Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,826 members, 7,813,738 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:14 PM

Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! (5667 Views)

Calling All Djs And Event Organisers - Alto Powered Wifi Speakers For Hire / Tips For Djs / Dj Forum ---- Upcomin Djs, How To Mix, New Songs (bashment,rnb, Hiphop: ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by audio: 2:47pm On Mar 05, 2009
Na wah oh angry  In naija everything is payola. Thank God the air is still free or everyone will have suffocated to death by now.
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by rapjunkie(m): 3:22pm On Mar 05, 2009
demo47:

Yeh I heard that the up and coming artists are finding it difficult to get spins on the air, Typically if the song is good, it will get played, but in order to get decent amount of spins on the radio, I hear that the Djs are demanding money,
I guess if you look at it from the Dj's aspect, he has to eat too, but believe me if a song is an overwhelming hit, the Dj has no choice but to play the song as many times without asking for money,

So advice to the artists out there; create an overwhelming hit and you don't have to worry about paying the Dj OR create an Ok song and carry your cash as you deliver the song to the DJ,

The world is just not fair, this is the world we live in

Bamsyle:

We all know a song has to enjoy heavy rotation on air before it becomes a hit. Your song may remain a potential hit for life unless it gets massive public awareness.

I first heard 9ice's Gongo Aso on air in Oct 2007 or thereabouts. As good as the song is, it didn't become a hit until Jan or even Feb 2008. And by the time, it had been played so much ears were going deaf. These DJs/presenters are the bridge to ferry the songs to the listeners cos they create the awareness else your song's unknown. But they abuse their office. So what are we on?

audio:

While i understand that man must wack (including DJ's) there is also an issue of pride. Dj's all over the world take sweeteners. It's part and parcel of the job, but the difference is, they will still do their job. A Dj should feel proud to discover young talent and help break it to the mainstream.

Nigerians tend to be small minded. If a DJ builds a reputation of consistently discovering new acts, he can syndicate his show and possibly sell it or even use his reputation to enter TV (like Jatt).

Instead what tends to happen, is we have to listen to the crapiest, most repetitive records on the planet which have obviously been paid for. Rep your football team?? What the F*** is that S*** doing anywhere.

It good to know people can see through all this crap. The fact that we are having these dicussions shows that things WILL change. Let small minded people remain small minded.

A journey of 1000 miles starts with a step.
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by frijos(m): 3:24pm On Mar 05, 2009
I'm glad peeps are finally talking about it. We can actually change the situation if we make enough noise about it. If we bring it to the public for a debate. It's such a shame! what about for music videos? same story ain't it? but like pac' said that's just the way it is.
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by frijos(m): 3:25pm On Mar 05, 2009
thanks rapjunkie funny u were typing same time with me and same thing.
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by eccentric(m): 4:10pm On Mar 05, 2009
frijos:

I'm glad peeps are finally talking about it. We can actually change the situation if we make enough noise about it. If we bring it to the public for a debate. It's such a shame! what about for music videos? same story ain't it? but like pac' said that's just the way it is.
Exactly,now we are talking.I also personally think a Dj sinking so low to demand bribe shows that he has allowed poverty or hunger to deprive him of his dignity and self esteem.But come to think of it most of these guys are well paid.They just being needy and f--king greedy.This is the reason why we have to stay all day listening to wack songs that should never go on air.When an artiste is coming up they try to suppress the dude then when God lends a hand and provides a 'messiah' and the guy blows the bribed-Djs start to brag about how they 'made' him when they were paid for it. Please, angry
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by Caliente(m): 4:52pm On Mar 05, 2009
[size=13pt]More names please, don't be scared.[/size]
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by eccentric(m): 5:49pm On Mar 05, 2009
Caliente:

[size=13pt]Dude you scared to name a DJ? I know a presenter not a DJ though. He asked my younger brother to bring 20k so that he can play his song for one month. His name is Yo or whatever of wazobia fm.[/size]
The same 'Yo' guy demanded N50,000 to play a track for my friend's brother.And my pal's bros and his group played the song for me and it's a wow! But that is even the least.These boys sadly narrated their experience at Bond Fm when a buncha hungry presenters swarmed all over em and asked for all em to receive pay b4 playing their song.A ridiculous sum at that.And those boys are really good.Why are we suppressing real talent in this country?
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by pureminded: 7:05pm On Mar 05, 2009
FELLO BRODA'S LET'S BE SINCERE WITH OURSELF , This money is just a kind of gift and not bribe per se , This guys has a whole lot of tracks to play per day , so what your paying for is just for your song to be among the most played ones , that's all , if you want to do the legal thing , then go and drop your c.d at a radio station here in 9ja and tell them it's wrong for them to collect money , they will surely collect it from you (ahba why wont they ) but my broda if you hear anything that sounds like your track on radio , Maybe na your broda go record ontop cassete on tape and they play am to tease you, undecided, Guys wake up , Even dem established artistes still give this guys some tips , tip, tip ,tip , you cant escape it as an UP COMING artiste dont u understand the business? this is not yankee , this is Nigeria , Green White Green, (True Talk)

eccentric:

The same 'Yo' guy demanded N50,000 to play a track for my friend's brother.And my pal's bros and his group played the song for me and it's a wow! But that is even the least.These boys sadly narrated their experience at Bond Fm when a buncha hungry presenters swarmed all over em and asked for all em to receive pay b4 playing their song.A ridiculous sum at that.And those boys are really good.Why are we suppressing real talent in this country?

Ahaba ,that's too much nah , Yo wan turn your friend to a undecided 3-5k is ok for up coming acts and i bet , this guys know the tricks to force your stuff into nigerians mouth , (real promotion).

Artiste on here , I dont also support this but this is our own land (9ja) it has to be done, it's part of your sacrifice. Look for money and get your stuff pushed and at the end of the day your gon laugh when the gains starts popping in,
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by rapjunkie(m): 7:25pm On Mar 05, 2009
pureminded:

Artiste on here, I dont also support this but this is our own land (9ja) it has to be done, it's part of your sacrifice. Look for money and get your stuff pushed and at the end of the day your gon laugh when the gains starts popping in,

At the end of the day this guy dey talk true. I don't encourage it either but it has to be done. But D.J's should not hold people to ransome with extortionate requests. If its wack and you know you wont play it then DON'T take the money.!! Simple as! AND DON'T BE TOO GREEDY OR GOD WILL PUNISH YOU!! angry angry ( Think that worked? undecided wink smiley)
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by Bamsyle(m): 9:35am On Mar 06, 2009
pureminded:

FELLO BRODA'S LET'S BE SINCERE WITH OURSELF , This money is just a kind of gift and not bribe per se , This guys has a whole lot of tracks to play per day , so what your paying for is just for your song to be among the most played ones , that's all , if you want to do the legal thing , then go and drop your c.d at a radio station here in 9ja and tell them it's wrong for them to collect money , they will surely collect it from you (ahba why wont they ) but my broda if you hear anything that sounds like your track on radio , Maybe na your broda go record ontop cassete on tape and they play am to tease you, undecided, Guys wake up , Even dem established artistes still give this guys some tips , tip, tip ,tip , you cant escape it as an UP COMING artiste dont u understand the business? this is not yankee , this is Nigeria , Green White Green, (True Talk)

Ahaba ,that's too much nah , Yo wan turn your friend to a undecided 3-5k is ok for up coming acts and i bet , this guys know the tricks to force your stuff into nigerians mouth , (real promotion).

Artiste on here , I dont also support this but this is our own land (9ja) it has to be done, it's part of your sacrifice. Look for money and get your stuff pushed and at the end of the day your gon laugh when the gains starts popping in,

This is one of the reasons why, despite the so-called Anti-Graft War, Nigeria remains one of the most corrupt countries in the world . . .

This is one of 'em reasons I shake ma head in pity at Nigeria's stalwarts such as Gani Fawehinmi. Here is a successful lawyer who only needs to sit back, relax and enjoy his hard-earned money. But he keeps fighting for the masses. Which masses The same peops who'll turn their backs on you when you need 'em most The same peops who'll turn a deaf ear to his entreaties, pay N20 bribe to policemen and commit other acts that he is decrying The same peops that would then ask him "Who appointed you as our lawyer/defender"??

This country is not worth fighting for . . .

We're talking 'bout how it's high time some things changed for the better in the country and someone comes along to say "this is Naija, not Yankee; this is how it's done in Naija"?? How will things change

Why must DJs collect money at all to play a song? I just don't get it. If they've got so many songs to play, why can't they screen the darn songs and play only the best Must mediocrity and wackness be promoted at the expense of expertise?

We're here decrying a very shameful act . . . I ain't even a stakeholder so I got nutin to lose . . . whatever is bad has no other name . . . IT IS BAD.
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by chronique(m): 6:51pm On Apr 10, 2009
yeah.its true. even peeps like boombastic aint left out.teddy the fresh prince of star fm asked me for 20,000 a month to promote one of my acts.from a business point of view in 2007,i cudnt justify it.but thats how the sysytem is and wat option do we have?tell me.
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by Dotman01(m): 8:24am On Apr 11, 2009
@all d djs supporters, pls answer this; wats d d ifference btw a dj dat ask for bribe nd a typical nigerian police? Am waiting,
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by dasa: 11:53am On Apr 11, 2009
I LOVE THIS THREAD. FINALLY THIS ISSUE IS BEING TALKED ABOUT.

These hungry dj's and presenters are so annoying. i asked a dj why he demanded cash, he said when the artist is big they wont remember them. so they have to gain now.

different people have different reasons for taking cash. i think its wrong sha.

ADVICE TO ARTIST. if ur song is good, even if you pay at first, u wont keep paying as the dj's will come to love it and the crowd will demand it.

i am writing a short article on how to promo your music with beggging radio dj's. i will post it shortly.
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by dasa: 2:06pm On Apr 11, 2009
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by tosinaded(m): 2:07pm On Apr 11, 2009
this should make the front page
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by ElRazur: 3:45pm On Apr 11, 2009
Interesting thread. I have heard of this and in some way meet people who have experienced the "out of order demands" from potential artist.

Ideally, no one should be paying a DJ to have their record spin for air play period. Anyone who even tries to give a hint of justification clearly do not know what they are talking about. As with most things that is consumer derived and driven, it should be the forces of demand and supply having a say on what should be play - i.e the consumer should be the one who ultimately have the say directly or indirectly.

Having said that, most things tend to work upside down in Nigeria and there isn't a respect for the rule of law.

Another issue to consider is that most of this so called "Artist" [if they can be called one] are after the fame and money with little or no passion for the Music side of things. MOst want to do it for the Women and VIP treatment. This wont be a problem per se if the so called Artist have a fan base!

Most of them just hit the studio, without first considering they are even talented - aint no wonder over half of our so called artist are gargabe - no offence. Perhaps focus and emphasis should be laid in cultivating and honing their skills [if they have any] and then building their fan base at the same time.

Just because a couple of close friend tell you that you can rap or sing, do not mean you are talented. Even, if you are, it do not mean people will buy your style - Canibus [rapper] is a good example. He is good, but his rap style is a niche.

The point I am making is that, if someone is good and have massive fan base behind them, then it is guaranteed that DJ are less likely to demand money to play their joint. To break it down in a simple way - If I have a massive fan base BEFORE releasing any major album. fan will be eager and willing to hear me. DJ would have heard about me etc. I am sure you guys can see how this can be a major advantage?

To go back on topic. I personally believe it is wrong to demand money from artist. If things are equal, DJ shouldnt even take that "gift" if it was offered by a coming up artist. Period.
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by audio: 10:48pm On Apr 12, 2009
ElRazur:

Interesting thread. I have heard of this and in some way meet people who have experienced the "out of order demands" from potential artist.

Ideally, no one should be paying a DJ to have their record spin for air play period. Anyone who even tries to give a hint of justification clearly do not know what they are talking about. As with most things that is consumer derived and driven, it should be the forces of demand and supply having a say on what should be play - i.e the consumer should be the one who ultimately have the say directly or indirectly.

Having said that, most things tend to work upside down in Nigeria and there isn't a respect for the rule of law.

Another issue to consider is that most of this so called "Artist" [if they can be called one] are after the fame and money with little or no passion for the Music side of things. MOst want to do it for the Women and VIP treatment.  This wont be a problem per se if the so called Artist have a fan base!

Most of them just hit the studio, without first considering they are even talented - aint no wonder over half of our so called artist are gargabe - no offence. Perhaps focus and emphasis should be laid in cultivating and honing their skills [if they have any] and then building their fan base at the same time.

Just because a couple of close friend tell you that you can rap or sing, do not mean you are talented. Even, if you are, it do not mean people will buy your style - Canibus [rapper] is a good example. He is good, but his rap style is a niche.

The point I am making is that, if someone is good and have massive fan base behind them, then it is guaranteed that DJ are less likely to demand money to play their joint. To break it down in a simple way - If I have a massive fan base BEFORE releasing any major album. fan will be eager and willing to hear me. DJ would have heard about me etc. I am sure you guys can see how this can be a major advantage?

To go back on topic. I personally believe it is wrong to demand money from artist. If things are equal, DJ shouldnt even take that "gift" if it was offered by a coming up artist. Period.

Very well written. I agree totally. Most artists out at the moment have no talent whatsoever.  If i hear another Terry B or K Solo sounding beat with lyrics that make absolutely no sense, i'm going to go mad. It's like a factory. Originality is totally dead.

The DJ's shouldn't be demanding money obviously, but people are now trying to learn how to be DJ's so that they can demand bribes. They see it as a way to get rich. Nigeria is steeped in corruption from head to toe. Nothing is exempt
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by TOYOSI20(f): 10:49pm On Apr 12, 2009
tosinaded@:

this should make the front page

I sooooooo agree. . . .sounds like news to moi!! shocked shocked
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by ElRazur: 9:00am On Apr 13, 2009
Bamsyle:

This is one of the reasons why, despite the so-called Anti-Graft War, Nigeria remains one of the most corrupt countries in the world . . .

This is one of 'em reasons I shake ma head in pity at Nigeria's stalwarts such as Gani Fawehinmi. Here is a successful lawyer who only needs to sit back, relax and enjoy his hard-earned money. But he keeps fighting for the masses. Which masses The same peops who'll turn their backs on you when you need 'em most The same peops who'll turn a deaf ear to his entreaties, pay N20 bribe to policemen and commit other acts that he is decrying The same peops that would then ask him "Who appointed you as our lawyer/defender"??

This country is not worth fighting for . . .

We're talking 'bout how it's high time some things changed for the better in the country and someone comes along to say "this is Naija, not Yankee; this is how it's done in Naija"?? How will things change

Why must DJs collect money at all to play a song? I just don't get it. If they've got so many songs to play, why can't they screen the darn songs and play only the best Must mediocrity and wackness be promoted at the expense of expertise?

We're here decrying a very shameful act . . . I ain't even a stakeholder so I got nutin to lose . . . whatever is bad has no other name . . . IT IS BAD.

I have noticed that a lot around here. It is a stupid mentality am afraid. People have no desire what so ever to make change. I said it before and I am saying it again. If America is like Nigeria, Obama will never become president. Period.

I really do not see how justification can be given to something totally wrong and illegal. But like I said in my post, "as with everything in Nigeria, things work upside down and there isn't a respect for rule of law"

One sliver lining in all of this is that, most of us are getting fed up and I believe we wont carry on "sitting down and adapting" to all these morally wrong and illegal ways any more.

I suppose a way one can make change is to get a licence for a radio/tv station and just lead by example and play what people really want. Ask people to bring in their tracks and it would be screened to see if it is worth playing on the air.

A station in the UK - Channel U - does this and it's been a major success. It had more views between the age of 13-22 than MTV. I have a feeling a similar channel U concept will work in naija. smiley
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by eleshin(m): 2:37pm On Apr 13, 2009
if ur song is wack,you dont have any option than to pay dj for airplay,but if you have a tight joint djs will turn ur song 2 anoda nationa anthem.then when talkin abt dj collectin bribe pls leave humility out of it.
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by Bamsyle(m): 2:48pm On Apr 13, 2009
Forget story . . .

From what I've gathered, if you have a dope track and you don't pay 'em DJs for airplay, you're on a long journey . . . your song might eventually be noticed . . . but it'll take donkey years . . .

You think 9ice just started making hit tracks

I wish you could read my lips . . . DJ Humility collects bribes, tips or whatever you choose to call it . . . believe me I say this cos I got it from countless reliable sources . . . I got nutin to gain from any smear campaign . . . he does it in a coded manner.
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by seemama: 2:51pm On Apr 13, 2009
wheather ur song nis hot nor not in naija,most djs collect money before they play it,if ur song it hot they will be jamming it more,most djs only collect money when a song got potenital but some collect money form anyone that coughs,some djs dont collect any more but wont mind if u give dem, for ur song to be in some radio chart even in tv charts u go drop money or else u will wait till it goes in there but artist wanna instant promotion of their work so they have to drop money,radio djs collect from 20k and above and tv people collect 50k and above,i dont blame some djs that collect money from artist cuz these get big headed when they blow and forget the djs,the easiest way to blow in naija if ur song is hot is alaba mix,if u song gets into the street from alaba mix then u re done,the djs will get the song and start jamming it for free.anybody that wants alaba contact can contact me,
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by asha80(m): 3:03pm On Apr 13, 2009
wheather ur song nis hot nor not in naija,most djs collect money before they play it,if ur song it hot they will be jamming it more,most djs only collect money when a song got potenital but some collect money form anyone that coughs,some djs dont collect any more but wont mind if u give dem, for ur song to be in some radio chart even in tv charts u go drop money or else u will wait till it goes in there but artist wanna instant promotion of their work so they have to drop money,radio djs collect from 20k and above and tv people collect 50k and above,i dont blame some djs that collect money from artist cuz these get big headed when they blow and forget the djs,the easiest way to blow in naija if ur song is hot is alaba mix[b],if u song gets into the street from alaba mix then u re done,the djs will get the song and start jamming it for free.anybody that wants alaba contact can contact me, [/b]

I like the way u advertise urself wink
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by seemama: 3:12pm On Apr 13, 2009
nah am not advertising myself cuz am not in alaba but i can help someone whose song is hot to get his song on there if they dont have the contact to do,then giving thses hungry djs money
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by asha80(m): 3:16pm On Apr 13, 2009
nah am not advertising myself cuz am not in alaba but i can help someone whose song is hot to get his song on there if they dont have the contact to do,then giving thses hungry djs money

grin grin grin
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by cabali(m): 3:44pm On Apr 13, 2009
The thing is, there isnt a cut rule for these things. Look at it this way:

The entertainment world isnt that easy to fair in at all. The competition is tight and so people mostly new to music will have to pay a price. You will not have these DJs asking D'banj for money to play his songs and you know why? Cos he is a brand already, he has listening fans and that is what these radio stations want.

If you are new, they are not obligated to play your song at all. There is no media law saying they should play your song. If you get popularity just when you start, these DJs will be looking out for ur albums to blast cos they know u r popular and already have a listening fan base.

If u are not able to get that popularity, then by all means u must sacrifice. Especially when your music isnt all that. Now if u take ur music to them for airplay, u are asking for them to slot ur sound unto their schedule and for this I must say u have to be ready to show appreciation. I do not support it when there is a cut throat price on it though but dont expect it to be free.

In established listening media, it is even worse. The Radio jockeys get payment and you dont even get to here ur sh!t on air. what would u say to that?

If u are not ready to make such sacrifice to get popular then there is another way.

U could go to venues of shows and raves to ask for a chance to perform, if they allow u (most times u wont get paid) do ur best and prolly in a while people will get to like ur sh!t, then, these DJs will get calls to them asking for ur song to be played. Thats another way.

But if u say the whole thing should stop and they should play every song that come to the studio then u are dreaming cos it's been like that before these DJs u mention were born!!
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by pheesayor(m): 4:13pm On Apr 13, 2009
It seems YO is the most guilty of them all though he's not a dj. A not-too-established comedian named CY told me how people usually wait for YO of wazobia fm at Chocolate Royale, that's where he transacts business.

For those who justify this injustice, arent these djs paid by their employers? and perhaps isnt it supposed to be the other way round?
The only way out of this is a LAW prohibiting it and another one protecting the artistes cos all of 'em (DJs and presenters) have lost their conscience.

And for dbanj and other already-established artistes, they pay every time they visit radio stations, ask them.
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by seemama: 4:39pm On Apr 13, 2009
everybody dey drop money ohh or else the djs wont promote ur new work,most djs are boycotting tuface new album
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by asha80(m): 4:47pm On Apr 13, 2009
everybody dey drop money ohh or else the djs wont promote ur new work,most djs are boycotting tuface new album

Is this true shocked.Why now
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by GeorgeD1(m): 4:49pm On Apr 13, 2009
In most other sane climes, artistes get paid for playing their songs on air irrespective
of whether they are 'popular' or not. Here in this country, the reverse is the case.
Na wao, naija!
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by lordkrato(m): 4:59pm On Apr 13, 2009
well, its typically nigerian,You want fame, u gotta pay!!! ; cheesy grin but seriously, a good product sells itself, it's just greed on both sides wink wink wink
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by adebaxton(m): 5:30pm On Apr 13, 2009
DJ walex nko?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

INSTRUMENTAL: Falz – Soft Work (prod. Merlibrownbeatz) / What Are The Most Played Songs On Your Phone? Here Are Mine / Camp Mulla Ft. Wizkid – Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.