Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:17 PM

7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan (29377 Views)

7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan / University Of Ibadan 2014/15 Admission Process.... / Contact Me For Any Info About University Of Ilorin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by Rapsainot(m): 5:00pm On Dec 23, 2014

1. University of Ibadan Started as Yaba College, Lagos

The University of Ibadan has her origins in Yaba College (now YabaTech), founded in 1932 in Yaba, Lagos. The Yaba College is the first tertiary educational institute in Nigeria. Yaba College was transferred to Ibadan in 1948. That was when it became the University College of Ibadan. This is the name some of our fathers and grandfathers still call the University of Ibadan till today.

2. UI was founded on its own site in 1948

The University of Ibadan was founded on its own site on 17 November 1948. In late 1963, on the university playing-fields, the Rt. Hon. Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, first Prime Minister of independent Nigeria, became the first Chancellor of its independent university. In that year, all remaining ties with the University of London were severed.

On November 17, 1948. Arthur Creech Jones, then the British Secretary of State for the Colonies, led the inauguration ceremony of the institution. The university was originally created as an extension of the University of London and was called University College, Ibadan.

3. UI, the only University founded before Nigeria’s
Independence

The University of Ibadan, founded in 1948, is the
oldest university in Nigeria and the only institution
founded before the country became independent in
1960. The University of Ibadan is a federally-
controlled public university located in Ibadan, Oyo
State.
Other big and popular Universities such as
University of Lagos (1962), Ahmadu Bello
University, Zaria (1962), University of Benin (1970),
University of Port Harcourt (1975), were only
established after independence.
Now you know, the only true University founded in
Nigeria before 1960 is the University of Ibadan.

4. The first Indigenous Vice chancellor of UI was
Kenneth Dike

The first Nigerian vice chancellor of the university
was Kenneth Dike, after whom the University of
Ibadan’s library is named. He is the first indigenous
VC of the University. Kenneth Onwika Dike (17
December 1917 – 26 October 1983) was a Nigerian
historian. He was a native of Awka, in the then
eastern Nigeria.

During the Nigerian civil war, he moved to Harvard
University, Boston.
He was a founder of the Ibadan School that
dominated the writing of the History of Nigeria until
the 1970s. He is credited with “having played the
leading role in creating a generation of African
historians who could interpret their own history
without being influenced by Eurocentric approaches.

5. Designs of halls of residence are not identical

Did you know that the designs of the halls of
residence in the University of Ibadan are not
identical? And, just so you know, this is deliberate.
Mellanby, Tedder, Kuti, Sultan Bello and Queen
Elizabeth II halls – were designed by Maxwell Fry
and Jane Drew. Messrs Watkins Gray and Partners
designed Alexander Brown Hall as a part of the
overall design of the University College Hospital
Complex. Independence and Nnamdi Azikiwe Halls,
were designed by Messrs Design Group (Nigeria)
Ltd. Obafemi Awolowo Hall was designed by Allied
Group of Architects, while Tafawa Balewa and Idia
Halls were designed by Messrs Aderele-Omisore-
Adebanjo Associates.
The Federal Ministry of Works designed the
Abdusalami Abubakar Hall.

6. These notable Nigerians attended University of
Ibadan

Did you know that the following notable Nigerians
and Politicians are alumni of the University of
Ibadan? You will probably know some of them
attended UI but other inclusions may come to you
as surprises. Here is a short list of some people
you might not know attended UI.
1. Chinua Achebe, author of Things Fall Apart
2. Emeka Anyaoku, former Commonwealth
Secretary-General
3. Michael Omolewa, former President of
UNESCO General Conference and
Ambassador of Nigeria to UNESCO
4. Kayode Fayemi, Governor of Ekiti State
5. J. P. Clark, Nigerian poet and playwright
6. Wole Soyinka, winner of the 1986 Nobel Prize
in Literature
7. Grace Alele-Williams, first Nigerian woman to
become the head (vice-chancellor) of a
Nigerian university, the University of Benin
8. William Kumuyi, Founder and General
Superintendent of Deeper Christian Life
Ministry
9. Ken Saro-Wiwa, Nigerian writer, television
producer and environmental activist
10. Farida Mzamber Waziri, Former Executive
Chairperson of the Nigerian Economic and
Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

7. University of Ibadan has no catchment area
UI is one of the Federal universities with no
catchment areas. Other Universites with no
catchment areas are the 3 federal agriculture
universities (Federal University of Agriculture,
Abeokuta; Federal University Agriculture Makurdi;
Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike,
Umuahia, Abia State), University of Abuja
(UNIABUJA), University of Port-Harcourt
(UNIPORT), Federal University of Petroleum
Resources (FUPRE).
The catchment area of UI is the whole of Nigeria. In
this regard, UI is bringing candidates from all parts
of Nigeria to write the examination.

Source:http://www.ngscholars.com/2014/10/7-things-may-know-university-ibadan/7/

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by HrtBrkSteve(m): 5:32pm On Dec 23, 2014
Educative & Insightful. Welldone, man.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by ayodijex(m): 5:46pm On Dec 23, 2014
No sub-atomic particle of lie

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by Tolexander: 5:48pm On Dec 23, 2014
Bro, this is lovely!
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by Rapsainot(m): 5:50pm On Dec 23, 2014
Tolexander:
Bro, this is lovely!
thanks for the compliment
HrtBrkSteve:
Educative & Insightful. Welldone, man.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by dkronicle(m): 5:57pm On Dec 23, 2014
lemme shutup sha
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by Rapsainot(m): 6:00pm On Dec 23, 2014
dkronicle:
lemme shutup sha
Berra say your mind and shame the devil wink
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by Bravoosii: 8:58pm On Dec 23, 2014
Recte Sapere Fons

8 Likes

Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by Nobody: 9:16pm On Dec 23, 2014
*grabs my popcorn*, Sits beside Segunflames and waiting for Adedayo516 to serve my coke.

Where are my queens? Kumpharm and Dammyg319 grin
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by alexis007(m): 9:56pm On Dec 23, 2014
'7 things you don't know about UI'........sounds more to me like kinda advertisement rather than enlightenment....... still yet to see a Nigerian university break the glass-top ceiling into "the best 500 universities in the world"

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by lilmax(m): 10:01pm On Dec 23, 2014
Nice
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by SegunFlames(m): 10:32pm On Dec 23, 2014
FrancisTony:
*grabs my popcorn*, Sits beside Segunflames and waiting for Adedayo516 to serve my coke.

You sabi am! cheesy

#TeamUI! cool

5 Likes

Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by Adedayo516(m): 10:32pm On Dec 23, 2014
FrancisTony:

I bet you don't want this bottles of coke.. Asks Pr0ton

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by femidejulius(m): 10:48pm On Dec 23, 2014
Number 1 is very incorrect and misleading..
University of Ibadan didn't start as Yaba College. What happened at the time of its creation was that there were some consideration of converting Yaba College to a university. However, that idea was dropped at it was agreed to start a university from the roots. They agreed to site it in Ibadan because the town consisted of several other ethnic groups and the strategic location of the town which makes it easily accessible to other parts of the country as well as its proximity to Lagos and especially the sea port there. The town was also willing to give the proposed university the land needed for it. The site where the university is located was therefore leased to the university for 999 years by Ibadan.

The university initially started as an extension of the University College, London. That's why its teaching hospital, UCH is called University College Hospital till tomorrow.

24 Likes

Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by vicadex07(m): 12:30am On Dec 24, 2014
what is pinching you

I smell jealousy undecided

alexis007:
'7 things you don't know about UI'........sounds more to me like kinda advertisement rather than enlightenment....... still yet to see a Nigerian university break the glass-top ceiling into "the best 500 universities in the world"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by Doortun(m): 2:43am On Dec 24, 2014
The 8th Thing You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan

There are many hot chics in Idia Hall, their statistics is broken down below:

40%----- Aristo
30%-----Retired Olosho
20%-----Decent sluts
Remaining 10% are omo mummy

8 Likes

Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by yuzjet(m): 7:17am On Dec 24, 2014
Oh really?
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by smudge2079(m): 7:18am On Dec 24, 2014
Ooh, i didn't know & not interested either until dey admit me for my msc program.
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by Nobody: 7:18am On Dec 24, 2014
the 9fact; they are the founders of cultism that has claimed hundreds of young bright and promising lives undecided

you didnt add that one ahbi angry angry

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by Noreply: 7:18am On Dec 24, 2014
Ok o
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by devigblegble: 7:19am On Dec 24, 2014
Listening to Olamides' Ibadan

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by Nobody: 7:20am On Dec 24, 2014
My father also graduted from university of Ibadan,why don't uninclude his as notable Nigerians that pass out of UI u are naming farida waziri

3 Likes

Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by Adyrin(m): 7:21am On Dec 24, 2014
I hear
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by phransix147(m): 7:21am On Dec 24, 2014
Op. U forgot to include they also go on ASUU Strike...

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by Firefire(m): 7:22am On Dec 24, 2014
Thanks for this info
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by Nobody: 7:23am On Dec 24, 2014
When things were good.
Imagine an Igbo man thinking of being a Vc in UI now.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by Thewhizzkid1(m): 7:24am On Dec 24, 2014
How does dix one concern me? Mtchew.
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by Olufemiolaolu(m): 7:24am On Dec 24, 2014
Point of correction kumuyi graduated frm unilag

4 Likes

Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by Archmed(m): 7:24am On Dec 24, 2014
This is what we want to be seeing on Nairaland's frontpage,very educative,not stories of ''see what wizkid wore to d headies'' ''Tonto Dike is Crying'' ''Maheeda is sleeping''
''Davido just bought a Rolex wristwatch!! Trash!!
And this goes to Mr Seun, pls we need a platform where we would be able to rate d topics that make frontpage and send back 2 d ''backpage'' those that fall below Nairalanders' expectation and also access the mods and supermods' performances.Businessmen,students,politicians entrepreneurs,name them, visit dis site to get valuable information not wot some of ur mods are offering us.My day is incomplete without Nairaland.I literarily fell sick wen dis site went down sometimes back.Pls lets see a CHANGE in 2015..tnks

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by DollyParton1(f): 7:25am On Dec 24, 2014
And UI was supposed to be located in Abeokuta, but because head of the Kuti,(Rev.Ransome Kuti: Fela's Father) clan had a misunderstanding with the then Paramount ruler of Egba land, he refused to recommend Abeokuta.
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About University Of Ibadan by Nobody: 7:28am On Dec 24, 2014
Ipledge:
My father also graduted from university of Ibadan,why don't uninclude his as notable Nigerians that pass out of UI u are naming farida waziri
your father na politician? what was his gp? if it is below 2 2 then no hope for him..olodo in the making grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Origin Of Secret Cult In Nigerian Tertiary Educations. / May/june 2007/2008 Waec Result Out / Some Common Errors In English.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.