Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:16 AM

Thread For Maize Farmers - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Thread For Maize Farmers (25777 Views)

Maize Farmers, You Have To Read This Testimony / Maize Farmers Come In Here / Calling The Attention Of All Maize Farmers And Suppliers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 10:11pm On Mar 25, 2016
Hastom Green City was opened last year with desire to invest heavily in cultivation of several crops. However we seek expert's opinions ( like Jasper7 for cucumber and Jethro2 for tomatoes) on best ways of going about the large scale farming.
The advice was one and simple- they said START SMALL.
We have a passion for daring new grounds so we decided to abandon vegetable and focus on somthing we can do on a LARGE SCALE. We eventually choose MAIZE.
Sincerely, we did not know so much about it and we paid dearly for the ignorance.

OUR LAST YEAR PROCESS:

LAND PREPARATION:
Our zeal propelled us to use bulldozer for clearing. In our mind we are trying to speed up things. We then later used our tractors in ploughing.
The Mistake:::
1)In the course of bulldozing, TOP SOIL of some part of the land was removed thereby reducing the potency of the land. All the same we went ahead.

SEED BUYING.
Ignorantly we went to an open market and buy maize grains. This proofed to be a poor choice.

PLANTING
1) Instead of mechanized planting, we hired manual labour. With this, we used almost a month in planting 100acres.----Time wasted.
2) Wrong Spacing: Because most of this hired labour are in a hurry, some part of the prepared land was left uncultivated and the gap between seeds were much and not uniform. This made our crop vulnerable to wind.

WEED AND PEST CONTROL
1) By the end of the planting season,our maize was struggling with weeds because we were not prepared for it and it overwhemled us. Rodents also had a great time feasting on our maize.

FERTILIZER APPLICATION
We wrongly assumed that since the land has been left fallowed for a long time,it may not require fertilizer. We were wrong because in the process of land preparation, TOP SOIL was removed in some part.

Last year, we cultivated about 100 acres of maize farm here in Ogbomosho. We harvested the yield but it was far less than our expectation.
This year again we are not deterred by the last experience, we are also going all out. This time around we hope to make the process open for nairalanders to contribute and learn from the input of our consultants.
The pictures below are our farm last year and a part of the harvest.

We have started work on our 200acres maize farm, follow this thread for updates.

4 Likes

Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by ifex370(m): 10:42pm On Mar 25, 2016
we are rising as a nation.. #following cool cool

1 Like

Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by DonMaxxy(m): 3:33am On Mar 26, 2016
I have acquired this 1 hectare of land. nobody drags it wih me.

Following with rapt attention.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by tpiar: 3:37am On Mar 26, 2016
who is we, just curious?
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 9:51pm On Mar 26, 2016
To further reduce cost of labour and improve on our speed, we got some hand-driven seed planters.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by tpiar: 6:39am On Mar 27, 2016
did you see my question?

Is it spirits involved or what?
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 6:40am On Mar 27, 2016
tpiar:
who is we, just curious?
'we' is all of us at Hastom Global Services Limited.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by Nobody: 11:39am On Mar 27, 2016
hotmas911:
To further reduce cost of labour and improve on our speed, we got some hand-driven seed planters.
How much for each seed planter and where can one get it?
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 3:00pm On Mar 27, 2016
MULLAH123:
How much for each seed planter and where can one get it?
Send a mail to me at hastomnigeria@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by Nobody: 9:19am On Mar 28, 2016
hotmas911:

just to tell me the price is wht u want me to mail u for? SMH

1 Like

Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by divineappo(m): 9:47am On Mar 28, 2016
Whats the current pickup price of maize per tonne. Can sum1 tell me pls

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 10:54am On Mar 28, 2016
MULLAH123:

just to tell me the price is wht u want me to mail u for? SMH

I don't mean to insult or put you through stress.I am not incharge of procurement.
I was hoping someone will respond to you if you mailed.
Thanks.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by jethro2: 1:50pm On Mar 28, 2016
@hotmass. so sorry about your loss.
Better things on the way.
Reality is quite different from the quotes and expectations we quote from online.
Most results are research oriented and most researched are done under stricts conditions.
I have got my fingers burnt severally in Maize and some other crops.
But one can not be dettered
However my advice will be to work closely with our rural farmers. Use their local experience coupled with your online researched. The two can compliment each other nicely.
Don't forget to have a nearby water source.
It could save a lot.
Do have a lovely planting season.
God bless your work
hotmas911:

Hastom Green City was opened last year with desire to invest heavily in cultivation of several crops. However we seek expert's opinions ( like Jasper7 for cucumber and Jethro2 for tomatoes) on best ways of going about the large scale farming.
The advice was one and simple- they said START SMALL.
We have a passion for daring new grounds so we decided to abandon vegetable and focus on somthing we can do on a LARGE SCALE. We eventually choose MAIZE.
Sincerely, we did not know so much about it and we paid dearly for the ignorance.
OUR LAST YEAR PROCESS:
LAND PREPARATION:
Our zeal propelled us to use bulldozer for clearing. In our mind we are trying to speed up things. We then later used our tractors in ploughing.
The Mistake:::
1)In the course of bulldozing, TOP SOIL of some part of the land was removed thereby reducing the potency of the land. All the same we went ahead.
SEED BUYING.
Ignorantly we went to an open market and buy maize grains. This proofed to be a poor choice.
PLANTING
1) Instead of mechanized planting, we hired manual labour. With this, we used almost a month in planting 100acres.----Time wasted.
2) Wrong Spacing: Because most of this hired labour are in a hurry, some part of the prepared land was left uncultivated and the gap between seeds were much and not uniform. This made our crop vulnerable to wind.
WEED AND PEST CONTROL
1) By the end of the planting season,our maize was struggling with weeds because we were not prepared for it and it overwhemled us. Rodents also had a great time feasting on our maize.
FERTILIZER APPLICATION
We wrongly assumed that since the land has been left fallowed for a long time,it may not require fertilizer. We were wrong because in the process of land preparation, TOP SOIL was removed in some part.
Last year, we cultivated about 100 acres of maize farm here in Ogbomosho. We harvested the yield but it was far less than our expectation.
This year again we are not deterred by the last experience, we are also going all out. This time around we hope to make the process open for nairalanders to contribute and learn from the input of our consultants.
The pictures below are our farm last year and a part of the harvest.
We have started work on our 200acres maize farm, follow this thread for updates.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by Newway2(m): 7:29am On Mar 29, 2016
Madam @Jethro2,
I hv tried reaching u a number of times & a man picked ur calls claiming to be Jethro. What's going on?

jethro2:
Reality is quite different from the quotes and expectations we quote from online.
Most results are research oriented and most researched are done under stricts conditions.
However my advice will be to work closely with our rural farmers. Use their local experience coupled with your online researched. The two can compliment each other nicely.
It could save a lot.
God bless your work
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by jethro2: 1:30pm On Mar 29, 2016
Newway2:
Madam @Jethro2,
I hv tried reaching u a number of times & a man picked ur calls claiming to be Jethro. What's going on?
Please check the no.
I can be reached on 08188540096, 08064688501

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 9:36pm On Mar 29, 2016
jethro2:
It could save a lot.
God bless your work

Thanks for the comment, I really appreciate it

1 Like

Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 9:37pm On Mar 29, 2016
Pictures of last year clearing operations

Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by Molayan: 11:07pm On Mar 29, 2016
hotmas911:
Pictures of last year clearing operations
Pls how many marketable corn/ear is achievable on 1ha of land
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by Davecan(m): 4:57am On Mar 30, 2016
Good job Hotmas. Keep it up and joining you.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 7:53am On Mar 30, 2016
Thank you my sister. Obinrin bi Okunrin meta!
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by jaz(m): 8:33am On Mar 30, 2016
can maize be planted all year round and what equipment are required for mechanized farming of maize ?
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by jephito(m): 11:12pm On Mar 30, 2016
Which is better and more marketable.... To sell fresh or dry

I'm thinking of planting maize in my cassava farm. Is there hybrid maize? And must one use fertiliser /manure?

1 Like

Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 11:28pm On Mar 30, 2016
Molayan:

Pls how many marketable corn/ear is achievable on 1ha of land

With best practices, an hectare should yield up to 5 tons per hectare if not more.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 11:32pm On Mar 30, 2016
jephito:
Which is better and more marketable.... To sell fresh or dry

I'm thinking of planting maize in my cassava farm. Is there hybrid maize? And must one use fertiliser /manure?

Definitely to sell dry is more advisable business-wise. There are hybrid seeds and fertilizer application must not be compromised either manure or synthetic
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 11:37pm On Mar 30, 2016
jaz:
can maize be planted all year round and what equipment are required for mechanized farming of maize ?

Maize can be cultivated all year round, provided you have adequate plans for irrigation. Equipment for mechanized farming of maize include a tractor, plough, planter, combine harvester and irrigation equipment as the case may be.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 8:20am On Apr 01, 2016
Happy new month to all farmers especially maize farmers.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by jephito(m): 4:47pm On Apr 06, 2016
Hello Hotmas911,
I intend to plant maize in my cassava farm like I have earlier said in one of my comment.
I am depending solely on natural water (rain) to cultivate the maize and now it hasn't rained here for over a week now. Though I'm yet to plant the cassava, will it make sense if I plan to the maize after perhaps one rainfall or when is right?
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by obodoG: 6:07pm On Apr 07, 2016
hotmas911:

kindly send the price to gestfarms@gmail.com.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 10:14pm On Apr 07, 2016
obodoG:

kindly send the price to gestfarms@gmail.com.

Sent
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 9:28pm On Apr 15, 2016
The farmer is busy now, more updates soon.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by Certifiedkomo: 1:02am On Apr 16, 2016
Boss do you have pro vitamin A Maize grain ??
hotmas911:
The farmer is busy now, more updates soon.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 9:14pm On Apr 16, 2016
Certifiedkomo:
Boss do you have pro vitamin A Maize grain ??

No but I know someone who can have that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Osun State Farmers, Let Meet Over Here / How Much Is A Bag Of Cucumber / Agriculture Grants Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.