Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,879 members, 7,821,068 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:47 AM

Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge (474 Views)

More Looters Will Be Jailed This Year; Nothing Wrong In Handcuffing Metuh – EFCC / Patience Ozokwor Before And After Collecting Her Share Of The 21 Billion Naira / Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by adaweezy(m): 1:55am On Dec 27, 2014
Let the truth be told and facts separated from mere beliefs

It saddens me anytime I read about the donation of 21billion naira for the re-election of President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan and the accompanying comments from Nigerians and particularly some OAU students who believe that the law has been violated. However, as a penultimate law student who is well grounded in the intricacies of law, I have deemed it fit to put an end to this campaign of calumny. Don't get me wrong, I am not a supporter of GEJ as I personally do not want him, I, on the other hand, do not expect those who have been clamouring for the highest office in the land to do so by deceiving Nigerians who may not have the arsenal of knowledge available at their disposal.
I, Olugbemi Olukayode, do make bold to say without any fear of reprisal that the donation of 21billion naira to either the PDP or GEJ's campaign is not a violation of the law. The Electoral Act, 2010 which is what still governs elections in Nigeria stipulates in Section 91 (1-7) that '91. -(1) Election expenses shall not exceed the sum stipulated in subsection (2) –
(7) of this section.
(2) The maximum election expenses to be incurred by a candidate at a Presidential election shall be one billion naira (N1,000,000,000).
(3) The maximum election expenses to be incurred by a candidate at a Governorship election shall be two hundred million naira (N200,000,000).
(4) The maximum amount of election expenses to be incurred in respect of Senatorial seat by a candidate at an election to the National Assembly shall be forty million naira (N40,000,000) while the seat for House of Representatives shall be twenty million naira (N20,000,000)
(5) In the case of State Assembly election, the maximum amount of election expenses to be incurred shall be ten million naira (N10,000,000).
(6) In the case of a chairmanship election to an Area Council, the maximum amount of election expresses to be incurred shall be ten million naira (N10,000,000).
(7) In the case of councillorship election to an Area Council, the maximum amount of election expenses to be incurred shall be one million naira (N1,000, 000). Hence, what amounts to a violation of the law is when the expenses incurred exceeds 1billion naira and not when they generate in excess. From a simple accounting knowledge, we know that there is a great difference between Income and Expenditure, hence, the APC should kindly not mislead the people. If you are to lead the nation, possibly in 2015, you should garner your votes through accurate dissemination of truthful information and not falsehood neither should they tell INEC to prosecute the PDP when it is clear that they haven't violated the law. Similarly, in section 93(4) of the same Act, the law stipulates that '4) Every political party sponsoring the election of a candidate shall, within three months after the announcement of the results of the election, file a report of the contributions made by individuals and entities to the Commission. 'Hence, the commission shall check if they have violated the law. Thus, in order not to promote falsehood, it is important that the APC wait till such report is submitted to INEC before raising unnecessary dust.

To our brothers and sisters who are supporting any political party, it is important that we disseminate only the right information at all times. To those who are clamouring for GMB, kindly make a choice between voting for him and the INEC ad-hoc job you all registered for. To those clamouring for GEJ, kindly do so in all civility and modesty.
In all, Nigeria belongs to all of us, let us treat it as a collective inheritance and not as a private business.
I still believe that if we start doing the right things now, Nigeria will be the world's most desirable nation to live in by 31st December, 2025.
God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria!
Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by pyyxxaro: 2:15am On Dec 27, 2014

(1) (Reply)

President Jonathan's New Year Gift - 2015 / I Will Destroy All Of You If You Dont Listen To Me - Whytte / Jonathan’s Scorecard’ll Give Him Victory’- Seriake Dickson

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.