Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,022 members, 7,810,827 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:20 PM

Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: (4594 Views)

Progress Report On Uyo Main Airport Terminal Building( PIC) / Faulty Conveyor-belts & Fans At Refurbished Lagos Airport Terminal / Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by Nobody: 1:54am On Dec 25, 2014
The first time i ever boarded a plane (Triax airline) was in 1998-during Abacha's regime.
Honestly, all i have is vague memories of that moment but i have a lucid recollections of certain events that transpired while we were in the airport terminal.

Before we boarded the plane, my uncle suggested that we (the children) strike a pose together so he can take a quick picture of us posing near a plane. Before my uncle finished that statement, (while simultaneously setting up his camera), an airport official grabbed the camera from him and gave it to a military man. I really cannot remember much of what happened then but after the brief ordeal, all my uncle said to us is that pictures are not allowed in the airport!

Fast forward to 2014.

Few months ago, on my way back from Enugu (Aero contractors), i observed a white woman trying to get a selfie with her baby in the airport tarmac. After a couple of pictures, an airport official walked up to her and requested to see her phone. After which i guess he deleted the pictures because the lady was visibly upset.

That left me wondering why is an airport picture disallowed in Nigeria?

I do not see any threat posed by mere pictures; neither do i see how those pictures negatively affects any airport user!!

Is there any law banning pictures in the airport?
is there something i don't know?

Expecting cogent answers from you guys!

http://spankthedonut..com/2014/12/why-arent-we-allowed-to-take-pictures.html

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by Nobody: 2:04am On Dec 25, 2014
Because you cannot easily differentiate between someone taking a casual picture and someone doing surveillance probably for an evil reason...

4 Likes

Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by Generalkorex(m): 2:07am On Dec 25, 2014
Lemme google it for you.
Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by Nobody: 2:07am On Dec 25, 2014
MusaIbrahim1:
Because you cannot easily differentiate between someone taking a casual picture and someone doing surveillance probably for an evil reason...

what evil reason?

Thats a silly excuse

8 Likes

Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by Nobody: 2:13am On Dec 25, 2014
Aigipan:

what evil reason?

Thats a silly excuse

Surveillance.. may involve gathering of details over a long time, maybe with cameras, or other digital appliance, the person involved maybe looking for a way to break security protocol usually it may be for terrorism or to cross drugs..... Well, you sound silly to think it is a silly excuse... even here at Charles de Gaulle airport, where I school in France, its prohibited grin...

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by Nobody: 2:43am On Dec 25, 2014
MusaIbrahim1:

Surveillance.. may involve gathering of details over a long time, maybe with cameras, or other digital appliance, the person involved maybe looking for a way to break security protocol usually it may be for terrorism or to cross drugs..... Well, you sound silly to think it is a silly excuse... even here at Charles de Gaulle airport, where I school in France, its prohibited grin...

Oga, I have never been to france but nigeria is the only country I know that doesnt allow pictures in airport tarmac.

5 Likes

Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by Nobody: 2:45am On Dec 25, 2014
Aigipan:

what evil reason?

Thats a silly excuse
Help me ask am oooh...if a spy wants to get pictures of the airport, trust me, they dont need a hand held camera. It might be attached to their suitcase or even pen.

9 Likes

Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by Nobody: 2:48am On Dec 25, 2014
icebeatz:

Oga, I have never been to france but nigeria is the only country I know that doesnt allow pictures in airport tarmac.

you need to go out more then

well, its just for security reasons, capish

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by Nobody: 2:52am On Dec 25, 2014
MusaIbrahim1:

you need to go out more then

well, its just for security reasons, capish

Loool... ive been to alot of countriees bro.... never witneseee this kinda embarrasment and I have personally snapped picshures in som foreign airport tarmac.

4 Likes

Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by temitemi1(m): 5:56am On Dec 25, 2014
Taking pictures shouldn't be a big deal na.

2 Likes

Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by aresa: 6:12am On Dec 25, 2014
There is obviously no law against taking pictures at any airport in Nigeria, it's ignorance and over sabi...

5 Likes

Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by otokx(m): 6:52am On Dec 25, 2014
Nigeria is still in the stone age, cameras and phones leave security agents in awe.

7 Likes

Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by lawrencemleopo: 6:54am On Dec 25, 2014
for security reasons. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by francizy(m): 7:41am On Dec 25, 2014
Na 9ja girls cause am, they snap everywhere, even in toilets when they taking shyts.. Probably the reason why it was prohibited cuz airport officials got tired of seeing girls take selfies per second, especially where they stepping in for the first time...lol... grin
Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by Nobody: 7:57am On Dec 25, 2014
lawrencemleopo:
for security reasons. grin

Bro, what sort of security will taking a picture breach??

Mind you, this has been like this since I was a kid.
What sort of security breach are they preventing? Does the president stay in the airport?
Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by oduastates: 8:24am On Dec 25, 2014
MusaIbrahim1:
Why go through all the headache for something which is readily available ? Detailed plans and design of most public buildings (apart from a few) are available on google , in public libraries , universities worldwide etc. even documentaries on airports are blockbusters nowadays.
Airports fall into the same category as hotels ,restaurants etc .They must be welcoming and with emphasis on good customers service. Nigeria is simply antiquated.
From your airports ,educational curriculum NYSC to NNPC , wasting money on Abuja etc
The human infrastructure at those airport leave much to be desired. Take a trip to your local bank or MTN office and then to the airport. Make a CS comparison
Nigeria : still stuck in the 18th century

6 Likes

Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by Gliding(m): 8:49am On Dec 25, 2014
MusaIbrahim1:

If I am really interested in surveillance, I would simply get hidden cameras. Trust me, we are not preventing any espionage by this primitive behaviour.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by martynsnet: 9:16am On Dec 25, 2014
icebeatz:

Loool... ive been to alot of countriees bro.... never witneseee this kinda embarrasment and I have personally snapped picshures in som foreign airport tarmac.

I got loads and loads of em.

Different airports have their own regulations, and instead of saying you have been to many airports, mention the names of those many airports you have been to and let us confirm from first hand experience. For example Upington Airport, South Africa doesn't allow pictures at the tarmac, even as a crew.
Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by Nobody: 9:24am On Dec 25, 2014
martynsnet:

Different airports have their own regulations, and instead of saying you have been to many airports, mention the names of those many airports you have been to and let us confirm from first hand experience. For example Upington Airport, South Africa doesn't allow pictures at the tarmac, even as a crew.

Upington has to be one of all those numerous private air strip in south africa.
Besides, i dont think its a major flight destination cos most flights coming to south ends up in tambo.

You cannot make a comparism to MMA or NAA....
Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by chamboy(m): 9:34am On Dec 25, 2014
temitemi1:
Taking pictures shouldn't be a big deal na.
Abi na Oya say ur normal slogan
Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by TonySpike: 9:40am On Dec 25, 2014
martynsnet:

This a picture from Port Elizabeth Airport, located in the same South Africa you're referring to. Infact, I took this several weeks ago, right there on the tarmac while disembarking from the plane.

2 Likes

Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by martynsnet: 9:44am On Dec 25, 2014
icebeatz:

Upington has to be one of all those numerous private air strip in south africa.
Besides, i dont think its a major flight destination cos most flights coming to south ends up in tambo.

You cannot make a comparism to MMA or NAA....

How is Upington a private air strip? Not as big Or Tambo, but a major airport. And am not making reference to any private air strip as they are not open to commercial. even at that, I have landed at a private air strip and taken a pics. We are still waiting for those numerous airports you have been to and taken pics at the TARMAC.
Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by Nobody: 9:53am On Dec 25, 2014
martynsnet:

How is Upington a private air strip? Not as big Or Tambo, but a major airport. And am not making reference to any private air strip as they are not open to commercial. even at that, I have landed at a private air strip and taken a pics. We are still waiting for those numerous airports you have been to and taken pics at the TARMAC.

no one has heard of upington looool!... is it a commercial airport?
Like can i book a flight from Nigeria to upington?? of course not!
so, its not pertinent to this discussion cos its in a disparate class of airport.
Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by martynsnet: 10:02am On Dec 25, 2014
icebeatz:

no one has heard of upington looool!... is it a commercial airport?
Like can i book a flight from Nigeria to upington?? of course not!
so, its not pertinent to this discussion cos its in a disparate class of airport.

Say u haven't heard of Upington, and that's because u haven't been to so many airports has you claim. you posted a pics of PE, can you take a flight from Nigeria to PE? as a matter of fact PE is a very porous airport and very open with about 3 flight schools there, my friend trained at Aptrac. again you are missing the point, I am not saying you cant take pics at tarmacs, am saying different airports have their own regulations. you are advised to check up those regulations so you don't get yourself in trouble.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by Nobody: 11:45am On Dec 25, 2014
icebeatz:

Bro, relax... Even at the big apple, TSA won't allow you to take pictures anyhow... You do need to know the regulations guiding each airport...
Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by Nobody: 12:12pm On Dec 25, 2014
MusaIbrahim1:

Bro, relax... Even at the big apple, TSA won't allow you to take pictures anyhow... You do need to know the regulations guiding each airport...

u right sha!.... each and every airport has its own regulations!.....
i have never encountered such situation anywhere else but in naija sha.
thats all im saying!
Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by vanndubi: 12:39pm On Dec 25, 2014
I have observed over time that certain laws/ rules in Nigeria's aviation and oil & gas industries are taken to the extreme. No doubt, Intrinsically unsafe devices (source of ignition- phones, cameras) etc must not be used in the vicinity of fuel.

Because nigerians seems to take pleasure in watering down standards, hence the absolute prohibition of intrinsically unsafe devices in hazardous zone in aviation and oil & gas facilities.

Impact of single accident in these industries can be enormous, so they do not even care if ur phone is in airplane mode - (extreme measure- switch off ur phones)

But if u want to take photos in the terminal, approach the authority there and get permission. I think they should grant that if ur device is safe to use.

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by Badgers14: 12:56pm On Dec 25, 2014
@Op, that's same in O'Hare Chicago.I too wonder why you can't take pictures
Actually at baggage claim area they have a notice posted all over the place. TSA agents are red faced about that too but I guess TSA have a better reason of doing what they are doing.
Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by martynsnet: 1:20pm On Dec 25, 2014
Badgers14:
@Op, that's same in O'Hare Chicago.I too wonder why you can't take pictures
Actually at baggage claim area they have a notice posted all over the place. TSA agents are red faced about that too but I guess TSA have a better reason of doing what they are doing.

The guy was just going on and on of how he has been to so many airports, with the way he was arguing I began to have doubts if he has ever been out of a Nigerian airport. in some countries it is not restricted to the airports, but certain buildings and monuments as well. Mr Op pls do well to read up brochures of places you are visiting, it will help you. Not coming here to post pics of PE and be screaming "I have been to many airports"

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by okotv(m): 1:40pm On Dec 25, 2014
I never knew this but now I know
Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by Nobody: 1:43pm On Dec 25, 2014
martynsnet:

The guy was just going on and on of how he has been to so many airports, with the way he was arguing I began to have doubts if he has ever been out of a Nigerian airport. in some countries it is not restricted to the airports, but certain buildings and monuments as well. Mr Op pls do well to read up brochures of places you are visiting, it will help you. Not coming here to post pics of PE and be screaming "I have been to many airports"

Cant a nigga feel himself? Does my claim affect you in anyway at all?
Besides, u were not the person I was replying to. I was replying musaibrahim1 who asked me to "go out more often". So I replied by saying that I have been to alot of places and have only experienced such in nigeria.

Didnt know travelling out is still such a big deal... even if I am lying (which im not), does it in anyway negatively affect you.??

Besides, I didnt post any picture of any airport. Check the user names and see for yourself.

What are you trying to prove? That im a liar?? Or that you know everywhere in the world?
Or both?

Nawa for people ohhh.

Even if I have lived all my life in ajegunle, cant u just let a nigga shine??

Seriously nawa for people like u.
Na una sabi pass....

This is supposed to be educative.
I wouldnt be asking these questions if I knew the answer.... challenging my claim that I have travelled to alot of countries (in reply to musaibrahim1) is not pertinent to tye issue at hand.

2 Likes

Re: Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: by Nobody: 1:51pm On Dec 25, 2014
vanndubi:
I have observed over time that certain laws/ rules in Nigeria's aviation and oil & gas industries are taken to the extreme. No doubt, Intrinsically unsafe devices (source of ignition- phones, cameras) etc must not be used in the vicinity of fuel.

Because nigerians seems to take pleasure in watering down standards, hence the absolute prohibition of intrinsically unsafe devices in hazardous zone in aviation and oil & gas facilities.

Impact of single accident in these industries can be enormous, so they do not even care if ur phone is in airplane mode - (extreme measure- switch off ur phones)

But if u want to take photos in the terminal, approach the authority there and get permission. I think they should grant that if ur device is safe to use.

Well spoken.
The naija officials are overzealous when it comes to that.
Na common selfie looool.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Western Nigeria, Nigerians And The Truth / why is Nigeria called The Giant Of Africa? / BREAKING NEWS! Nnamdi kanu blasts again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.