one further down the road.
If its the later, just roger them with small change and you can leave with your car. But if it is the former, two things are involved, it's either you know someone that know someone that know someone. Lol or you'll simply pay their fine shikenna.
But if I'm to get you right, what they're asking for is the LASDRI license which to me is for professional Drivers (According to LASG).
I hope those guys are call to order ASAP.

It's the one further down the road. I don't joke with my car documents, because i know we have a lot of pestering sharks on lagos roads. There is even a brand new fire extinguisher in that car. Then someone in uniform wakes up in the morning and starts asking me for Lagos driver"s sticker. Wetin sef?
Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by shamecurls(m): 4:13pm On Dec 19, 2014
latola05:
please try to send an email to the Commissioner for Transport, try to also flag it by copying the Governor of Lagos State.

Brilliant idea
Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by Anticabal: 4:18pm On Dec 19, 2014
jaz:
there are 2 things involved....

1. if you work in the kind of place where i do work which does not give room for social crusade due to plentiful terms and conditions in the well crafted contract letter then you better go settle and get your car out.

2. if you have the time and the money, then my advice, pursue the matter. please see the steps and implications below:

- as earlier advised, go wit a lawyer in disguise, and discuss what the offence was and modality for in-house settlement, remember to tape it all down and mention names in the recording
- take pictures of your vehicle in their compound. this will get them upset, worried and suspicious. make sure you take the pictures with another phone cos they might attempt to forcefully collect and damage your phone
- come back to discuss with the superior officer there that you are making a case and you have evidence of extortion and wilful abuse of power authority and jurisdiction. in this case you will have to pay the requested fine and remember to have a copy of the revenue receipt.
- give them a copy of decided cases where lastma, frsc etc are not empowered to fine any motorist as it is a case of one judging in his own case for their reading pleasure
- send a letter to head of lastma, commissioner of transport and governor's office informing them of your case. and document the status of your car

I guarantee you they will beg you to come collect your car... but make sure you have all you tax payments till date

Thank you sir, I think this is the way to go. When i am through with the project at hand, i will have all of next week to seek redress.
Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by dammytosh: 4:24pm On Dec 19, 2014
Anticabal:
Hello people, I was stopped by Lastma around oshodi yesterday morning, they asked for all my car documents, i tendered them. They then asked for Lagos drivers sticker, i was like WTF?. The other one jumped into the drivers seat and my car was towed to their nearby office. I simply left the car with them, and took a commercial bus to attend to more important issues at the Island. Has anyone ever experienced this? Can i sue?. I am not even listening to them anymore, i want to consider all options before knowing what steps to take. I hate being treated like a criminal and intimidated.

Please drop your much cherished advice. Lawyers in the house, please share your thoughts.

Mods please help push this forward.

Are you a learner ?

You broke two rules of lastma.

RULE 1 : NEVER ALLOW A LASTMA official in your car for any reason.

RULE 2 : NEVER ALLOW THEIR TOWING VEHICLE TO TOW your car.
Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by Anticabal: 4:27pm On Dec 19, 2014
dammytosh:

Are you a learner ?

You broke two rules of lastma.

RULE 1 : NEVER ALLOW A LASTMA official in your car for any reason.

RULE 2 : NEVER ALLOW THEIR TOWING VEHICLE TO TOW your car.

So how i for do am?, fight them on the road?
Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by dammytosh: 4:34pm On Dec 19, 2014
Anticabal:

So how i for do am?, fight them on the road?

1. No, You don't allow them inside your car at all for any reason.

Did you commit any other offence ? Was there evidence ?

2. As for towing, since you allow them in your car already, you pretend to be reasonable and say you want to drive. On your way you look for a good place to park and talk to them any how.
Don't go to that their office. They will complicate life for you.

2 Likes

Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by MrMcJay(m): 4:49pm On Dec 19, 2014
Engr Tunde Edu
General Manager, LASTMA

Kayode Opeifa
Commr for Transport, Lagos state.

Hope you got the name of the lastma operative written on his name-tag?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by 100Cents: 5:00pm On Dec 19, 2014
Barselonia:
u don't know say Christmas is around the corner.......money is needed,

Red eye, Red eye.

These people dey look face before misbehaving..

Lmao.
Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by 100Cents: 5:02pm On Dec 19, 2014
Flets:
Use your lawyer ASAP. Their role ends at traffic management and that does not involve your papaers.

Anyway, Expect more from APC. Its only in APC states you see this read rubbish. .. Lagos and unending taxes, outrageous land use charges, property tax, Tinubu tax, Iyaloja levy, TV rates etc. In APC's edo state is radio tax used in harassing travellers. TIMARIV in APC's rivers state is another kettle of fish.

You know them very well.

APC states promote agberooism and extortion.
Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by Anticabal: 5:07pm On Dec 19, 2014
MrMcJay:
Engr Tunde Edu
General Manager, LASTMA

Kayode Opeifa
Commr for Transport, Lagos state.

Hope you got the name of the lastma operative written on his name-tag?

Yes i did get the name-tag of one clearly, though some seem to be covering theirs nowadays. Thanks for numbers.
Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by Anticabal: 5:20pm On Dec 19, 2014
Flets:
Use your lawyer ASAP. Their role ends at traffic management and that does not involve your papaers.

Anyway, Expect more from APC. Its only in APC states you see this read rubbish. .. Lagos and unending taxes, outrageous land use charges, property tax, Tinubu tax, Iyaloja levy, TV rates etc. In APC's edo state is radio tax used in harassing travellers. TIMARIV in APC's rivers state is another kettle of fish.

Lagos is becoming too hot for survival. That reminds me, just recently a friend's medicine store was sealed up at Ikorodu by the Lagos task force on drugs and he was asked to pay N300,000 "admin charges" into a LASG skybank account before the store will be re-opened. His offence-his Superintendent Pharmacist was not on seat the day they came to his registered shop while on patrol. These guys are not Pharmacy council or NAFDAC oh! but the Lagos task force. Story for another day sha.

1 Like

Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by Nobody: 5:32pm On Dec 19, 2014
viperman:
Go back there with a lawyer who will disguise as a friend.
While begging them, let your "friend"ask them what your offence was and use your phone video camera to mae sur you catch a recording of when they say it is because of this so called docuement. Once you have the recording....walk away.
Lt your lawyer then come back the following day with his case and sue them. do not let them go on an easy count.
When we as nigerians start fighting back lawlessness at this lower level, some others will grow some guts to fight it at the higher level.
You would also be saving someone else in the future from suffering same thing.

DO NOT LET THIS GO. SUE THEM.
I so much love this.....op do this... they need 2 be taught a lesson
Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by Jackter101(m): 5:47pm On Dec 19, 2014
It is crazy how everyone talks about APC as if they are God sent. The way they create tons of units just to harass the citizens of this country is alarming. It is even more painful to think that they turn a blind eye to the happenings of these so called units. For goodness sake, what is Lastma"s business with your vehicle particulars. These Lastma guys also showed me until I stopped giving a hoot about them. They are just cheats and completely lawless and out to extort you. Please be advised that next time, do not leave your vehicle doors unlocked. Do not open your doors for them, all you should do is roll your glass down a little to hear what they have to say. It is better to waste everyone's time there and then drive off when you get a chance than giving in to them. I cry for Nigeria as a whole, as this is a common trend in all the forces. Police, Road Safety, Lastma and name it. The most unfortunate one is how they change the story whenever a superior asks them why they arrested or seized your car. It is this same reason that I conclude that Nigeria does not have a credible candidate for presidency yet, as both parties have failed the few honest Nigerians left. It is however true that the people deserve whatever leader they get. A conscienceless people deserves a conscienceless and clueless leader. Until Nigeria has a database of its residents, and penalizes drivers and motorists the right way, by sending a fine to their home addresses or fining them at the point of arrest like developed countries do, without seizing your vehicle and asking you for cash, Nigeria will remain a living hell for motorists.

2 Likes

Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by loomer: 9:05pm On Dec 19, 2014
Lagos don turn country on its own sha
Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by SailorXY: 9:49pm On Dec 19, 2014
hahahaha you stopped for lastma?? a uniformed tout?? even allowed them into your ride & gave them papers, bros you are a softie o... maybe you need military sticker undecided

the way I target lastma purposely especially whenever I roll into the mainland Lagos eh, e be like say their spirit sef dey tell them to avoid me. very wicked set of f.o.o.l.s
Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by kenock: 11:12pm On Dec 19, 2014
APC!!! CHANGE!!! Are you new? if you are not "frustrated" that is taxed here, no tax for the "government" or do you think those uniform men, LASTMA, VIO, LASWMA, LASMOE, LASNILE, LASBEM, LASG, LASPOCO LASTAXUNION, ASSOCIATION and so on are given uniform to wave you safe jorny? Eko oni baje!!!!!

1 Like

Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by solasola(m): 11:58pm On Dec 19, 2014
100Cents:

You know them very well.

APC states promote agberooism and extortion.

dont politicize issues. ABIA, A PDP STATE IS WORSE THAN LAGOS. I SAW HELL DRIVING A BUS THERE. A VERY LAWLESS STATE. YOU JUST DONT DRIVE A BUS AS A PRIVATE CAR. OR CARRY GOODS IN YOUR CAR. AGBERO FULL THERE. TICKETS EVERY WHERE, DIFFERENT TICKETS FOR THE STATE AND THE CAPITAL. I LIVED IN UMUAHIA FOR YEARS AND FREQUENT ABIA WELLA.
Re: My Car Was Seized By Lastma For Not Having Lagos Drivers Sticker. by 100Cents: 3:48am On Dec 20, 2014
solasola:

dont politicize issues. ABIA, A PDP STATE IS WORSE THAN LAGOS. I SAW HELL DRIVING A BUS THERE. A VERY LAWLESS STATE. YOU JUST DONT DRIVE A BUS AS A PRIVATE CAR. OR CARRY GOODS IN YOUR CAR. AGBERO FULL THERE. TICKETS EVERY WHERE, DIFFERENT TICKETS FOR THE STATE AND THE CAPITAL. I LIVED IN UMUAHIA FOR YEARS AND FREQUENT ABIA WELLA.

Once your bus or any car has a RED plate number, you are required by law to pay a certain amount of money to the state government on daily basis for operating a commercial vehicle .

The Abia I know cannot be worse than Lagos or Onitsha.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Amazing New Cars From The 2019 Geneva Motor Show / Tesla Is Causing Battery Shortage Worldwide / Auction Export

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.