Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,038 members, 7,818,067 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:48 AM

I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari (32459 Views)

Dasukigate: I Won't Come To Court, Unless You Abduct Me - Dasuki / I Won't Appoint PDP Defectors As Ministers - Buhari / I Won’t Have Office For First Lady - Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by Nobody: 10:56am On Dec 26, 2014
Nayoanalytical:
Nigerians should shine their eyes,GMB wants to get power by all means.He has used the greatest human tool,terrorism to make Nigeria ungovernable but he is not succeeding,now he and his cohorts are playing on the psyches of gullible Nigerians with all manner of promises.

so o he shld not promise us anything? wen he says something u peeps complain, on d reverse, complain. u only can look into d contents of his words. das d only tin he can offer now coz he isn't a president yet
Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by hansad: 10:59am On Dec 26, 2014
saaedlee:
Just to cut cost of running govt. It is a nice proposition!
but Buhari is a habitual liar. He never keeps his word/promise. In 1983, as Head of State, Buhari told Nigerian youths that they were leaders of tomorrow. But more than three decades after that, Buhari in his mid 70s is still fighting against those youths to lead Nigeria. After the last presidential election, Buhari publicly declared that he shall not contest again for president of Nigeria. Buhari told Nigerians that late Sani Abacha was not corrupt. Buhari lied that BOKO Haram people are freedom fighters. Do not beleve pronouncements that come from Buhari's mouth.

2 Likes

Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by Ebukaokeke5: 11:00am On Dec 26, 2014
There my president speaks.
Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by coolebux(m): 11:01am On Dec 26, 2014
Qyubee:

M not sure u've seen his wife. Compare her with pej.

At least PEJ's hubby recognised her with an office.
Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by olak3: 11:02am On Dec 26, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:

Senseless comment. Does the Constitution recognize the Office of the First Lady, that draws from the national treasury? Does the wife of Obama have an office?
office of the first lady never be in constitution, it is way of given recognition for president's wife and waste country money through the so called office
Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by onatisi(m): 11:07am On Dec 26, 2014
So to buhari this issue is the most important to nigerians at this time ,abi? Just less than 8 weeks ,he is yet to lay out any sensible economic plan that he has to nigerian. I have a feeling tinubu and amaechi even set this guy up to mess up. Buhari seems lost in electioneering ,he doesn't seem to know what to say or even when to talk.
Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by jaybee(f): 11:13am On Dec 26, 2014
DeeBoiyy:
this is laughable. Why not? Will that make him a better president?

Yes, it will make him a better president.

Any president that adheres to the rule of law will be a better president. The laws of Nigeria do not provide for the "office of the first lady". operating an illegal office of the first lady and appropriating public money for its running, directly or indirectly, is unlawful and unbecoming of a president. it makes that president lawless and bad president. e.g. president Jonathan. because president Jonathan is comfortable or even oblivious of the dangers of flagrantly flouting the laws of Nigeria, especially the provisions of the constitution, makes him a clueless and bad president setting bad precedents for his countrymen and women. When Buhari becomes president and cancels the illegal office of first lady, it will be the first step towards cancelling the numerous illegal structures that pdp has built for self-aggrandizement, ego massage, corruption and worse of all waste of the scarce national resources meant for actual human development. it will certainly make him a better president.

5 Likes

Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by mickkywatsnaira(m): 11:15am On Dec 26, 2014
I woun't be surprised to hear Buhari say he woun't take salary for the whole 4yrs,if elected next year. Buhari respect your old age.
Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by OrlandoOwoh(m): 11:17am On Dec 26, 2014
Abraham2013:

Bros no vex, assuming I want to see d wife of obama 4 mayb fund raising and NGO issues, were do u tink I would meet her?
Do you understand the meaning of "office" in this context?
Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by hansad: 11:17am On Dec 26, 2014
maasoap:
If your father sees your mother as a sex,tool, that's your mother's cross.
Buhari's wife never appeared in public all the time that Buhari was holding public offices, even as Head of State. Buhari has no respect for womanhood. Taliban fights Afghans., Taliban uses sharia laws that ordered that a woman must not appear in public unless guarded by a man. Taliban is more or less like Boko Haram. Extreme sharia laws is their guiding principles. Buhari urged Nigerian Muslims in 2001 to strive to make extreme sharia laws to be applied all over Nigeria. Buhari is thus not much different from Talliban leader, Mullah Omar. Buhari is insentitve to the multireligious nature of Nigeria. In Nigeria's history, Buhari is the only Head of State that chose a fellow Muslim as his deputy.

1 Like

Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by coolebux(m): 11:17am On Dec 26, 2014
donphilopus:

In case you don't know Buhari's wife, here's a picture. You think Mama Piss can stand her in a beauty pageant or an intellectual contest?!

Meanwhile, nice one at Buhari. At least we are assured that Osinbajo would do his job as our VP unlike Samboribobo whose official duty is performed by Mama Piss!

Sorry bro....
But know it today that Hausa women are just the dullest beings in this country
Considering how incompetent the wife of a semi litrate hubby can be, GMB declared "no office" for her.

GMB is so broke that he became too desperate to enter Aso rock with the help of B/H

Should he fail? bombing will take another dimension.

1 Like

Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by OrlandoOwoh(m): 11:19am On Dec 26, 2014
maestroferddi:
Oga, I don't have the time for cyclical arguments.

Let us see where Patience Jonathan ratified official documents and/or policies using an official seal.

Propaganda will hardly take you far...
I insist you check the meaning of a seal, you appear not to know it.
Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by maestroferddi: 11:30am On Dec 26, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:

I insist you check the meaning of a seal, you appear not to know it.
You are wasting my time.
Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by koikoi2(m): 11:30am On Dec 26, 2014
donphilopus:

In case you don't know Buhari's wife, here's a picture. You think Mama Piss can stand her in a beauty pageant or an intellectual contest?!

Meanwhile, nice one at Buhari. At least we are assured that Osinbajo would do his job as our VP unlike Samboribobo whose official duty is performed by Mama Piss!

Are u showing us d picture of his 13th wife?

Because d age difference is abt 50.
Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by Abraham2013(m): 11:31am On Dec 26, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:

I fully understand, now do u tink d 1st. Lady of america does not hav such office?
Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by maestroferddi: 11:33am On Dec 26, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:

I believe that I have given you a cogent explanation but it appears you are keen to keep embarrassing yourself...
Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by hman4real(m): 11:38am On Dec 26, 2014
Dbboy:
How would you have an office for the First Lady ?
You neither regard them as human being nor see them as your equals down here in the north that's why parent in the north donate there daughters as suicide bomber because they worth nothing to them,women should not have anything to do with this man because it would be 'back to the kitchen' for them. I guess under GEJ women are respected as seen in the USA but if the Nigeria women think the prefer role in the kitchen the are free to vote the opposition as for me I have nothing to loose but for the sake of empowerment, equality and equity,Women should vote GEJ cos he has empowered them.
We are in Nigeria not Saudi Arabia were women have no right but seen as sex tools.

the first lady will operate through other existing ministries. That's what he means in case you are too clouded to understand.
Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by Bwaal(m): 11:53am On Dec 26, 2014
Dbboy:
You neither regard them as human being nor see them as your equals down here in the north that's why parent in the north donate there daughters as suicide bomber because they worth nothing to them,women should not have anything to do with this man because it would be 'back to the kitchen' for them. I guess under GEJ women are respected as seen in the USA but if the Nigeria women think the prefer role in the kitchen the are free to vote the opposition as for me I have nothing to loose but for the sake of empowerment, equality and equity,Women should vote GEJ cos he has empowered them.
We are in Nigeria not Saudi Arabia were women have no right but seen as sex tools.

wat is diz 1 saying

ode??

1 Like

Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by mooremadu(m): 11:57am On Dec 26, 2014
How would u, wen u ve so many mistress, nd as a result ure confuse whch 1 to use as d first lady.... U won't evn win self so don't bother urself. Not until credible young folks come on bode. Compliment of d season

1 Like

Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by Nobody: 12:02pm On Dec 26, 2014
that's because you have many wives and you don't know which one to use as firstlady.
Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by Chigold101(m): 12:02pm On Dec 26, 2014
hogunzy:
he's not a fool like you oponu wayray akindanidani oloriburuku ur mother is one of his wives habi
lolzzz...

Experience has taught me that anytime we call people names we are indirectly introducing ourselves to them... Could it be that u r just a fool? Just wondering...though
Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by Jesusloveyou: 12:05pm On Dec 26, 2014
hansad:
but Buhari is a habitual liar. He never keeps his word/promise. In 1983, as Head of State, Buhari told Nigerian youths that they were leaders of tomorrow. But more than three decades after that, Buhari in his mid 70s is still fighting against those youths to lead Nigeria. After the last presidential election, Buhari publicly declared that he shall not contest again for president of Nigeria. Buhari told Nigerians that late Sani Abacha was not corrupt. Buhari lied that BOKO Haram people are freedom fighters. Do not beleve pronouncements that come from Buhari's mouth.
haba how much were u pay to sell ur destiny to ogogoro master.boko haram are fighting for justice-bamaga tukur,abacha is not corrupt-ibb.get ur facts,and stop ur hatred.
Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by LordEmperoris1(m): 12:11pm On Dec 26, 2014
Maybe he will have office of the BH headed by shekau and office of the fools headed by amaechi and okorocha
Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by HugeMac: 12:12pm On Dec 26, 2014
Bwaal:

wat is diz 1 saying

ode??
APC goons! You can't argue based on issues only Insults
Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by eyesofgod: 12:17pm On Dec 26, 2014
Excerpts from Nigeria’s brand of First Ladies

By Ishaya Ibrahim Snr. Daily independent.

Other than being the wife of then Vice President Goodluck Jonathan, very little was known about Dame Patience Jonathan.

However, when the tide quickly changed with the death of President Umaru Yar’Adua on May 5, 2010 and Jonathan became Nigeria’s 14th head of state the following day, a new Patience Jonathan was unveiled. From her seemingly apolitical nature, even on matters of local politics, the First Lady grew to become a very powerful figure in the country to the extent of rubbing shoulder with a state governor.

She is currently on collision course with Governor Chibuike Amaechi of Rivers State for allegedly daring to move against her husband’s re-election bid in 2015.

But amazingly, the office of First Lady in Nigeria has no legal backing, though it seems like an extension of the Presidency. Still wonder why Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, see the position Patience occupies as “domestic appendage”? Apart from official funding to it, the office is believed to control the funds of the Ministry of Women Affairs.

In February this year, an allocation of N4 billion to the office of First Lady for the building of ‘Mission House’, an initiative of Patience Jonathan, was proposed by the Presidency, a move many, including Betty Abah, a woman activist, kicked against. Abah said most of the first ladies that Nigeria has had over the years, either under military or democratic era, made more statements with their headgears and fashion sense than any impact on any life.

As a definition, the First Lady of the United States, abbreviated FLOTUS, is the hostess of the White House. For a president that has no wife, he could choose to appoint someone to serve in that capacity. In the U.S., the position is not an elected one, carries no official duties, and receives no salary.

The excesses

No one doubts the influence that goes with being a First Lady, especially the ability to sway the powers-that-be into action. But some of these First Ladies have used this influence to promote corruption. For instance, while as First Lady of Nigeria, Turai influenced the allocation of a plot of land at Cadastral Zone AOO, Central Business District, Abuja, for the use of her pet project, Women and Youth Empowerment Foundation (WAYEF). Shortly after the death of her husband, part of her losses was also that plot of land for WAYEF whose Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) the succeeding government revoked and re-allocated to Patience Jonathan for her First Ladies Peace Mission House.

Turai then approached an Abuja High Court, which came to her rescue. Ruling in the matter, Justice Peter Affen said the FCT Minister acted illegally by reallocating the land to Patience’s First Ladies Peace Mission. “The defendants failed woefully to adduce any shred of evidence before this court to support their claims that the allocation of the land was revoked on overriding public interest. There is no overriding public interest in this issue. The allocation made to the plaintiff, who is a vocational training centre, was in public interest and in line with Section 28 (1) of Land Use Act.”

During her time also as First Lady, especially when her husband was incapacitated, Turai was accused of denying then Vice President Jonathan access to his boss and frustrating the transfer of political power to him when he ought to have stepped-in as Acting President. Soyinka even called for her prosecution. “We have an example with the President of the nation being abused physically by a woman. He has been kidnapped by a woman under false imprisonment. If it were in a civilised society, this woman should be in court by now for kidnapping and false imprisonment. Far even worse than abusing her spouse, she is also abusing a nation, abusing and insulting the intelligence of a nation. Release him! Stop insulting and belittling his family. Even his mother was not allowed to see him. For me, this is sacrilege. Acute sacrilege! And I think we should begin criminal proceedings against Turai for kidnapping and false imprisonment of her husband,” Soyinka had said.

On her part, Patience has also made numerous wrong headlines, especially for causing traffic gridlocks with her heavy entourage whenever she is on tour to some states or attending a function. Just few days ago, the FCT was literally shut down because she was hosting some women at the Eagle Square to celebrate Women for Peace and Empowerment. On that day, most residents who left their homes for various parts of the city for different purposes had tough time reaching their destinations.

But that was not just the first time the First Lady’s movement or event had grounded a city. When it happened in Lagos, Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola had to protest. But even more curious about the Abuja event was that it took a political campaign slant, as the women openly sang solidarity songs for President Jonathan’s 2015 re-election bid, a move the newly-registered All Progressives Congress (APC) said violated the provision of the electoral law against early campaigns.

Patience has also been the subject of numerous editorials over her alleged excesses. The Guardian newspaper of June 23, 2013 carried one of such editorials titled: ‘First Lady on an illegal podium’. In the said editorial, the newspaper frowned at the way the First Lady conducts her public outings, using presidential seal as she pleases.

Part of the editorial reads: “Having decided to now conduct her public outings with an official podium of First Lady complete with the country’s coat of arms and national colours, it seems there is no limit to the odium Nigeria would endure in her hands. For the wife of the President, occupying a ceremonial office that is unknown to Nigeria’s constitution and laws, to use the coat of arms in the manner she does amounts to desecration of national symbols and disrespect to all Nigerians,” it said.

The newspaper also recalled how in February this year, Patience, surrounded by her friends and family members, first made an address on a customised podium adorned with the country’s official seal. According to the editorial, the practice appears to be her new fancy, disrespectful as it is of the country’s sovereignty and cherished ideals.

Another of her excesses was relayed by Tam David-West, Nigeria’s foremost professor of Virology. According to the former Minister of Petroleum, who narrated what happened to this reporter, he said the First Lady snatched a microphone in the hands of Governor Amaechi in public glare. “Amaechi was in Okrika in a public function. He was giving a speech, telling the community what he has done for them. If as a governor you are doing well, the community will be your witness. When he was talking and the audience was clapping, Mrs. Jonathan was in the audience. She left the audience and took the microphone from him. But Amaechi told everybody to calm down. A President’s wife, who is not recognised by the constitution! That’s the height of insult. Neither Jonathan nor his wife apologised to the governor or Rivers people. This cannot happen in the South West. It cannot happen anywhere in the North,” David-West said.

Patience Jonathan’s alleged beef with Governor Amaechi is believed to be responsible for the political crisis that has befallen Rivers for which she admitted that it started four years ago.

Scam pet projects

Through the exercise of their influence, First Ladies have been able to establish pet projects with funds raised from public institutions, corporate organisations and international donor agencies. Unfortunately, none of the First Ladies have accounted for the millions of naira they usually raise during the launch of such projects. Worse, there is no continuity for most of their programmes, which die at the end of their husband’s tenure.

One of such pet projects which didn’t survive was the International Cancer Centre (ICC), the brainchild of Turai Yar’Adua whose husband died in office in May 2010. The centre was conceived to be a state-of-the-art medical centre for research, diagnosis and treatment of cancer that has claimed the lives of thousands of Nigerians. Moneybags in the country were at the launch and, at the end of the day, more than N10 billion was pledged to the foundation by donors who wanted to protect their political and business interest in the administration of the late Yar’Adua.

Unfortunately, apart from reports that the centre donated N45 million worth of drugs to some selected hospitals in 2011, nothing has been heard of the pet project. Besides, nobody has given account on how the billions that reportedly accrued to the centre were spent.

Another First Lady who was also accused of leaving an empty treasury after her husband’s tenure was Maryam Babangida, wife of former military president, General Ibrahim Babangida. With her Better Life Programme (BLP) for rural women, millions were raked into the coffers of the organisation between 1985 and 1993. But her successor, Maryam Abacha, widow of the late head of state, General Sani Abacha, revealed in 1997 that she inherited an empty purse from the BLP when she stepped in as the country’s First Lady in 1993. “I was a member of the better life and I was very active member. Up to the time I stopped coming to Better Life, there was nothing like a blue print, and by the time I assumed office, there was no handing over note, no document, there was no money, nothing being handed over,” she said.

In 1994, the widow of Abacha dumped the BLP and commenced her own project known as the Family Support Programme (FSP). Like the BLP, the FSP has also gone into oblivion. This has been the practice of Nigeria’s First Ladies.

2 Likes

Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by Hilles(m): 12:18pm On Dec 26, 2014
Flets:
Is it not funny

What is Buhari's plan for the economy? What is he going to differently in the agricultural, power, automobile sectors that the current FG is not doing? How does he plan to fight corruption... probe Tinubu, Amaechi, Atiku etc? How does he plan to sanitize the corrupt judiciary? Those are the campaign points

The office of the first lady is not Nigeria's problem

God bless your reasoning!
Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by gnice545(m): 12:21pm On Dec 26, 2014
Its in d Sharia law. am not surprised.
Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by Ositawap: 12:29pm On Dec 26, 2014
Dbboy:

...I was jex wandering if yur sense da for fridge da chill..sense of d PDP...
Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by Nobody: 12:35pm On Dec 26, 2014
This shows that Buhari will be anti women if elected President.

As it is, Mr Buhari there is currently no office of First Lady. It is not recognised in law.

Now I agree that patience Jonathan oversteps her boundaries sometimes but this is no excuse to relegate the role of the wife of the president and the role of women at large.

Marian Babangida was a classical example of an ideal First Lady. If the First Lady can publicly restrict herself to philanthropy, family support initiatives and women support programs then what's wrong with that? The First Lady can also act privately as a good adviser to her husband the President.
Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by Calculux95: 12:39pm On Dec 26, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:

Senseless comment. Does the Constitution recognize the Office of the First Lady, that draws from the national treasury? Does the wife of Obama have an office?
Oh please, stop saying stuff you aren't sure of, go look in the east wing of the white house, smartass
Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by jameeel: 12:48pm On Dec 26, 2014
coolebux:
If GMB has enough money to marry a new and younger wife
He can never make this nasty comment
The old ones are still there

Anyways, he's right somehow
If he's not elected, no need for a first lady or even office.

#too_many_nyarinya.

Re: I Won't Have Office For First Lady- Buhari by OrlandoOwoh(m): 12:48pm On Dec 26, 2014
Calculux95:
Oh please, stop saying stuff you aren't sure of, go look in the east wing of the white house, smartass
The east wing has the offices of the US President's military aides.
By the First Lady's "office", I'm not refering to any physical structures.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

PDP Keeps Dribbling Me, 17 Years After Designing Its Umbrella Logo – Gbenga Amob / Precious Chikwendu Snowhite Her Son And Triplets Step Out In Style (Photos) / Endsars Protest In Benin City Today Friday.../10/2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.