Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,234 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:30 AM

How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? (25750 Views)

How To Open And Run A School Successfully / I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? / How To Make A Poultry Incubator At Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Lesgupnigeria(m): 11:25am On Dec 24, 2014
Nice post.

check my thread on the agric section to know all you have to know in starting a profitable agricbusiness and you will be glad you did.
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by rittyben(f): 11:26am On Dec 24, 2014
Hahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahaha. Girl u write well. Can't stop laughing. See hw u turned a Tragdy to a Comedy

Sorry abt the lost though
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by DidiLove1: 11:30am On Dec 24, 2014
ignis:
Poultry business is all about grace and calling. If it's not your calling, forget it and look for another business.

Dumbest statement ever.
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by begunatoye(m): 11:40am On Dec 24, 2014
It is a pity. From all the poster wrote, I can deduce the following; self medication (giving sick bird energy drink), source of information ( a poultry farmer) and seems the feeding was inadequate. There is only one solution to this type of heartache: consult a vet doctor well experienced in poultry before even buying your chicks. Poultry on a commercial scale is technical. That way you can reap what you sow in poultry. For any person interested in the business email begunatoye@yahoo.com
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Exjoker(m): 11:42am On Dec 24, 2014
Nice one...
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by ellahzy(f): 11:45am On Dec 24, 2014
nice post
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by ceemed: 11:58am On Dec 24, 2014
Infact, I'm totally in love with this naijasinglegirl. See intelligent writing,very rare these days with our younger generation.Still single

1 Like

Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Naijasinglegirl: 12:06pm On Dec 24, 2014
ceemed:
Infact, I'm totally in love with this naijasinglegirl. See intelligent writing,very rare these days with our younger generation.Still single
thank you Sir
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Dec 24, 2014
kennypoka2:
Seriously.. I do wonder this too
I do wonder how u cope with the smell sef!!!
That is one hell of a turnoff for me doing the business..

But i know some are really making real gains from poultry business..
Wat works for mr A doesnt mean will work for mr D..
So whosoever has passion for it.. I will say go for it.. Dont let this pull u down..

people whose poultry smell are those that allow the litter get wet and do not have enough ventilation(common with 'short' buildings). Also those that don't have proper drainage will smell.
If you build you poultry, make sure you have a concrete floor round the building. Like this, you can easily wash the surrounding into a soak away pit, instead of pouring littered water on bare earth.
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Reference(m): 12:13pm On Dec 24, 2014
grin Comedy Central.
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by benuejosh: 12:18pm On Dec 24, 2014
ignis:
Poultry business is all about grace and calling. If it's not your calling, forget it and look for another business.
am lucky then, NO in your words, am called and given the grace. because ever since i started mine death rate has never passed five i.e i hve never picked more than five dead chicken. my friends have theirs dying to an extent that it remains an equivalent to cost. i.e breakeven.
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by benuejosh: 12:19pm On Dec 24, 2014
decode55:
Hmm. This girl has come again undecided
where was the last place you saw her.
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by FarmTech(m): 12:21pm On Dec 24, 2014
Did u vaccinate them? Was the pen cool and well ventilated? Did u practiced strict biosecurity measures? Eg, do u dip ur feet in disinfectant b4 entering the pen? Since u have local fowls around, they're usually carriers of various diseases that can infect ur broilers. Did u treat for coccidiosis? Did u use the right drugs during treatment? Lab test is needed for this. There are a lot of questions to ask since I was not there.
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Whynotthetruth(m): 12:35pm On Dec 24, 2014
Naijasinglegirl
I Love your writing prowess...reporting skill...sense of humour...etc...Wish I know you in person.
All same, sorry for your loss and do enjoy your Xmas...
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Dec 24, 2014
prosperng:
Go and learn from poultry experts otherwise you will surely run crazy when your chicken start dying in numbers.
even poultry bisness experts even share the same fate, my dad is a trained agricultrist and has been in the bisness for years but still he lost over 200 birds last year and over a 100 this year , not because they were ill o, they just beat themselves.
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by omode2(m): 12:44pm On Dec 24, 2014
ignis:
you are correct its not all abt money.
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by ericiland: 12:51pm On Dec 24, 2014
U r a blessed comic writer......wat a relieve, u dnt need a job, start sendn yr papers for publication......
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by An0nimus: 12:57pm On Dec 24, 2014
Naijasinglegirl:

Exactly what we thought! Very depressing business. Now we are stuck we leftovers of chicken feed and I wonder if I am supposed to eat them when I am hungry. Sigh

Mix them with golden morn. Hard to tell the differencegrin

1 Like

Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by SharafG: 1:00pm On Dec 24, 2014
From experience I notice your family was not prepare for the poultry business.

Poultry is not a business you join just because others are making it.

You ought to have carried out your feasibility studies and have enough knowledge of poultry management.

Actually, a day tutorial like you mentioned is not enough.

I also notice your environment is not condusive for the birds. Imagine where there is no good fence that dogs or thieves can steal 7 in hours.

Your understanding of the birds is very low! permit me to say that please!

Birds dont just die. They have reasons & often notify you but you may not notice or you have wrong diagnose, simpatise with them, give wrong doses (like Dad gave your chicken lucaozade). WHY NOT ENERGY DRINKS OR OGOGORO INSTEAD?

Another problem I notice with your 'business' is that YOU MOVE FASTER THAN YOUR LEVEL.
For God sake, how would you start a backyard poultry with 170 birds? You could have testran with just a dozen or at most 50. Your losses wouldnt have been this collossal.

Again I know it is still the lack of knowledge that made you KEEP BROILERS FOR 5 MONTHS! Too long enough to raise 3 batches. Their slow growth, sickness and high mortality rate are all due to improper handling due to no knowledge.

Dear sorry for the losses! I am a farmer who realy undersatand your feelings. But PLEASE, YOU CAN DO IT. LEARN FROM THIS EXPERIENCE AND MOVE AHEAD. "He's not a man he that neva fell but he that fell & rise again".

If you realy want to make money from poutry take the following steps:

1. dedicate your time for its rudimentry knowledge.
2. experiment only with a few & grow gradually.
3. be sure of your market (buyers) before going into production.
4. be determined and prepare for the risks involved.
5. best of luck.

LEST I FORGET, PLEASE PRAY, CAMPAIGN AND VOTE FOR CHANGE IN 2015!

SAI BUHARI!

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Naijasinglegirl: 1:11pm On Dec 24, 2014
Whynotthetruth:
Naijasinglegirl
I Love your writing prowess...reporting skill...sense of humour...etc...Wish I know you in person.
All same, sorry for your loss and do enjoy your Xmas...
thank you. Merry xmas

1 Like

Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Dec 24, 2014
Naijasinglegirl:
Culled from http://www.naijasinglegirl.com
You just made me choke grin
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Jasi7(m): 1:39pm On Dec 24, 2014
ignis:

Ignis I think ure wrong....poultry has nothing to do with calling or grace...its not religion.my mum woke up one day and went out and by evening she came back with cartons of young chicks(she was a teacher and stil is)...she started using our bedrooms as the chicks new home...I was angry,I nearly went nuts...before I culd get any more angry...our four bedroom flat had layer chicken in two of them and I hated my house,smells like WTH...we started coping with d ish.my siblings and I jst had to b supportive,after one year it expanded so wel that mumsi started bulding rooms in our compound to accomodate them...2years after thats last year,it grew bigger,mumsi bought a land in jos and enugu,bought two cars(not motor) and shes building a house in enugu with d proceeds frm d poultry and I can tel u,we are surviving...we had our own downsides too...there was a time 300birds died at once...it ws bad,mumsi cried seriously but she dint give up...around july each year she buys broiler chicks and train them til december and sells them but shes into layers anyway and I intend goin into that line also...my certificate go chill first,I no ready to beg pple for work jare!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by MeAndYou(m): 1:58pm On Dec 24, 2014
I will share my tori later
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Gozychuks(m): 2:04pm On Dec 24, 2014
Broilers for sale.

Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Emmadgud(m): 2:12pm On Dec 24, 2014
sirugos:
Hahahaah. Ur write up is quite funny. Ok let me educate U a little bit and probably tell U the cause of casualties.
1. Poor specie or parents stock. The specie of the birds U guys bought, might be of the type that has a high morality rate. Next time U can order Agritech, fidan CHI, sayed or kamadaz broilers.

2. Poor vaccination. Next time follow this vaccination procedures. 1st day i/0 vaccine, 7 days local lasota, 10 days Gomboro, repeat lasota 21 and 28 days respectively. Also repeat lasota every 30 days.
3. Use the below drugs for brooding. 1_7 days. Neocyril antibiotic, vitalyte vitamin, embazin forth, from 10-21 make use of embazin or anticox regularly to avoid any coccidioses. The mass death of those birds might be of a result of cocci.

4. Keep the environment clean. Don't allow many people to be entering there.

5. Let there be enough ventilation.

6. Thank me latter
Bros ur directives looks sound,but throw more light no num 2, gbomboro nd lasota, what r they. THANKS
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Buqqui: 2:42pm On Dec 24, 2014
From the Title till the last dot.
My teeth were all out.
Can't stop lafffing.

Is your house 'chicken house of commotion?'
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Goldenboy007(m): 2:55pm On Dec 24, 2014
This is a masterpiece! I tried so hard to stifle my laughter cos i'm in the office now I have headache!!! Lesson learnt!!!! Next time buy rats! Those are die hard breeds!!! grin grin
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Naijasinglegirl: 3:11pm On Dec 24, 2014
Buqqui:
From the Title till the last dot.
My teeth were all out.
Can't stop lafffing.

Is your house 'chicken house of commotion?'
lol
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by Spidermon: 4:19pm On Dec 24, 2014
NaijaSingleGirl is simply hilarious. Most original blog content I have read in years.
When it comes to animals, people rarely consult professionals till they get into deep poo. In poultry especially in 9ja, even experienced farmers sometimes have problems, the biz is that technical and vulnerable but the returns are very good. A lot of correct points have been raised.
For Veterinary medical services, u can call 07030054811 or pm this handle.
If you fit help me find work sef, I no mind ooo. Ese oo
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by opeboy: 5:15pm On Dec 24, 2014
upsyLi:
Mr. Op I'm really sorry for your loss. I'm a student of animal health and production technology from Federal college of Animal health and production technology Moor plantation Ibadan.
Mr. op poultry business is not something you just rush into as I'm I've been learning this course for the past four years it takes knowledge and the grace of God to raise those birds.
According to your post. its true when the birds are allowed to roam about and eat whatsoever it tends to increase there immunity in a natural way. But because of next time, when you observe such a high mortality rate, consult an expert to find out the cause of death cus it might just be common coccidiosis or the mighty Newcastle disease probably caused by vaccine failure etc.
The last set of broilers I raised, I only lost three at a tender stage.

Please educate me. What will it cost me to raise 100 broilers for 8weeks in terms of :
feeds (0- 2, 3-4, 5 -6, 7 - 8 weeks)
vaccination
Re: How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? by deuce7(m): 5:20pm On Dec 24, 2014
Simply put...your a gifted writer!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Palm Oil Storage Business Investment (buying & Selling) In Nigeria. / Thread For Maize Farmers / How Much Is A Bag Of Cucumber

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.