Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,475 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:11 AM

Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? (16608 Views)

10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires / Welcome To The Village Where They Drink The Same Water With Goats (PHOTO) / Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by waternogeteneny: 1:31pm On Dec 21, 2014
Yes! It is suppose to be done in your fathers compound in the village to be validated by ur umunna.

In line with Nigeria custom and tradition laws, traditional marriage in lagos is not valid.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Dollarjunkie: 1:31pm On Dec 21, 2014
I did mine on nairaland

3 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by sCun: 1:31pm On Dec 21, 2014
Babygal4eva:
I don't belive it's a must... my cousins didn't do their's in our village so why should I? my village is a fetish place according to my Mum so going to do your trad wedding there is at your own risk.

Two of my cousins recently did their weddings and they both did both the trad and white on the same day in Lagos and the village people came so it's not a must in my opinion. I'm Igbo by the way
Your Mom is a whoree and you are a disgrace for typing such senseless thing in public.
Keep thinking Lagos is your father's land until your eyes will be opened.

11 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by dodorima147(m): 1:33pm On Dec 21, 2014
Capital YES,don't mind dose who tink dey can do it any wia dey like.Tank God u called it traditional dat implies dat village can nt be overluk

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Nobody: 1:35pm On Dec 21, 2014
I for one think it is good to do your traditional marriage in your home town, reasons being as follows:

1. In Igboland it is believed that it is the community that jointly own a child and not just the parents. These are your roots and as such it is not wise for you to sideline them while doing your trad. You can take your wedding to Jupiter no one cares but for that trad do it at home. You may argue that they can travel and come but let me ask you will your aged grand parents that have been dreaming of their grad daughter's wedding day also travel to lag in their weakness?

2. Even though it is not a strong point to say that a traditional marriage is incomplete except you do it in your hometown. This is fallacious because all it takes for a marriage to be tagged traditional is the order that was applied. Is it English principles and law (i.e.) statutory marriage-the so called court or white wedding or is it customary law i.e. Igbo, Yoruba or Tiv custom? Hence, one can be London and successfully do a valid Igbo traditional marriage so long as the couples follow the order and customs of the Igbo. After all people do their white weddings in their villa and that has not converted the white wedding to a trad. In essence location does not detract or add to the nature of a marriage.
But then as a strong proponent of custom particularly my Igbo root, I don't like it when people do their trads outside Igboland. It makes it look like they are alienating themselves from their people. Most Igbos live outside of Igboland and then occasionally travel home. Trad is one of those reasons that bring you home and reconnect you with your kith and kin. This reconnection is very important because many a people have married their cousins and relations without knowing it just cos they don't ever go home and know their extended families.

Some people accuse all their village people as being willie willie (witch) and would do everything possible to stay away from them but they don't know that tomorrow cannot be predicted. There is an adage that says if something pursues a man from his papa house then he takes safety in his mama house. Eg this Boko Haram insurgency has made people flee from their base and some have no hope of going to their villa because they don't even know where it is.

That is why I advise some people to ensure they plant an iroko tree in their father's compound as a landmark before they take their nuptial flight to Lagos, Abuja and co, so that the day one thing will start pursuing them from their base, their children will at least use the iroko to recognise their father's house in the villa.

E kenekwa m unu.

14 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by tempem: 1:38pm On Dec 21, 2014
Drsmith01:

like yhu abi
Lol... Yes. grin
Drsmith01:

like yhu abi
Lol... Yes.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by clemz85(m): 1:39pm On Dec 21, 2014
custom things some time pisses me off,
if one have a good compound that could
contain guests why not host it
there.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by badex11: 1:39pm On Dec 21, 2014
Gentle reminder

SHE NEEDS YOUR VOTE

Here is the voting link

https://cussonsbabymoments.com/details.php?ref=276 
THAT’S HER!!!

Please kindly vote for my daughter

All you need to do is like her picture

Please confirm the name before voting

Her name is DEBORAH ANJOLAOLUWA OGUNTIMEHIN

Please Forward this message on her behalf.

THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS YOU.

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by clemz85(m): 1:41pm On Dec 21, 2014
likeseriously:
I for one think it is good to do your traditional marriage in your home town, reasons being as follows:

1. In Igboland it is believed that it is the community that jointly own a child and not just the parents. These are your roots and as such it is not wise for you to sideline them while doing your trad.

as if any of them contributed a dime to
your making,

root my foot

4 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Diamonddamsel: 1:42pm On Dec 21, 2014
It all depends on your tradition.We Yorubas are not bound to go to the village so long as you carry your people along on your plans.It can be done wherever you reside even outside Nigeria Its acceptable.However i know most Ibos go to their Village.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Ferdinandu(m): 1:42pm On Dec 21, 2014
As an Ibo doing it in the village is part of what makes it traditional. If you don't want to do it in the village, it will be better you forget it and go ahead and do the church or court wedding, after all nobody will arrest you for doing that. Or better still pack your load and go and start living with your Partner without doing any at all, you still didn't commit any crime but leave our tradition from that your weird idea.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:43pm On Dec 21, 2014
Babygal4eva:
I don't belive it's a must... my cousins didn't do their's in our village so why should I? my village is a fetish place according to my Mum so going to do your trad wedding there is at your own risk.

Two of my cousins recently did their weddings and they both did both the trad and white on the same day in Lagos and the village people came so it's not a must in my opinion. I'm Igbo by the way

Please shut your mouth! How dare u call ur village a fettish place? U need an education and u need enlightenment. Stop this ur colonial mentality. You are still a black woman ok.

7 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Collynzo9: 1:46pm On Dec 21, 2014
clemz85:

your making,

root my foot
Then do your church wedding and forget the traditional one, it is not difficult na.
Anything other than doing it in your hometown isn't traditional in Igbo culture, maybe in another culture.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by DonaldGenes(m): 1:49pm On Dec 21, 2014
chimerase2:
Our take ?
Wen ur dad has told u everi tin undecided

Ok ma own take na bush e good to do amu angry

you make no sense bruh.....
Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by DonaldGenes(m): 1:51pm On Dec 21, 2014
Babygal4eva:

you make sense dear.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Dec 21, 2014
Chizzy20:
My dad informed me of my cousin's wedding dat would b taking place at d village dis festive period, i den used d opportunity to ask him if its a must to do ones traditional wedding at d village, he was lyk yes its a must especially for we d female kids cos its customary so it won't seem as if we re OSU cos am from d eastern part of Nigeria nd to also show d family we re getting married to dat we ve roots and cum from sumwhere..I immediately closed d subject cos I didn't want to argue wit him, bt left wit me would prefer doing mine where I base..just want to know ur take on dis.
you sound like all this "my papa say I be igbo" I bet u can't even speak ur language,Imagine question

9 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Adiwana: 1:53pm On Dec 21, 2014
Na must oo!my 4 cousins who live in the UK married oyinbo but at the end of the day had their trad.marriage at villa.but there were not present..people represented them..buh was it in my villa? Yea!

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Anaskie(m): 1:54pm On Dec 21, 2014
cynthia3d:
:Ur. Dad has finished telling u d story. So no need to argue its like so for the easterners no copy yoruba oooooo na dem dey trad even for main road cheesy
God bless u swty. Dis was the same question a friend of mine asked me some months ago. When I told her that it was customary to have the traditional marriage in the village, she was really surprised.

She told me that her 2 elder sisters and her elder brother, who are all married did their trad weddings in the city, without even consulting the people in the village.

Anyways, she happens to be one of these Igbo girls who were born and bred in Ibadan, so somehow, they believe they are now Yorubas. The silly girl has been to her village only once in her life and doesn't understand a word of Igbo.

I really don't blame these Yoruba peeps sometimes when they say nasty things about Igbos trying to claim their ancestral lands.

Efulefu

8 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by tonychristopher: 2:00pm On Dec 21, 2014
Chizzy20:
My dad informed me of my cousin's wedding dat would b taking place at d village dis festive period, i den used d opportunity to ask him if its a must to do ones traditional wedding at d village, he was lyk yes its a must especially for we d female kids cos its customary so it won't seem as if we re OSU cos am from d eastern part of Nigeria nd to also show d family we re getting married to dat we ve roots and cum from sumwhere..I immediately closed d subject cos I didn't want to argue wit him, bt left wit me would prefer doing mine where I base..just want to know ur take on dis.

You must be all these my papa say I be Igbo people ...
Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by eagleeye2: 2:01pm On Dec 21, 2014
Olasum:
I don't think it's compulsory unless the bride father hasn't build a house in their current city or due to tradition or believe
Are you Igbo?
Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by tonychristopher: 2:02pm On Dec 21, 2014
Babygal4eva:

.were your family exiled and ostracized from the village ? That is why such thing can happen

6 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Dec 21, 2014
Chizzy20:

d witches u dey fear fear for village still dey where u base o. no where to run

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by eagleeye2: 2:05pm On Dec 21, 2014
I can see the ladies are thinking of a way to turn tradition (in this case wedding) upside down.
I guess it's a way of being heard and being equal....... well, I wish those thinking of marrying an igbo daughter outside her village luck.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by eagleeye2: 2:08pm On Dec 21, 2014
Babygal4eva:

Je ju ese........shey na for town your papa marry your mama........Abi na case of #demtellmesayIbeIgbo

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by eagleeye2: 2:12pm On Dec 21, 2014
Hmm..

My sister who lives in chicago married a nigerian-american guy.

Both met in chi town. Did the traditional bit but did not step foot in nigeria. They happen to cordinate it somehow over the phone and representitives from both villages did the traditional bit in their absence.

I dont think both my sister and brother-in-law cared much but my father is still a bit true to some nigerian traditions and customs. So my sister, god bless her, played along.

She had a fabulous chicago church wedding tho.
LMAO......Like seriously.
So for your left mind your cousin don do traditional wedding........Imagine conducting traditional wedding over the phone......why them no do Skype instead
grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by eagleeye2: 2:15pm On Dec 21, 2014
englishmart:
still wondering why I will have to travel all the way from the states to Enugu just for a traditional marriage
EFULEFU

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by clemz85(m): 2:16pm On Dec 21, 2014
Collynzo9:

Then do your church wedding and forget the traditional one, it is not difficult na.
Anything other than doing it in your hometown isn't traditional in Igbo culture, maybe in another culture.

that true any way
Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by eagleeye2: 2:20pm On Dec 21, 2014
clemz85:

your making,

root my foot
Abeg Mr. Self Made Man, nobody is actually begging that you do a traditional wedding.
You can easily kidnap you girlfriend and impregnate her to start having babies for you....or you simply live with her #happilyeverafter

4 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Dec 21, 2014
Zedric:

I am Yoruba and I can tell confidently that its not a traditional wedding if done outside the village

*facepalm* what is this one saying bayi??

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Dec 21, 2014
eagleeye2:
I can see the ladies are thinking of a way to turn tradition (in this case wedding) upside down.
I guess it's a way of being heard and being equal....... well, I wish those thinking of marrying an igbo daughter outside her village luck.

What is this again? How is this one a lady's fault? Mba, it's an offence to now ave an opinion as a lady, e don equal feminism?? I'm not surprised. You are following your president's footsteps. Always making excuses, 200naira = 1 dollar, it is the ladies' fault.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by lolababe331e: 2:29pm On Dec 21, 2014
So many uncouth children on nairaland angry imagine someone insulting her mother just because her gave her opinion undecided do you know what the woman may have experienced for her to warn her daughter? Some people have horrible experiences of their villages and if you were lucky to have good experiences you should respect the right of others to state their opinions.

Anyone who can call someone else's mother a LovePeddler has no home training and obviously does not respect his own mother angry

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Olasum(f): 2:35pm On Dec 21, 2014
Zedric:
So a traditional wedding should be done where the bride's father has a house? Interesting. Its called a traditional wedding 4 a reason
so what's traditional wedding

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? / Do African's Love Asian People? / Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.