Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,411 members, 7,846,741 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 10:24 PM

Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders (4898 Views)

Poll: President Yar'adua: Is his fight against corruption genuine?

Yes: 38% (27 votes)
No: 61% (44 votes)
This poll has ended

Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) / Patience Seeks End To Teenage Pregnancies In Africa / Nigeria Seeks End To Middle East Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by spikedcylinder: 12:29pm On Dec 11, 2008
The powers that be might never let this see the light of day.
However, there is a reason why the immunity for political leaders was adopted in the first place. Though people use it and abuse it, it still makes sense for the President, his Vice etc to be protected by the constitution. What Yar'adua should seek is a speedy impeachment process for corrupt political officers. That way, they fear of impeachment and conviction looms. undecided
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by Marymos: 12:34pm On Dec 11, 2008
One thing at a time.How far has President Yar'adua gone with his state of emergency in the power sector?Has he made any achievement at all?Removing immunity clause will be a good thing but if he make any attempt he may likely be impeach becos his corrupt subordinates will make sure that it doesn't happen in this country.Lets wait to see whether it was just a joke or he meant it.
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by AlamTara: 12:37pm On Dec 11, 2008
I agree with you that Yaradull is not out of his mind. My point is that you cannot claim you are fighting corruption while you continue to hob-nob with the vanguards of corruption from our very recent past.

@Reptyle You dont realize it but what you have called the man is very apt!! Check your spelling man. YARA'DULL.But I agree with you. You cannot say you are fighting corruption and yet you are sponsoring the very champions of corruption. Sorry Reptyle but we all; yes every last man and woman of us in Nigeria are, hypocrites
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by jaso1(m): 12:42pm On Dec 11, 2008
The day we stop reasoning like a fool we be the end of inhuman act of our courageous incompetent leaders. let me borrow this from excellent citizen, he said "it takes a lot of courageous to be fool" If think work as perceived, the statement is rhetoric in other to earn Nigerians favourable passion over Friday verdict, is to shift our reactions so to say. God is watching, nemesis we speed up its action.
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by Ibime(m): 12:47pm On Dec 11, 2008
Does it fall on the Senate and House to ratify the Constitution? Can a Turkey vote for Christmas?
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by SkyBlue1: 12:53pm On Dec 11, 2008
This removal of immunity might just turn out to be a disaster in the making if correct steps aren't put in place to make sure that such a change won't render the government innactive due to dealing with various law suits etc. The real problem is how serious the government is about actually fighting corruption. Delayed justice or no justice at all has become the norm in Nigeria. It is approaching two years now and the president of the federal republic of Nigeria is still facing court charges. Adedibu had to die of natural causes after living to a ripe old age and that to some was "justice", no ex governor or minister, etc is in jail today after what happened in the last administration that was marked by some of the worst abuses of the constitution when taken into consideration that it was meant to be a "democractic" government. So who is being punished?

This stinks of desperation and eagerness to gain cheap points by pandering to populist views and it also seems to be the apex of cowardice. You want people in the current government to "behave themselves" then simple, make scape goats out of the last offenders. Let it be known that nonsense will not be tolerated and will not go unpunished. Just a simple measure of creating and instilling a system that enforces the law. Nigeria would not be anywhere as bad if the current laws are enforced. However as has been the case of succesive administrations, just to be seen as "doing something" as opposed to a simple case of all motion and no movement, the law as opposed to the breakers of the law would be made the problem and the scape goat. Is such a fundamental change in law actually suppossed to cover the fact that Yar Adua has not really done anything worthy of note since he got into power? Then attacking the state of education? How much money and investment has been pumped into the educational sector and how much of this money has actually been used to develop the educational sector as well as pretty much all other sectors? So how can the federal government now lament at the state of the educational sector? WHAT AUDACITY! Are people actually going to be deceived by this trite?

It would continuosly be reiterated on my part that if anything is to be forced by the people on the administration to get it to do anything, it would be to force this yaradua of a man to address the electoral reforms so that votes can count and when next elections come we can show a lot of these repeat offenders the door including Yaradua himself. But of course i guess i am puting quite a substantial ammount of faith in the good judgement of the Nigerian masses.
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by Reptyle(m): 12:57pm On Dec 11, 2008
Alam-Tara:

@Reptyle You don't realize it but what you have called the man is very apt!! Check your spelling man. YARA'DULL.But I agree with you. You cannot say you are fighting corruption and yet you are sponsoring the very champions of corruption. Sorry Reptyle but we all; yes every last man and woman of us in Nigeria are, hypocrites

The misspelt name was actually deliberate, thanks anyway.

Ibime:

Does it fall on the Senate and House to ratify the Constitution? Can a Turkey vote for Christmas?

grin grin grin
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by Reptyle(m): 12:58pm On Dec 11, 2008
Sky Blue:

This removal of immunity might just turn out to be a disaster in the making if correct steps aren't put in place to make sure that such a change won't render the government innactive due to dealing with various law suits etc. The real problem is how serious the government is about actually fighting corruption. Delayed justice or no justice at all has become the norm in Nigeria. It is approaching two years now and the president of the federal republic of Nigeria is still facing court charges. Adedibu had to die of natural causes after living to a ripe old age and that to some was "justice", no ex governor or minister, etc is in jail today after what happened in the last administration that was marked by some of the worst abuses of the constitution when taken into consideration that it was meant to be a "democractic" government. So who is being punished?

This stinks of desperation and eagerness to gain cheap points by pandering to populist views and it also seems to be the apex of cowardice. You want people in the current government to "behave themselves" then simple, make scape goats out of the last offenders. Let it be known that nonsense will not be tolerated and will not go unpunished. Just a simple measure of creating and instilling a system that enforces the law. Nigeria would not be anywhere as bad if the current laws are enforced. However as has been the case of succesive administrations, just to be seen as "doing something" as opposed to a simple case of all motion and no movement, the law as opposed to the breakers of the law would be made the problem and the scape goat. Is such a fundamental change in law actually suppossed to cover the fact that Yar Adua has not really done anything worthy of note since he got into power? Then attacking the state of education? How much money and investment has been pumped into the educational sector how much of this money has actually been used to develop the educational sector as well as pretty much all other sectors? So how can the federal government now lament at the state of the educational sector? WHAT AUDACITY! Are people actually going to be deceived by this trite?

My sentiments exactly!!!!
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by ladej(m): 1:25pm On Dec 11, 2008
you never bite the hand that feeds u in politics
hence why yaradua cannot bite Ibori or others who sponsored his campaign. depite his rhetoric we all know the truth
politics is a dirty dutty game. he may remove immunity but who will enforce it?
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by mogentle(m): 1:44pm On Dec 11, 2008
IT IS WELLLLLLLL.

even in the well grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by otukpo(f): 1:58pm On Dec 11, 2008
am sure that even if a saint has to come down from heaven in form   of a human to head the affairs of this nation called nigeria at this point in time, nigerians would still have treated the saint exactly the same way they are treating Yar adua. nobody and nothing can make sense and seem real to nigerians now.
lets put sentiments and biases aside, everything that UMY does cannot be wrong. he has taken some right steps and we shld acknowledge that. it is not anybody that does not support ur opinion dt Ribadu is not a saint or that yar adua means well, is either a looter or relation of a looter. lets be objective in our arguements.

should we ask the USA to lease Bill Clinton to Nigeria for at least 8 years to see if anything real/sincere could be seen in him? what do u think?
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by mogentle(m): 2:09pm On Dec 11, 2008
Alam-Tara:

@Reptyle You don't realize it but what you have called the man is very apt!! Check your spelling man. YARA'DULL.But I agree with you. You cannot say you are fighting corruption and yet you are sponsoring the very champions of corruption. Sorry Reptyle but we all; yes every last man and woman of us in Nigeria are, hypocrites

=ERROR
Falacy of hasty generalization.
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by KnowAll(m): 2:13pm On Dec 11, 2008
Removing immunity is the right step in the right direction. Bringing prosecution to a goverment official that has been in office for 4 to 5 years could prove difficult because the principal actors, witnesses and co-conspirators could have died, be out of the country or cannot be located. For that reason when a scandal brokes it should be dealth with now and not 4 to 8 years time when the fact of the story could have been lost in translation.
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by agaba123(m): 3:09pm On Dec 11, 2008
I am not impressed.

Their are many past governors who have no i mmunity at the moment who were serial looters and yet they are walking the streets free while EFCC is busy hunting Ribadu.

Are we blaming immunity for not prosecuting them?

This one na window dressing

What happened to the freedom of information bill? why is he not lobbying the house to pass it?
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by eddy4naija: 3:21pm On Dec 11, 2008
smiley wink cheesy grin angry sad shocked cool tongue embarassed lipsrsealed undecided kiss cry

Old boy, this na just flash for pan.

Being what we are in this country this issue will never end corruption in a country like NIGERIA.

Infact, it will only bring lots of distractions into government, you sabi say all these greedy and opportunists both within and outside the government will always set a trap for those in power in other for them to take over.

Why not allow public office holders especially president and governors to complete their terms in office and step down before prosecuting those found guilthy of corruption while in office, Na so i see am ooooooooh
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by jaso1(m): 3:30pm On Dec 11, 2008
Guys, if i should be allowed i think the topic need to be deleted to allow people focus on other topic. Nigerians are been construed as fools that's why this type of thing is gaining limelight. mind you as you are all busy nursing the trivial, siphoning is still paramount to this regime, it's recognis by carbal Constitution so which immunity are you talking about ?what effect does it have? the EFCC is in a mess anti agencies are now been control by influence nor competent.
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by hedges007(m): 4:30pm On Dec 11, 2008
Abeg who are those wey dey always do this abrakadabra ranking sef? imagine the yeye ranking, National University of Rwanda and Polythenic of Namibia being ranked far far above my GREAT IFE and few other glorified schools in Niaja. Anyway, me i no get any problem with or without the stupidity or immunity clause, the truth is that, if we are so serious about tackling corruption, we know the best way to go. There are many ways of killing a dog rather than hanging it. The old fools who once looted our collective treasury before, but are out of office and still alive , what has be done to them? Those are the ones without office and immunity clause anymore, let only those still in office but without immunity. Anyway, lets try and see if it gonna work?

Naija Will Rise ! ! ! !
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by KnowAll(m): 5:43pm On Dec 11, 2008
All public officials are innocent until proven guilty.

If a case is unfolding right before your koro koro eyes you can argue the merits and flaws of the case now rather than wait till a later date. What I am saying is if you say you will wait 4,5, or even 8 years to hear the case of the corruption some of the actors, co-consipirators and accusers could have died and the case will be inconclusive and therefor thrown out of court. Thats what EFCC is facing now they have no solid proof against all those ex Govenors.

Even in England an offence commited 7 years ago is considered spent and will not be heard in any court in the land.
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by kamalydeen(m): 6:19pm On Dec 11, 2008
keep watching stop ruching , are you in the ruch
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by cre8tivity(f): 6:21pm On Dec 11, 2008
this is great for nigeria.
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by vikiviko(m): 6:23pm On Dec 11, 2008
We shall see how far the campaign will survive
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by chidichris(m): 7:33pm On Dec 11, 2008
Any government that continues to fraternize with the likes of Ibori, Orji Kalu, Odili and the rest of them can never, and I repeat, NEVER claim to be serious about the fight against corruption.

Reptyl,
the line above clearly say where u belong. i know u believe that the likes of tonny annenih, bode george, adedibu, chris uba and andy uba, ribadu and el rufai have the solution to nigeria's problem.

a big no. this yar adua in question is a product of the same cartel whose invincible hands are still rough handling nigeria and nigerians till date.

a gov in a usa state was arrested by the police for questioning over his plans to sale obama's seat in the house and that is a good one.

my position is that we need such disposal of immunity but that shld not be top in our scale of prefference at the moment.

we must accept the fact that yar adua was not ready to be president but for the preasure of obj who found a trusted allied in him so the sick man is confused.

from the way things are going, his next move will be on married men who eat outside their homes. what a confused man?
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by cre8tivity(f): 7:40pm On Dec 11, 2008
your point is seen and well understood, but i think we should give this new development a chance and see what comes out of it. at least, the corrupt governors are no longer comfortable. let's see what happens next.
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by KnowAll(m): 8:01pm On Dec 11, 2008
"Any government that continues to fraternize with the likes of Ibori, Orji Kalu, Odili and the rest of them can never, and I repeat, NEVER claim to be serious about the fight against corruption. "

Lets all stop this judge and jury atitude, Yaradua said he beleives in the rule of law, if you beleive in the rule of law you will agree with me that if someone is doing something right now before your very eyes,  why wait 8 years down the line before you can prosecute when you can prosecute them now, so I agree with baba go-slow on that, I think himself(Yaradua ) his hands are tied he cant really do anything about cases that are as old as our democracy.

I will give you a scenerio,

A Governor wants to rehabiltate some roads in his state he annouces intrested stake holders and contractors should tender for the contract. Lets say Company A bids N250 million to do the job, Company B bids N350 million to do the job and Company C bids N450 million to do the job. The Governor now chose Company C's bid saying there bid was the most comprehensive, it now came to light that Company C is the Governor's subsidiary company. The QUESTION is do you wait 8 years to investigate this kind of case or you investigate it now. The chances is if you investigate it now you might get to the bottom of the case. But 8 years down the line the files are nowhere to be found, bank transaction does not exist anymore, so where do yo start. The bottom line is  the man has no case to answer as the passage of time as made it un-prosecutable.

And going about saying so one is a theif without geniue facts is not right, is just that Nija no get libel laws wey strong , by the time this ex-Governor sue your ass,  pant self you no go get, it will mean a win-win situation for the Governor . [size=6pt]But will all know say they are all theives but where is our proof.[/6]
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by cre8tivity(f): 8:33pm On Dec 11, 2008
we'll be fine if we all obey the rules and regulations.
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by 1luvkipsus: 8:48pm On Dec 11, 2008
OBJ's idea!!!
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by subice(m): 8:54pm On Dec 11, 2008
I wonder why he is coming out with this a couple of days to the judgement. PR stunt to me and I'm not swayed. His actions and appointments potray an inconsistent position as far as fighting corruption is concerned.
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by Nobody: 10:58pm On Dec 11, 2008
So you kids actually believed this camouflage.
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by shotster50(m): 11:28pm On Dec 11, 2008
Na today!!!!!!!!
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by Muza(m): 11:33pm On Dec 11, 2008
I don't know about you guyz,but me,I'm not falling for this con grin
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by jamace(m): 12:49am On Dec 12, 2008
Yes, I can see the  frustrations and despire in the hearts of Nigerians because of past rulers who failed to lead us  in the right path. sad  I support this move because:
I have a dream that one day Nigeria and nigerians shall live by conscience and do things right always for the benefits of Nigeria and nigerians.
I have a dream that one day  nigerians will not  need to know the who is who in the society to be given what is duely theirs.
I have a dream that one day Nigeria and nigerians would not respect persons with ill-gotten wealth but persons of intergrity.
I have a dream that one day  nigerians  would want to serve Nigeria and nigerians based on truth, equal right and justice, just to have their names on the sands of time.
I have a dream that one day  nigerians will be competing  to have a say in the society based on good character and morals only.
I have a dream that one day nigerian political sycophants would become jobless because our leaders will lead by conscience, equal right and justice.
I have a dream that one day  nigerian parents would not influence their children/wards into positions which they are not qualified physically, mentally and morally to hold.
I have a dream that one day the numerous religions, religious houses of worship, pastors/imams/chief priests and their congregations will impact positively on the affairs and lives of Nigeria and nigerians.
I have a dream that one day  our children will raise their heads high in the commity of nations because of the political/economic/technological developments in Nigeria.
I have a dream that one day  nigerians will not be humiliated at airports/seaports and all entry and exit points of other countries of the world because of the belief that nigerians are criminals. cry
I have a dream that one day paper qualification without comensurate competence shall be useless to the holder.
I have a dream that one day Nigeria and nigerians will demand accountability from their leaders without fear of intimidation by the powers that be.
I have a dream that one day Nigeria and nigerians will not disagree with their fellow nigerians merely on the ground of religious/political/ethic differences but on a genuine ground of right and wrong only.
I have a dream that one day  these nonsense dreams of mine shall be the pillar of Nigeria's  existence. sad
So help us God!
Re: Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders by Nobody: 1:10am On Dec 12, 2008
@Jamace

What essence does it make if your dreams come true when you are dead or do you believe in life after death.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos / Ministerial List: Over 80 Per Cent Nominees Fail Integrity Test / When Will Tinubu Declare His Assets?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.