Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,848 members, 7,813,874 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:21 PM

Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! (5668 Views)

Calling All Djs And Event Organisers - Alto Powered Wifi Speakers For Hire / Tips For Djs / Dj Forum ---- Upcomin Djs, How To Mix, New Songs (bashment,rnb, Hiphop: ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by eleshin(m): 5:50pm On Apr 13, 2009
Bamsyle:

Forget story . . .

From what I've gathered, if you have a dope track and you don't pay 'em DJs for airplay, you're on a long journey . . . your song might eventually be noticed . . . but it'll take donkey years . . .

You think 9ice just started making hit tracks

I wish you could read my lips . . . DJ Humility collects bribes, tips or whatever you choose to call it . . . believe me I say this cos I got it from countless reliable sources . . . I got nutin to gain from any smear campaign . . . he does it in a coded manner.
who are your reliable source,i'm sure you dont know humility in person ,you only rely on information from ur supposed reliable source who may be an upcoming act.i know him very well and he had in countless times help so many upcoming act that have good stuff.i was with him one day when an established musician that i will like not mention his name called him and requested for his help on his single,he instructed one of his boy to play the song immediately.we should not talk out of ignrance or commit the fallacy of generalization.nobody is disclaiming the fact that djs use to collect egunje from artists especially the upcoming ones,but by generalising,it means all radio djs are irresponsible which we all know its not true.i know so many radio dj in nigeria but i can only vouch for dj humility and midas both of rhythm 93.5 fm.
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by compressor(m): 7:22pm On Apr 13, 2009
Ppl do not forget that these budding DJ's learnt from their predecessors Kenny Ogungbe and Dayo Adeneye "D-one.Back in the days they demanded all sorts of money from young Artists as to play their songs.Its a shame but Its the green white green syndrome.
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by darne(m): 8:01pm On Apr 13, 2009
adebaxton:

DJ walex nko?

He`s a Fucking thief, i am from agege and i have alot of friends singing in agege mostlly from the haliyah recordz b`cos the owner is a good friend of dj walex, the owner of the studio is one Zee world, and he linked clever jay to dj walex and he starts managing the boy b`cos he`s got no money and they did everything on %basis,  and many of my friends are usually doing their music with haliyah records and if you want your music to be played you must pay Dj walex upto 20,000 naira and you must send him Recharge cards for eachtime he demands for it, i started hating him since the time i get to know he`s a thief, I think ppls like this should be ARRESTED for bad habits  cool,  well they all have bad yoruba Blood running in them grin
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by carloshome(m): 8:08pm On Apr 13, 2009
our dj's has lost their dignity and fame
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by Bamsyle(m): 8:10pm On Apr 13, 2009
eleshin:

who are your reliable source,i'm sure you dont know humility in person ,you only rely on information from ur supposed reliable source who may be an upcoming act.i know him very well and he had in countless times help so many upcoming act that have good stuff.i was with him one day when an established musician that i will like not mention his name called him and requested for his help on his single,he instructed one of his boy to play the song immediately.we should not talk out of ignrance or commit the fallacy of generalization.nobody is disclaiming the fact that djs use to collect egunje from artists especially the upcoming ones,but by generalising,it means all radio djs are irresponsible which we all know its not true.i know so many radio dj in nigeria but i can only vouch for dj humility and midas both of rhythm 93.5 fm.

You want me to post the names of my reliable sources . . . alright, wait . . . I'll post them tomorrow . . .  grin

Now, seriously I understand what you mean but I have my facts on these dudes . . . and I've met Humility many times at several functions in and out of Nigeria . . . I like him but letz not be sentimental on this issue . . . remember I said his style is coded . . . he doesn't do it in the open . . . so forget what you said about the established act . . . plus, do you even know what the guy paid to become established??

I can also vouch for some . . . at least I'm yet to hear any -ve stories about some on this issue . . . when talking about a DJ promoting upcoming acts, Jimmy Jatt's name can be mentioned . . . I've heard a lot of good stories about him.

Are you even sure I don't know Humility & Midas more than you do?? Cos the ones I know work with Rhythm 93.7 FM . . . I don't know about the ones in 93.5  smiley
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by eleshin(m): 8:21pm On Apr 13, 2009
rhythm 93.75,we have some other rhythm get the drift.i will be waitin for ur source.you may know humility more than i do i'm not interested in that but all i know is that he wud never stoop so low to collect egunje from upcomin acts just to play their music.
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by Bamsyle(m): 9:17pm On Apr 13, 2009
Aiight chap . . . Humility is too humble to do that . . . grin

It's all good . . . take care wink
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by cabali(m): 10:59pm On Apr 13, 2009
eleshin:

rhythm 93.75,we have some other rhythm get the drift.i will be waitin for ur source.you may know humility more than i do i'm not interested in that but all i know is that he wud never stoop so low to collect egunje from upcomin acts just to play their music.

Can u swear on both your balls that DJ humility has never collected bribe for airplay?? can u??
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by Remii(m): 2:32am On Apr 14, 2009
So no aspect of Nigeria is free of corruption, why then blaming the politicians embarassed lipsrsealed angry grin smiley smiley smiley
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by tallnaijaf: 6:40am On Apr 14, 2009
I am very surprise that people don't believe that Djs accept money for song to be played on air.
It is called PAYOLA
Its part an parcel of the music industry worldwide.
Do you believe that Beyonce became a star on talent only?
For ANY artist song to be played on Air, the djs have to be paid,
you will have instances where you can "Bad up" and threatened them to play your music,
but that only happens when you have got muscle behind you.

Even the established artist pay their "dues"
and some will go as far as to get the djs in their camp
and "suffocate" their rival music. Thats how the game is played.

I am sure you have heard Djs commenting on their "favourite Artist"
If there is popular Dj, then he is taking bribes.
Watch out for the ones who can get the quick interviews and seem to ALways get the latest release from the artist.
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by Nobody: 8:52am On Apr 14, 2009
From the unconfirmed information gathered here, we should now be on the look out for Djs and presenters like:

1. Yo of wazobia fm

2. Dr Flavour fm

3. DJ Charlie Shee of eko fm

4. DJ XL, of eko fm

5. DJ Scott of eko fm

6. DJ Walex of star fm

7. DJ Tommy of rhythm fm

8. DJ Larry of metro fm
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by cabali(m): 12:19pm On Apr 14, 2009
Please it happens every where not just in nigeria and it cannot be stopped. If U cant play on it, I advice u get popularity from another means and then the same DJs will buy ur album off the streets to get it played.

Otherwise go and pay; U think being heard on air is cheap?
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by Motee(f): 12:50pm On Apr 14, 2009
I think all these should be a matter of time.  A friend was with us few weeks back and i could remember that he said he had to pay N15,000 to the DJ to play his music for few times.  The DJ's reason was that when the music becomes popular and everyone start buying, the singer will not come back to settle them at least for putting the music on air.
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by GeorgeD1(m): 12:53pm On Apr 14, 2009
cabali:

Please it happens every where not just in nigeria and it cannot be stopped. If U cant play on it, I advice u get popularity from another means and then the same DJs will buy ur album off the streets to get it played.

Otherwise go and pay; U think being heard on air is cheap?

No, it doesn't happen everywhere as you seem to think. Only in corruption ridden societies like naija.
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by audio: 1:49pm On Apr 14, 2009
@ topic. the Nigerian music industry is an emerging market, but already, it's being steeped in corruption like everything else. Is nothing exempt? In developed nations, the radio stations pay the artist to play their records, because they use the playlists to sell advertising, which in turn pays the DJ's salary. Lets not forget, the radio stations do pay these DJ's. They are not doing it for free.
We as Nigerians need a major shift in thinking. We condone corruption, even justify it, so it continues from generation to generation.

A Dj is their to entertain his listeners with the latest and hottest jams. If you do this consistently, believe me, the money will come. If people know and recognize that you play tracks on merit, not payola, people will listen to your show for exclusive [b]GOOD[/b]music.
The problem in Nigeria is, nobody wants to build up a reputation and make money. Everybody wants the money right now, so they can floss immediately.
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by GeorgeD1(m): 2:38pm On Apr 14, 2009
@audio,
well spoken.
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by frijos(m): 3:12pm On Apr 14, 2009
enu o se durella we need actions somebody shud come up with something we can do about this. I suggest there be a protest i mean up-coming artistes shud rally up and protest and let it be broadcasted! that way it becomes a national concern. what do u guys think? anyone with useful ideas?
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by seemama: 3:28pm On Apr 14, 2009
abeg i dont think dat dj xl of eko fm dey collect money ohh,the guy is a cool guy,
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by iniguy(m): 5:31pm On Apr 14, 2009
its a pity & shame dat djs still collect money 4rm artists b4 playing their songs. a hit will be a hit whether d dj demands money 4rm u or not! unfortunately most of these artists sing crap.
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by seemama: 5:55pm On Apr 14, 2009
a hit is not a hit,no song is ahit ohh,a song can be a potential hit when done in the studio and with proper promotion it will end up being a hit,and this proper promotion includes radio djs, video and alaba mix which is the highest way to promote a song in naija for now,let me make this point know,we re talking about djs dat ask for money openly,there re djs that take money if u give them but they will never ask u,if u dont give dem then u wont get much airplays,so dat is why they re given money by artist and labels to play it as much as possible,even on tv sef,if anybody here dey watch ait or nigezie then u can notice how many times they play yori yori by brackets,it is not for free ohhhh,cuz na person dey opreate am there and dat person dey chop garri.for a dj to play ur song 2 times in a day then umust have motivated and moblised him with something or maybe ur song is a hit already,sometimes i dont blame some djs cuz these artist get bigheaed when they blow and forget the djs, but some djs have made it a big biznezz which is very bad for the industry,
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by GeorgeD1(m): 6:32pm On Apr 14, 2009
They are being paid salaries. that should be enough for them.
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by chronique(m): 6:11pm On Apr 16, 2009
for allm those who would like to promote their songs on the international level,submit demos and beats to international record labels and A+R companies,sell songs,beats to international acts,you can holla at us.we've got links to the biggest labels, A+R COMPANIES and top international djs.holla us on 08064256929.dont waste that talent u've got.
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by GeorgeD1(m): 9:34pm On Apr 16, 2009
Are you going to collect egunje too? grin
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by jaguda(m): 1:33pm On Apr 17, 2009
How do we helpPCOMING ARTISTES? can we set up an entertainment site and ask them to upload their songs. I think this will help.

@ Cabali, did any DJ ask u for a dime during ur time? u know i know u well well for Geology, Unical (Jimmy Jatt show - 1995-6)

let us look for a you tube type site to assist these artistes so that they can be established here to call the bluff of these shameless DJs.
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by chronique(m): 4:40pm On Apr 17, 2009
well we wont collect egunje but there must be some kinda commitment in form a reg fee,no matter how small.if u push something so big without nigerian artistes commiting themselves,you just end up wasting ur money.we av done it for some acts and its still hunting us.we 're suppose to do something with a d.j in the us and a naija act but we cant find the artiste.its simple ,he doesnt have a commitment and as such,he would not lose anything.we on our own part will lose our money spent in pushing this deal and also lose our credibility.thats not our vision.we want to work with people who will know the value of gold.
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by GeorgeD1(m): 5:03pm On Apr 17, 2009
reg fee? grin are you not going the same way with the 'corrupt' djs that we are crying about now?
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by chronique(m): 5:23pm On Apr 17, 2009
no.its a minimal fee.its the only way they can be committed. we have done it for free in the past and we know what damage it has done to us.we dont need the crowd.just a few serious minded acts will be ok.our major source of income will be percentages on whatever deal we get them.
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by Utali(m): 7:44pm On Apr 17, 2009
It is pitifull
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by GeorgeD1(m): 2:52pm On Apr 18, 2009
chronique:

no.its a minimal fee.its the only way they can be committed. we have done it for free in the past and we know what damage it has done to us.we dont need the crowd.just a few serious minded acts will be ok.our major source of income will be percentages on whatever deal we get them.

well, if the reg fee is really 'small' as you say, can you state it here so that anyone interested
will know beforehand? surely that is not too much to ask?
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by seemama: 3:34pm On Apr 18, 2009
chronique:

for allm those who would like to promote their songs on the international level,submit demos and beats to international record labels and A+R companies,sell songs,beats to international acts,you can holla at us.we've got links to the biggest labels, A+R COMPANIES and top international djs.holla us on 08064256929.dont waste that talent u've got.

plz which international djs re u talking about and where are they based,can we know their names,i know almost all the djs out there so bro,which djs are those ones,how popular are dem?
Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by djxl(m): 11:14pm On Nov 28, 2010
It's a pity I'm just seeing this after so long but since my I'm being accused of a crime i'll comment all the same.

@Bamsyle and @nuzo

First things first, get your facts right. There's a difference between airplay and promotion/hype. I'm of the opinion that if an artiste doesn't sing songs a dj has nothing to play so i do not charge ANY artiste to play their songs. If it's tight, i play it, if it isn't i don't care how much money is involved I WILL NOT TOUCH IT, i am not hungry and i owe my listeners that much. It is the reason why i can look ANY artiste in Nigeria today in the face and tell them exactly how i feel about their songs cos my integrity is intact. I run a promotion outfit and YES I CHARGE ARTISTE FOR PROMOTIONS AND HYPE because i am providing a service for them. It's amazing how an artiste will give you a wack song then go around saying you asked for money simply cos you turned him down cos the song was wack.

I will not deny that lots of people on radio charge for airplay but I AM NOT ONE OF THEM and can only speak for myself, on my facebook page and on twitter i constantly put it on my profile and say it on air a lot that if there is ANY artist that has a song they think is tight they should send it to me n if it is tight i will play it.

I know how many artistes i have given their first radio break in this way and i haven't even met some of them. I'm lucky to be where I am, I see it as a gift and try to help others where i can so what exactly are you saying here?

Bamsyle i do not know you but I DARE YOU to name ONE artiste that said i charged him/her to play their songs. It's easy for anyone to be a cyber gangster, so i'm not surprised at you calling me a tout and a miscreant but guess what? It doesn't change the fact that you or your friend probably brought me a wack song and i turned it down that's why you are pissed, get a life!

PS: I've said my piece, you can say whatever you like I won't reply, this "miscreant" has better things to do like helping deserving artistes.
Deuces!!!

1 Like

Re: Naija Djs And Their Shameful Demands For Bribes! by shawdon(m): 12:38am On Nov 29, 2010
@djxl cool down, you are already calling names and throwing bottles. If you want to make your point, do it like a gentle man, and don't spoil things with name calling, una too dey quick dey vess for this country self, ah ah

just like you, I am also seeing this for the first time, too bad, Its very common in NIGERIA, whenever you have an opportunity to help another person, you make the the person to pay a price, even if its what you can do freely, that nigerian egunje spirit will demand for something in other for you to get that thing done for the person, there was a time someone posted here on NL that Yinka Yeancah of SOUND CITY, and I mean YEANCAH of Sound City collects 100 dollars for a song to be played on top ten nigeria, no wonder she always plays craps, that was then, you can imagine the amount she will be collecting now, when i say then, she was slim, but now she don chop egunje tire, she don fat pass person wey get Sound City.

Yet, we complain that our leaders are effing up,

may God help this country

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Are The Most Played Songs On Your Phone? Here Are Mine / Camp Mulla Ft. Wizkid – Prices / Another ElRazur Beat [part 4] **Free Download**

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.