Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,316 members, 7,811,944 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:23 AM

Question For Atheists - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Question For Atheists (887 Views)

Questions For Atheists ( Answer your easiest 5) / Yet Another Unanswered Question On Creation for atheists/scientists / Questions For Atheists!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Question For Atheists by IceDaNemesis(m): 3:45pm On Dec 21, 2014
1.You guys say there's no God right? Which means without God everything is permissible. So for example, if I cheat in an exam without getting caught, and I get an A. Should I be happy with my self? Where did that conscience that tells me I did wrong come from?
Re: Question For Atheists by CrazyScientist: 3:51pm On Dec 21, 2014
Not an atheist, but know a lot of them, so a most probable answer they would give to your question is;

"You grew in a society that frowns on cheating, so its implanted into your cerebellum that cheating is bad, that's the same reason cannibals see nothing wrong in eating human meat but we do, the society they found themselves doesn't frown on it"
Re: Question For Atheists by IceDaNemesis(m): 3:59pm On Dec 21, 2014
CrazyScientist:
Not an atheist, but know a lot of them, so a most probable answer they would give to your question is;

"You grew in a society that frowns on cheating, so its implanted into your cerebellum that cheating is bad, that's the same reason cannibals see nothing wrong in eating human meat but we do, the society they found themselves doesn't frown on it"
nice answer but what made it start in societies
Re: Question For Atheists by addempsea(m): 3:59pm On Dec 21, 2014
Being an atheist doesn't mean you don't know right from wrong! It comes from the thought of you knowing that cheating is not allowed as it would have been clearly written in the exam instructions.
Re: Question For Atheists by addempsea(m): 4:01pm On Dec 21, 2014
CrazyScientist:

You can't let the society judge you, cos its the same society that frowns on abortion, buh still looks down on teenage pregnancy.
Re: Question For Atheists by CrazyScientist: 4:02pm On Dec 21, 2014
IceDaNemesis:
nice answer but what made it start in societies

They would refer you to 'The Biggest Secret' by David Icke and tell you about how religion is just a mind control tool.
Re: Question For Atheists by IceDaNemesis(m): 4:05pm On Dec 21, 2014
addempsea:
Being an atheist doesn't mean you don't know right from wrong! It comes from the thought of you knowing that cheating is not allowed as it would have been clearly written in the exam instructions.
great. But my point is, if you can know right from wrong then there's a God
Re: Question For Atheists by addempsea(m): 4:07pm On Dec 21, 2014
IceDaNemesis:
great. But my point is, if you can know right from wrong then there's a God
for you to be right or wrong, the must have bin something deemed as right. Like in a country without law, there's no crime.
Re: Question For Atheists by ooman(m): 4:10pm On Dec 21, 2014
Be a good citizen of the world, this is all that is required of you as an atheist.

And this includes obeying all laws, not cheating included.

Atheism leaves you to take responsibility, you may get locked up, but we don't burn people in hell.
Re: Question For Atheists by johnydon22(m): 4:11pm On Dec 21, 2014
IceDaNemesis:
1.You guys say there's no God right? Which means without God everything is permissible. So for example, if I cheat in an exam without getting caught, and I get an A. Should I be happy with my self? Where did that conscience that tells me I did wrong come from?

am not an atheist but i will answer ur question none the less: Man is an empathic being, any man that cannot know wrong from right what would you call that person, everything you do whether good or bad is sorely ur decision and was not inspired by an evil or good force or deity.. so morality comes from empathy....
Re: Question For Atheists by sinequanon: 4:15pm On Dec 21, 2014
IceDaNemesis:

For most people, it comes from society.
Re: Question For Atheists by plaetton: 4:17pm On Dec 21, 2014
IceDaNemesis:
If you think that a good and moral conscience comes from believing in god, then perhaps you can explain why Nigeria, a country that is 96% religious, ranks as one of the most corrupt and unsafe places in the world, far far worse than countries with predominantly irreligious people.

4 Likes

Re: Question For Atheists by BeastMaster(m): 4:20pm On Dec 21, 2014
IceDaNemesis:

From a scientific viewpoint, morality does not stem from God. Instead, it has its roots in brain chemicals and is supported by strong cultural conditioning. Parents pass their morals along to their children, and individuals take social cues regarding "right" and "wrong" behaviors from friends, family, media influence and more.

BeastMaster is of the opinion it's fashionable for religious people to claim that atheists are immoral hedonists, but a quick survey of real people shows that to be false. By and large, atheists are no less moral than any other group of people.
Re: Question For Atheists by sinequanon: 4:39pm On Dec 21, 2014
BeastMaster:
Instead, it has its roots in brain chemicals and is supported by strong cultural conditioning. Parents pass their morals along to their children, and individuals take social cues regarding "right" and "wrong" behaviors from friends, family, media influence and more.

Can a machine be moral?
Re: Question For Atheists by adexsimply(m): 4:43pm On Dec 21, 2014
Begging the question
Re: Question For Atheists by asala1: 5:06pm On Dec 21, 2014
In the graduate school I attended some of the faculties allow you to cheat, they allow you to bring in as many cheat notes as you can, while some others frown against it seriously. So if you use cheat note in the class of the faculty that allows it you feel nothing cause it is allowed, but if you do it in the other classes of faculties that don't allow it, no one needs to tell you that you are breaking the rules. When we break rules set up by the community, organisation, country, etc., we know we have gone against the rules, we don't need God to tell us and this happens to everyone be you a Christian, atheist, Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, etc.
Re: Question For Atheists by ooman(m): 5:08pm On Dec 21, 2014
asala1:
In the graduate school I attended some of the faculties allow you to cheat, they allow you to bring in as many cheat notes as you can, while some others frown against it seriously. So if you use cheat note in the class of the faculty that allows it you feel nothing cause it is allowed, but if you do it in the other classes of faculties that don't allow it, no one needs to tell you that you are breaking the rules. When we break rules set up by the community, organisation, country, etc., we know we have gone against the rules, we don't need God to tell us and this happens to everyone be you a Christian, atheist, Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, etc.

which school is that?

1 Like

Re: Question For Atheists by asala1: 6:41pm On Dec 21, 2014
ooman:

which school is that?

MIT wink

(1) (Reply)

Questions From "Last Days At Forcados High School" / Help! So A Rich Man Cant Make Heaven.(matt 19:23-24) / Can Demons Go Without Casting Them Out?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.