Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,054 members, 7,835,565 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

Why Not A .NG Tld? - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Not A .NG Tld? (5963 Views)

Registering Nigerian TLD .ng / Which Tld Is Better .com / Com.ng / Free .ng (nigerian Tld - Top Level Domain) Registration Till ---extended--! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by youngies(m): 3:40pm On Dec 13, 2008
ztyle:

Mr.youngies
Dude i try to comprehend ur post but couldn't get ur point nevertheless u're rite he can't afford, but yet claim to have the biggest Nigerian Website with no .NG attach to it, come to think of it that dude is makinq million's from this site, u can't tell me that you're not aware of that, huh.

My point is that a busy site like nairaland cannot afford to have incessant down-time which normally associated with .ng domain.

I really do not know how much Seun is making from this site, but he should be wherever that butters his bread.
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by youngies(m): 3:41pm On Dec 13, 2008
Solocent

Are u soliciting?
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by ztyle(m): 3:47pm On Dec 13, 2008
JYOU,

JJYOU:

what is your point here sir? must everything nigerian has .ng? where is he making the millions from? please give us his house address and bank account number
Dude u just a newbies & that's it, my point is that lets embrace the .NG Domain name or go for the sub-domain .Com.NG
your No.2 question, Capital YES, all Nigerian must have the .NG attach to their domain names that is if you're proud to be a Nigerian . . .haba lets creat a good image for our nation na, which level.
And that of Seun i insist u flip to the front page of NAIRALAND e-book to get more details. lol.

Youngies,
U have spoken well i don't have much to say since u can't admit to the fact.
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by JJYOU: 3:52pm On Dec 13, 2008
youngies:

No, you do not have to give any account details before you could register your .ng domain. The issue of security of your credit card does not arise. Maybe you need to open the registration site and look at fields in the form for registeration, http://db.register.net.ng

Thanks
as many pointed out in an earlier thread on this subject that is the point.  the integrity of the nigerian brand is very high as you know. you come accross as someone with vast knowledge of this subject and you are saying security of info does not arise.  i wonder why you said that.  i personally will not volunteer my enemies name onto some website let alone mine.

we own various names through  oneandone, godaddy, register.com, registerfly and hostmonsters for years.  even when registerfly was in serious trouble the migration to other registrars was trouble free.  i wish the .ng luck and success but i wait to see many questions answered first
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by JJYOU: 3:58pm On Dec 13, 2008
ztyle:

JYOU,

Dude u just a newbies & that's it, my point is that lets embrace the .NG Domain name or go for the sub-domain .Com.NG
your No.2 question, Capital YES, all Nigerian must have the .NG attach to their domain names that is if you're proud to be a Nigerian . . .haba lets creat a good image for our nation na, which level.
And that of Seun i insist u flip to the front page of NAIRALAND e-book to get more details. lol.

Youngies,
U have spoken well i don't have much to say since u can't admit to the fact.

newbie as in what oga? i dont know anything about this other than owning domains but i i do know owning .ng does not make anyone more  patriotic than the other.  what has .ng got to do with being proud? i have .eu, .us, org.uk  does that make me proud us citizen even though i dont live there?
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by ztyle(m): 4:24pm On Dec 13, 2008
Dude being proud as in ur love anything abt ur country! anyway i rest my case "i tot i was conversing with a nigerian"
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by youngies(m): 4:57pm On Dec 13, 2008
JJYOU:

as many pointed out in an earlier thread on this subject that is the point. the integrity of the nigerian brand is very high as you know. you come accross as someone with vast knowledge of this subject and you are saying security of info does not arise. i wonder why you said that. i personally will not volunteer my enemies name onto some website let alone mine.

we own various names through oneandone, godaddy, register.com, registerfly and hostmonsters for years. even when registerfly was in serious trouble the migration to other registrars was trouble free. i wish the .ng luck and success but i wait to see many questions answered first

The bold part refers.

Maybe I didn't understand what you were alluding to in the first instance, If my memory serves me right, this was what you initially asked:
what is the security of info like with naija domain registrations. do you have to give your credit card details and what is the gaurantee it wont be compromised?
I was trying to explain to you that you do not need to put your credit card info like (e.g your PIN) while filling the registration form.

.nd tld is being controlled by Nigerian government through NITDA, so I fail to see your reason for being apprehensive in filling out a form for a domain registration, whereas you will be cool to enter your correct personal info when filling out a JAMB or NECO form. Isn't it the same government, the same country?
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by OmniPotens(m): 5:00pm On Dec 13, 2008
Well, this topic is just pertaining to we Nigerians firstly before we start involving the outside world.

I still think there is no big deal about having the .ng tld. It is of great value to us.  Those who castigate it seems to be enemies of Nigeria and I don't think they are proud of themselves not to talk about their origin.

The management in charge of the registration of this domain is really to be held for this. I think they are the ones not helping matters. As we can see, there are people who are ready to use these domains but what about the issuing company, are they there and ready to issue these domains and with competent services (no downtimes (99%), stable, accessible, etc)?
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by ztyle(m): 5:08pm On Dec 13, 2008
Honour to you Moderator! cool
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by youngies(m): 5:11pm On Dec 13, 2008
OminPotens

Again, I speak from my experience. It will be very unfair to blame the management as not being ready to issue these .ng domains out. In fairness to them, for you to obtain a .ng domain, you do not really need to talk to any of the NITDA staff if u are not going to use their servers.

Just fill out the online registration form, then wait for it to be auto processed, that may take a while, say 2 days or so. They will call you to confirm your admin contact, then you are go.

Issues of downtime can be blamed on infrastructure just like we have then in power, health, school etc.
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by pie1ect(m): 5:27pm On Dec 13, 2008
I think the decision to use a .ng domain name should be given to clients but not forced on them. The .com domain name does not mean your website is US-based. let's be very clear on that. It means it is a [b]COM[/b]mercial website (at least that was the original intention), and that is why it's so popular - it is a generic TLD. So the idea that Nigerians are not being proud of their country when they don't use the .ng domain name is flawed, in my opinion.
The reason why the .com TLD is perceived as American is simple - it was originally issued by some US agency and though maintenance of the TLD has transferred from organization to organization, it is still administered by an American agency or firm.

Not many US companies go with .us domains, as not all UK companies go with .co.uk. The problem with getting a country-code TLD is that you are perceived as not open for business to the rest of the world - you are only open for business to people in that country or region (as in the .eu domain names).

If I am a shoe designer based in Nigeria and I need a website, I go with .com TLD, because in all likelihood, I might grow to become an international brand in the future.

Now if I am a Nigerian e-commerce provider (like a Nigerian ebay, for instance) I should go with a .com.ng TLD, because this is my target audience and I don't intend to change that. However, I register .com and whatever else for security and to avoid legal battles later.
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by youngies(m): 5:32pm On Dec 13, 2008
pie1ect:

I think the decision to use a .ng domain name should be given to clients but not forced on them. The .com domain name does not mean your website is US-based. let's be very clear on that. It means it is a [b]COM[/b]mercial website (at least that was the original intention), and that is why it's so popular - it is a generic TLD. So the idea that Nigerians are not being proud of their country when they don't use the .ng domain name is flawed, in my opinion.
The reason why the .com TLD is perceived as American is simple - it was originally issued by some US agency and though maintenance of the TLD has transferred from organization to organization, it is still administered by an American agency or firm.

Not many US companies go with .us domains, as not all UK companies go with .co.uk. The problem with getting a country-code TLD is that you are perceived as not open for business to the rest of the world - you are only open for business to people in that country or region (as in the .eu domain names).

If I am a shoe designer based in Nigeria and I need a website, I go with .com TLD, because in all likelihood, I might grow to become an international brand in the future.

Now if I am a Nigerian e-commerce provider (like a Nigerian ebay, for instance) I should go with a .com.ng TLD, because this is my target audience and I don't intend to change that. However, I register .com and whatever else for security and to avoid legal battles later.
MINT!!!!!!!!
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by OmniPotens(m): 6:00pm On Dec 13, 2008
@pie1ect
I understand what you are trying to point out here. It is good and quite obvious that the .com is "commercial". One more thing here people should understand, from my own point of view is that, depending on the business environment you find yourself in, you should adopt their domain tld. If you are in the UK, .co.uk should service you. In the US, .us, South Africa is .co.za and Nigeria is .com.ng but why are we not using it? Why the difficulty? If you say it takes 48 hours to obtain, why must it be so? Is there anything so special about it?
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by JJYOU: 6:10pm On Dec 13, 2008
youngies:

The bold part refers.

Maybe I didn't understand what you were alluding to in the first instance, If my memory serves me right, this was what you initially asked:I was trying to explain to you that you do not need to put your credit card info like (e.g your PIN) while filling the registration form.

.nd tld is being controlled by Nigerian government through NITDA, so I fail to see your reason for being apprehensive in filling out a form for a domain registration, whereas you will be cool to enter your correct personal info when filling out a JAMB or NECO form. Isn't it the same government, the same country?

i cant see why you didnt see the difference of young kids dropping their name for waec and registering  your details with a website for business.  forget about credit card PIN for now.  anybody can compromisse any information. there are data protection laws i think will not be enforced in naija. i will explore the site to see how we can hold some of our names protected there.  wish you all good luck
OmniPotens:

@pie1ect
I understand what you are trying to point out here. It is good and quite obvious that the .com is "commercial". One more thing here people should understand, from my own point of view is that, depending on the business environment you find yourself in, you should adopt their domain tld. If you are in the UK, .co.uk should service you. In the US, .us, South Africa is .co.za and Nigeria is .com.ng but why are we not using it? Why the difficulty? If you say it takes 48 hours to obtain, why must it be so? Is there anything so special about it?
naija is a unique state
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by cvibe: 6:18pm On Dec 13, 2008
Not until registering a .NG domain name is as easy as 123.
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by pie1ect(m): 6:23pm On Dec 13, 2008
OmniPotens:

@pie1ect
One more thing here people should understand, from my own point of view is that, depending on the business environment you find yourself in, you should adopt their domain tld.
OmniPotens,
What you are suggesting is that clients should be required to use a TLD even if it is not in their business interest. I think they should be given the choice but they should choose what they want, because ultimately it is a business decision, afterall.

Check this out - Adgator uses a .co.za TLD and they say they are an African advertising network for bloggers.

For now, they may be successful but I don't reckon they'll go very far with that kind of domain name if a rival African firm (with a .com TLD or something more inclusive) opens its doors to African bloggers, because the perception is that they are trying to pass off their brand as a South African brand, rather than a global or continental brand. I think it is highly unlikely that Linkshare or clickbank would have been as successful as they are today if they had gone with a .us domain name, and that is why there is a .com.

Nigerian brands should by all means use a .ng TLD if you want to sell yourself as a Nigerian brand but where that is not the intention, by all means use a .com TLD.
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by OmniPotens(m): 6:31pm On Dec 13, 2008
I understand you pie.

Just that they should really make this .NG come live and serve those interested better. Can they?
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by ShinaBN(m): 6:50pm On Dec 13, 2008
Depend on the business you are targeting.

dot com is for Commercial
dot org is for Organization
dot net is for Network
dot tv is for Television

dot za is for South Africa
dot ng is for Nigeria
dot us is for State
dot co is for Canada

so think before you use any dotcom.

See this website for details: http://www.nextpublisher.com/list.html

Shina
Basic Network
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by babydouch: 2:48pm On Dec 14, 2008
im up for d local content initiative, NG all the way
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by ogbongzky(m): 3:53pm On Dec 14, 2008
lets first ask seun why he opted for nairaland.com instead of nairaland.com.ng maybe we can get some facts from him
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by OmniPotens(m): 4:23pm On Dec 14, 2008
Asking Seun is not going to solve your problem because his choice are likely not going to be the same as yours. The main thing here is getting the admin in charge of this .NG TLD to make the whole registration process worth it or simply, they announce the non-existence of it and all remove their minds from it.
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by ztyle(m): 7:37pm On Dec 14, 2008
ogbongzky:

lets first ask seun why he opted for nairaland.com instead of nairaland.com.ng maybe we can get some facts from him
Bros no need!
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Dec 15, 2008
HMM Whatever!,
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by Seton(m): 5:21pm On Dec 15, 2008
folks,
i think what is important is for us to embrace the .ng TLD, 'cos it is only we that can promote it,
what about its efficiency? i know you may want to know, we do not have control over that but i want to beg you in the name of whatever you believe in to always have a backup in case NITDA or NIRA fails, you never can tell.
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by OmniPotens(m): 5:54pm On Dec 15, 2008
Has anyone a direct link on where to contact those in charge of this .NG TLD?
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by fransois2(m): 6:04pm On Dec 15, 2008
I believe the .com.ng is not being patronized by Nigerians due to the time it takes by the nigerian government in charge of the registration to process any request forward to it which is not good for business.
I believe it is better now and I implore patriotic Nigerians to patronize our own domain.
You can visit the link below if you are interested in getting one today. Thanks
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by ewealths(m): 4:16pm On Dec 17, 2008
I think one problem of the .com.ng will be reselling it,I am an online real estate person,I register domain simply because I want to sell it later, does it mean I will not be able to resell? Any useful tips pls.
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by software(m): 6:47pm On Dec 17, 2008
it could have been nice if we had mydomain.ng
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by OmniPotens(m): 1:21pm On Dec 18, 2008
Even if we had the TLD as .ng, do you think the main problem which is the availability and ease of registration will be solved?
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Dec 18, 2008
.com.ng went down last year, and that alone has discouraged me
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by Seton(m): 9:44pm On Dec 18, 2008
ewealths:

I think one problem of the .com.ng will be reselling it,I am an online real estate person,I register domain simply because I want to sell it later, does it mean I will not be able to resell? Any useful tips please.

ewealth, i think www.nira.org.ng and nitda have tried to scheme out domainers, so we can resell .ng domains. some of the measures are the you provide an administrator who will be a worker in the organisation you want to register and i learnt they will call the person to confirm.

Commercially .ng domains will be available for registration from january 1, let us give them till end of january to see how far they have gone, or what do you people think.

about mydomain.ng maybe we have to talk to nira or any of their registrar. It won't be a bad idea you know

@Omnipotens
reach them at www.nira.org.ng or www.nitda.org.ng
Re: Why Not A .NG Tld? by OmniPotens(m): 1:37am On Dec 19, 2008
@Seton

Thanks for the link. Just as you've stated, we will have to wait for them until next year to see what they can actually do. If they do well, we applaud them, else, ,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Get Real Nigerian Twitter Followers / Google Now In Hausa And Yoruba / Free VPN Account On Telegram Channel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.