Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,371 members, 7,819,336 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:39 PM

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun (4984 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie's 'half Of A Yellow Sun' Bags Decade's Best Female Authored / Chimamanda Ngozi-adichie Celebrates Her 38th Birthday Today / Link To Download Half Of A Yellow Sun Book (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by omoge25(f): 10:19pm On Jun 06, 2007
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6726901.stm

I read Half of a Yellow Sun about a month ago, i taught it was a really interesting novel. Anyone else read it? Here is the article on the BBC about her winning.

Nigerian author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie has been named winner of the Orange Broadband Prize for Fiction.
She beat five other contenders for the £30,000 women-only award, including Kiran Desai, shortlisted for her Booker Prize winner The Inheritance of Loss.

Adichie's novel, Half of a Yellow Sun, is her second work and set during the Biafran War of the 1960s.

The new writer's award worth £10,000 was presented to Karen Connelly for her novel The Lizard Cage.

Moral responsibility

Adichie's first novel, Purple Hibiscus, was also shortlisted for the award - formerly known as the Orange Prize for Fiction - in 2004.

Bookmakers Ladbrokes made her favourite to clinch the honour after a flood of bets in recent days.

Desai would have become the first author to win both the Orange and Booker Prizes for the same novel if she had triumphed.

CHIMAMANDA NGOZI ADICHIE FACTS
Born 1977 in Abba, Nigeria
Was educated in the university town of Nsukka
Has a Masters degree in creative writing from John Hopkins university in the US
Was a Hodder Fellow at Princeton University, teaching introductory fiction
Divides her time between Nigeria and the US

Half of a Yellow Sun tells the story of people caught up in the unfolding political turmoil in west Africa, whose loyalties are acutely tested when troops advance on the dusty university town they inhabit.

The novel examines ethnic allegiances, moral responsibility, class and race.

The award ceremony took place at the newly-refurbished Royal Festival Hall on London's South Bank, and the judging panel included broadcaster Muriel Grey and best-selling writer Marian Keyes.

Previous recipients of the award have included Zadie Smith for On Beauty (2006), Andrea Levy for Small Island (2004) and Helen Dunmore for A Spell In Winter (1996).

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by SMC(f): 10:27pm On Jun 06, 2007
It is a good book. Congratulations to her.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by nana(f): 10:53pm On Jun 06, 2007
ooowww, am so happpy for her.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by Bulga(m): 2:23pm On Jun 07, 2007
She is beautiful and simply the best at what she does.
Click on the below link for more info:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070606/ap_on_en_ot/books_orange_prize

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by Vitastraka(m): 3:25pm On Jun 07, 2007
Vitastraka does not share the same sentiments as you people!

Vitastraka is a writer and I confess I am very jealous. Vitastraka feels he is better than Chimamanda!

You people have refused to read the works of Vitastraka

Please dont crucify me! I resent the fact that I am not recognized.

Yes! Vitastraka is not happy at this development, he feels cheated,
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by SMC(f): 6:45pm On Jun 07, 2007
Vitastraka:

Vitastraka does not share the same sentiments as you people!

Vitastraka is a writer and I confess I am very jealous. Vitastraka feels he is better than Chimamanda!

You people have refused to read the works of Vitastraka

Please don't crucify me! I resent the fact that I am not recognized.

Yes! Vitastraka is not happy at this development, he feels cheated,

And that is why you won't win anything or make any progress if you cannot be happy at the success of others. I wonder who informed you of your alleged literary brilliance. Hopefully you will see the errors of your ways soon.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by nana(f): 7:24pm On Jun 07, 2007
lol
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by omoge25(f): 7:30pm On Jun 07, 2007
SMC:

And that is why you won't win anything or make any progress if you cannot be happy at the success of others. I wonder who informed you of your alleged literary brilliance. Hopefully you will see the errors of your ways soon.

abi o, I don't understand people sometimes.  has he even read Adichie's book. Its not that they just carry award give her, the book is good and interesting.  Instead of recognizing your fellow naija, that is in the news for doing an outstanding job he is here talking nonsense. "he is very jealous" oya dey there now.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by Iman3(m): 7:33pm On Jun 07, 2007
The girl is not even beautiful sad All that brainpower accompanied with ugliness sad I am happy for her thoughwould be happier if she was beautiful grin
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by nana(f): 8:22pm On Jun 07, 2007
The lady is being recognised internationally and someone is talking about beauty. Infact she is a combination of beauty and brains,
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by SMC(f): 9:28pm On Jun 07, 2007
She isnt bad looking. Not exceptionally beautiful, but she is a little bit pretty.

That photograph above does not do her justice at all. She just looks like she was wearing a mismatched combo, and what the heck is that thing she has on her head?  embarassed She looked really sophisticated at an award ceremony earlier this year. Don't judge her looks by this photograph.

Nevertheless, she has got talent and that is the main issue, not her looks. grin
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by Imani(f): 9:34pm On Jun 07, 2007
Congratulations to her.

She is gifted.

Can we applaud her work rather than her looks. Hope her work lives on after her.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by Imani(f): 9:35pm On Jun 07, 2007
I-man:

The girl is not even beautiful sad All that brainpower accompanied with ugliness sad I am happy for her thoughwould be happier if she was beautiful grin

Well, that is a surprise coming from you.  shocked
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by Iman3(m): 10:52pm On Jun 07, 2007
You can read, for free,the 1st Chapter of the award winning novel here-http://fifthestate.co.uk/wp-images/features/HalfofaYellowSunChap1andPS.pdf
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by Vitastraka(m): 10:58pm On Jun 07, 2007
Una dey always mistreat Vitastraka. you never show any sympathy, upon that I begged you not to crucify me!

Vitastraka wants recognition, Vitastraka wants awards, Vitastraka wants fame! Is this too much to ask?

If each of you went out and read the works of Vitastraka and marketed them, would I be complaining?

Instead I am facing attacks from all sides, people criticizing me anyhow, laughing at me, newspaper no even gree come interview me. Is this fair?
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by SMC(f): 11:14pm On Jun 07, 2007
@Vitastraka,

Are you sure you are not Orikinla? angry Cos you sure do sound somehow like him. [s]Apologies to Orikinla if you are not him. Not that you/he will ever admit it if you are the same person.[/s] undecided
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by Vitastraka(m): 11:19pm On Jun 07, 2007
@SMC

No, none of that.

Vitastraka is the Prince of disappointment, Lord of the spurned, rejected and heartbroken
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by Ndipe(m): 12:44am On Jun 08, 2007
What is going on? A Nigerian girl makes history by winning a prestigious award and some folks are being petty discussing her physical features. The orange prize fiction award ceremony is not a beauty contest.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by A3(m): 8:10am On Jun 08, 2007
beautiful or not, if she ask me to marry her now, i won't think twice o my people. Ah! with $30,000 we go buy love o!!! no forgeting the fame to,

This igbo girls no the hear for book these days o, see all the great women in naija na igbos. I wonder wetin their men the do ( sell spare parts i guess?).

Congrast!! dear, more power to your elbow,
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by BlackMamba(m): 2:27pm On Jun 08, 2007
As a Lion conversant with the setting of her story, it brings back a feeling of nostalgia and I can't be more proud of her. Kudos to Nsukka for giving us another gem to follow in the footsteps of Chinua Achebe who blazed the trail of literary icons from the university town.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by Vitastraka(m): 2:33pm On Jun 08, 2007
What do you people think of the works of Vitastraka?

Please derisive laughter directed at my person will not be tolerated
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by Iman3(m): 3:51pm On Jun 08, 2007
Isn't she lovely? grin

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by damoche07(m): 5:15pm On Jun 08, 2007
am happy for her.it isn't no fluke cos this is her second book that would get a nomination for the award.Funny thing,a Nigerian staying in Nigeria has not yet seen the book and 'Oyinbo' people are giving her an award.The Nigerian is me.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by Imani(f): 8:57pm On Jun 08, 2007
I-man:

Isn't she lovely? grin

grin grin grin Are you sure you are there not much more to this? [s]Did you have to pull out her most unflattering picture[/s]?
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by SMC(f): 10:47pm On Jun 08, 2007
She looks like a chuffed witch holding a voodoo doll. LOL cheesy
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by Iman3(m): 10:48pm On Jun 08, 2007
SMC:

An award winning "witch".I love that picture grin
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by Imani(f): 10:51pm On Jun 08, 2007
SMC:

Have you been watching too much nollywood? grin
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by 9ja4eva: 10:53pm On Jun 08, 2007
SMC:

Na wa oh

Oh i read dt too.Bravo gurl.Keep on showing dem wat we r made of
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by SMC(f): 11:08pm On Jun 08, 2007
Imani:

Have you been watching too much nollywood? grin

I don't watch Nollywood movies. At least I haven't watched any for years and years.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by Imani(f): 11:10pm On Jun 08, 2007
SMC:

I don't watch Nollywood movies. At least I haven't watched any for years and years.

The description you used just seemed like one of the voodoo scenes in nollywood. grin
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by OtunbaX: 2:38pm On Jun 09, 2007
SMC,
Orikinla has already reported the news before anyone on Nairaland.
Orikinla is with me in Lagos and will soon be online.

Oriklinla is the first to celebrate Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie on Nairaland. In fact, his poem on her was already published in his Scarlet Tears of London since last July where he even mentioned Half of a Yellow Sun, before the novel was released.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun by SMC(f): 3:04pm On Jun 09, 2007
Otunba X:

SMC,
Orikinla has already reported the news before anyone on Nairaland.
Orikinla is with me in Lagos and will soon be online.

Oriklinla is the first to celebrate Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie on Nairaland. In fact, his poem on her was already published in his Scarlet Tears of London since last July where he even mentioned Half of a Yellow Sun, before the novel was released.

And why are you telling me huh? Was I the one who created this thread? Abeg o. angry And I know you are Orikinla, so abeg just stop this Otunba crap. Moreover, who the heck cares who reported it first? What matters is that we are all proud of our girl Miss Adichie. So move on please. NEXT. lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Translate From English To Yoruba / Sex Stories: Jide Part 4 / The Heart Of A True Believer~ A New Romantic Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.