Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,641 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:08 PM

Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) (18268 Views)

30 Facts About Owners Of Nigeria’s Richest Oil Blocks In The Midst Of Poverty / Chimamanda Adichie's NYTimes Article On Nigeria's Epileptic Power Supply / US: Boko Haram A Franchise Hired By North & South, Alike – Nytimes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by AdamBrody1(m): 2:33pm On Dec 09, 2008
Opulence and Chaos Meet in an African Boomtown

By WILL CONNORS
Published: December 8, 2008

LAGOS, Nigeria — The governor’s son sits hunched at the bar, contemplating his nearly empty bottle of Hennessy. On the dance floor, the airline director’s daughter sways back and forth to a hip-hop beat. Nearby, the star soccer player, just in from London, tries to squeeze past his growing circle of fans and hangers-on. In the center of the club, the oil magnate’s son gets on top of a table and takes a swig from a bottle of Dom Pérignon.

Just another Saturday night in Lagos, one of Africa’s money- and contrast-rich boomtowns. Already a city of superlatives on the continent (it has variously been deemed Africa’s most traffic-plagued, most populous and fastest-growing megacity), Lagos has a new title to add to its mantel: most expensive.

Lagos has always been one of the most powerful commercial hubs in West Africa, ever since slaves were first shipped from here to Europe and the Americas. But because of the rising price of oil, the declining United States dollar, the relocation of foreign workers from the oil-rich but kidnapping-prone Niger Delta, large privatization efforts and a mad dash for the city’s remaining plots of land, Lagos is more flush with cash and full of glitter than ever.

A recent study of the most expensive cities for expatriates by the consulting firm Mercer found that Lagos ranked 30th, making it only slightly less costly than New York but considerably more expensive than Los Angeles, Miami and Washington.

Even European cities like Stockholm and Barcelona, Spain, were found to be more affordable — and in Lagos the high prices are that much more eye-popping because the average Nigerian survives on less than $2 a day.

Evidence of vast amounts of money floating around the “islands” — two small pieces of land poking into the Atlantic that anchor the city’s economic activity and are home to banks, consulates and oil and telecommunications companies — is everywhere. Dinner for two at an average restaurant costs more than $200. A cocktail costs more than $15. A box of cereal costs $12 at a supermarket. Hotel rooms under $400 are difficult to find.

In the aisles of glistening new malls, expatriates and wealthy Nigerians often buy $10,000 watches and $5,000 cellphones. New BMWs, Mercedes-Benzes and Bentleys plod through grinding traffic, bumping over rocks and weaving around potholes.

Multimillion-dollar yachts speed up and down the creek separating the two islands. (The creek was recently determined to be too shallow for the biggest yachts, so a dredging project has been started to deepen the waterway.)

Apartment rents on the islands start at $3,000 a month, but rents of $6,000 to $7,000 a month are common here, and renters are required to pay two or three years of rent in advance.

But high prices do not always mean high quality. The city was built to accommodate fewer than 100,000 residents, but it is now home to an estimated 14 million or more, according to the state government. So no matter what your station in life is, it is impossible to avoid the city’s traffic or its lack of reliable water and electricity. Most homes and businesses on the islands run on diesel-powered generators nearly 24 hours a day, resulting in thousands of dollars in energy bills.

Tayo Emden, 33, a British-educated Ghanaian who has lived in Lagos for five years as a director for a telecommunications company, said the costs were just too high to stay.

“After living in London with colleagues, we thought Lagos would be nice and cushy, but we’re having second thoughts,” Ms. Emden said. “You used to get a lot of bang for your buck, but that’s not the case anymore.”

Several efforts have been made to create economic hubs away from the islands to reduce traffic and lessen the burden, but none have been successful. So at least three million commuters fight their way through hours of traffic to the islands every day. Many leave before 5 a.m. to beat the traffic, and many do not return home until after 10 p.m.

Moreover, most Lagosians do not enjoy the privileges of the city’s new wealth, and perhaps no economic division cuts deeper than housing. On the islands, plots of 645 square feet sell for millions of dollars, and houses built on the plots are subdivided and rented out to wealthy Nigerians or expatriates whose companies do not bargain down.

“Living in Lagos is tough, that’s the bottom line,” said Bola Sobande, the general manager of the popular Palms shopping mall. “But Nigerians are survivors. We survive against all odds. Until something else comes up, we’ll just hang in there.”

More than 70 percent of the city’s residents live in informal housing, crammed into slums with no electricity or water, according to Felix Morka, the executive director of the Social and Economic Rights Action Center, a local economic rights group.

“Only the superrich can compete in this market,” Mr. Morka said. “Most people are looking for a small plot of land where they can build a shack, or to rent space in what are known as ‘I See You, You See Me’ buildings with no facilities at all. That’s what people can afford.

“The oil companies can afford to rent out huge complexes for all their staff,” Mr. Morka said, “so why would a landlord want to rent out to the Nigerian teacher who barely is even assured of a salary at the end of the month?”

Because of widespread corruption, the vast amounts of money coming in rarely trickle down in Nigeria. Still, more and more people stream into the city every day, drawn by the prospect of wealth absent from most of the rest of Nigeria.

“People are moving to Lagos because you can find work, you don’t need to know anybody or have anything,” said Francisco Abosede, the state minister for public planning.

Early on a Sunday morning, as the rich and famous begin to stumble out of clubs and into the hazy light, they are quickly surrounded by dozens of young boys acting as informal parking attendants or hawking chewing gum, mints and phone cards. The boys are paid little mind, but if they are lucky, a small bill may be handed to them from behind the narrow slit of a tinted window of a departing BMW.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/13/world/africa/13lagos.html

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Nobody: 2:51pm On Dec 09, 2008
What the hell is encouraging about this STORY!!?

Is this a jest of Nigeria and the poor masses or just a mere routinely table to fill up the junks on our Nigerian News Papers!!
Tell me, HISSSS!
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by vicade(m): 2:52pm On Dec 09, 2008
This is only the obvious and the truth
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by lynxnoon(m): 2:59pm On Dec 09, 2008
d truth, as dey say is bitter lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Nobody: 3:05pm On Dec 09, 2008
@ Vicade What is so obvious about the epistle story? its never amazing, not even an inch.
The get where they belong and sorry, the POOr also get where they belong,

There is certainly no matchmaking here!.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by FBS: 3:17pm On Dec 09, 2008
na today we know how lagos is? me thinks this is a stale gist.
Eko o ni baje grin
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Nobody: 3:28pm On Dec 09, 2008
What is the moral of this story? That those who earn money should not spend it how the want to? This is just the problem with us. Not once in this story have we addressed the responsibility of the goverment to use the enormous sums obtained as tax to make living conditions better. because my father is a oil mogul, does that mean I should carry my hard earned money and go and repair the roads(which is illegal by the way)?Or I should not go out and have a drink. And those who are not well to do obviously believe that THEY have the right to spend THIER own money the way they want!! News flash: No one owes you anything!!!!

And how is it a problem that something that is in high demand costs a lot? The so called writer should put up the cost rates for a condo in the new york where he is writing from, confirmed to be the most expensive place to live in the U.S.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by bawomolo(m): 3:31pm On Dec 09, 2008
What is the moral of this story? That those who earn money should not spend it how the want to?

a governor's son sipping hennesey from his hard earned money right. how can a city with awful amenities be more expensive than developed european cities. undecided
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by FBS: 3:33pm On Dec 09, 2008
bawomolo:

a governor's son sipping hennesey from his hard earned money right. how can a city with awful amenities be more expensive than developed european cities. undecided
Lagos needs urgent help, everybody knows that, how to fix it? nobody KNOWS.
Such articles dont do any good or harm. It's just ONE of those articles.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by baby123: 3:41pm On Dec 09, 2008
Thanks for posting the article, so people will be aware what is really happening .
We need help and way forward.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by untainted: 4:03pm On Dec 09, 2008
@baby123
nothing new really
"we need help and way forward"
what have u really done on a solo level?
or r u waiting for second colonialism?
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by vicade(m): 4:12pm On Dec 09, 2008
brein:

@ Vicade What is so obvious about the epistle story?  its never amazing,  not even an inch.
The get where they belong and sorry, the POOr also get where they belong,

There is certainly no matchmaking here!.

Obvious in the context that we lagosians and nigerians as a whole realise that this is what is on ground and truth in that it is the reality.

The people in Newyork or wherever who will read this article and who this article was targetted at can't find it obvious.

Imagine London for example,with the ferry transport, rail,Underground and Bus transport, there is still traffic at rush hour. Now imagine London had no underground, no rail and no ferry services.

Even the rich man in Lagos feels the effect of the environment and the stress not to talk of the common man.

Hopefully Fashola will continue his good works and Lagos will be great.
Eko o Ni Baje.

Are you dying to live or are you living to die? undecided
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by gentlegg(m): 4:28pm On Dec 09, 2008
Of what use is this hyperbolic story?
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by naijacutee(f): 4:54pm On Dec 09, 2008
I don't understand the negative reactions to this story. The journalist is just giving his own viewpoints, and as far as I know, his views are on point. Some suffer in Lagos, while others are living in opulence. Isn't it true?
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by vicade(m): 5:06pm On Dec 09, 2008
Suffering and Smiling
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Kobojunkie: 5:07pm On Dec 09, 2008
naijacutee:

[size=13pt]I don't understand the negative reactions to this story. [/size] The journalist is just giving his own viewpoints, and as far as I know, his views are on point. Some suffer in Lagos, while others are living in opulence. Isn't it true?

bawomolo:

a governor's son sipping hennesey from his hard earned money right. [size=13pt]how can a city with awful amenities be more expensive than developed european cities. undecided[/size]
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by felifeli: 5:08pm On Dec 09, 2008
Just the usual crap , western journalists write to amuse themselves and their dumb readers, and of course it will make quite interesting reading especially while sipping a can of Budweiser - "Oh those evil , corrupt Nigerians getting drunk on government money" .  He should try comparing Manhattan to Queens and write us a  story about that too.  cheesy cheesy cheesy By the way he did not tell us the name of the governor's son who refused him a drink from his bottle of Hennessy. grin grin
Anyone who cannot afford to live in Lagos, stop living in shanties and go home to demand equal facilities from your state governor , so that his son will not be drinking Hennesy from government fund. This should also decongest Lagos fo the rest of us .
Eko o ni baje o  cheesy cheesy
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Ibime(m): 5:13pm On Dec 09, 2008
The indices used for comparing the cost of living in the West do not apply to Lagos or Naija. Does the writer think we are buying prawn sandwiches and drinking coffee with our $2 a day? He should come and check the price of Akamu and Akara, then come back and tell me that Lagos is the 30th most expensive city to live in. Psssst.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by texazzpete(m): 5:14pm On Dec 09, 2008
Why are some people so eager to take offence?

The writer is just painting a picture of the contrast between the superrich and superpoor in Lagos and people like felifeli are already up in arms.

It seems many people are so jaded by our subservient, grovelling journalists.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by MrCrackles(m): 5:17pm On Dec 09, 2008
texazzpete:

The writer is just painting a picture of the contrast between the superrich and superpoor in Lagos and people like felifeli are already up in arms.

I was about to the say the same thing as you said in your first sentence

sad
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by felifeli: 5:19pm On Dec 09, 2008
texazzpete:

No offence dude, just giving my own candid opinion of the piece (I am entitled to one too aint I ?) . why are you so quick to take offence at this ??  cheesy cheesy
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by texazzpete(m): 5:21pm On Dec 09, 2008
felifeli:

No offence dude, just giving my own candid opinion of the piece (I am entitled to one too aint I ?) . why are you so quick to take offence at this ?? cheesy cheesy

I didn't use words like 'crap' and 'dumb readers'. You did.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by fe32(m): 5:22pm On Dec 09, 2008
i no no wetin d writer do u felifeli, i've lived in lagos all my life and what opinion could be more true than that, and by the way, it's an opinion!!!!,

but i know things will be better
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Muza(m): 5:24pm On Dec 09, 2008
but gaskiya lagos dirty
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Muza(m): 5:33pm On Dec 09, 2008
gaskiya,haba,just look at this

Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Nobody: 5:36pm On Dec 09, 2008
Muza:

but gaskiya lagos dirty

Sharaap and say something about Akala pikin drinking henessy in Planet-1 cheesy
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Nobody: 5:39pm On Dec 09, 2008
i think a lot of the prices the author quotes are way over the top.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by samboribo(m): 5:52pm On Dec 09, 2008
the writer did state "2 islands" which would be Victoria Island and probably Ikoyi/Lekki. for the prices in this area, they are almost about true, except for the lunch part. everything has its level.

but sit back and look again, it's kind of funny for those of us that already know the whole situation. i particularly like the part where he said something like ", Bentleys dodging potholes". cheesy cheesy cheesy that is so true if you ever find yourself around these "small islands".
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by chika98: 5:57pm On Dec 09, 2008
I loved reading this. Nice one
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Nobody: 6:04pm On Dec 09, 2008
samboribo:

the writer did state "2 islands" which would be Victoria Island and probably Ikoyi/Lekki. for the prices in this area, they are almost about true, except for the lunch part. everything has its level.

but sit back and look again, it's kind of funny for those of us that already know the whole situation. i particularly like the part where he said something like ", Bentleys dodging potholes". cheesy cheesy cheesy that is so true if you ever find yourself around these "small islands".

That's not totally true; even SUVs, lorries and big trucks dodge potholes in those places he mentioned. tongue
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by Eziachi: 6:25pm On Dec 09, 2008
Most Nigerians don't like any body having an opinion about their continious craping nation, especially through the eyes of a foreigner, even when they knew that the truth was all behind it. Compared by per capita, Lagos most be one of the most expensive cities of the world and someone had a problem arguing that fact?

Someone had even come with comparing queens and other affluent area of NY as a defense of eye sore opulence living side by side to abject poverty of most places in Lagos but forgot that no one without electricity in queen unless non bill paying customer and there is no open sewage at least in queens.

For example, in Isolo, you will find a house close to what you see in Hollywood sitting side by side with a zinc shackled house and the opulence guy don't even lose a sleep over the eye sore.
A man with a brand new BMW with the man opening gate for him wearing a half torn clothing you will likely find in the bin in most places.
Re: Lagos: Opulence In The Midst Of Poverty (NYTimes) by gamerod: 6:36pm On Dec 09, 2008
and how many people sleep on the streets of Los Angeles, on the streets of Holywood, and how many people sleep under the bridges in America, what the hell is the reporter trying to talk about? America o America, amidst plenty, amidst affluence, lots do not know where their next meal is coming from, lots have shelters under bridges, so, what the big deal about Nigeria? Reporter and those who thinks he has said something great, kindly shove your diks inside your butt hole and let us hear word.

People in Nigeria may be poor, but yet happy, what the crap? I have been to extremely poor places in Lagos and I see SUVs that even people in Holywood can only dream of riding, yet, Nigeria and Nigerian people are poor and only live in VI etc, what a sorry mind the reporter has? If you dont have anything to write about, why not just shut up?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Boko-Haram Killed 10 Christians In Borno State!!! / ESe Oruru: Emir Of Kano And Those Distorting The Narrative, By Femi Fani-kayode / 2019: Kwankwaso Is The Best Alternative – John Odekina, APC Chieftain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.