Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,624 members, 7,820,210 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:26 AM

Half Of A Yellow Sun - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Half Of A Yellow Sun (1193 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie's 'half Of A Yellow Sun' Bags Decade's Best Female Authored / Link To Download Half Of A Yellow Sun Book / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Half Of A Yellow Sun by Crowny1(f): 4:38pm On Dec 23, 2014
I read this book by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and I think it's stunning. Hope you share my opinion.

PART ONE

The Early Sixties
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun by Crowny1(f): 5:00pm On Dec 23, 2014

Master was a little crazy; he had spent too many years reading books overseas, talked to himself in his office, did not always return greetings, and had too much hair. Ugwu's aunty said this in a low voice as they walked on the path. 'But he is a good man,' she added. 'And as long as you work well, you will eat well. You will even eat meat everyday.' She stopped to spit; the saliva left her mouth with a sucking sound and landed on the grass.
Ugwu did not believe that anybody, not even this master he was going to live with, ate meat every day. He did not disagree with his aunty, though, because he was too choked with expectation, too busy imagining his new life away from the village. They had been walking for a while now, since they got off the lorry at the motor park, and the afternoon sun burned the back of his neck. But he did not mind. He was prepared to walk hours more in even hotter sun. He had never seen anything like the streets that appeared after they went past the university gates, streets so smooth and tarred that he itched to lay his cheek down on them. He would never be able to describe to his sister Anulika how the bungalows here were painted the color of the sky and sat side by side like polite, well-dressed men, how the hedges separating them were trimmed so flat on top that they looked like tables wrapped with leaves.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun by Cybershow(m): 6:04pm On Dec 23, 2014
Interestin
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun by Annie09: 9:26pm On Dec 23, 2014
Following
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun by Crowny1(f): 10:04pm On Dec 23, 2014
Annie09:
Following
Thanks
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun by Crowny1(f): 10:06pm On Dec 23, 2014
Cybershow:
Interestin
She's a wonderful writer
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun by Cybershow(m): 10:33pm On Dec 23, 2014
Crowny1:

She's a wonderful writer
Dat gud
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun by Crowny1(f): 11:01pm On Dec 23, 2014
His aunty walked faster, her slippers making slap-slap sounds that echoed in the silent street. Ugwu wondered is she, too, could feel the coal tar getting hotter underneath, through her thin soles. They went past a sign, ODIM STREET, and Ugwu mouthed street, as he did whenever he saw an English word that was not too long. He smelt something sweet, heady, as they walked into a compound, and was sure it came from the white flowers clustered on the bushes at the entrance. The bushes were shaped like slender hills. The lawn glistened. Butterflies hovered above.
'I told Master you will learn everything fast, osiso-osiso,' his aunty said. Ugwu nodded attentively although she had already told him this many times, as often as she told him the story of how his good fortune came about: While she was sweeping the corridor in the Mathematics Department a week ago, she heard Master say that he needed a houseboy to do his cleaning, and she immediately said she could help, speaking before his typist or office messenger could offer to bring someone.
'I will learn fast, Aunty,' Ugwu said. He was staring at the car in the garage; a strip of metal ran around its blue body like a necklace.
'Remember, what you will answer when he calls you is Yes, sah!'
'Yes, sah!' Ugwu repeated.
They were standing before the glass door. Ugwu held back from reaching out to touch the cement wall, to see how different it would feel from the mud walls of his mother's hut that still bore the faint patterns of moulding fingers.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun by D9ty7(m): 11:08pm On Dec 23, 2014
Do you intend posting the whole of the story here on Nairaland?
If yes, don't you think a rule is being violated? I am not sure tho.
I know its not plagiarism, but still it looks like you are plagiarising Adichie's work. She deserved to earn for the job she did in the novel when people buy the book, but you posting it here, its like you are cheating her or depriving her of her right. Or do you have a written approval from her?

Cc: Obinnau
What do you have to say to this?
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun by Dyoungstar: 11:20pm On Dec 23, 2014
Madam be careful of what you post, if you don't have written permission from her (I mean the right owner of the book) don't ever post it here; unless your family has money for case making.

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun by kennykg(m): 11:24pm On Dec 23, 2014
I watched the movie and I fell in love with it, had to order for the novel( my first ever novel) , I'm not a fan of novels. Good to see you also love her work but I don't think you honor her by uploading her writeup here without proper consent
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun by Obinnau(m): 11:40pm On Dec 23, 2014
posting any literary work without the express permission of the author violates the rules of copyright. Therefore it amounts to plagiarism.

2 Likes

(1)

What Is Your Opinion Of The Book 'the Man Of The People' By Chinua Achebe / 9 Authors Who Regret Getting Famous / Affordable And Reliable Content Writing Services

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.