Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:46 AM

..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? (8864 Views)

Abducted Muslim Children Forcefully Converted To Christianity In Edo Idp Camp. / "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" / Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Alexk2(m): 11:32pm On Dec 20, 2014
..So many
denominations; a blessing of a curse to Christianity?

For a long time i've been thinking seriously about this very question.
looking through the bible, i find out that the early believers never had
different churches for different group of believers....you'll only read
about the 'church at ephesus, @ corinth, @ Sardis, philipi,..e.t.c
which are only necessary because of distance/geographical locatns but
all are still under same leadership(the apostles and elders).
In I Corintians chapter 3, Apostle Paul warned the corithians when
issues of who to follow wanted to cause division among the believers; He
called this an act of canality.

Here we are with too many denominations with different
doctrines/traditions with some contradicting each other. I know there
are advantages to be derived in all these but is the disadvantages not
too much these days?
In John 17, Jesus prays for unity repeatedly and i strongly believe, it
is because of the future He saw then.

what is your say?...do you believe it is more of a problem than
blessing?....
air your view pls.!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by holatin(m): 11:57pm On Dec 20, 2014
A problem

1 Like

Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by herald9: 12:00am On Dec 21, 2014
The number of churches will continue multiplying in Nigeria as long as pastors are graduating from theological schools and people are getting imaginary callings.

Of course it can't be a curse if there's is money to be made.

12 Likes

Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Kingmee: 12:08am On Dec 21, 2014
To put this ?? in another way; is God happy with this trend at all?...especially with so much contradictions here and there.
Mod, move this to fp pls....

3 Likes

Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Alexk2(m): 12:35am On Dec 21, 2014
holatin:
A problem

tell us how it is a problem, bro.
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Alexk2(m): 12:40am On Dec 21, 2014

author=herald9 post=29064976] The number of
churches will continue multiplying in Nigeria as long as pastors are
graduating from theological schools and people are getting imaginary
callings.

Of course it can't be a curse if there's is money to be made.

but money is never the focus of a true church but Jesus Christ. if you last statement is true about all Churches, then we are in a serious mess already.

2 Likes

Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Alexk2(m): 12:43am On Dec 21, 2014

author=Kingmee post=29065089]To put this ?? in another way; is God
happy with this trend at all?...especially with so much contradictions
here and there.
Mod, move this to fp pls....

I'll leave your question for others to answer first.

Mods., do the needful please.
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Nobody: 1:05am On Dec 21, 2014
Is a problem to Christendom, imagine some churches don't marry each other.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by talibilm: 5:44am On Dec 21, 2014
wiki says there are 41,000 denominations in christianity .
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Kingmee: 6:27am On Dec 21, 2014
adeitoro;

can you imagine that?...yet we claim to be serving same God..
..no wonder CAN can hardly speak same voice.

3 Likes

Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by lionduke(m): 6:53am On Dec 21, 2014
I believe in one Catholic church, the communion of saints, the resuration of the body, and life ever lasting.

18 Likes

Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by ayobase(m): 6:53am On Dec 21, 2014
Alexk2:
..So many
denominations; a blessing of a curse to Christianity?

For a long time i've been thinking seriously about this very question.
looking through the bible, i find out that the early believers never had
different churches for different group of believers....you'll only read
about the 'church at ephesus, @ corinth, @ Sardis, philipi,..e.t.c
which are only necessary because of distance/geographical locatns but
all are still under same leadership(the apostles and elders).
In I Corintians chapter 3, Apostle Paul warned the corithians when
issues of who to follow wanted to cause division among the believers; He
called this an act of canality.

Here we are with too many denominations with different
doctrines/traditions with some contradicting each other. I know there
are advantages to be derived in all these but is the disadvantages not
too much these days?
In John 17, Jesus prays for unity repeatedly and i strongly believe, it
is because of the future He saw then.

what is your say?...do you believe it is more of a problem than
blessing?....
air your view pls.!

God is dynamic. Of course we also should be dynamic. We are created in His likeness.

Many discoveries and inventions have been possible as a result divine deposition.
Adam was able to name every animal.

Years ago, we virtually had only Army.
But, today we have Navy, Air force, FRSC, Civil Service and the likes for the different purposes.
Humans improvised along the line for efficacy and efficiency.

Years before New Testament, only a congregation was allowed.
Years later in the New Testament, we have countable number of churches.

Churches can be likened to the Military.
As Air force is to the Air.
As Army is to the Ground.
As Navy is to the Water.
As Police is to Enforcing Law and others.
As FRSC is to Road Safety
As Civil service is to Ensure Peace
As Man' O War is to Supporting the Society Socially.
.........and many more.

So is;
Redeem Church to Praise
Winners Church to Prosperity
Deeperlife Church to the Word
MFM Church to Deliverance and Prayer
........and among other churches that share the same calling, but all bound together in Jesus Christ.

Though, we are many, but we are one body in Christ.
In as much as we have fake churches, so we have countless sound churches.
So, you have no excuse of not belonging to one. Know where you can fit in and be blessed.

4 Likes

Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Vivipop(f): 6:54am On Dec 21, 2014
It's a massive problem, one that questions the genuineness of the christian faith.

1 Like

Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Nobody: 6:55am On Dec 21, 2014
The question should not be about whether they are too many denominations, but whether the pastors and leaders of such denominations are promoting Christ above all else, including the practices and traditions of such denominations.

Because that is what Christians in Nigeria should be doing.....following Christ above all else.

6 Likes

Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by sccofield(m): 6:55am On Dec 21, 2014
problem
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Nobody: 6:58am On Dec 21, 2014
We are one body in christ inrespective of the tongue
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Iyanusele(m): 6:58am On Dec 21, 2014
I must say it is very bad cos Christians cannot be united under one umbrella any more, a vivid example is the denominations that are now in students fellowships, NCCF etc........is soooo disheartening
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by miembamish(m): 6:59am On Dec 21, 2014
Its a very big problem. Because;

Pastors are nw preaching, not to convert people, but to get members.

Pastors preach more of prosperity than repentance.

Pastors even kill themselves because of competition...

1 Like

Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by kazmanbanjoko(m): 6:59am On Dec 21, 2014
What type of denomination? Is it mathematical or spiritual.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by scozy(m): 7:00am On Dec 21, 2014
thinking
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by KpStone(m): 7:00am On Dec 21, 2014
Jews, believers and unbelievers. Every other thing is man made.
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Nobody: 7:00am On Dec 21, 2014
If only some so-called xtians were to hav islamic background, they wud av been worse than ISIL.

adeitoro:

2 Likes

Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by jnrbayano(m): 7:00am On Dec 21, 2014
Curse

In John 17:21, Jesus prayed for all believers;

"that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me."

Martin Luther became wiser than Jesus and veered off. Others followed suit.

Now, there are many holy spirits and denominations due to greed.

God bless the one holy Catholic and apostolic church.
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by merit12(f): 7:00am On Dec 21, 2014
Don't knoe
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by braintext(m): 7:02am On Dec 21, 2014
[size=18pt]There are only two churches - The Church of Jesus Christ and The Church Of Satan [/size]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by shyshally(f): 7:02am On Dec 21, 2014
Its a problem oh,these days you see parents telling their kids if you won't go to my own church(denomination),then leave my house,there's so much dis unity in the church today because of this issue,every denomination feels and thinks his/her own is better than the other.this is soo wrong,the church is supposed to be united not separated by denominations
It has brought dis harmony in many homes because of this issue,and its almost too late to turn back,as someone said above,there are too much denominations already

1 Like

Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Bitojoe(m): 7:05am On Dec 21, 2014
Only children of darkness can bring up this topic...
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Nobody: 7:05am On Dec 21, 2014
ayobase:

God is dynamic
But never changes..
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Nobody: 7:05am On Dec 21, 2014
Bitojoe:
Only children of darkness can bring up this topic...
Indeed, the children of Yahweh are such an ignorant bunch.
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Nobody: 7:06am On Dec 21, 2014
braintext:
[size=28pt]There is only one Church - The Church Of Satan [/size]
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Brightology2(m): 7:06am On Dec 21, 2014
K
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by amakufrancis(m): 7:06am On Dec 21, 2014
About to kick religion aside

advice needed

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Indians Are Throwing their Idols Inside River For Not Saving India From Covid-19 / Shiloh 2006: 'Destined To Win' / Nairaland Book Of Proverbs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.