Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,350 members, 7,822,659 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:37 PM

CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! (4912 Views)

The Jigawa State Spokesman Says Oil In Bayalsa Belongs To Jegawa State..video / CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country / Labaran Maku Says Oil Cabals Are Not Doing Anything Illegal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by GoldCircle: 12:46pm On Dec 12, 2008
PORT HARCOURT, Nigeria (CNN) -- Trash litters its cities. Electricity is sporadic at best. There is no clean water. Medical and educational services are limited. Basic infrastructure is severely lacking.

"Planet in Peril" met in a secret location with members of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta. 

These are not conditions that should plague one of the richest oil states in the world. Hundreds of billions of dollars has been made from the Niger Delta's oil reserves and many people have gotten very rich. Conversely, the average Nigerian has suffered as a result of the country's oil prosperity. The United States Agency for International Development says more than 70 percent of the country lives on less than a dollar a day -- the population is among the 20 poorest in the world.

Oil companies are only part of the equation. The other is the Nigerian government. Transparency International, a global organization intent on stamping out corruption, has consistently rated Nigeria's government one of the most corrupt in the world.

Nigeria's federal government and oil companies split oil profits roughly 60-40. The money is then supposed to make its way down to the local governments to fund various projects. Somehow, little money actually reaches its intended destination. Nigeria's own corruption agency estimates between $300 billion to $400 billion has been stolen or wasted over the last 50 years.  Lisa Ling travels to secret location to meet notorious Nigerian militant group »

Gov. Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers state, one of the largest oil producers of Nigeria's 36 states, acknowledges past problems with corruption, but thinks progress is being made.

"There's a lot of improvement," Amaechi said. "The work being done by the corruption agency and the federal government has somehow been able to control the level of corruption in government."CNN's award-winning "Planet in Peril" series returns with a worldwide investigation. Anderson Cooper, Dr. Sanjay Gupta and Lisa Ling take you to the frontlines of the battle over our natural resources.

Over the last few years, a culture of militancy and violence has arisen in the absence of jobs and services. Kidnappings for ransom, robberies and even murder happen with regularity.

The biggest and most powerful armed group is the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta, or MEND. They say they are at war against the Nigerian military and the oil companies operating there.

MEND, formed in 2005, said it has more than 30 camps throughout Nigeria. Members are armed with high-tech weaponry they said was obtained from "foreign sources." Hundreds of people have been killed on both sides and countless oil workers have been kidnapped.Over the years, MEND's attacks on oil pipelines have halted oil production and, therefore, raised the price of oil around the world. They demand oil profits be distributed to average Nigerians of the Niger Delta and said they will not stop their attacks until their objectives have been fulfilled.  See environmental battle lines for "Planet in Peril" »

The battle is over oil -- one of the world's most valuable resources. But to most Nigerians -- oil is a curse.

It has provoked an environmental disaster of monstrous proportions. Since the 1970s, the United Nations estimates there have been more than 6,000 oil spills in the Niger Delta -- that is equal to more than 10 times the amount spilled from the Exxon Valdez in 1989. Yet, there is no international outcry and rarely are the spills reported, even to most Nigerians. They are still happening and the consequences are nothing short of devastating.

Communities along the Niger Delta have lived off subsistence fishing and agriculture for decades. Collecting food becomes impossible when a spill happens, like one that occurred in August. The waterways and mangroves are blanketed in thick brown oil sludge that goes on for miles. Toxicity overpowers the air and a sense of lifelessness pervades the landscape. Many say it will take 10-15 years for the area to be free of contamination -- if the cleanup effort commences in a timely manner.

The August spill was a result of a leak from an old pipeline that had corroded. It took the oil company three months to clamp the leak, but the company said it wasn't reported for a full month after it began. Once the leak was reported, the company said it was denied access to the site by the community. Leaders of the village deny that, and the finger-pointing between the two sides is nothing new -- there is no love lost here.

Who is telling the truth? Who knows? Either way, the creeks are blackened. This is life in the Niger Delta.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/africa/12/11/pip.nigeria.oil/index.html?eref=rss_world
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by GoldCircle: 12:50pm On Dec 12, 2008
whats your position on this? As for me, "na dem sabi"! They can publish whatever they like. I don't give a hoot anymore! Time was when I cried over articles and special features like these. I have developed a tough skin for "stunts' like these over time!

I repeat na dem get their mouth!
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by gamerod: 12:53pm On Dec 12, 2008
I watched the three minutes clip and i am like what the hell - who gives a damn about a white pussied Asian looking journalist who grabs a few MEND thieves together and makes a clip that speak nothing about the truth? who gives a hoot? Besides, is this new on CNN?
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by Muza(m): 12:56pm On Dec 12, 2008
GoldCircle:

whats your position on this? As for me, "na them sabi"! They can publish whatever they like. I don't give a hoot anymore! Time was when I cried over articles and special features like these. I have developed a tough skin for "stunts' like these over time!

I repeat na them get their mouth!

from your post i can understand that u hav been invited to come and chop grin
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by GoldCircle: 12:57pm On Dec 12, 2008
game_rod:

I watched the three minutes clip and i am like what the hell - who gives a damn about a white pussied Asian looking journalist who grabs a few MEND thieves together and makes a clip that speak nothing about the truth? who gives a hoot? Besides, is this new on CNN?
Abi o my brother, who has forgotten the Jeff Koinange saga so soon?? Only time again will tell!
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by codeworks(m): 1:13pm On Dec 12, 2008
i s a curse because militants and kidnapping. let talk about clean and safe energy
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by JustGood(m): 1:27pm On Dec 12, 2008
Thankfully we dont watch CNN or any American station for that matter in our family. We prefer to watch BBC news. Why did CNN not talk about oil being a curse several years ago when the oil was funding lots of things in America? Now that there is a disruption to the whole system and American oil companies dont find Nigeria as attractive as it used to be, CNN's eyes have opened to see the curse of oil.

Allow me rest jare.
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by Seun(m): 2:54pm On Dec 12, 2008
The report is nothing new. We all know these things already. Why are we making it such a big deal?
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by ow11(m): 3:02pm On Dec 12, 2008
@OP

Everyone knows that already.
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by Nobody: 3:17pm On Dec 12, 2008
Hmmm, How on earth does this miscellaneous stories concerns the poor masses in 9ja?

this should be an OLD story.
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by akume(m): 3:21pm On Dec 12, 2008
wetin them think na true oil money has been a curse rather than blessing to nigeria  everybody comes and chops why dont they want to work on alternative sources of revenue for the country any hardworking leader would no that nigeria does not have one source of revenue they are all the same from ibb to yaradua sad
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by Thadude(m): 3:25pm On Dec 12, 2008
What CNN did was right! Our planet is in peril and Nigeria is a major contributor they need to expose the big oil firm and the Nigerian govt to the world. Besides, it was fun watching the Naija delta guys spiral shooting. I dont know why people on this forum are angry over the exposure of the truth!!!, Remember the truth isnt always sweet.
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by AdamBrody1(m): 3:31pm On Dec 12, 2008
yawns at a very old story that doesnt move any nigerian anymore again! undecided

Yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by Epiphany(m): 3:41pm On Dec 12, 2008
These stories do not move me anymore.
But wait a minute - i think there really is a problem amongst us when these kind of stories do not move us anymore. Does that mean that we do not love our country any longer? Or does it mean that we have grown skins so thick, that the sight of pain and suffering does nothing to our emotions?
I am afraid to even answer my questions because i will shock myself.
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by Muza(m): 3:46pm On Dec 12, 2008
haba grin ,in nigeria Bad news is norms ai,its no news.
good news always sounds too good to be true grin.
thats naija for you.
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by naijaking1: 3:48pm On Dec 12, 2008
Do we need CNN to tell us what we already know: that countries that export oil don't progress, while countries that don't progress faster.

Oil Producer/exporters: Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Venezuala, Iraq, Iran, etc
Non-Oil Producers/exporters: US, France, Britain, Japan, China, India, Brazil, etc

You make up your mind.
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by saintade01(m): 4:01pm On Dec 12, 2008
forget all this . guys we need deliverance
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by Kobojunkie: 4:06pm On Dec 12, 2008
Yep, CNN is the reason for all the problems in Nigeria. Infact, the reporter is the one responsible for all the corruption that continues to hunt us in that country and yes, those who see these problems as an issue are not Nigerians and hate themselves. Problem solved!! grin
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by mystikal(m): 4:08pm On Dec 12, 2008
naijaking1:

Do we need CNN to tell us what we already know: that countries that export oil don't progress, while countries that don't progress faster.

Oil Producer/exporters: Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Venezuala, Iraq, Iran, etc
Non-Oil Producers/exporters: US, France, Britain, Japan, China, India, Brazil, etc

You make up your mind.
Good talk king, I was actually told the same thing by a british prof here, some days ago, oil rich countries do not have sustainable development when compared to non oil producing nations.

I saw the Planet in peril documentary last night, we all know d story already. but i was just fascinated by the way the militants were carelessly firing away, apart from all these, the planet really is in peril.
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by Nobody: 4:10pm On Dec 12, 2008
All this started from the very beginning. . . . where were we when the white man discovered oil? Probably killing twins in calabar. . . Well, "they" are way advanced than us. One of the thing that pisses me off is the fact that this same oil has been under our feet over the years and no one ever cared to know, until the white men came and dug it up 4 us. Honestly I wonder what this country will be like when the world no longer needs oil for power. . . . . Giant of Africa (my foot)
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by Ikeymann0O: 4:10pm On Dec 12, 2008
Kobojunkie:

yes, CNN is the reason for all the problems in Nigeria. Infact, the reporter is the one responsible for all the corruption that continues to hunt us in that country and yes, those who see these problems as an issue are not Nigerians and hate themselves. Problem solved!! grin

Dumb and as your name says, you are Okobo and also a Junkie so nothing expected from your mouth that makes sense.

GoldCircle:

Abi o my brother, who has forgotten the Jeff Koinange saga so soon?? Only time again will tell!
@ GoldCircle,

you need to stuff your mouth with a gold-circle condom so you go stop dey yearn nonsense on a serious post.
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by debosky(m): 4:11pm On Dec 12, 2008
@ naijaking

Not entirely accurate, Brazil will start exporting soon, the US does export, though it is a net importer, same as Britain.

The issue is more complex than a simple oil exporter - progress link you casually made.

It may not be news to some, but it is news to others - these issues need to continue being highlighted till something happens to cause a change.
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by sperrysun(m): 4:24pm On Dec 12, 2008
There is a lot of truth in this report, even if its coming from a source notorious for biased reportage of anything African. You only need to take a trip to the Niger Delta to understand that what the Ling woman and CNN reported is just a tip of the iceberg. My only anger is that this is no longer news, we live with it everyday, corruption,lack of basic amenities etc, my question is 'what is being done about it' Where is d international coalition against this man's inhumanity to man?

Well, what can one expect from an America that only speaks against evil when the evil is no longer favoring them, you name it, Rwandan massacre, war in Liberia & Senegal,even the DRC. America condones atrocities for as long the said atrocity benefits Uncle Sam,once it no longer does they would make a volte face and start condemning what they have always overlooked.

Any how,God bless 9ja!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by Muza(m): 4:27pm On Dec 12, 2008
Ikeymann0O:

@ GoldCircle,

you need to stuff your mouth with a gold-circle condom so you go stop dey yearn nonsense on a serious post.
grin cheesy grin LMFAO grin cheesy grin
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by GoldCircle: 4:51pm On Dec 12, 2008
Ikeymann0O:

@ GoldCircle,

May thunder strike and wither the three strands of hair around your pubic region for making such caustic comments against God's anointed!
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by Ikeymann0O: 4:58pm On Dec 12, 2008
GoldCircle:

May thunder strike and wither the three strands of hair around your pubic region for making such caustic comments against God's anointed!

The same thunder should strike the bleeding condom out of your God-annointed mouth and then you'll stop e-thugging.

Computer gangsta
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by ScanLess: 5:16pm On Dec 12, 2008
GoldCircle:

anointed condom!!!!!!!! , hey !!!! egwu di kwa!!. when God's angel of vengance visits you for the price of blasphemy, no run oo !!!
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by ebeano(m): 9:11pm On Dec 12, 2008
I'll give cudos to CNN for exposing to us what many of us have not seen but heard.
I wonder why our local TV stations have not been able to put up a documentary like this.
Reason being that they are sold out to the federal government(who wants his TV station shut down)

Do we have to wait for an outsider to help resolve the problems of Nigerdelta?

My eyes were really opened today seeing what course MEND is fighting for. We all know that if this
is happening in our village, we wont take it lightly. The fight has been for long. Many people have died both on sides cos
of the emancipation(supply of basic amenities as is in abuja) the Nigerdelta ppl are asking for.
Personally, if am from Nigerdelta, I wont stand the fact that from my compound comes out something
that is the sole source of income to the nation yet I lack basic amenities such as shelter, food, clean water etc.

@ Everybody that is against what CNN has done, wait till crude oil is discovered in ur compound then watch ur reactions
if ur neighbour is enriching himself alone and developing his compound.

Let the government find a way to resolve the issue without further delay. It might degenerate to something else. JTF can't solve it.
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by shotster50(m): 9:54pm On Dec 12, 2008
I dont see anything wrong with the report. I do not know why some people get so sensitive when anything Nigeria is mentioned in the western media, How do expect these problems to be solved without publicity
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by Obalende: 10:38pm On Dec 12, 2008
@shotster50

you are right but you might agree that sometimes these guys have this "holier than thou" tone to their reporting and an obvious putting out the african light to make theirs shine better.

They report corruption, many UK & US politicians have been probed in recent weeks, now what is their business with our oil

Shouldnt they ask if the 15 year high unemployment is a curse to the US first, get that settled before tackling a country over 8 hours away?

Enough publicity is raised within the African Union; we will always contact them if we need them (and we have historically proven to need them often which is fair enough). im not trying to be egoistic or anything.
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by shotster50(m): 11:14pm On Dec 12, 2008
@ Obalende,

This is not a matter letting them report whatever you want them to. They have a job to do and they are doing in as much as some times they tend to be biased or ignorant of Africa related news. We Nigerians live in self denial. we hate it when anything negative is reported about our country regardless of it being genuine or not. Why do we give these foreign reporters reasons to report these said news? No matter how biased they are, there is always some truth in what they say.
Re: CNN Says Oil Is A Curse To Nigeria! by KarmaMod(f): 11:20pm On Dec 12, 2008
It is.

I liked the CNN special actually.

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Reasons Why The SS And SE Voted In Mass For PDP (The Proudly 5%) / Buhari Is A Fraud - American Lawyer / Congratulations Lagos. Ambode Is Defeated.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.