Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,912 members, 7,821,178 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:20 AM

Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) (18275 Views)

30 Facts About Owners Of Nigeria’s Richest Oil Blocks In The Midst Of Poverty / Chimamanda Adichie's NYTimes Article On Nigeria's Epileptic Power Supply / US: Boko Haram A Franchise Hired By North & South, Alike – Nytimes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by tangent(f): 6:44pm On Dec 09, 2008
game_rod:

and how many people sleep on the streets of Los Angeles, on the streets of Holywood, and how many people sleep under the bridges in America, what the hell is the reporter trying to talk about? America o America, amidst plenty, amidst affluence, lots do not know where their next meal is coming from, lots have shelters under bridges, so, what the big deal about Nigeria? Reporter and those who thinks he has said something great, kindly shove your diks inside your butt hole and let us hear word.

People in Nigeria may be poor, but yet happy, what the crap? I have been to extremely poor places in Lagos and I see SUVs that even people in Holywood can only dream of riding, yet, Nigeria and Nigerian people are poor and only live in VI etc, what a sorry mind the reporter has? If you don't have anything to write about, why not just shut up?

no need to be bitter. the author just highlighted the wide gulf in class in lagos. what i deduced from his article is there is no middle class in lagos. the upper class are very rich and the lower class are extremely poor.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by OBVIOUS(m): 6:45pm On Dec 09, 2008
Most of the middle class in the South and East are abroad.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by gamerod: 6:46pm On Dec 09, 2008
tangent:

no need to be bitter. the author just highlighted the wide gulf in class in lagos. what i deduced from his article is there is no middle class in lagos. the upper class are very rich and the lower class are extremely poor.

Shut the f up, you and him, he should first remove the specks in his eyes, in his country America, where there is a wide gap between the affluent and the rich, what is the big deal about the same thing in Nigeria? Which country has more under bridge dwellers in this world than in America? I am sick and tired of these foreign pests who only take one trip to Nigeria and thinks they have seen and known about the whole country to write gibberish and junk when they go back to their sick country.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by OBVIOUS(m): 6:48pm On Dec 09, 2008
As long as the structure of capitalism exists, there will always be a gapping hole between the rich and the poor.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by gamerod: 6:55pm On Dec 09, 2008
OBVIOUS:

As long as the structure of capitalism exists, there will always be a gapping hole between the rich and the poor.

So, is that peculiar to Nigeria? why wont white boy look at his country first and write about it?

If a black man visits America and write about the ills he witnessed there, be sure he wont be allowed in to America the next time, but here, it is the other way round, even Nigerians celebrate people who write so much factless ills about their country, sick people.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Nobody: 7:16pm On Dec 09, 2008
Well, I can see two sides of the story. The journalist has a right to his own opinion, yes, but I also deduced he was writing in such a tone, as to suggest that If you have money and are enjoying yourself, then its a crime, especially as people are suffering through no fault of your own. or that it might be as a result of corruption, if you have your cash then you should be able to enjoy it the way you want.
He also had a point about the corruption, we know that thats whats contributing to the decay in our society. But well, positive things are happening in our country, and we really do not need the bad press, especially from some yankee journalist who might not understand how things are here.
I am not sure how these foreigners would react if we wrote stuff like that about them,
But everyones entitled to their own opinion, including me.
Oh, and even if a "rich" guy has cash, he can't just go out there repairing roads and playing God, he'd make life comfy for himself and his family to the best of his ability, its simply human nature. Like someone said earlier, No one owes anyone anything.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by OBVIOUS(m): 7:21pm On Dec 09, 2008
@ game_rod

Of course not and I don't intend to argue with you. I think that even if you tell someone (an African) that America is not

the safe haven it claims to be or that there are just as many homeless and poor people,  They won't believe you. In

fact, they will view you as someone who is trying to prevent them from coming or getting to the "promised land."  Mind

you, don't forget that the media  (movies, the news, and documentaries) plays an extremely strong part in how people

view these two places. America/Europe is always viewed in a positive light, as the "safe haven" and "promised land"

while Africa, or Nigeria is this case is normally viewed as "animalistic" "poor" disease infested" and just bad,  Mind you,

most of the people who made their wealth would never have done so without the resources taken from Africa whether

its oil, diamond, gold, and such, Rockefeller, Marc rich and co,  the list is endless.  But we should also not forget that a

huge chunk of this negativity also comes from and is normally supported by Africans themselves,
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by texazzpete(m): 7:26pm On Dec 09, 2008
@game_rod
Of course the NY tImes writes articles about America. They also write articles about India, China, the Middle east, london etc. Every so often NEwsweek and TIME do a special feature on other places. The current TIME magazine has an article on Cuba as a cover feature.
In short, they write about the world.

Don't know why you've got your panties in a bunch over a simple article, There's nothing sinister about it, it's just a plain old expose. Nothing more.

You rant and ramble on as if the writer gave you a wedgie.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by tharma(f): 7:37pm On Dec 09, 2008
This guy just view it from a journalistic perspective. And you will be suprised as to how the Western media also talk about poverty in their country, but may be that will be within their own country. But the fact remain the fact: the opulence to poverty ration is just too wide. If u consider we dont have access to basic health care and sanitation, water and electricity. And even good roads. What the guy pointed out about bad road in Lagos is true. Im not sure wether something have being done, but last year when I was in Ikoyi, the road that passes in front of Ikoyi Club was horrible. But every minute or so u will c expensive cars doing Micheal Jackson's moves on the road trying to find a way to enter.

But kai Lagos is horrible. People just living to survive.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by abbgstar(m): 8:06pm On Dec 09, 2008
Lagos is expensive because we all have to pay for the inefficiency of government which is made worse by the killing pressure on amenities and infrastructures, where and when they are available. The extra cost is unnecessarily high and it is indicative of the general failure of leadership in Nigeria.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by anonimi: 8:08pm On Dec 09, 2008
tharma:

This guy just view it from a journalistic perspective. And you will be suprised as to how the Western media also talk about poverty in their country, but may be that will be within their own country. But the fact remain the fact: the opulence to poverty ration is just too wide.

Thank you oh!
But why naija journalist go write like that how I'm go take see egunje from politrickian wey dey enslave I'm with I'm relations them dey go!
Well, let's move to the next level, tenant to landlord anyone? or from zero to hero, somebody? ok, let's try from no-one to someone overnight?
welcome to lagos (naija), get rich or die trying- oh sorry, get rich no matter who you kill (directly or indirectly) on your way and to stay there.
a friend once told me solid business guys find it easier to make quick & crazy money in naija- go figure!
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by tharma(f): 8:12pm On Dec 09, 2008
This video I stummble upon it on youtube. I know some might have come across it, but it sure shows how pathetic our situation is. The video is very recent as u can see the new 20 and 50 naira notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFgb1BdPBZo&feature=PlayList&p=A45C69138DA189A3&playnext=1&index=41
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by adconline(m): 9:44pm On Dec 09, 2008
game-rod
Shut the f up, you and him, he should first remove the specks in his eyes, in his country America, where there is a wide gap between the affluent and the rich, what is the big deal about the same thing in Nigeria? Which country has more under bridge dwellers in this world than in America? I am sick and tired of these foreign pests who only take one trip to Nigeria and thinks they have seen and known about the whole country to write gibberish and junk when they go back to their sick country

You have given me an insight as to why our politicians insulate themselves from criticism and surround themselves with  sycophants.
Comparison between homeless in LA and someone in Aso Rock. A homeless man who over does dopes and passes out and a 911 call is made and  he is airlifted to UCLA center for treatment by best  doctors and the most powerful man in Nigeria- Yar'dua  passes out and I  frown abroad for simple exhaustion. So a homeless man in America has a better  access to health than your president.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by reindeer: 10:11pm On Dec 09, 2008
The writer just aired his own opinion about lagos with some stark truths and it seems to have ruffled a few feathers.
As for me really i think 50% or more of the people living in lagos have no business being there and they will be better off somewhere else, one of the first things i noticed with lagos after my NYSC back then was the fact that many were just ekeing out a living and really they probably should be home farming and demanding good governance from their govs.
message is, if lagos no pay you then GO HOME!
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by tpia: 11:11pm On Dec 09, 2008
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by tpia: 11:12pm On Dec 09, 2008
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Eziachi: 11:24pm On Dec 09, 2008
Those that are annoyed are doing so out of being products of dictatorship, where they are told what those in authority wants them to believe. If not what is so bad in the article if not the obvious?
Western media bashed their own govt all the time and some had made careers out of it.
Nigerians hated the truth and that is why they get the type of govts they get.
Some will rather listen to their crappy NTA telling them that their country is painted in gold and they will feel great.
Suffering/Smiling!!!!
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by CyberG: 11:48pm On Dec 09, 2008
I hope Nigerians are not in denial? Well, maybe some but this Nigerian is NOT in denial. The story SPOT ON and don't tell me something about Nigerians who live abroad but pretend to know more than people there! I visited Nigeria this very year - Lagos, Abuja, Ife, Ibadan, Imo State. Lagos has not changed significantly but measured against time, it seems to have retrogressed much more. How can it be that the roads that have been repaired / created in my city of about 1 Million people is far much more than all the roads that were repaired / made within Lagos of about 15 Million?

I actually did go out to see parts of Lagos (on foot) not inside some big car or some place where the rich men hold sway and what a shame of a place! You see people dressed in suit and ties going to work on a rainy day (yes, I was there during the rainy season) and I couldn't pity them more! Drains were completely overflooded, the roads was swamped, everyone was wet in their suit, ties and dresses and I imagined that same situation here -- I dare say very impossicant!

With a road that could never pass for a by-road (not even a range road) in any decent society, I saw everyone (okada, bus, taxi, peopple) hustling and hugging this road - man must survive! Don't "our leaders" see the roads? Don't day-to-day users see the road? I guess we all do but we are so used to it and now that a foreigner makes honest assessment (doing his job), someone is ranting and raving about NY, Queens, etc.

The joke is on you and us! What a shame! What a backward society that refuses to move forward with all the oil money, abundant natural and human resources that other countries may only dream of but could never have! I know Nigerians are well traveled and we can see the clear difference in our host nations (of course they are not perfect too) but it is clear Nigeria is hopelessly far behind. In fact, given the current political-economic-infrastructure disaster Nigeria is, without any improvement, it will be the perfect example of a country gone to hell in a trailer basket!
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by KnowAll(m): 11:57pm On Dec 09, 2008
But come to think of it Lagos expensive no be small, how could one justifying paying between $250.00 to $400 dollars a night  at sheraton, the room is not any better than a 3 star hotel in london and a room in london is about £60. it be like say dem don see mugu wey no work for in money. I am sure our leaders are aware of these disparity but did not see anything wrong with it.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by otoidea(m): 1:39am On Dec 10, 2008
all these comments av been funny mehn! lol

but hu says thers no middle class in lagos??

las giddi is like every other city in the world. just with a few perks tht makes it unique

we live with it and we love the city, no mattr wher i go, its always back to GIDDI!

as they say, eko o ni baje grin
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Cayon(f): 1:44am On Dec 10, 2008
Nigeria is such a beautiful place, although a lot of local poverty. . . .errr the outside is different from the inside where unfortunately the poor are getting poorer.  I think i know why some Nigerians leave their country - for better social and economic opportunities.

Peace

Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by otoidea(m): 1:50am On Dec 10, 2008
its ezier 2 get rich in lagos than anywher else. just open your eyes and make urself valuable.
4 starters no1 is gon discriminate ur race or nethn. if u av the right qualities, ud get the right jobs. its always wierd when i hear pple say theyv been lookin for jobs. if u go to 2-3 companies without getting hired, review/improve urself!

an average person in lagos educated or not can climb from poor to middle to rich. its jst a matter of the "person".

ne1 tht decides to just sit back lamenting nd complaining bout ish IS ON A LONG THIN!
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Muza(m): 2:04am On Dec 10, 2008
Cayon:

Nigeria is such a beautiful place, although a lot of local poverty. . . .errr the outside is different from the inside where unfortunately the poor are getting poorer.  I think i know why some Nigerians leave their country - for better social and economic opportunities.

Peace

Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by otoidea(m): 2:12am On Dec 10, 2008
oga muza u neva see beta pisure of lagos 2 post?
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by somidot(m): 2:15am On Dec 10, 2008
Lagos O Lagos, how wonderful thou art. from the ages past to the ages to come. that is how lagos was, is and is to come. there is no city, state or country that does not have its own. if na only Lagos we know why shout. have you been to the slums of these so called developed first worlds? or you believe only what is seen on tv? the main thing is that at lease someone is now trying to do something about it in the person of our amiable Governor.

lets pray he finishes this first phase before his detractors surely get to him.
eko o ni baje smiley
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Cayon(f): 2:21am On Dec 10, 2008
Muza:

Your name rings a bell.  I know a half-caste like me who has the same name like you

Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Muza(m): 2:33am On Dec 10, 2008
Cayon:

Your name rings a bell.  I know a half-caste like me who has the same name like you

oh thats great then,i think it will be great too if we could get to know each other,then we see what can develop,
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by angel101(f): 3:38am On Dec 10, 2008
all of those asking 4 comparisons btw the high brow areas and slums of america i think are missing the point cos the areas mentioned in the article are the most expensive real estate in w/africa and yet they surely pass for slums.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Cayon(f): 3:59am On Dec 10, 2008
Muza:

oh thats great then,i think it will be great too if we could get to know each other,then we see what can develop,
This is not the romance section

Question fi u: how vital is nigeria to the US economy.

Peace

Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by earTHMama: 4:06am On Dec 10, 2008
www.nairaland.com/attachments/115155_ug_JPGe0e0bfaf971c070f8c9541c1578a1273

This is one of the factories where almajiris are made. The north is tainting our image big time. See the *Northern man begging with his 5 wives and uncountable children. Before you know it, these kids will grow in lagos and become a nuisance to the society.

Resist Almajiri factories in the south.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Muza(m): 4:13am On Dec 10, 2008
earTHMama:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/115155_ug_JPGe0e0bfaf971c070f8c9541c1578a1273

This is one of the factories where almajiris are made. The north is tainting our image big time. See the *Northern man begging with his 5 wives and uncountable children. Before you know it, these kids will grow in lagos and become a nuisance to the society.

Resist Almajiri factories in the south.

You don't know waht you are talking about those are the parent of militants,the children will grow up to become militants grin
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by earTHMama: 4:24am On Dec 10, 2008
You don't know waht you are talking about those are the parent of militants,the children will grow up to become militants

Those aboki at the far end of the picture look like militants to you? angry angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

INEC Officially Releases Presidential Results. / Police Begins Aerial Surveillance Patrol Of Abuja / Return All Our Stolen Artifacts - Lai Mohammed Warns Foreign Nations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.