Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,319 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:45 AM

I’ll Revolutionalise Nigerian Agro-allied Sector, Says Youth Farmer - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / I’ll Revolutionalise Nigerian Agro-allied Sector, Says Youth Farmer (911 Views)

I’m On Crusade To Revolutionise The Agro-allied Sector —chukwuemeka Nwachinemere / I’m On Crusade To Revolutionise The Agro-allied Sector —chukwuemeka Nwachinemere / US Farmer Grows Multi-coloured Corn (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I’ll Revolutionalise Nigerian Agro-allied Sector, Says Youth Farmer by CuteAma(f): 1:26pm On Dec 21, 2014
Nwachinemere, a University of Nigeria, Nsukka, (UNN) graduate of Mechanical Engineering is CEO of Living Mega Industries Limited, Oyo. He did his NYSC programme in Oyo and set up his farm business there. This agripreneur, who commenced farming in 2013 is currently running a farm worth N6 million. He shared his fascinating story with SIAKA MOMOH
When did the business commence?
Livingstone Mega Industries Limited was incorporated on March 4, 2011, but it wasn’t until April 5, 2013, that we began any business venture.
Why choice of agriculture?
I had always known I would wind up in business, but when and in what type of business eluded me. It was 11:23 am, Monday November 22, 2010, during the inaugural edition of ‘The Heir Apparent’; a leadership/entrepreneurship reality television show sponsored by the National Orientation Agency, at the events hall of Nigerian Tourism Development Board, that an address to the then contestants by Otunba Runsewe, the then DG, was to change my life forever.
I was then in my penultimate year, studying Mechanical Engineering at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, and then I swore to take up a cause, to be a vanguard of change, and revolutionize the agroallied sector, ensuring that I put my education to good purpose and to see that there would not be any single crop that leaves the shores of Nigeria without value addition.
I was particularly passionate about ginger, a crop I discovered fetched our local farmers next to nothing while foreign companies made over 200 per cent profit exporting ginger extracts back to us. It was and is still one of the anomalies I seek to address. Again, I have a vision to create five million new jobs and end extreme poverty and hunger.
Is this your first job, if not what were you doing before starting this business?
Yes, this is my first job, that is, if we decide to overlook my job as a Physics teacher at Government Technical College, Iseyin, during the mandatory National Youth Service.
What are your challenges?
Currently, our challenge remains getting our products approved by NAFDAC. It is one issue I would want to be addressed. We do not have a factory now – in a layout that meets NAFDAC’s regulation. While I am, and will always remain a strong advocate for quality and regulated products, it is my belief that SMEs must be considered in this respect.
How much is your business worth?
Presently, this business is worth over six million naira by our own valuations, which took into consideration equipment, crops like plantain, cassava, maize and pineapple on 31 hectares of farmland as well as over 100 hectares of land we recently acquired for our expansion plan.
How much of the various commodities do you produce monthly, annually?
Apart from maize, which we are able to grow three times a year, all other crops we grow are annual. We are able to produce 100 tons of maize, 84 tons of pineapple, 300 tons of cassava, and 21 tons of plantain.
We have also introduced to the market dehydrated fruit chips that include chips from pineapple, banana, apple, mango, and coconut; a growth industry that has already shown a lot of promise. We also intend to boost our output by embarking on bio-fortified cassava and plantain processing.
Have you ever had post-harvest loss experience?
We did have that problem last year, where we were forced to sell our maize at a loss because we didn’t have adequate storage and drying equipment. That is an angle where we are working really hard to avoid a repeat.
Any pest or insect attack problem; if any, how are you coping?
We haven’t experienced any pest or insect attack so far. However, we have had our crops destroyed by cattle severally. One was so bad that we took the case to the police, having identified the cattle’s owner who had accepted it was his. We were so annoyed when the police said that they could only charge for trespassing and no more.
Currently, we meet with the Baales in the places our farms are and they call a meeting with the Fulanis and the farmers. Also, we have had to employ farm hands who visit the farm to ensure that there is no cattle invasion.
Why choice of Oyo for your farm?
It was a question of where I could easily get land, coupled with the fact that I had done my NYSC there.
Do you have clusters of farms in Oyo?
Yes, we have farm clusters at Iseyin and Okaka, both in Oyo, Iwo in Osun, as well as a farm we haven’t yet cultivated in Kwali, Abuja.
How do you sell your produce?
Currently, we sell within the local market. However, with our expansion plan, we intend to process most of the commodities we produce and more for the export market.
There is this issue of foreign countries, Arab countries in particular, approaching Nigeria for land to grow crops for their country. How do you react to this?
It is a horrific development. First, we have been cut off from competitive manufacturing to all intents and purposes and now we would also throw away what amounts to our comparative advantage. If we have allowed ourselves to become a consumer nation, why can’t our lands and food production be our one leverage? Must we throw that away as well? Secondly, as these moneybags encroach on our arable lands, land that can be farmed gets limited; what will we tell the next generation of would-be farmers should there be no land to farm. That is my two pence on that.
How has the LBS programme impacted on your business?
As I keep telling my friends, the addition to my education at Lagos Business School, sponsored by Etisalat, is invaluable; one whose impact is t r e m e n – dous. From LBS itself, I soaked in the culture of excellence. From what I learnt, I have been able to transform my busi- ness by strength- ening corporate gove r nance, built a strong financial system. For the first time as a business owner, I placed myself on a salary. We have also made research and innovation at the core of what we do. All round my business has been structured and positioned to achieve our set objectives.
Where do you think your business will be in five years from now?
In the next five years, we would have 20,000 hectares integrated farm where all we cultivate would be processed and exported to other countries.
How would you assess Federal Government’s agriculture transformation agenda?
For want of a better word to use, I would say it has been transformational. The minister of agriculture deserves all the plaudits coming his way. However, a lot more needs to be done to ensure that incentives meant for farmers actually get to them.
What is your take on cassava bread?
It is a laudable initiative; one that has a lot of potential if managed well. However, its adoption is not one that can be achieved by just policy reversals; the stakeholders must be listened to. They know where the shoe pinches.
Would you say government is giving enough attention to agric now?
Well, left to me, I would say that compared to the moribund state it was before we are doing better, but I do feel that enough attention can never be paid to this sector, not until its past glory is restored and surpassed; not until it once more becomes our largest contributor to our GDP.
FG has released various funds for the development of cassava bread, rice, sugar – food security generally. Would you say these funds have had positive impact on agriculture?
While the released funds is a development that is laudable, I must reiterate that until access to those funds are no longer an open secret, any impact it could have would be minimal.
How do you react to Nigeria not having a functional commodity exchange?
It is a very sad development; one that makes the average farmer like lamb to the slaughter, to be unduly exploited. It must be addressed, else, more farmers could desert this noble profession.
How do you feel being a young farmer?
It is a great feeling knowing you are part of something; a great revolution that will transform this nation; it is even greater knowing you practice what you preach. During my training sessions for youths like me seeking to engage in farming, as well as my other public speaking e n g a g e – ments; the moment I am most alive is when the fire lights up in their eyes as they witnessed what we h a v e achieved in so short a time. In a nutshell, I feel euphoric.
Source:
http://lm.?u=http%3A%2F%2Fnewtelegraphonline.com%2Fill-revolutionalise-nigerian-agro-allied-sector-says-youth-farmer%2F&h=oAQF7jpox&enc=AZN_Euvs5ULL87cZIB9Rzyb_Cghn33QdwDPiEhesP8thvCT-nq_C90DO2djHEJSGXjF_COUDM8np4LKOaPXuuUOcYbYpkunnmZkfSbFC2VRqNhIYmcEmBVSXuuJdg1sKiLKPErJlr8hjCjg3oudrMrfS&s=1
Re: I’ll Revolutionalise Nigerian Agro-allied Sector, Says Youth Farmer by CuteAma(f): 2:25pm On Dec 21, 2014
I got this referral website that purportedly pays you for generating traffic to their clients website, from a friend.
You might want to check it out if it interests you and you can spare a minute of your time if it interests you. Tnx
http://lm.?u=http%3A%2F%2Fearn4youth.com%2F%3Fref%3D25507&h=sAQGmw58f&enc=AZOWqDwTci6VunKvYhPUk9ldLtFKF95pUgkPtaxUR-_DM2l5bO7FTUBYtlEjHrZQHRpyKo5wQLijqbqMhbNReV9O&s=1

(1) (Reply)

Local Buka Vs Classy Buka / Delicious Meals You Can Prepare Without Using Tomatoes / Where Lagosians Can Buy A Bag Of Rice For N12k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.