Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,755 members, 7,820,621 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:23 PM

The Politics Of The Sea In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Politics Of The Sea In Nigeria (1512 Views)

BREAKING NEWS: Unidentified Helicopter Plunges Into Sea In Lagos / Nigerian Cook Survives Two Days Under Sea In Shipwreck Air Bubble / In Pictures: Smuggling Fuel By Sea In West Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Politics Of The Sea In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:56am On Dec 27, 2014
The politics of the sea in Nigeria

Part 1
The importance of access to the sea

Access to the sea in this modern era has so many advantages when it comes to facilitation of trade. It’s no coincidence that most modern cities have access to the sea. But, does access to the sea mean development Of course there is a correlation to access to the sea and development of cities and nations but some developed countries like Switzerland in Europe are landlocked. Botswana in Africa is also landlocked yet boasts of GDP per capita that is the envy of nations like Nigeria, Ghana, Ivory Coast and even Somalia which ironically has the longest coast in Africa yet the least developed. These examples do not negate the importance of access to the sea but it proves that true development ultimately lies in the hands of the people while geography is neutral and can be used as people see fit.

Part 2
The Sea vs Oil

If you pay attention to the Nigerian southern dominated media, you will easily fall into the trap of believing that the North cares a lot about oil. Is this true? Well I might be a minority in this when I say that, the north definitely cares about oil but not anywhere close to how much they care about sea access. This is why I believe that the North will remain in Nigeria even after oil runs out. So for those wishing that the oil runs out so that everybody can move on, this might be a bad news for you. If anything, Northerners will hold on to the idea of One Nigeria more than any other group. This is not a prophecy rather its basic human survival instincts kicking in.

Part 3
The landlocked South-East

A simple google map will tell you that the current geography of the south east has access to the sea. I have argued before, that even with the punitive map produced by the military after the war, the south east still has access to the sea through three routes
A) The River Niger which empties into the niger delta through multiple channels
B) The Imo river which empties through ogbaku, Abia state (border of abia and Akwa ibom)
C) The Ikwo river in ebony state which empties via the political border of Akwa Ibom and Cross river state
Even with all these routes, you still have port-Harcourt but it’s a sensitive addition so I will ignore that for now. So why is south east considered land locked? One possible answer is intimidation. It’s a lie that has worked well so far but doesn’t hold weight anymore.

Part 4
Case study of the city of Chongqing, China

China is a country that has all its major cities on the sea like Shenzhen, Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou. All these major cities are cities by the sea but guess what? They are not the biggest. The largest city/region in china is Chongqing. It reminds me so much of Onitsha. It is an inland city west of china and has the fastest growing gdp inside china. It is a river city just like onitsha with no direct access to the open sea yet is is the center of Chinese manufacturing and industrial strength. Nigeria as a whole has more cities by the river than by the sea but yet we have made ourselves thinks that inland cities cant develop without sea access. Onitsha will be the Chongqing of Nigeria when development of infrastructure matches the growing volume of trade and industry.

Part 5
What if Nigeria breaks up? Who gets landlocked and who doesn't?

The simple answer to the above question is NOBODY will be landlocked in Nigeria, including the north. The reason is because, the major inland rivers which are the Niger and the Benue will be treated as international waters. No nation under the laws of the UN can blockade an international route. It can be considered an act of war and sanctions can follow. River Niger or Benue doesn't start from Nigeria. Surrounding nations around Nigeria don't have the right to block the Niger river. Same rules will apply to the new nations. Trade and commerce will flow through the rivers and land just as much as the sea. But I doubt Nigeria will get there. Forget all the noise...

Please, Respectfully disagree with facts. No unnecessary insults needed.
Re: The Politics Of The Sea In Nigeria by benuejosh: 8:00am On Dec 27, 2014
PART 2. the northers can tab oil form any nearby Muslim country and with the high level of agricultural production in the north. northerners are little or not concerned about oil
Re: The Politics Of The Sea In Nigeria by holatin(m): 8:21am On Dec 27, 2014
what can I say but Weldone
Re: The Politics Of The Sea In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:14am On Dec 27, 2014
holatin:
what can I say but Weldone
thx
Re: The Politics Of The Sea In Nigeria by tobtap: 10:29am On Dec 27, 2014
nice write-up....but no south eastern state is on nigeria coaster borders...from my geography knowledge akwa ibom,cross river and rivers state are not south east,they are south south,so south-east states are actually land-locked...

2 Likes

Re: The Politics Of The Sea In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:37am On Dec 27, 2014
River Niger will never be granted that status, becos it ran across our territory. Remember Asaba is across the Niger and Biafrans will never cede their territorial waters to any entity or allow any unauthorized vessel to sail thereon. Northern vessels will sail through it at a reasonable fare.
Nigerian unity is their's to preserve.
Re: The Politics Of The Sea In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:40am On Dec 27, 2014
tobtap:
nice write-up....but no south eastern state is on nigeria coaster borders...from my geography knowledge akwa ibom,cross river and rivers state are not south east,they are south south,so south-east states are actually land-locked...
You are right, excluding PH, south East has 3 great rivers that emptied directly into Athlantic. So if u are thinking Biafran maritime industry will suffer, u are wrong.
Re: The Politics Of The Sea In Nigeria by tobtap: 11:05am On Dec 27, 2014
ferderick:

You are right, excluding PH, south East has 3 great rivers that emptied directly into Athlantic. So if u are thinking Biafran maritime industry will suffer, u are wrong.
well having three great rivers empty into the atlantic thru lands or cultures that are not igbos(cross river,akwa-ibom,rivers state) still emphasize my initial opinion that south east/biafra or whatever u call it is still LANDLOCKED.i never mentioned anytin bout biafra maritime industry.
peace

2 Likes

Re: The Politics Of The Sea In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:18pm On Dec 27, 2014
Yes, It is fact that all the rivers in the south east pass through other territories to empty to the sea BUT If south-east or Igbos decided to become its own nation,those rivers become international trade route. It automatically becomes a body of water shared by different nations and will be an act of war to block the trade route. If you hate the rules, lobby the UN to change it and I wish you luck with that mission.

2 Likes

Re: The Politics Of The Sea In Nigeria by Collynzo22: 4:06pm On Dec 27, 2014
tobtap:
Which geography? You geography teacher needs to be arrested.
Politically they are not in the south east, but geographically, Akwa Ibom and Cross river are even more South eastern than Imo.
Re: The Politics Of The Sea In Nigeria by BlackSEER(m): 5:49pm On Dec 27, 2014
it is only a foolish person that will say that south East is landlocked.This fallacy is mostly perpetrated by ndi ofenmanu to intimidate my people.Thank God that will are not lazy like them .only river Niger is enough to drive our economy when it is time to go our different ways.May God bless South East and her people.
Re: The Politics Of The Sea In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:05pm On Dec 27, 2014

1 Like

Re: The Politics Of The Sea In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:07pm On Dec 27, 2014
International rivers? Dream on. Only the portion of the river in your territory is yours.

(1) (Reply)

Presidential Polls: States That May Determine The Winner / SANUSI VS EMEFIELE: Nigeria’s Woes Deepen As Central Bank Missteps On Currency / Chief Of Army Staff Embarrassed At The Way The World Sees The Nigerian Military

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.