Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,482 members, 7,816,136 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:19 AM

Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos (4876 Views)

Jonathan Lacked Will Power To Fight Corruption – Edwin Clark / Diezani Played God, Even Jonathan Could Not Tame Her – Agbaje / Fashola: Jonathan Lacks The Knowledge To Tackle Nigeria’s Problems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by Ournaija: 11:30am On Sep 09, 2009
The Army of Agberos littered around all corners of Lagos are making life unbearable for all Lagosians. I wonder how people cope with these set of people in their neighbourhood while the Government pretends not to have noticed them.I commend the achievement of the State governor but there are several things he seems to have ignored.

The State government recently embarked on the clean up street traders/hawkers campaign, it agent KAI is executing this with great zeal. What are the sins of the street traders/hawkers when the government is not making an alternative plan for them while aiding the operations of extortioners at the same time? The other day I saw some KAI officials sharing their loot from one of their raids at the expense of the hard working innocent masses. Every government is expected to protect it citizens and not to compound their problems. Why are they ignoring the Agberos?

Are the Agberos who stay at bus stops to collect money from innocents bus drivers/conductors Goverment agent? Many wear different brands of uniform while the senior Agberos wear dirty mufty to collect money from innocent bus drivers/conductors. People pay high fare everyday because of the illegal taxes and levies been paid to these Agberos.Where are the money going? In what name are the money been collected? Who send these people? Were they licensed to operate within the state? Are above the Law? Are they more powerful than the government? It`s really annoying to see these idiots at every bus stop and the government is busy chasing innocents people instead of the monsters on our streets. In some bus stops like Palmgove the Police aid the operations of these idiots by helping them to collects tolls. The government should stop pretending by flashing some social amenities to us while ignoring the monsters inflicting pains on it citizens.

Is governor Fashola helpless or what? Does he know what to do and refuse to do it? Solve Agbero problem in Lagos and Lagos problem will be more than half solved. We have long been decieved.
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by noetic2: 11:39am On Sep 09, 2009
will u be the one to fight the pdp in 2011 when elections start? No civilian governor can have the clout to tame agberos. . , .they are a political asset.
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by asha80(m): 11:44am On Sep 09, 2009
noetic2:

will u be the one to fight the pdp in 2011 when elections start? No civilian governor can have the clout to tame agberos. . , .they are a political asset.

Very backward thinking.
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by noetic2: 11:46am On Sep 09, 2009
asha 80:

Very backward thinking.

very unreasonable assertion.

All I did was to offer an analysis not an opinion. . . . . .why was that so hard to deduce?
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by Nobody: 11:57am On Sep 09, 2009
Of course he doesnt lack such power.

Babatunde Fashola has been a very different thorough-breed statesman from the dirty bang wagons of your typical Nigerian politicians.
But this is west. A part of the country with its own large share of troubles which has been an overwhelming populace of the uneducated and unemployed.

The problem isnt Lagos alone. Its worse in Ogun, Oyo, Osun, basically most of the western part of the country. We even have the so-called Omo-oniles who wantonly extort people in construction like myself, for unnecessary and illegal levies.

These pack of idle and lazy jackals over several years have become more powerful like MEND down in the West because they are constantly available for political thuggery. Who do you think messed up the Ekiti election? Who do you think Lamidi Adedibu use? And our former governor Tinubu, has been somehow complicit in this too. But I wouldnt blame him, since politics is all about winning in Nigeria, so you gotta play by the books.

Every region has its own weaknesses and power. The Yorubas or the West are supposed to run education. While the Ibos, majorly the South are supposed to run trade. When it comes to the Hausas, I really have no idea, but they call themselves "Born to Rule." Meaning, they control politics.
Now, the Yoruba problems emerged and became a lot more serious since the fall of our free educational systems. With primary and secondary schools becoming overwhelmingly dilapidated, several people having to take to the so-called "Hustle".

The biggest problems of Nigeria, and Lagos for now arent the Agberos. They are just a bye-product of several failed and wasted regimes within the country.

And please, stop criticizing Fashola for demolishing those shanties you call shops. My brother was affected, and it has greatly affected his thinking to something a lot more better and bigger and modern. And even my mom testified that Fashola, is organizing a training for women who have lost their shops and trades in Shomolu, Tejuosho and Eko, to start a training course. My mom might be 51 year old, but she recently learn how make stoves, stoves wool, and even they are giving them special training in Adire-making.

If the Abgeros are thrown off their work, believe me, we would all have sleepless nights in Lagos, and Lagos would be one of the most unsafe states within the country. Who do think they would come after? Fashola or the masses?

Change is always a tough thing to implement. And it has it big prices.

I believe in Fashola. And would give my life defending his honor.

Please, try and trust the man. He could have been like his mentor, but he has been far outstanding. Lets see the good he has done and applaud it. That way, he can be more energized to tackle the rest.
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by Nobody: 12:06pm On Sep 09, 2009
@aasog and noetic2. . . I'm feeling u guys!
@Poster

I understand your concern about the agbero issue, but I must tell u that u have a very shallow mindset. If your thinking was straight and u were born in Lagos, u would have understood better.

Agberos have been in Lagos even before Tinubu's regime. Their initial modus operandi was collection of levies from Bus drivers from the garage. A certain time came when the garages were over flooded with more buses due to the ever increasing population of Lagos state. They had to start taking their tolls on the roads at designated points that are known to the drivers. They have a fixed target they must deliver to the National union of road transport workers and the state government. So it's no just a state affair and because those 'agberos' are always harsh with drivers when they refuse to pay doesn't make them criminals.

Fashola isn't happy with the mode of operation of these agberos even as they generate revenue for the government, that's why he created the BRT! When the BRT covers all areas in Lagos, danfo buses will go extinct and agberos will be no more. . .

Please think before u write and stop accusing the Best State Governor in Nigeria!. . .
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by Ournaija: 12:44pm On Sep 09, 2009
@ jassie
@assog
You will agree with me that their mode of operation is not modern. I believe this can change if the governor look at that direction (I believe he has the wisdom to handle this). The governor is no dougbt the best in Nigeria. The harm caused by this Agberos is becoming unbearable. The last time I was in Lagos a conductors was almost beaten to death under the watch of a policeman. You can imagine how many of such case happen everyday. The government can design a kind of ticket which every bus operator must pay each day before jumping into the road. Then the government will leave it for the Agberos to manage in a civilise manner. I know it`s a gradual process but this will really transform the state thus attract more foreign investors.
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by saydfact(m): 12:54pm On Sep 09, 2009
noetic2:

9ice thinking lipsrsealed kiss lipsrsealed

asha 80:

Very backward thinking.

don't think so. lipsrsealed kiss lipsrsealed

well my comment? the Lagos govt gave them uniform ([size=8pt]re-branding[/size]), Fashola has done well, let sm1 else take that on, he cant do it all or maybe that's part of his second term plans (who knows) lipsrsealed kiss lipsrsealed
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by gbolo2001: 1:03pm On Sep 09, 2009
@ naija

i dont tink u have a good nd solid understanding of wat ur talking about, the issue of agbero is far more elevated than u tink, you tink it is a matter of throwing police and army on the roads to round dem up, no, it is a strategic nd step by step method of reducing their number. agbero cannot be removed like dat are we going to drown dem all or thorw dem in fire no it is rehabilitation of this potential labor force dat is to be done, and the foundation is just being laid on ground. its not a months tin its sometin dat takes years to accomplish
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by MuNeme(m): 1:08pm On Sep 09, 2009
He doesn't need to tame them because they will be veritable asset during the next elections
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by Nobody: 1:22pm On Sep 09, 2009
@MuNeme "He doesn't need to tame them because they will be veritable asset during the next elections"

Absolute trash, and baseless view! I dont know what part of the brink or armpit of the country you are from, but you need to see a great deal of systems and approach Fashola has put in place to tackle most of the problem of the state.
Most of the remaining so-called Agberos deeply know that time is running out. Its a matter of time before Fashola pays them attention and modernizes their mode of operation to something more meaningful and human. And useful to Lagosians.
Back in the days, the NURTW has a powerful sway over commuting Lagosians, but with the BRT buses now inflow, they are becoming more weaker.
Lastma, Lawma, and Kai workers are majorly agberos and street thugs, recruited and their life has long been transformed.
They are proud of their work, more organized, and very useful to the process of Lagos Building.
Fashola has a solution to this things. But Nigerians are so cursed with been "impatient", we never understand the phenomenon called "Process", and thats our mentality. We just think of NOW! Quick cash. Quick fix. Quick soultion. The same flawed thinking that has failed us since our so-called "Super Dependence", since the 1960. Everything want something right NOW, and fail to see a bigger picture or the consequences.
If they agberos are just dashed and canceled without proper solution for what they would do, believe me, one of them would be in your street right now, with a dagger or gun, ready to commit a day light robbery on you.
Abeg, leave this man alone. Lets just pray he spends 8 years in good health and right mind frame.
Hes the long answer to the prayers of Lagosians and the west at large.
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by Ajike: 1:29pm On Sep 09, 2009
true thinking, true talk grin
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by Nobody: 1:39pm On Sep 09, 2009
What a dull city Lagos will be without agberos. shocked tongue cheesy
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by camaldina(m): 1:44pm On Sep 09, 2009
This is a very important issue. I have been pondering over it as a Lagosian for long. The Agberos have constituted a despicable social menace in Lagos. I feel very bad for people holding brief for them in the name of joblessness.

How can we move forward as a nation when we find excuses for individuals that act unruly? Prosperity require we be law-abiding come what may.

Unemployment and economic hardship affect over half of Nigerian youth and I am also feeling the pain as write. But I loath to see a youth milking the hard-earned income of aged bus drivers and traders all in the name of hooliganism.  

As much as I applaud the efforts of successful AC administration in Lagos (Fashola has been fantastic, exeptional), I have been bewildered by their use of these Agberos for political purposes. The unalloyed support for “jeun soke” in those days has been legendary.

The answers, whenever I ask a few AC die-hards that I interact with have been: if we let the Agberos to go away, PDP politicians will hijack them, use for electioneering against the Lagos AC.  In Nigeria, Must we use absurdity to curb illegality? Hence the game is this: take the Agberos away, and the AC loses Lagos.

Indeed a Lagos without the Agberos would have been very lovely a city to behold. I believe Lagosians will always vote for a party with ideology and philosophy -and cannot be coerced, bulldozed by the PDP. Nigeria’s problem I hold starts and ends with the PDP. We all can see the southwest scoreboard for instance.

May I clearly state that even though the Agbero phenomenon has been with us in the SouthWest for ages their recklessness in the neighboring states of southwest became heightened owing to their “success” in the almighty Lagos.
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by tayoTFC(m): 1:47pm On Sep 09, 2009
[b]understand your concern about the agbero issue, but I must tell u that u have a very shallow mindset. If your thinking was straight and u were born in Lagos, u would have understood better.

Agberos have been in Lagos even before Tinubu's regime. Their initial modus operandi was collection of levies from Bus drivers from the garage. A certain time came when the garages were over flooded with more buses due to the ever increasing population of Lagos state. They had to start taking their tolls on the roads at designated points that are known to the drivers. They have a fixed target they must deliver to the National union of road transport workers and the state government. So it's no just a state affair and because those 'agberos' are always harsh with drivers when they refuse to pay doesn't make them criminals.

Fashola isn't happy with the mode of operation of these agberos even as they generate revenue for the government, that's why he created the BRT! When the BRT covers all areas in Lagos, danfo buses will go extinct and agberos will be no more. . .

Please think before u write and stop accusing the Best State Governor in Nigeria!. . .  

[/b]

I agree with u, if u dont want to be part with them ,pls patronise BRT, RED CAB and Yellow cab , they are all affordable,
fi igbe le fun agbepo, ( leave agbero for garage, ) cos most of the danfo driver and conductor are once agbero,,,.but one day they will be faceout of lagos , by the time lagos state government fully provide  cooporate mode of transportation, wach out for rail transportation, EKO O NI BA JE OOOO
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by asha80(m): 1:52pm On Sep 09, 2009
I agree with u, if u dont want to be part with them ,pls patronise BRT, RED CAB and Yellow cab , they are all affordable,
fi igbe le fun agbepo, ( leave agbero for garage, ) cos most of the danfo driver and conductor are once agbero,,,.but one day they will be faceout of lagos , by the time lagos state government fully provide cooporate mode of transportation, wach out for rail transportation, EKO O NI BA JE OOOO
[/quote]

[quote author=aasog link=topic=321179.msg4510417#msg4510417 date=1252498966]
@MuNeme "He doesn't need to tame them because they will be veritable asset during the next elections"

Absolute trash, and baseless view! I dont know what part of the brink or armpit of the country you are from, but you need to see a great deal of systems and approach Fashola has put in place to tackle most of the problem of the state.
Most of the remaining so-called Agberos deeply know that time is running out. Its a matter of time before Fashola pays them attention and modernizes their mode of operation to something more meaningful and human. And useful to Lagosians.
Back in the days, the NURTW has a powerful sway over commuting Lagosians, but with the BRT buses now inflow, they are becoming more weaker.
Lastma, Lawma, and Kai workers are majorly agberos and street thugs, recruited and their life has long been transformed.
They are proud of their work, more organized, and very useful to the process of Lagos Building.
Fashola has a solution to this things. But Nigerians are so cursed with been "impatient", we never understand the phenomenon called "Process", and thats our mentality. We just think of NOW! Quick cash. Quick fix. Quick soultion. The same flawed thinking that has failed us since our so-called "Super Dependence", since the 1960. Everything want something right NOW, and fail to see a bigger picture or the consequences.
If they agberos are just dashed and canceled without proper solution for what they would do, believe me, one of them would be in your street right now, with a dagger or gun, ready to commit a day light robbery on you.
Abeg, leave this man alone. Lets just pray he spends 8 years in good health and right mind frame.
Hes the long answer to the prayers of Lagosians and the west at large.
I Like you guys contribution.Not someone saying they are there for as assets for election.Backward thinking.
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by 3kay945(m): 1:54pm On Sep 09, 2009
kudos to u all, u ve spoken positively nd negatively well., lts a process dat take time and strategies, BRT re recordin success, let wait for other means like the train to come in, by then, Agbero will be beggin passenger to patroniz commercial bus., BUT if they re erazed now, haaaa. everybody wil ve to get his own AK47. It like murderin sleep and we shall sleep no more.
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by saydfact(m): 1:55pm On Sep 09, 2009
nuzo:

What a dull city Lagos will be without agberos. shocked tongue cheesy

like no more film shows, lol  lipsrsealed kiss lipsrsealed

MuNeme:

He doesn't need to tame them because they will be veritable asset during the next elections

if u were governor 2day, u wld eradicate them fast; right? and end up breeding more armed robbers, u pple dont know the importance of odd jobs like "agbero", "okada men" etc, jobs that me and u cant do,

USE UR HEAD, not ur hands.  lipsrsealed kiss lipsrsealed
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by MUZBO(m): 1:55pm On Sep 09, 2009
asha 80:

Very backward thinking.
Em I don't see you offering anything on how to handle Agberos. Give us some forward thinking.
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by saydfact(m): 1:58pm On Sep 09, 2009
3kay945:

, haaaa. everybody wil ve to get his own AK47. It like murderin sleep and we shall sleep no more.

sm1 is using his head here, i feel u bro, lipsrsealed kiss lipsrsealed
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by 3kay945(m): 2:12pm On Sep 09, 2009
my second thought., the Agbero can be erazed within 3months., but
it s a cruel and most wicked way of whch i dnt like or want. first, build more prisons. second, make strict law that entail death penality. third, equip the police adequately fourth, asked the federal govt for military assistance. five, send them packin.,cos u re good to go!! it inhuman shai
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by 3kay945(m): 2:26pm On Sep 09, 2009
i rest my case,, peace out tongue
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by MUZBO(m): 2:43pm On Sep 09, 2009
@poster, Agbero problem is not like the illegal structures problem where you can demolish the illegal structure and see immediate progress. I can't even believe you compared them. The Agberos are free-lancers; its not as if they have a base where they operate like camp 4 that you can uproot so it presents a peculiar problem much like guerrila warfare. You want to send police and KAI against them? those ones are just Agberos in black and green respectively as far as I'm concerned and you know it. Like someone said and rightly too, think before you criticize. Gov Fash doesn't have jazz that will pinpoint all Agberos and give them the plague so give us your wise feasible solution and watch me punch holes in them.
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by baslone: 3:01pm On Sep 09, 2009
3kay945:

my second thought., equip the police adequately
, SALT UPON INJURY!!![i][/i]
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by coolneger(m): 3:07pm On Sep 09, 2009
What a dull city Lagos will be without agberos

I agree with you die. has anybody noticed those guys get fine signature grin grin grin , check the next bus you see and u will agree with me.
But pls lets be patient with the Guy,i believe he's already thinking about them agberos.Very soon i believe there will be a change.
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by Nobody: 3:09pm On Sep 09, 2009
cool neger:

What a dull city Lagos will be without agberos

maybe, maybe not.

But worth a try.
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by Marymos: 3:11pm On Sep 09, 2009
I really admire the great work Governor Fashola is doing in Lagos.He has done so well.The only issue i have against him is his sentimental attitude towards agberos.If Fashola can disposses people of their shops and others homeless to make Lagos a mega city, then i don't see overcoming agberos as an impossible task.Since agberos comprises of yorubas and some of them are being used by him to achieve his other personal ambition,there is little or nothing he can do.Is a pity.
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by FELIX30(m): 3:20pm On Sep 09, 2009
The problem with Nigerians is that we have a shallow reasoning. This man called Fashola has a plan for Lagos, and tis is gonna take some time to accomplish.
He is moving gradually (as all of us can see) and i bet you, at the end of  his administration,(4yrs or may be cool Lagos will be a city to behold.

Anyhow, i wish him 8yrs in office.
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by mafolayomi(f): 4:04pm On Sep 09, 2009
@ marymos, here we go again, tribalism. As if yorubas too was not been divested of their homes/chops.

Stop being tribalistic and face the real issue
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by mafolayomi(f): 4:05pm On Sep 09, 2009
@ marymos, here we go again, tribalism. As if yorubas too was not been divested of their homes/shops.

Stop being tribalistic and face the real issue
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by MUZBO(m): 4:17pm On Sep 09, 2009
Marymos:

. .If Fashola can disposses people of their shops and others homeless to make Lagos a mega city, then i don't see overcoming agberos as an impossible task.Since agberos comprises of yorubas and some of them are being used by him to achieve his other personal ambition,there is little or nothing he can do.Is a pity.
You are a tribalistic jerk for your post. Yorubas were not affected abi? Here's your answer, read and undertand
MUZBO:

:@poster, Agbero problem is not like the illegal structures problem where you can demolish the illegal structure and see immediate progress. I can't even believe you compared them. The Agberos are free-lancers; its not as if they have a base where they operate like camp 4 that you can uproot so it presents a peculiar problem much like guerrila warfare. .  . think before you criticize. Gov Fash doesn't have jazz that will pinpoint all Agberos and give them the plague so give us your wise feasible solution and watch me punch holes in them.
Re: Governor Fashola Lacks The Will Power To Tame Lagos Agberos by econsult(m): 4:19pm On Sep 09, 2009
I believe we should commend Gov Raji Fashola for the steps taken so far.No governor after Lateef Jakande has been that bold and courageous.I think we need to give him time to do what he wants to do.look at Oshodi then and now,what a g8 improvement.I bet you not even the military could tame Oshodi.I believe Fashola  does not want to rock the boat of this administration so he his applying  much wisdom in this regard.Fashola being an intellectual is approaching this issue with a lot of tact.with the introduction of BRT  buses in Lagos with improved transportation services he is gradually phasing out the agberos.So lets be patient with him.Eko  o ni baje o.Don't think i'm a politician.I'm not one and will never be one.I'm just a fan of this g8 icon

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

For Those Who Claim Sudan As An Example For Nigeria / Breaking News: Muhammed Abacha Returns To APC In Kano / See What Liberian Man Posted Abt Buhari Daughter That Has Got People Talking(pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.